U2 - Songs of Innocence

Re: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:53 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
WrEtcH wrote: BUT if yer gonna do a song tribute to Joey Ramone, why not rip off the RAMONES again like you did on "Vertigo" (which I like) instead of trying to out whine COLDPLAY?

So much this.

Why? It's a good song. Just because it's a song about The Ramones doesn't mean it needs to sound like them. What the fuck Ramones song does "Vertigo" sounds like?

I thought the same. Buncha "Literal Larry's" we got around these parts! :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Been listening to Songs of Innocence non stop for the past few days. Soooo many terrific songs.

Fave right now is 'Raised by wolves'
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:27 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Been listening to Songs of Innocence non stop for the past few days. Soooo many terrific songs.

Fave right now is 'Raised by wolves'

That one is great. Totally sounds like it could've been on one of the first couple albums, too.

I love "California (There Is No End To Love)" and "Iris (Hold Me Close)". "Every Breaking Wave" is awesome too. Solid album.

Also, on this album they use almost as many parenthesis as JGJR does in his posts :)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
WrEtcH wrote: BUT if yer gonna do a song tribute to Joey Ramone, why not rip off the RAMONES again like you did on "Vertigo" (which I like) instead of trying to out whine COLDPLAY?

So much this.

Why? It's a good song. Just because it's a song about The Ramones doesn't mean it needs to sound like them. What the fuck Ramones song does "Vertigo" sounds like?

Good question re: your 2nd sentence above. I certainly didn't agree with that part of the original post, just that their Joey Ramone tribute sounds nothing like 'em.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

again, if yer gonna pay respect to Joey Ramone, at least put some BALLS behind it.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm

WrEtcH wrote:again, if yer gonna pay respect to Joey Ramone, at least put some BALLS behind it.

Yep.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:50 pm

WrEtcH wrote:again, if yer gonna pay respect to Joey Ramone, at least put some BALLS behind it.

There's that crunchy guitar riff in the song :)
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:17 pm

JGJR wrote:

Yep.

Nope. Hey guys, first of all, Joey was the SINGER, not the guitar player. The song is about their experience hearing The Ramones, not an homage to the Ramones. The song is acutally about THEM, not Joey Ramone. And seriously, you want U2 to sound like The Ramones? I imagine that would sound pretty shitty.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Here you go, guys:

Now, have we learned a little lesson about being careful what we wish for?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 pm

JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 pm

JGJR wrote:http://kroq.cbslocal.com/bono-calls-u2s-surprise-itunes-album-release-punk-rock-annoy-people-and-get-in-their-faces/

Well, that's just...um...err...yeah, so...
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:02 pm

JGJR wrote:http://kroq.cbslocal.com/bono-calls-u2s-surprise-itunes-album-release-punk-rock-annoy-people-and-get-in-their-faces/

See my last comment in the 1984 thread. I love U2 (or at least some eras/aspects of them), but they have never been punk rock and, as much as I enjoy this record, the delivery method is 100% the opposite of punk rock.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:22 pm

well, here's my thing. U2 can write stuff that has balls (in their own manner) like "Wire," "Bullet The Blue Sky," "The Fly," "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me." even "Elevation." I also get that U2 can make some great emotional pop tunes like "Stay," "Baby Face" or modernized stuff off "All You That You Can't Leave Behind," but that track sounds like a whinny COLDPLAY song. After that, I enjoy the rest of the new album.

btw, "Vertigo" has a RAMONES influence. the main riff is Johnny Ramone's sliding E chord crossed with the Edge's usual ringing chords coupled with the strong vocals of Bono. Sure, after "Joshua Tree" and "Rattle And Hum," U2 went for more of an arena rock sound, but I do like the bigger sound the Edge puts out as well as once in a while he visits his trademark sound like on "City Of Blinding Lights."

