Official Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - PART TWO

Re: Official 2013 Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - PART TWO

Postby Hal » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:01 pm

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! Official time…4:46:29. In short, I had a horrible run…bloody awful. But, I finished!!! And I couldn’t be happier.

As you probably know, I spent the last two days terrified. Extremely nervous about the race and my aching hip. To my surprise, neither my hip or even my knee were a factor in my pitiful run. Things weren’t right from the get-go. I finally got to sleep around midnight and got up at 5:30a. Not a bad night’s sleep. I think I slept less the night before both of my half marathons. I had my usual quick oats with raisins and cinnamon. I ate a slightly bigger bowl than usual. I drove myself downtown. Parked and geared up by 7a. Waited in line to relieve myself and spent about 10 minutes stretching out. This was likely, mistake number one. I should have stretched out longer. I was too eager to get up into the crowd at the start line. After the usual fanfare we were OFF! at 8a.

The run started well. I was happy that my hip wasn’t bothering me and just concentrated on digging in. This proved to be difficult. There were so many twists and turns in the opening miles and lots of small hills. We finally got out to the river park and things loosened up and I gained my focus. Around mile 8 was when I began to realize that I did not have my usual energy and strength. I knew there was trouble ahead. Things went fairly well through 13. I was around 2:05 at the half way point and was keeping a nice, slow steady 9:30-ish mile. Then from there, things began to unravel…and fast! By 15 or 16 I had slowed up the pace. I began getting the ‘jelly legs’ and felt like I had no energy. I was eating and drinking regularly, but the gels weren’t giving me the usual boost. By the loop around at 17 I was beginning to struggle. I began getting terrible cramps in my calves and rear of my thighs. I wasn’t alone. Many others around me were beginning to struggle too. So strange to see these guys that were tall and athletic looking, yet crying out in pain. By 20, the cramps were unbearable. I spent the next 6.2 miles walking, jogging, walking, jogging. I probably stopped no less than a dozen times to stretch my calves out during this section. The final 1.5 came and I walked up the ramp over the CT River bridge. There was a nice downhill into the city and I decided I wasn’t going to walk anymore. I was having violent calve contractions this entire 1.5. My wife and kids were screaming in the stands at the finish line and it was GLORIOUS. It was a very tearful reunion when I came out of the chute. I was completely overwhelmed and cried like a baby :)

So, I don’t know what to chalk it up too. Maybe I didn’t eat enough, and I lost way too much weight in the final month (158lbs this morning). Maybe I should have stretched out better. Maybe the ibuprofen I took earlier this week for my hip drained my reserves. Whatever. It was an insane experience, and despite the struggles, I am so proud of myself. It’ll be something I’ll remember forever. A HUGE check on my #bucketlist. I’ll be looking forward to training for another half marathon or two in the coming seasons.

A few random notes…pedro, the girl in the pink shorts passed me…and she was spectacular! I saw runner 666 run past on the long loop around…I flipped him the devil horns! \m/. I also passed a guy in a banana suit and told him how much I hate eating bananas :)

Pedro/NotBaker…your encouragement and advice, throughout the entire training process, has proven invaluable. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Despite the fact that we have all never met, I feel like we’re bonded brothers.

NOTBAKER…..KICK SOME ASS TOMORROW!!!! Stretch long and hard!!! Rock on!!!

Many more pics to follow...

GO SOX!!!
Hal

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Great job, Hal. Congrats.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:31 am

Congrats Hal! Great effort. It sounds like you perserved and made it through a tough run. It isn't always easy, but as you found out, it's pretty damn rewarding. I am very happy for you. I have two more pieces of advice for you.

1) Buy yourself a 26.2 sticker and slap it on your car. You earned it.

2) Wear your medal all day today. You earned that too.

Go Sox (and Pats!)

xxxHunterxxx - The 10K starts at 8:30. There are a ton more if that doesn't work for you.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:01 am

pedro wrote:Congrats Hal! Great effort. It sounds like you perserved and made it through a tough run. It isn't always easy, but as you found out, it's pretty damn rewarding. I am very happy for you. I have two more pieces of advice for you.

1) Buy yourself a 26.2 sticker and slap it on your car. You earned it.

2) Wear your medal all day today. You earned that too.

Go Sox (and Pats!)

Thanks pedro!

1) I'll settle for the free 26.2 button I received, which will hang in my office at work, alongside my bib.

2) Absolutely. Wore it all day yesterday. Plan to wear it again today.

Sore as hell this morning. But, still considering going out to pick up leaves this afternoon before the Pats game at 4:30p.

GO NB GO!!
Hal

Postby Hal » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:39 am

Some serious security. #bostonstrong

About 50 degres at the start. Much nicer than last years chilly 30 degrees.

Nearly 18,000 runners this year.

A nice section through the park along the river.

Bridge over the Connecticut river.

Coming home through the Arch.

Fist pump for my fans!

Finally crossing the line.

"Yes, I'll take a large pizza with pepperoni, sausage and bacon."

One of my direct reports came out to support me. BEST SIGN EVER.

This photo just doesn't convey the exhaustion and agony I was feeling for that first half hour or so after the race.
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 am

Awesome job, Hal. CONGRATS!!!!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED for me as well, with similar results. It was a nice morning, cool at the race start, but I was still a little concerned about the heat/weather later in the day. That turned out to be valid, as it was sunny and low 70s by the end of the race. (I ran the Half at the same race last year, and it was a constant chilly 55 the whole time. That would have been great this year.)

Felt really great at the start of the race. Ran just behind the 9:45 pace group for a long time. That was a little faster than my average long training run pace, but didn't feel like I was over-exerting myself at all. I knew I would slow down later in the race, and wanted to give myself a decent start. Ran the first 10 miles with no music, just watching the pace group ahead of me and listening to the race sounds (pedro's right about that). I hit the halfway point with a pretty good time, and still felt good. Right after that there was some mild hills, but I slowed down and still felt OK. Then - I started to feel some pain in my left rear thigh. It was kind of a shock, since I've always felt great at the 13-mile mark during my training runs. I didn't want to injure myself, so I was able to walk for a short bit, stretch it out, and start again at a slower pace. Still felt OK. Then at mile 19, I felt a similar pain in my other rear thigh. It also didn't help that miles 17 to 22 are a pretty drab part of the course. From about mile 19 onward, I alternated between walking and jogging at a slow pace. It was painful at times, but I did my best to keep at it. Felt like QWOP Runner at some points during my stretch-walking. Somehow I was able to propel myself onward with GU, water, and lots of Gatorade. At this point I was really just pushing myself from one mile marker to the end, just waiting for the finish. For the last mile, I managed to feel really good and ran it straight through. I think it was a combination of Group Sex on my iPod, crowd support, and knowing the finish line was just ahead. I was tired and sore and exhausted, knowing I'd finished felt great. My shirt was streaked with salt patterns. Last year I couldn't wait for a cup of coffee at the end, but it was much to hot for that this year. I managed to get down a bagel and some water, and felt a little better after an Odwalla Chocolate protein shake.

My only real goal was to finish, which I did. Beyond that, I wanted to finish under 5 hours, which I managed to do too. My wife and kids followed me along the route and cheered at several viewing spots, as well as at the finish. It was great to have the support along the way, and thanked then a lot once I started to feel a little better. Not sure what I could have done differently, or if the heat played a big role. My GU and hydration were the same (or better) than how I trained. I'm wondering if some protein late in the race would have helped.

Best sign I saw along the way: "Keep running, you never know who you might inspire" (or something to that effect)

After the race I:

-listened to some Artificial Peace
-Read some of George Pelecanos' latest
-Went to the Y and soaked in the hot tub
-Met a friend who also ran the full for a quick beer
-Grilled up some lamb chops, and enjoyed a good dinner and some more beer

I think I'm going to try and do a slow 3 mile recovery run today, and then take a lot of time OFF! Not sure when or if I have more marathons in me. Besides the physical toll, the amount of time needed to train is almost prohibitive until my kids are a little bigger. But I love the 13.1 distance, and may even plan to do some speedwork in the future.

Hal and Pedro - thanks for the tips, inspiration, and motivation along the way. You guys rock. Pedro -- you're next!!!
NotBaker

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 am

CONGRATS NB!!! You did it brother! Amazing job.

Wow man. Sounds like we had the exact same race. I guess I failed to mention the heat in my write up. That was certainly a factor in the final 2 hours. It became an inferno...and it was probably only 65-68 degrees. I remember in the final 5 miles seeing large strips of shade up ahead and thinking 'ok, that's where I'm going to start running again'. I was definitely dehydrated. I drank at every stop...water and Gatorade. But, I suppose it was never enough. I drank water and Gatorade for a couple of hours after the race and I still didn't take a piss until mid-late afternoon.

The more I reflect on the race, the more I think I'm strangely glad it went the way it did. I asked for the challenge...I wanted it. At the finish line last year I was like, 'that was it?...that was easy." With everything I went through this year, I proved a lot to myself and I'm very proud of the way I was able to push through it. It was a 2-year process to get there. Hardest thing I've ever done. Great life experience.

I had a fun weekend post-race...pizza, beer and college football Saturday afternoon...raked some leaves yesterday morning...then hot wings, beer and Patriots/Red Sox two incredible games!). Stretching out every few hours...also using a foam roller. Still incredibly sore. Taking the entire week off from running.
Hal

Postby pedro » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Excellent work, NB. Huge congratulations to you as well. I hope you have been wearing your medal since you crossed the line! You need a 26.2 sticker as well. I happy for both of you guys. You both did great jobs. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Also, don't abandon this thread (and me!) I still have 3 weeks to go!

Week 18 is in the books. Yesterday I ran 10 miles is the rain. I ran them on Beach Drive in DC and it was great because there were very few bikes. There were tons of wet leaves on the road, making biking very difficult. There were a bunch of runners though. The Georgetown University Cross Country team ran by me like I was standing still. I wanted to yell out "You're all 25 years younger than me!" as they passed. Fucking kids.

Yesterday: 10.87
Last Week: 56.20
Total: 720.49

Killer week. I am through the "training" portion of my program and I am now tapering. The focus is more on staying healthy and fit and being in good condition for the race. I drop to about 45 miles this week. I'm running the Army 10 miler next Sunday, so my long run (only 16) will be on Friday. I'm off today but get right back at it tomorrow.

19 days, 20 hours and 23 minutes to go.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:27 pm

pedro wrote:don't abandon this thread (and me!) I still have 3 weeks to go!

Haha! We wouldn't forget about you Obi Won. Finish your training strong!
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 pm

I went out today planning to do 3 miles, but was in pain before I even left my driveway. After a couple of false starts, I got moving and felt OK. The slow jog actually made my legs feel better at some points, and other times I still hurt like hell. Wound up just doing 2 miles, and was very happy with that. I'm in OFF!/recovery mode for at least a week now, and will see how I feel later. At this point I feel pretty good (much better than yesterday). The only place that really hurts is the backs of the knees/top of my calves, especially on my left leg. The backs of my thighs aren't really sore today.

For lunch I went out and got one of the subs HERE. I had them add pepperoni, which was delicious, but in retrospect, not really necessary. Told the guy at the deli that the sub was in celebration of running a marathon yesterday. He said that he's run a half before, but never a full. That's a lot of miles.

By far the best part of my pre-race carb loading was definitely the three smallish apple cider donuts I ate on Saturday. The rest of it was a pretty boring week of oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, beans, and hummus.

A couple of other random race thoughts:

-People who come out to cheer on racers are awesome. Around mile 18 I passed a group of kids sitting by themselves looking for high-fives. I was hurting, but that gave me a boost.

