I bought some used LP & 7" today

I bought some used LP & 7" today

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:09 pm

I was heading to a record store to buy a Descendents ticket (playing April 12th!) and I saw that a used record store was in a new location so I stopped by and bought a bunch of random ass shit. The owner is a nice guy and knows a lot about music (been in several bands himself) and shot the shit about things (he was telling me about how great the All (with Dave) and Chemical People show was in Tampa in 1988). Anyways, his records were priced a bit high, but I'm yuppie. See anything you'd like? I already had copies of some, but Jebus, Midge wtf were you guys thinking with that 7" cover? It's the fucking worst, hahaha

EDIT:

Oh, the record I was talking about didn't come out very well, here is a better shot of it:

FlexMyHead

Re: I bought some used LP & 7" today

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Certainly not my idea. I gave the dude the Tom the song and Lance Hahn (J Church (Rest in Peace) gave him a song and Dead Beat recs did the cover himself. :(

I think Aquaman is still pissed off at the at the label dude or someone who lived at that house. he left a poster there and never got it shipped home from that tour.

In other news, i like pretty much 95% of all the records I see in your picture so send them all to me free of charge as a gift of love. thanks.

Who the hell would get rid of those Plaid Retina or Verbal assault albums? Both are outstanding!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am

Wow...nice haul!
Hal

Postby the mean » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm

We just played with a band that had an ex-member of the Libido Boyz a couple weeks ago. Dude just had a kid, though, so he wasn't there, and they played with only one guitarist.
the mean

Postby the mean » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Also, Sewer Trout fucking rules. RIP Jim.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 pm

David Hayes has a Very Small Record site up on Band Camp. A lot of of the old catalog are up there. Some even for free to download. Or name your price for what you want to pay. Good times.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby aquaman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:07 am

Pretty sure I'm over it now...however, story is that one of the guys there worked at Tower Records, the Go-Go's were going to be there signing Beyond the Valley CD when released so I asked if I gave him my address and the cash (gave him $20 or $30) if he would get one signed and send it. I am still waiting...at least when I did this to earthdog with the Briefs, I paid for the record...I still have it on the bench to ship 2 years later (maybe longer)
aquaman

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 am

I did the cover for this 45. I thought this one came out pretty good. It was a gatefold 7" 3 song, hand stamped label and numbered to 1,000 on CI Records. Its when we had Gary Bennett from Kill your Idols and Sheer Terror in the Band and right before we broke up. Last U.S. tour.

I did the all the artwork myself. FlexMyHead...hows come I never got credit for this? YOU ALWAYS HATED ME AND HAVE BEEN ON A MISSION TO GET ME FIRED AND LOSE MY 22 YEAR PENSION.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I did the cover for this 45. I thought this one came out pretty good. It was a gatefold 7" 3 song, hand stamped label and numbered to 1,000 on CI Records. Its when we had Gary Bennett from Kill your Idols and Sheer Terror in the Band and right before we broke up. Last U.S. tour.

I did the all the artwork myself. FlexMyHead...hows come I never got credit for this? YOU ALWAYS HATED ME AND HAVE BEEN ON A MISSION TO GET ME FIRED AND LOSE MY 22 YEAR PENSION.

Hold up now....in certain circles I'm known as "Mr. 442" as I am the proud owner of the 442/1000 copy of the below record. There are 999 other people in this most elite club (while minus a few copies that might be in various used record storezs). In all seriousness, I own more Sleeper/Serpico 7" than maybe even some band members do!?! I actually saw a Sleeper 7" with a different cover that I might have to go back and get...

I bought the Sewer Trout because it had an insert that mine didn't. The Agent Orange was a Europe release, the Husker Du was the colored RSD release from a few years back, the Flipside LP was Europe release, Dag Nasty was on blue and I buy all colored copies I see, GI was on a purple color I didn't have, Ian's sister band is pretty bad, I think I sold/gave mine away ages ago, Samiam 4x7 was also Europe release (as was Libido Boyz and great eye to just see the top part of their logo! I think I really just liked 2 songs from that 7" that had the plastic finger puppets, but what the hell, that record label put out Drive and Jailcell Recipies who I liked as well).

