blogging the Dischord catalog

blogging the Dischord catalog

Postby captain2man » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:11 pm

I thought maybe this would be of interest.

I'm reviving a blog I pretty much abandoned years ago and intend on blogging through the entire Dischord catalog from the Teen Idles 7" to the present day.

No real rhyme or reason for doing this....just sort of like - why not? Each release will get their own post....one by one....week by week (or so).

Introductory post is up....a lot of you know these records much more than I do, and would always welcome any thoughts.

http://12notesisenough.blogspot.com/201 ... talog.html
captain2man

Re: blogging the Dischord catalog

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Great idea! I was a Dischord completist for ages.

Until I made the only natural progression. Sold all my punk records and bought progressive house music white label 12" collections. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kidding.

Not really though.

But I still love Dischord, unlike Version Sound who hates old school hardcore. Fucking poser.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby BAIN » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:20 am

This will be awesome.

One thing that would be pretty rad for you to do is link the bandcamp to each record.
BAIN

Postby captain2man » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:59 am

BAIN wrote:This will be awesome.

One thing that would be pretty rad for you to do is link the bandcamp to each record.

I will do just that....thanks for the suggestion!
captain2man

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:39 pm

I'd start from scratch without the random other posts, so the blog is 100% the Dischord catalog.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm a sucker for reading anything Dischord related, so I'll be reading along.

I wouldn't ask Obik to assist, I remember on his webpage dedicated to DC stuff (he had a lot of good information on there and unique comments/content) he pretty much hated almost everything past the 15th release and even then it seemed to pain him, like hurt his soul, to pay a compliment to any release entirely. It was like he was Steve Albini but without the pedigree. I can't remember exactly but for In My Eyes he said something like "pretty solid songs, but lacking in material". Ok. Was a shame cause he had a wealth of knowledge and a very early web page on this (before Pintrest and Instagram pages with the same thing recycled over and over again).

There are a few (infrequent) Daghouse posters that played on some releases, maybe they could come up with some content/quotes? I know they must have been asked every which way every question worth a damn already (times two), but maybe you could get something out of them in a way that hasn't been done before?

You have the basic Discord pressing info and such? I could cut and paste that if it would be of a help, I'm sure you could google it also.

This made me want to try to finish up my Minor Threat gigography this summer. I've worked on it for a few years as I digitized audio shows and scanned flyers that I collected, then about a month ago I found out another poster (Nico) has had one up for several years. Turns out there are (at least) two people in the world that care! Dagboard, bringing OCD pat-rack-information-documentation nerds together from across the globe!
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 pm

You need to update your Jawbreaker page with the info I gave you.
the mean

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm

There is a lengthy article on the Snakes in the new Ugly Things. It was written by an expensively coiffured dude who loves orange soda.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby BAIN » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 am

the mean wrote:You need to update your Jawbreaker page with the info I gave you.

Link?
BAIN

Postby captain2man » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 am

the mean wrote:I'd start from scratch without the random other posts, so the blog is 100% the Dischord catalog.

This won't be a rule....but given how infrequently I've used the blog since I started it....it's probably how it will turn out.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I'm a sucker for reading anything Dischord related, so I'll be reading along.

I wouldn't ask Obik to assist, I remember on his webpage dedicated to DC stuff (he had a lot of good information on there and unique comments/content) he pretty much hated almost everything past the 15th release and even then it seemed to pain him, like hurt his soul, to pay a compliment to any release entirely. It was like he was Steve Albini but without the pedigree. I can't remember exactly but for In My Eyes he said something like "pretty solid songs, but lacking in material". Ok. Was a shame cause he had a wealth of knowledge and a very early web page on this (before Pintrest and Instagram pages with the same thing recycled over and over again).

There are a few (infrequent) Daghouse posters that played on some releases, maybe they could come up with some content/quotes? I know they must have been asked every which way every question worth a damn already (times two), but maybe you could get something out of them in a way that hasn't been done before?

You have the basic Discord pressing info and such? I could cut and paste that if it would be of a help, I'm sure you could google it also.

This made me want to try to finish up my Minor Threat gigography this summer. I've worked on it for a few years as I digitized audio shows and scanned flyers that I collected, then about a month ago I found out another poster (Nico) has had one up for several years. Turns out there are (at least) two people in the world that care! Dagboard, bringing OCD pat-rack-information-documentation nerds together from across the globe!

Thanks.

My goal isn't to become a historical resource....I don't intend on doing much research or interviews or anything like that. I'll leave that to the documentary makers. These are just going to be my thoughts and reflections as I surf through the catalog.

But my intent is definitely to get conversations going via the comments sections and if someone who actually participated in the making of one of those records comes along and writes something, all the better.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:07 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I can't remember exactly but for In My Eyes he said something like "pretty solid songs, but lacking in material". Ok.

I didn't always agree with his take on things, but I'd say that's pretty accurate. Three originals that don't best the first EP and a Monkees cover. IMHO, it's easily the weakest of the first six releases.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:10 pm

version sound wrote:I didn't always agree with his take on things, but I'd say that's pretty accurate. Three originals that don't best the first EP and a Monkees cover. IMHO, it's easily the weakest of the first six releases.

Yeah, too each their own. Here is what he said about In My Eyes:

This would be the best Minor Threat record if it only had another song or two. The writing's better than their first record, but not by much--that's is one case where quantity definitely triumphed over quality. That said, this record packs one hell of a wallop. I don't know about you, but Ian MacKaye's scream of "at least I'm fucking trying...what the fuck have you done?" is THE defining Minor Threat moment. These songs are the tightest, meanest, and best thing Minor Threat would ever record.

And Leglass Bull:
This record is so bad...I mean, it's...it's...it's just awful. GI aren't a band, they're a mess. Every instrument is off doing something else: the guitar wobbles along, the bass player is running around in circles, and John's just yelling over the racket, trying to call the song to order.

This is completely inept punk rock thrash, but it's got charm, originality and a unique spark that makes it stick in your head--joie de vivre, that's what this record's got. This is easily the most engaging thing the band ever recorded. They did turn into a tight, competent thrash (and later more melodic) band, making records that could smoke this one musically, but they lost that spark that grabbed my attention in the first place.

and....then Out of Step:

Minor Threat were such a great band, but they managed to put out two of the most disappointing records ever, the Salad Days 7" and this particular...work. The five piece Minor Threat were an absolute powerhouse live, still capable of reaching the same frenzied heights as their first two records, but when they went into the studio they just lost it. Instead of the raw, mean-ass sound on their first two records, they've got standard rock geeeetar (but two of 'em, so it's twice as good as Bruce Springsteen!). MacKaye's vocals are still powerful, but shouted choruses were punk rock cliche, even in 1979, so in 83 they just sound pathetic. Part of the appeal of the first two Minor Threat records was that Ian MacKaye was who you heard screaming, and it just seemed that much more intense because of the intimacy--it was a one on one, him and you, not Ian and Jeff and Lyle and Steve and Brian and a dozen other DC kids and you.

Again, I'm not telling somebody their ears don't work as good as mine...but...come on now. I don't even think MXV would already be calling Out of Step cliche?
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:49 am

I don't agree with the second two at all. I love all GI, and Out of Step is probably my favorite MT record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:49 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:There is a lengthy article on the Snakes in the new Ugly Things. It was written by an expensively coiffured dude who loves orange soda.

A) I predicted that you would somehow bring up that Snakes album (that I once owned)

B) I looked on that website and can't find the article which means you are lying.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse