I'm a Loser Baby...

I'm a Loser Baby...

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 am

So, are you a loser or a winner? I think I'm extremely successful in terms of my personal life, but feel like a complete failure professionally. You?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: I'm a Loser Baby...

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:42 am

Next question?
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:49 am

Not sure which option that picture implies...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:01 pm

version sound wrote:So, are you a loser or a winner?

Well, I'm posting here, aren't I?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:13 pm

obik wrote:
version sound wrote:So, are you a loser or a winner?

Well, I'm posting here, aren't I?

Yes, but not nearly enough for the answer to be a foregone conclusion.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Hal » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Lucky in love, career, family and personal life...but, in debt up to my eyeballs.
Hal

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:08 pm

version sound wrote:Not sure which option that picture implies...

That picture is worth at least a 1,000 words.

The first that come to mind are: Opulence, quixotic and idyllic.
FlexMyHead

Postby drew » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:53 pm

I never complain about my career, I have been very lucky doing something I enjoy & make a decent living.

My personal life is in shambles, but I'm kinda getting used to that.......
drew

Postby obik » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:06 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
version sound wrote:Not sure which option that picture implies...

That picture is worth at least a 1,000 words.

The first that come to mind are: Opulence, quixotic and idyllic.

You skipped ugly.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:45 pm

obik wrote:
You skipped ugly.

I've been to enough conventions to know it when I see it and you sir, you've got a case of....Hummel-Envy. The only cure for it is more photos of Hummels.

FlexMyHead

Postby Michele » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

I love my personal life as a family and with goals reached with music-related activities, not so glad with my daily joib as I feel a little bit underrated and I must admit this is somehow mutual ;)
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:02 pm

version sound wrote:So, are you a loser or a winner? I think I'm extremely successful in terms of my personal life, but feel like a complete failure professionally. You?

Pretty much this.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:So, are you a loser or a winner? I think I'm extremely successful in terms of my personal life, but feel like a complete failure professionally. You?

Pretty much this.

I'm jealous of that library science degree. IANK. I'd be way more proud of that than my fairly worthless JD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:20 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Pretty much this.

I'm jealous of that library science degree. IANK. I'd be way more proud of that than my fairly worthless JD.

Don't be too jealous. I love what I do (when I have worked in the field), but all that it's gotten me are several, year-long unpaid internships at the same (admittedly awesome) institution (a historical society), a full-time but temporary summer job at a federal courthouse and a 4-month part-time gig at a prestigious womens' college that ended back in May and that was my last job. In the last two cases, I got great recommendations and they let me go with regret due to funding situations, so there's that, too.

I have loved all of these gigs and would love to continue working in the field, but finding a full-time, permanent job doing archival work in this area is like winning the lottery. It's been over two years since I got my degree and at least I'm getting interviews, but man it's tough out there. If I was unattached or circumstances were different somehow and I could look all over the country and/or the world, I would definitely have an easier time finding something or at least I could cast a wider net. I'm happy in this area, though.

Regardless, as a stay-at-home dad now, I feel like I work full-time hours plus overtime anyway!
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:24 am

i am trying to get any kind of job at the library out here, but it is pretty hard to get into. the library near me is really small, but it must have like at least 8 people on staff at all times and it is open everyday, it's so weird but it is cool.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:14 am

Finding work sucks. It looks like the "permanent" job I took last year is probably going to end no later than the end of November because they lost the government contract I was working on. Yay.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:20 am

version sound wrote:Finding work sucks. It looks like the "permanent" job I took last year is probably going to end no later than the end of November because they lost the government contract I was working on. Yay.

man,if i could have even had a glimpse of what the job market was going to be like after 2003 or so for college grads with just a B.A., I would have gone straight into grad school to get a degree that would be useful today, or more likely just have skipped college and learned a trade. I used to paint houses and was going to stick with it but that industry got all fucked up too.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:28 am

I have two grad degrees and neither has been much help in getting a permanent gig. In DC, a JD is pretty worthless unless 1) You went to a top tier school and graduated in the top 10% of your class or 2) You know someone who can get you a job. My MA in English lit is almost completely worthless. I almost quit after my first year of law school to go design school. I should have. My wife works in design and makes way more than I do.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 am

version sound wrote:I have two grad degrees and neither has been much help in getting a permanent gig. In DC, a JD is pretty worthless unless 1) You went to a top tier school and graduated in the top 10% of your class or 2) You know someone who can get you a job. My MA in English lit is almost completely worthless. I almost quit after my first year of law school to go design school. I should have. My wife works in design and makes way more than I do.