And yeah, I'd be kinda pissed for a label to put a fucking chess computer image bullshit. Maybe it's a famous move or their is some history behind it? Seems lazy and basic as fuck to me though?
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:47 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Ian's sister band is pretty bad, I think I sold/gave mine away ages ago

Is there a Desiderata 7" up there? If so, it's hard to see. Anyway, some real bangers there; those Agent Orange (mine's an '86 repress on Posh Boy; thought I had an original until a friend posted it on Instagram really recently and it was the same as mine), Shades Apart and Dag Nasty record are all personal favorites. I love the 411 7", too, have (and really like) the Husker Du and Marginal Man releases you have.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:29 pm

FlexMyHead wrote: Maybe it's a famous move or their is some history behind it? Seems lazy and basic as fuck to me though?

The history is that the label guy was prolly lazy.

I don't know if J Church had control of their cover either. We did play a show with them in Jon Hiltz (Born Against) basement once and it was a lot of fun. Lance was a VERY VERY cool guy. I was very glad to make his acquaitance and share record grooves with him. I was a honored, being quite the fan of Cringer and of course J Church. He passed away too young. :(
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:34 pm

JGJR wrote:Is there a Desiderata 7" up there? If so, it's hard to see.

Right there in the middle, between Dag and Husker Du.
the mean

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 am

FlexMyHead wrote:In all seriousness, I own more Sleeper/Serpico 7" than maybe even some band members do!?! I actually saw a Sleeper 7" with a different cover that I might have to go back and get...

Do you have the 'More or Less' 7" on Mugglewump? That's one of only two Sleeper recordings I play on:

https://www.discogs.com/Sleeper-More-Or ... se/1801476

And g*d bless the interent - that someone would go the trouble of scanning the entire booklet that came with that thing, along with the actual record. I love stumbling across this stuff.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am

the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:Is there a Desiderata 7" up there? If so, it's hard to see.

Right there in the middle, between Dag and Husker Du.

I see it now. Thanks. I was wondering what that was. I never had that one (remember liking it back in the day, though; my old friend Mat Gard used to play it on Radio Riot, Rutgers radio station WRSU's punk/hardcore show that he did in the early '90s).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am

scannest wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:In all seriousness, I own more Sleeper/Serpico 7" than maybe even some band members do!?! I actually saw a Sleeper 7" with a different cover that I might have to go back and get...

Do you have the 'More or Less' 7" on Mugglewump? That's one of only two Sleeper recordings I play on:

https://www.discogs.com/Sleeper-More-Or ... se/1801476

And g*d bless the interent - that someone would go the trouble of scanning the entire booklet that came with that thing, along with the actual record. I love stumbling across this stuff.

You're on Time and Tide, too, right? I love that record.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:54 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote: Maybe it's a famous move or their is some history behind it? Seems lazy and basic as fuck to me though?

The history is that the label guy was prolly lazy.

I don't know if J Church had control of their cover either. We did play a show with them in Jon Hiltz (Born Against) basement once and it was a lot of fun. Lance was a VERY VERY cool guy. I was very glad to make his acquaitance and share record grooves with him. I was a honored, being quite the fan of Cringer and of course J Church. He passed away too young. :(

I saw J Church there in the summer of '94, but got there late and missed part of their set. Were you guys on that bill, too???
JGJR

Postby the mean » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am

scannest wrote:Do you have the 'More or Less' 7" on Mugglewump? That's one of only two Sleeper recordings I play on

I have this record. Used to trade with Marianne in the early 90s (and with Midge). Got to hang with Marianne this summer in Europe, and played with her band, who were awesome.
https://farrokhbulsara.bandcamp.com/
the mean

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 pm

the mean wrote:I have this record. Used to trade with Marianne in the early 90s (and with Midge). Got to hang with Marianne this summer in Europe, and played with her band, who were awesome.
https://farrokhbulsara.bandcamp.com/

I never knew the players involved. That was all Midge. That said, I spent a lovely couple of weeks in the company of 2 German bands - Sharon Tate's Children and Sway Skid. I think someone from STC was behind the label that put out our full-length.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm

I saw one of the very few Desiderata shows in DC and Marianne was with me. They were not that bad.

