Oh Midge....

Oh Midge....

Postby scannest » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:50 am

I can't believe you saw Jawbreaker play their first NY show in 20+ years last night and haven't posted a detailed review yet. It's been well over 12 hours since the show ended.
Get yer shit together.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Oh Midge....

Postby Beach Log » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:23 pm

He got kicked out during the first song for getting on stage and trying to make lunch plans with Blake.
Beach Log

Postby drew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Midge gave me a VIP wristband when we got there. I didn’t go back with him, I wasn’t in the mood to fanboy. That was the last I saw him. Adam looked a little freaked out when he took the stage, I figured that had Midge written all over it.
drew

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 am

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/jawbreaker ... w-setlist/

Still curious if this will lead to brand new songs or just the classics.
FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Night #2 had them swapping out songs from 24 Hour... and Dear You for other songs on [b]24 Hour...and Dear You. Same length, same no songs from Bivouac.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm

I was there for night #1 (saw Midge from a distance).

I knew what I was getting into with a total lack of earlier songs, but good grief, after 22 years gone you would think they might throw the older fans a bone. I know Dear You has become this legendary & influential album, but, in my opinion, Unfun and Bivouac are far more ground-breaking.

Whey they hate those records so much is beyond me.
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm

drew wrote:Midge gave me a VIP wristband when we got there. I didn’t go back with him, I wasn’t in the mood to fanboy. That was the last I saw him. Adam looked a little freaked out when he took the stage, I figured that had Midge written all over it.

Prolly a good thing you didn't hang with all us V.I.People...

we laughed at you and made fun. Pointed at you from the balcony. Giggled some more. And remember when you thought someone was pouring warm "beer" on you from up there? :twisted:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 pm

captain2man wrote:I was there for night #1 (saw Midge from a distance).

I knew what I was getting into with a total lack of earlier songs, but good grief, after 22 years gone you would think they might throw the older fans a bone. I know Dear You has become this legendary & influential album, but, in my opinion, Unfun and Bivouac are far more ground-breaking.

Whey they hate those records so much is beyond me.

It isn't just Dear You. they play a lot of stuff from 24HRT, too, and it's also considered groundbreaking, influential, etc. (I think they've both held up rather well). But yeah, I agree. I'd love hear more earlier stuff, too. I'm going tonight. I just hope they play "Sluttering" and anything from the first few records.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I could do with them playing just 'UNFUN' and 'ETC''.

I am THAT old and bitter.

and now to go fight with jerks on the WFMU 'Rockers for Life' FB group page who don't know shit about house music and electronica.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:42 am

Night #3 - they do 'Bivouac', but they drop 'Want'. One extra song from 24 Hour brings the set to an epic 15 songs.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am

scannest wrote:Night #3 - they do 'Bivouac', but they drop 'Want'. One extra song from 24 Hour brings the set to an epic 15 songs.

Would you rather have them play until 2 AM? With that said (and I said before), I'd prefer a mix of stuff from all 4 albums. But I think it was the best setlist of all 3 nights; we got Sluttering and Bivouac.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:33 am

JGJR wrote:Would you rather have them play until 2 AM?

Hmmm...when you put it that way, I guess there really is no middle ground between playing 1 hour and playing 3 hours.
Or, to put it another way...
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 am

JGJR wrote:It isn't just Dear You. they play a lot of stuff from 24HRT, too, and it's also considered groundbreaking, influential, etc. (I think they've both held up rather well). But yeah, I agree. I'd love hear more earlier stuff, too. I'm going tonight. I just hope they play "Sluttering" and anything from the first few records.

Oh yeah....they played plenty of 24 Hour, and I do understand it also has a historical place in underground rock and they drew plenty of the setlist from it as well. I happen to love 24 Hour Revenge in a way that I just don't connect with Dear You. I feel 24 Hour is a much better record than Dear You and in light of the time it was made, i.e., post-Blake's throat surgery, it has a depth that just couldn't be faked. Unlike Dear You, 24 Hour was very much hailed at the time. I remember a whole lot of backlash against Dear You when it came out for a variety of reasons, and I was definitely a part of that backlash. I feel it's only posthumously did that record become this highly influential record far beyond the bounds of any of their other records. And it's only in recent times that I've come to appreciate it as well.