-It's pretty inspiring to see people who are older (and maybe less-fit, but who knows) trudge along and even pass you during the race. Now I don't like to get passed, but at that point I was all about finishing and not worrying about racing anyone.

-Before I ran a marathon, I tried to get some past marathoners to give me an idea of how hard it was. After all, I'd been able to go from zero to a half-marathon in under a year. They said it's as least as hard as twice a half. :) Part of my motivation for running the marathon was to do it now, before I got another year older. And now that I know what it involves and how hard it is, it will definitely put my training in perspective if I ever decide to do another one. But at this point I'm all about resting and easing back into <= 13 distances. And cheering for pedro. We'll still keep this thread warm.
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:33 am

Week 19!

Ran 6.28 miles today. I was only supposed to run 5, but what happens happens! I decided to run the Alps hill too. It went well, but I was slightly cold. I ran by a mom of one of my daughter's friends.

Today: 6.28
Total: 726.77

I run 9 miles with 3 repeats tomorrow . I'll run 4 easy miles on Thursday and then my long run of 16 on Friday. I need to keep this one under control speed wise. I am hoping PMD can join me to help set the pace. I (PMD too) need to get to the DC Armory on Friday to pick up my Army Ten Miler stuff. I'll be off on Saturday and then the ATM on Sunday. I should be "down" to about 45 miles this week.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:53 am

A perfect game. I never missed a single mile.

Hal

Postby pedro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Nice work, Hal. I hope you hold on to that as the training is definitely part of the marathon accomplishment.

This tapering thing isn't going well right now. I was supposed to do 9 miles with 3 at marathon pace. Well, due to some construction and a pit stop of more natural causes, I ended up running almost 10. I need to stop doing this.

I ran in new shoes. These are the shoes I will run the marathon in. I want to get about 70 miles on them before the race.

I received my number, wave start and corral assignment yesterday as well. It's getting close. I start at 10:05 AM. It will be weird to wait a couple of extra hours to run.

Today: 9.96
Week: 16.24
Total: 736.73
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Wow...that is a late start. I hope it's a nice cold day. Midday heat could get you like it did for us, if it's a warm day.

Found out yesterday that a friend's wife is running the Marine marathon this weekend. Aren't you running the 10-miler?
Hal

Postby pedro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Hal wrote:Found out yesterday that a friend's wife is running the Marine marathon this weekend. Aren't you running the 10-miler?

This weekend is the Army 10 Miler. I am running that. Next weekend is the Marine Corp Marathon. I will run down there and cheer.

EDIT: There is a 10K on the same course as the marathon next week.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:02 pm

pedro wrote:
Hal wrote:Found out yesterday that a friend's wife is running the Marine marathon this weekend. Aren't you running the 10-miler?

This weekend is the Army 10 Miler. I am running that. Next weekend is the Marine Corp Marathon. I will run down there and cheer.

EDIT: There is a 10K on the same course as the marathon next week.

Ahhh...didn't realize they were separate events. My bad.
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Nice work Hal. That's great commitment right there. I don't think I missed any long runs, but definitely missed some short runs here and there.

I am enjoying my OFF! week. Maybe a little too much.
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:47 am

A quick 4 miles this morning. The most memorable part of this run was the huge great dane I came upon. I actually stopped and played with him for a minute. The fact his owner/walker was a really cute young lady with a fantastic smile had nothing to do with me stopping to pet this awesome dog.

Today: 4.04
Week: 20.28
Total: 740.77

16 days.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:54 am

pedro wrote:The most memorable part of this run was the huge great dane I came upon. I actually stopped and played with him for a minute. The fact his owner/walker was a really cute young lady with a fantastic smile had nothing to do with me stopping to pet this awesome dog.

NotBaker

Postby Hal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 am

Just got in to work and saw this on our intranet page...

Hal

Postby Hal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:29 am

NotBaker wrote:I am enjoying my OFF! week. Maybe a little too much.