yeah, i mean i would have gotten something really specific that would have benefited me immediately. maybe one of those doesn't exist though. i guess i could have gotten an MA in education and gotten into teaching before that world got hard to get into.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:42 am

That's what I thought I was doing with law school. I was completely clueless about the reality of the job market. I probably should have gone into computer science.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:47 am

fuck, dbl post
Last edited by yourenotevil on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:50 am

version sound wrote:That's what I thought I was doing with law school. I was completely clueless about the reality of the job market. I probably should have gone into computer science.

well, law always seemed like a tougher field to get into. in 2005 or 2006, a private school would still probably hire you right out college to teach a basic english class for 30 to 35k/year with the expectation that you would probably be gone in a year or two to go back to grad school or move onto something else. it is impossible to get anything like that now, even with a lot of teaching experience. if you were also willing to coach a sport or something that made you even more desirable.
yourenotevil

Postby NotBaker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:15 am

version sound wrote:That's what I thought I was doing with law school. I was completely clueless about the reality of the job market. I probably should have gone into computer science.

I have a liberal arts BA, and for a long time I planned to go to law school. When I actually started prepping for the LSAT in my senior year of college, my scores continually declined from the first test I took cold and didn't start all that high to begin with. I wound up registering for the LSAT, but decided the night before the test to bail. The overall job market was strong at the time, and compared with some of my friends, my heart wasn't really into going to law school. I've kicked around going to law school part time in the past, but ultimately decided against it. I have never regretted that decision to bail on the LSAT.
NotBaker

Postby version sound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Smart man. I actively try to talk people out of law school, or at least open their eyes to the reality of it. Everyone in DC thinks law school is the short path to credibility and respect. I try to dissuade them of that notion.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:20 pm

version sound wrote:It looks like the "permanent" job I took last year is probably going to end no later than the end of November because they lost the government contract I was working on.

Is the company that won the contract in the area? If so, you might wanna try to move with the contract. It happens all the time.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:59 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
version sound wrote:It looks like the "permanent" job I took last year is probably going to end no later than the end of November because they lost the government contract I was working on.

Is the company that won the contract in the area? If so, you might wanna try to move with the contract. It happens all the time.

Nope. Texas.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:02 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Nope. Texas.

The commute to Arlington isn't that bad.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:50 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i am trying to get any kind of job at the library out here, but it is pretty hard to get into. the library near me is really small, but it must have like at least 8 people on staff at all times and it is open everyday, it's so weird but it is cool.

I heard they have great hide and seek games. :lol:

Seriously, good luck! I've repeatedly heard how tough it is get a job in the PDX over the years.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:51 pm

version sound wrote:I have two grad degrees and neither has been much help in getting a permanent gig.

Same here.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i am trying to get any kind of job at the library out here, but it is pretty hard to get into. the library near me is really small, but it must have like at least 8 people on staff at all times and it is open everyday, it's so weird but it is cool.

I heard they have great hide and seek games. :lol:

Seriously, good luck! I've repeatedly heard how tough it is get a job in the PDX over the years.

trying to get a good job here is like lee marvin trying to get laid at a bikini kill show.
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:58 pm

I've got a HS diploma & certified Floor Care Technician degree. The only gig I've got (even though it's unsteady) is being a Wedding DJ assistant. I hope to get as many of these as possible but maybe get hired to work @ local Petco (the deals I'd get on stuff for my boy, Cat-Astrophe, would be cool).

And I know plenty of people with College degrees who are working shit jobs. Best o' luck to my fellow Dags out there :!:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 am

I was out of work for 3 years and eventually had to move in order to secure full time employment.

But that was a year ago. I really like my job, I didn't get hosed too terribly on the sale of my house, my son is an excellent public school thanks to the dilligence of my amazing wife and while we live in an apartment a third the size of our house, it is in the middle of NYC with lots of old friends nearby.

So, it's all good.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Return to daghouse