I love U2 old and new and like on the other thread, I love "Pop" where as many people didn't think much of it.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:30 pm

WrEtcH wrote:well, here's my thing. U2 can write stuff that has balls (in their own manner) like "Wire," "Bullet The Blue Sky," "The Fly," "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me." even "Elevation." I also get that U2 can make some great emotional pop tunes like "Stay," "Baby Face" or modernized stuff off "All You That You Can't Leave Behind," but that track sounds like a whinny COLDPLAY song. After that, I enjoy the rest of the new album.

btw, "Vertigo" has a RAMONES influence. the main riff is Johnny Ramone's sliding E chord crossed with the Edge's usual ringing chords coupled with the strong vocals of Bono. Sure, after "Joshua Tree" and "Rattle And Hum," U2 went for more of an arena rock sound, but I do like the bigger sound the Edge puts out as well as once in a while he visits his trademark sound like on "City Of Blinding Lights."

I love U2 old and new and like on the other thread, I love "Pop" where as many people didn't think much of it.

I see what you’re saying. To me the Joey Ramone song DOES have some balls, but hey. I’m just glad to see another person enjoying the disc.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:36 pm

it's just a difference in opinions, if you and VS like the tune who cares what BS comes out of my mouth? :lol:

SRSLY though, I'm kinda glad to see any good U2 convo. I still love the band and the usual conversation on forums is just like NIRVANA where they are big rock stars and they are overplayed on the radio.

I'm sure a tour is gonna follow and I will shell out big bucks because I haven't seen them since the "Zoo Station" tour. I miss seeing them live.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 pm

WrEtcH wrote:it's just a difference in opinions, if you and VS like the tune who cares what BS comes out of my mouth? :lol:

SRSLY though, I'm kinda glad to see any good U2 convo. I still love the band and the usual conversation on forums is just like NIRVANA where they are big rock stars and they are overplayed on the radio.

I'm sure a tour is gonna follow and I will shell out big bucks because I haven't seen them since the "Zoo Station" tour. I miss seeing them live.

I always respect your opinion, anyhow. And I’m with you on U2! I have a friend who I’ve been texting all week about them and I told him today “hey, sorry if I’m bothering you but no one else will talk to me about them” haha.

I need to see them live. I tried to get tickets a couple times and it just fell through. These new songs will be good live IMO
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:08 pm

and now the regular copy that will be in the stores next week

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Is that Larry Mullen Sr.'s son?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:26 pm

version sound wrote:Is that Larry Mullen Sr.'s son?

I hope so.
Actually, it would be more interesting of it wasn't

(it is)
scannest

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:27 pm

version sound wrote:

See my last comment in the 1984 thread. I love U2 (or at least some eras/aspects of them), but they have never been punk rock and, as much as I enjoy this record, the delivery method is 100% the opposite of punk rock.

Too right. If it was in any way punk rock they would have called it Songs Of Insolence.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Larry Mullen III
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:17 pm

gregpolard wrote:Larry Mullen III

Is that Larry Mullen Sr.'s son with Larry Mullen Sr.'s grandson?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Larry Mullen III

Is that Larry Mullen Sr.'s son with Larry Mullen Sr.'s grandson?

Yes indeed!
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:45 pm

quite overrated band, amen ;)
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby crus » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Michele wrote:quite overrated band, amen ;)

I was listening to their October album when I read that. For a second album, it's very good and the bass sound is much clearer than recent U2. Clearly Adam Clayton was practicing a lot when the other three members were attending prayer meetings.
crus

Postby gregpolard » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:19 pm

crus wrote:
Michele wrote:quite overrated band, amen ;)

I was listening to their October album when I read that. For a second album, it's very good and the bass sound is much clearer than recent U2. Clearly Adam Clayton was practicing a lot when the other three members were attending prayer meetings.

I underrated October until recently. It’s a good record. It’s my least favorite of the first five, but it’s still not bad. Apparently all of the original lyrics were lost a few days before recording or something? I could look it up but nah.
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 am

well, obviously they wrote some solid albums in the beginning, but I don't think they deserve all this fame and leading position nowadays... last real good album was ? come on, let's admit they due more to Bono preaching than to the music at least since a pair of decades....
Michele

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:49 am

Michele wrote:well, obviously they wrote some solid albums in the beginning, but I don't think they deserve all this fame and leading position nowadays... last real good album was ? come on, let's admit they due more to Bono preaching than to the music at least since a pair of decades....

Last good album came out 9/9/14 :)
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:50 am

ok, I quit the damned board.... :D
Michele

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 am

gregpolard wrote:
Michele wrote:well, obviously they wrote some solid albums in the beginning, but I don't think they deserve all this fame and leading position nowadays... last real good album was ? come on, let's admit they due more to Bono preaching than to the music at least since a pair of decades....