I'm right there with you. In my house, I declared this my "Week of Decadence!". I've enjoyed at least one beer every night thus far. I have also endulged with OREO cookies, fried chicken and Pop Tarts :)
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Hal wrote:Just got in to work and saw this on our intranet page...

Did you let Hannah know that you can set her up with an exclusive interview with pedro? 8-)
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Hannah Storm has always kind of creeped me out. Way too much botox and/or plastic surgery.

PMD and I drove down to the DC Armory to pick up our numbers for the Army Ten Miler on Sunday. We walked around the expo, looked at some stuff but didn't buy anything.

Then we set out on a 16 mile trek through DC and VIrginia. We had no set route so we pretty much were flying by the seat of our pants. We went right down the mall and over the Lincoln Memorial Bridge to Virginia. We ran along the Potomac for a bit and when PMD's watch hit 8 miles we headed back. We arrived at the armory at 15.75 miles so we had to do a little loop to get the full 16. PMD's watch said we ran a great negative split, averaging 9:25 per mile on the way out and 9:00 per mile on the way back. Always good to see.

Today: 16.01
Week: 36.29
Total: 759.78

Off tomorrow, Army Ten Miler on Sunday.
Last edited by pedro on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Sounds like a very cool, scenic run! Good luck in the Army race!
Hal

Postby pedro » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Ran the Army 10 Miler. 1:14:00. Set a new personal best. It was cold at 6:45 this morning!

Today: 10.00
Week: 46.29
Total: 766.78

End of week 19

13 days.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Great outing pedro! Get psyched for NYC!

I ran this morning for the first time since my marathon. Just a mellow 3 miles on a gorgeous fall day. I was stiff, but it felt good to get back out there. My wife and I just registered for a 10k/5k on Thanksgiving morning. This will be in Wilmington, DE, around the Dupont grounds. We do Turkey day with my cousins. Should be a good motivator for the next month.
Hal

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks Hal. As usual I am fearful that I ran too fast. I suck at disciplined running.

I ran with PMD's wife this morning. Four miles to the Trash Can. It was a nice and easy pace in cool weather. It was very relaxing.

Today: 4.21
Total: 770.99

FYI, here's a picture of The Trash Can:

Last edited by pedro on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:53 pm

That trash can needs a Dag Nasty sticker!! PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Another short run on a VERY cold morning. 35 degrees when I left the house. Did 3.2 with hills. Felt great.
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 am

I finally got out for a run this morning -- 4 miles. It was cold, but felt pretty good. I still had a little soreness in the back of my left knee, but overall I feel like I've rested and recovered well from the marathon. I have a 3K and a 5K Turkey Trot coming up in November. At this point I hope to just maintain a decent weekly mileage and run as much as I can before it gets too cold. Last year I was good as long as it stayed above freezing. I like to run in shorts year-round, with a heavy sweatshirt when it gets really cold. I'm thinking I may have to revisit my winter gear this year, if I want to stay outdoors. However, with marathon training behind me I'm hoping to split my time been running and some time at the gym.
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

I'm a shorts until it gets below freezing guy. i strongly urge you to get some winter running stuff if you are planning on running in the cold. A heavy sweatshirt can actually make you colder on longer runs because it holds all the sweat. A quality running jacket and a compression shirt is probably the way to go. Of course, they can be expensive.

I ran 6 miles to day. I was supposed to take it easy, but as usual ran a little too fast.

I'm off tomorrow.

Today: 6.03
Week: 10.24
Total: 777.02

10 Days, 23 hours and 28 minutes.

PS: Go Red Sox!
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:44 am

pedro wrote: compression shirt

Is this different (tighter?) than a standard wicking running shirt?
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:53 am

Yes, it's tighter. You can wear it under a regular running shirt or directly under a running jacket. It's usually referred to as a "base layer" for cold weather running.