For me, though, Unfun and Bivouac, for different reasons, are far more groundbreaking records than either 24 Hour or Dear You and, look, a band can play what it wants. I saw Jawbreaker near the end after Dear You came out and I knew they weren't going back to the early part of the catalog too much. Heck, I saw them just after Chesterfield King came out and even back then they only played two songs from Unfun.
captain2man

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:12 pm

On a related note, I am 99% sure that is JGJR and his hoodie that gets a big solo photo in the Brooklyn Vegan photo gallery from Night #3:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/jawbreaker ... llery-1=29
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Good set-list for Night #3, but I wouldn't have traded Want for Bivouac.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:59 pm

captain2man wrote:Good set-list for Night #3, but I wouldn't have traded Want for Bivouac.

This, but I'd keep "Bivouac" and trade "Sea Foam Green" and "Housesitter" for "Want" and "Chesterfield King." WTF are they thinking not playing those? You explained it on my FB post. I get it, but still.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:05 pm

scannest wrote:On a related note, I am 99% sure that is JGJR and his hoodie that gets a big solo photo in the Brooklyn Vegan photo gallery from Night #3:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/jawbreaker ... llery-1=29

That is indeed me, myself and I. Thanks for alerting me to that. I don't click on the picture roll on BV all that often, though I read it daily. I ended up taking it off later because it was warm (I had been told they crank up the AC but they sure didn't that night or it was just so full it didn't matter). I wanted a t-shirt, but I didn't think they had it in my size (found out later they did, but didn't mark it on the display; oh well; this'll last longer and not shrink in the wash), so I bought a hoodie and the 24HRT book (which I'm currently reading; it's great).
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:35 am

Really hoping for a Philly show. Getting up to NYC on a school night was not in the cards (also the 28th was my anniversary haha)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:54 pm

gregpolard wrote:Really hoping for a Philly show. Getting up to NYC on a school night was not in the cards (also the 28th was my anniversary haha)

Just got the 411 from Adam that they are coming back East in the summer so you may get your wish.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:20 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Really hoping for a Philly show. Getting up to NYC on a school night was not in the cards (also the 28th was my anniversary haha)

Just got the 411 from Adam that they are coming back East in the summer so you may get your wish.

Awesome thank you!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 am

gregpolard wrote:Awesome thank you!

Ah, the inevitable Festival Pier show...
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 am

scannest wrote:

Man, I hope not. I was thinking they'd do Union Transfer or something like that. Granted, I have 0 idea what the capacity size of the venues they did in NYC so I could be way off base - I don't pay too much attention to that stuff.
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:41 pm

JGJR wrote:I'd prefer a mix of stuff from the first 3 albums.
the mean

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:Granted, I have 0 idea what the capacity size of the venues they did in NYC so I could be way off base - I don't pay too much attention to that stuff.

Brooklyn Steel's legal capacity is posted as 1,800, but I I bet they got close to 3,000 in there every night.
I imagine a Philly show would either be the Electric Factory or Festival Pier with 2 or 3 popular opening acts.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:14 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Granted, I have 0 idea what the capacity size of the venues they did in NYC so I could be way off base - I don't pay too much attention to that stuff.

Brooklyn Steel's legal capacity is posted as 1,800, but I I bet they got close to 3,000 in there every night.
I imagine a Philly show would either be the Electric Factory or Festival Pier with 2 or 3 popular opening acts.

Welp.....yeah, Festival Pier def seems likely. haha
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:54 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Man, I hope not. .

I'll fix you up with the details to avoid all the riff raff hub bub
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:21 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Man, I hope not. .

I'll fix you up with the details to avoid all the riff raff hub bub

Thank you. I love you.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Man, I hope not. I was thinking they'd do Union Transfer or something like that. Granted, I have 0 idea what the capacity size of the venues they did in NYC so I could be way off base - I don't pay too much attention to that stuff.

Since they played multiple nights at Brooklyn Steel here, I would think they'd do multiple nights at UT in Philly. I hope so for your sake!
JGJR

Return to daghouse