Circus Lupus
Desiderata
Fine Day...
+ 1 more..

I believe we stayed at Mike Harbin's house who was the roadie and soundman for Jawbox at the time. I just messaged him for a trip back to DC this summer. Small world.....

Everything is connected......

Time is illusion
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I saw one of the very few Desiderata shows in DC and Marianne was with me. They were not that bad.

Midge, do you recall that Desiderata played a show on Staten Island (at the Red Spot)? I can't for the life of me remember how that came about, but I kinda think I was on the bill with either the In Crowd or maybe it was Sleeper?
Ringing any bells?
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am

Hmmm... yeah...a while back but pretty sure it was In Crowd.

Around 91...? When I was a buyer for Our Music Center and I used to deal directly with Amanda MacKaye to get records from Dischord Direct. Only thing I remember was Pilster telling me that J. mcGlymn was chatting with Amanda and said to her quite innocently, hey, you’re Ian’s sister from Minor Threat, right?!?

She was like “yeah”.

And Jim says...”Wow, that’s awesome. I’m a fan! Is he singing for any bands these days?!”

Shes’ like “yeah, he’s in a band called Fugazi”

And Jim was impressed. Some people listening around were hiding their heads, but Jim truly is not that deep into alt/ punk/music ...and soooo.... :)
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am

I could be wrong though.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Ah man, everytime I think about Lance it bums me out (same about Kirsch, who I kinda pair with him). I saw J Church a handful of times over the years and they were always solid, but I saw Cringer once in Germany with Citizen Fish and it was great. Kamala broke her hand or foot or something so she wasn't able to drum but they were a blast. I was a young kid and was so stoked to see East Bay Punx in person, haha. J Church were great pop punk, but Cringer had more of a weird edge/gritty aspect.

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I saw one of the very few Desiderata shows in DC and Marianne was with me. They were not that bad.

See/listen for yourself:

Didn't knock my socks off (cause I live in Florida and only wear Birkenstocks!), but wasn't as bad as my memory lead me to believe.
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:17 pm

I had that record. I thought it was ok. I hated Warmers. and highback Chairs.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I hated... highback Chairs.

THEMS FIGHTIN' WORDS!
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Ah man, everytime I think about Lance it bums me out (same about Kirsch, who I kinda pair with him). I saw J Church a handful of times over the years and they were always solid, but I saw Cringer once in Germany with Citizen Fish and it was great. Kamala broke her hand or foot or something so she wasn't able to drum but they were a blast. I was a young kid and was so stoked to see East Bay Punx in person, haha. J Church were great pop punk, but Cringer had more of a weird edge/gritty aspect.

I like Cringer's Zen Bones, Zen Flesh 7" more than any J Church record and kinda for the same reason. You articulated it perfectly. The only time I saw Citizen Fish was in '94 and they played with Spitboy at my college.
JGJR

Postby aquaman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:19 pm

scannest wrote:

Midge, do you recall that Desiderata played a show on Staten Island (at the Red Spot)? I can't for the life of me remember how that came about, but I kinda think I was on the bill with either the In Crowd or maybe it was Sleeper?
Ringing any bells?

I believe Amanda lived on Staten Island. I think when we saw Fugazi at Columbia/Bard there was some banter with Ian about how we had come from SI for the show and he mentioned his sister had lived there. I think I made the mistake of asking what area of the Island and he mocked me with a "What does that matter?" As me mum would say "I was just making conversation" Geez buddy.
aquaman

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:50 pm

I went digging through a few boxes of records in my parents basement. I was surpised that I still have Sonic Youth 'Kill Yr Idols' 12" on Zensor (German label) which goes for anywhere between $30 and $80

I am THINKING.....about selling my remaining punk collection.... and .....*GULP*.... trying to rebuy all the house 12" records that I got rid of.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This quest might take me a few years to catch up.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:Ah man, everytime I think about Lance it bums me out (same about Kirsch, who I kinda pair with him). I saw J Church a handful of times over the years and they were always solid, but I saw Cringer once in Germany with Citizen Fish and it was great. Kamala broke her hand or foot or something so she wasn't able to drum but they were a blast. I was a young kid and was so stoked to see East Bay Punx in person, haha. J Church were great pop punk, but Cringer had more of a weird edge/gritty aspect.