Something like this:

Hello.
pedro

Postby clash77 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:36 pm

Good luck to all of you running in the NYC marathon on Nov 3..I'll be there ..My sister has been running the race for the last several years.She was disappointed last year after it was cancelled due to Sandy. All that training and no marathon..Tough to accept..
clash77

Postby Hal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 pm

clash77 wrote:Good luck to all of you running in the NYC marathon on Nov 3..I'll be there ..My sister has been running the race for the last several years.She was disappointed last year after it was cancelled due to Sandy. All that training and no marathon..Tough to accept..

VOTE FOR PEDRO!
Hal

Postby pedro » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 am

clash77 wrote:Good luck to all of you running in the NYC marathon on Nov 3..I'll be there ..My sister has been running the race for the last several years.She was disappointed last year after it was cancelled due to Sandy. All that training and no marathon..Tough to accept..

Thanks. I wish your sister good luck as well. I know exactly how she feels about last year, but I can always see that the folks who were devastated by Sandy had it much worse than I did. It makes it much easier to accept.

Hal wrote:VOTE FOR PEDRO!

Most appreciated. I am totally over anxious at this point. The next week is going to be tough.

I ran 6 miles on the treadmill today. My daughter is home sick so I couldn't get out of the house. I ran it while she was napping. I did 3 at my projected marathon pace.

I watched several episodes of the Three Stooges while I ran. You folks who don't like them are crazy.

I'm scheduled for 4 tomorrow and 12 on Sunday.

Today: 6.15
Week: 16.39
Total: 783.17

8 days, 21 hours and 32 minutes.

Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:07 am

Quick run to the Trash Can with PMD's wife. The fall is definitely here, as temps were in the 40's when we left. PMD's wife was a little slower than usual today, but that is probably good for me. We ran past a youth soccer extravaganza. I couldn't believe the chaos on that field. Hundreds of of little ones running around.

A friend of PMD was scheduled to run the Marine Corp Marathon tomorrow. He can't run it so PMD is going to do it. He's running the Philadelphia Marathon in November and he is scheduled for a 22 mile run tomorrow anyway.

Week: 20.60
Total: 787.38

12 on Sunday. I might run down to the marathon and cheer the runners for a little bit before heading back. We'll see.

7 days, 19 hours and 59 minutes.

PS: Go Sox!
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:24 am

I had a miserable night sleep. I didn't get out quite as early as I had hoped but I was running by about 8 AM. I ran down to the Marine Corp Marathon and watched the runners for a bit. The course is different this year and I watched from a new vantage point at about (I think) mile 8. There is a hairpin turn there, on Rock Creek Parkway at the Connecticut Avenue Bridge, and there was a pretty bad bottle neck for the marathoners. I would not have been pleased.

My run was alright. The fact that Rock Creek Parkway was closed more than usual was kind of cool. I love running in the middle of usually busy streets. I ran a little extra to reach the marathon but I tried to run slowly. I was moderately successful in that goal. The usually reliable bathroom was closed, which really made me mad, but I made it.

Today: 13.08
Week: 33.68
Total: EIGHT HUNDRED AND FORTY SIX ONE HUNDREDTHS FUCKING MILES.

Week 20 is done. Week 21 will start on Tuesday with a trash can run. Another trash can run on Thursday and then my ceremonial 2 miles on Saturday morning. Off to NYC after that.

The starting line is in sight.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 am

There was actual frost on the ground this morning. A quick four miles.

Today: 4.04
Total: 804.50

5 days.
Last edited by pedro on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 am

Go pedro, go!

I've been getting in 4-mile runs a couple times a week. I'm trying to maintain at least a decent base. I'd like to maybe sneak in some longer runs, but I've been busy. And I will admit this -- even having done a marathon, two halfs, and a handful of other races, I still don't feel like I'd consider myself a "runner." I know I've earned it, but it still feels weird to think of myself as a "runner." Not sure why.
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:56 am

Nice work, NB. You're a runner. There is no denying it.