I keep seeing that commercial for the new album that features "Song for Joey Ramone." It's cool in some ways because Patti Smith, Topper Headon, Joey and maybe others are all pictured and clearly U2 are fans of all of the above but then the commercial itself with Bono prancing around is just annoying and the song just isn't good. And as you know, I like the early stuff, but I just don't get the appeal of the new stuff. At all.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I keep seeing that commercial for the new album that features "Song for Joey Ramone." It's cool in some ways because Patti Smith, Topper Headon, Joey and maybe others are all pictured and clearly U2 are fans of all of the above but then the commercial itself with Bono prancing around is just annoying and the song just isn't good. And as you know, I like the early stuff, but I just don't get the appeal of the new stuff. At all.

The appeal is that it sounds good to my ears.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:03 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

It's that current "big rock" sound that just sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. If you played me the backing tracks for that or the most recent Killers album or something similar if it wasn't for the vocals, I think that I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:05 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

It's that current "big rock" sound that just sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. If you played me the backing tracks for that or the most recent Killers album or something similar if it wasn't for the vocals, I think that I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I love the Killers. Good band.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:07 am

Real talk though, they're U2. They're not a garage band. They're gonna sound huge, that's the point. As we've established for now going on 5 pages on here, people are either on board or not.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:08 am

gregpolard wrote:Real talk though, they're U2. They're not a garage band. They're gonna sound huge, that's the point. As we've established for now going on 5 pages on here, people are either on board or not.

Can I change the topic to say that I'm listening to episode 2 of the podcast now? I don't agree with the notion that you either like them or you don't. There are plenty of folks who loved them back in the day but aren't on board now.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:13 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Real talk though, they're U2. They're not a garage band. They're gonna sound huge, that's the point. As we've established for now going on 5 pages on here, people are either on board or not.

Can I change the topic to say that I'm listening to episode 2 of the podcast now? I don't agree with the notion that you either like them or you don't. There are plenty of folks who loved them back in the day but aren't on board now.

You can't say you're going to change the subject and then get in the last word there, bub!

What I mean by "on board" is, you're either going to like the record or you're not. I think it's a great album, with great songs. I'm glad it exists, plus it made me go and revisit a lot of the backcatalog and appreciate those albums even more. I am not nearly as offended by "big production" as most punks I guess. Obviously I wouldn't want to listen to a Minor Threat album that sounded like this, but if it's U2 it makes sense to me.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You can't say you're going to change the subject and then get in the last word there, bub!

What I mean by "on board" is, you're either going to like the record or you're not. I think it's a great album, with great songs. I'm glad it exists, plus it made me go and revisit a lot of the backcatalog and appreciate those albums even more. I am not nearly as offended by "big production" as most punks I guess. Obviously I wouldn't want to listen to a Minor Threat album that sounded like this, but if it's U2 it makes sense to me.

I guess I'm a punk to the core then as I just don't dig that kind of production/sound (for anyone; not just U2). Real talk, though: I think it is great that it's made you rediscover the back catalog (and that you told me about this great podcast or was it VS?) and that's ultimately more important than whether I enjoy their new stuff.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:07 am

VS told us all about it, I believe!
Him and another friend did on the same day.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:10 am

Limited vinyl out today so that they are eligible for the Grammys.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 am

version sound wrote:Limited vinyl out today so that they are eligible for the Grammys.

Those clever lads from Liverpool have done it again.
gregpolard

Postby drew » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:30 pm

My girlfriend made me listen to a couple of the new U2 tunes cause its on her itunes so she figured "why not?" I almost broke up with her. What crap. I don't know how you guys could like this complete dreck. Really some of the worst music I've ever heard.
drew

Postby XBambi's RevengeX » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm

BOOORING. Can't believe anybody listens to this trash.
XBambi's RevengeX

Postby matt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:37 pm

XBambi's RevengeX wrote:BOOORING. Can't believe anybody listens to this trash.

Welcome home.
matt
Site Admin

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:09 am

oh dear
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:01 am

YO!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:30 am

I can't believe this thread has reared its ugly, ugly head again.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 am

I think you mean....FLIP?
gregpolard

Previous

Return to daghouse