I like Cringer's Zen Bones, Zen Flesh 7" more than any J Church record and kinda for the same reason. You articulated it perfectly. The only time I saw Citizen Fish was in '94 and they played with Spitboy at my college.

Cringer was a better band.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby XBambi's RevengeX » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:15 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I am THINKING.....about selling my remaining punk collection.... and .....*GULP*.... trying to rebuy all the house 12" records that I got rid of.

That is moronic. Getting rid of records is ALWAYS moronic :shock:

Never heard Spitboy before .... good stuff.
XBambi's RevengeX

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:34 am

XBambi's RevengeX wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I am THINKING.....about selling my remaining punk collection.... and .....*GULP*.... trying to rebuy all the house 12" records that I got rid of.

That is moronic. Getting rid of records is ALWAYS moronic :shock:

Never heard Spitboy before .... good stuff.

oh...?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 pm

You all will be excited to hear that I once again went down to my local punk rock record shop and paid too much for old punkish records that I vaguely remember reading about in MRR or seeing in Toxic Shock mailorder.

See anything you know/like/have?

I was excited to get a nice copy of Anhrefn's 1st LP, they sing in Welsh (like Welly, where the fuck is that guy) and also a Sleeper record with a different sleeve (I had the red cover and the blue cover with white text). Most the rest is typical mid-tempo punx shitz.

FlexMyHead

Postby rawpowerNZ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 pm

I miss the Boyo from the Valleys too.
rawpowerNZ

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 am

That Sleeper 45 is the original pressing of 1,000. I think the insert was green card stock. Black wax. 1991.

We played with the Parasites once on tour once in Green Bay, WI. Very well attended. Got paid very well.

AND ...then most of the money went to paying for a tire that night that was flattened driving over glass in the parking lot. Unless it was intentionally slashed..? :( :?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Dissent was a really fucking good band, both with the original singer, and then when Bob took over. I think Bob was killed by a drunk driver, if I remember correctly. Both those LPs rule.
the mean

Postby the mean » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:highback Chairs.

When we were in DC for the Soul Side / Swiz show a couple years ago we had breakfast at one of the vegan spots. I went to the bathroom and came back and Mrs. Mean was talking to a couple with twins. Twin parents find each other in a crowd. Turns out that it was Peter Hayes from High Back Chairs. Super nice dude.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm

That Jeff Dahl album is awesome. I used to have that. One of the earliest Sympathy for record Industry releases. Whey they were good. The Roky Erickson cover is perfect.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:35 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:That Sleeper 45 is the original pressing of 1,000. I think the insert was green card stock. Black wax. 1991.

If blue cover/green text is 1st press, 1000.....is 2nd press is blue cover, white text/different font (yellow vinyl) pressed amount ?.....and 3rd press is Red cover with pink/white vinyl?
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:50 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:That Sleeper 45 is the original pressing of 1,000. I think the insert was green card stock. Black wax. 1991.

If blue cover/green text is 1st press, 1000.....is 2nd press is blue cover, white text/different font (yellow vinyl) pressed amount ?.....and 3rd press is Red cover with pink/white vinyl?

Its been decades. I'd have to research myself. I know there were around 3400 total. The rarest copies were on pink wax.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby matt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 am

the mean wrote:Dissent was a really fucking good band, both with the original singer, and then when Bob took over. I think Bob was killed by a drunk driver, if I remember correctly. Both those LPs rule.

He was. Just yesterday, I actually drove by the spot where he and his girlfriend were killed in Fort Collins, CO. I wouldn't have known it, but my gf pointed it out, as she actually saw the accident scene the night that it happened. Dissent was a great band. :cry:
matt
Site Admin

Return to daghouse