I actually already have a plan for my next race. I'm eye balling two races actually. George Washington's Birthday Marathon in February and the Seneca Creek 50K (31 miles!) in March. I'm in the middle of coming up with a plan. I'm not definitely going to do them, but they are something to shoot for. They are inexpensive and you don't have to sign up real early so I'll see how things are going before I commit.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 am

NotBaker wrote:I've been getting in 4-mile runs a couple times a week. I'm trying to maintain at least a decent base. I'd like to maybe sneak in some longer runs, but I've been busy. And I will admit this -- even having done a marathon, two halfs, and a handful of other races, I still don't feel like I'd consider myself a "runner." I know I've earned it, but it still feels weird to think of myself as a "runner." Not sure why.

I can relate. I feel like that sometimes. But, I'm addicted. I need it...I crave it. Just a few miles will give me my fix. And it feels so good.

I ran 3 times last week. Already have two runs under my belt this week. Keeping it around 3.5-4 miles. Will likely add a long run in each week...but, only 6-7 miles. I'd love to maintain that through the winter. There's a half marathon series here in CT put on by the group Shoreline Sharks. The first one is in March. I think it would be cool to run all 4. We'll see how it goes.
http://www.shorelinesharks.com/

I'm excited for your run pedro!! You're going to kick ass!
Hal

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 am

Gosh, I hope they tell all those runners from Arizona to set their clocks back an hour Saturday night. Could lead to some serious confusion.
Pedro, if you can plan on passing the corner of Bedford Avenue and North 10th St. sometime around 11 - 1:15am I will try and say hi. I'll be the guy in the flannel shirt with the handlebar mustache and suspenders.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby NotBaker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Hal wrote:But, I'm addicted. I need it...I crave it. Just a few miles will give me my fix. And it feels so good.

Yup, this is me. If I don't run for a couple days, I'm definitely more prone to be grouchy. And running is one of my favorite ways to de-stress, relax, and clear my head. As far as not feeling like a runner, I think for me it's mainly because I've only been doing it for just under 2 years, and know others who have been running for a lot longer. But I'm definitely hooked.

4 quick miles today. It was beautiful out.

pedro - you won't need to worry about the time change, but - IMPORTANT - how are you on the AM/PM alarm clock setting situation? And does it have a separate control for alarm volume vs. radio volume? I'm glad my marathon is behind me, but the anticipation during the week before the race was an interesting feeling. GO GO GO! Do you have any post-marathon plans -- i.e., have you decided between Famous/Original Rays vs. Sbarro?
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 am

NotBaker wrote:pedro - you won't need to worry about the time change, but - IMPORTANT - how are you on the AM/PM alarm clock setting situation? And does it have a separate control for alarm volume vs. radio volume? I'm glad my marathon is behind me, but the anticipation during the week before the race was an interesting feeling. GO GO GO! Do you have any post-marathon plans -- i.e., have you decided between Famous/Original Rays vs. Sbarro?

I will have my phone, iPad and a wake up call making sure I am ready to go. I have no doubt I will barely sleep on Saturday night anyway.

My only post-marathon plan involves my hotel room, a shower, a bed and Pats-Steelers on the TV.

I Ran to the Trash Can for the last time of this training regiment. I ran with PMD's wife and it was quite enjoyable. A very nice controlled pace and great weather.

To not exactly quote New Order, two miles to go.

Week: 8.35
Total: 808.71

2 days , 22 hours and 20 minutes.

RED SOX!!!!
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Greetings from Manhattan. I ran two miles this morning and took off for New York. Training done, Race tomorrow. Early to bed and early to rise...

Today: 2.16
Week: 10.51
Total: 810.77
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 am

GO PEDRO GO!!!
Hal

Postby scannest » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:57 pm

CONGRATS PEDRO!!

3:44:39
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby pedro » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks scanny. I looked for you at N. 10th & Bedford, I guess you blended in perfectly with the rest of you hipsters! I PR'd by about three minutes, so I have to be happy with that!

I'll do a full breakdown later, but thanks to Hal and NotBaker. I appreciate your stories, experiences and advice.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm

CONGRATS PEDRO!
NotBaker

Postby Mark T. » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:39 am

CONGRATS PEDRO ! ! !

:bag:
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw