Scream “No More Censorship” reissue

Scream “No More Censorship” reissue

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:18 am

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/9855

On Southern Lord.
On Black Friday for RSD

File under: when one of your favorite hardcore bands reissues your least favorite album by them you still gotta buy it
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Scream “No More Censorship” reissue

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 am

This was the first album the now world famous musician ever played on.

Incorrect!

P.S.: I have that Scream album... it's not that great.
jaybird

Postby drew » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:56 am

Why is Siuthern Lord wasting vinyl on this crap record? There is not one good tune on this slab-o-shit that I remember
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 am

drew wrote:Why is Siuthern Lord wasting vinyl on this crap record? There is not one good tune on this slab-o-shit that I remember

The only hope is that the remix would make it sound better and less like bad hair metal.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Neal » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:14 pm

drew wrote:Why is Siuthern Lord wasting vinyl on this crap record? There is not one good tune on this slab-o-shit that I remember

but what if it has the cover of "green eyed lady"?
Neal

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Franz said on his FB that there will be extras.

This album has always been weird to me. When I first got into Scream it was right when "Fumble" came out and obviously I came into it because of Dave Grohl. Dischord had the Fumble/Banging The Drum and Still Screaming/This Side Up cds recently pressed so, since they never put out NMC, that flew under the radar for me until much later.

It's so odd to me that they did Fumble after that which sounds way more like what should've come after Banging The drum.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm

drew wrote:Why is Siuthern Lord wasting vinyl on this crap record?

One word: Grohl

I didn't bother with it when it came out. I heard it playing in a record store and it was just too butt rock for me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm

version sound wrote:
drew wrote:Why is Siuthern Lord wasting vinyl on this crap record?

One word: Grohl

I didn't bother with it when it came out. I heard it playing in a record store and it was just too butt rock for me.

Trust me it hasn’t changed. Willing to give the remix a fair shake though.
gregpolard

Postby kevin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Sorry, I liked this record but I've liked scream ever since This Side Up came out. I then went back to get Still Screaming. Yes, they evolved over the years. I've enjoyed all of their records and that was way before Dave became a household name. For me, for the longest time, Dave was just the new drummer for scream. I don't like the way this record is being pushed so hard with Grohls name all over it. But I'm looking forward to the remix
kevin

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 pm

This is a GREAT album. yes...GREAT.
I call bullshit on people who think this is a bad album. OK so it wasn't on Dischord. So what. Big deal. Who cares. It's not their best album, but it is VERY VERY good. Political/social messages don't always have to be buried under pages of art and cryptic lyrics. I got this album when it was released and played the living shit out of it. Still love it. I like it better than Fumble, I'll say that.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:31 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:This is a GREAT album. yes...GREAT.
I call bullshit on people who think this is a bad album. OK so it wasn't on Dischord. Sp what. Big deal. Who cares. It's not their best album, but it is VERY VERY good. Political/social messages don't always have to be buried under pages of art and cryptic lyrics. I got this album when it was released and played the living shit out of it. Still love it. I like it better than Fumble, I'll say that.

When I get the remix I’m going to listen to this with fresh ears cause I trust you.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:
I call bullshit on people who think this is a bad album. OK so it wasn't on Dischord. Sp what. Big deal. Who cares. It's not their best album, but it is VERY VERY good. Political/social messages don't always have to be buried under pages of art and cryptic lyrics. I got this album when it was released and played the living shit out of it. Still love it. I like it better than Fumble, I'll say that.

When I get the remix I’m going to listen to this with fresh ears cause I trust you.

better be vegan, greg
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 pm

PS: Building Dreams is a BEAUTIFUL song, but could do with a little remixing. I LOVE it. Guts me every single time.

I LOVE THIS BAND DEARLY. So very glad that I finally got a chance to see them. And they were every damn bit as good as I dreamed they'd be.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:59 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

better be vegan, greg

I agree!

Also, I was at the record store the other day and I can safely say Scream is a top 5 Dischord band for me. One of the best. Need to see 'em.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:14 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:So very glad that I finally got a chance to see them. And they were every damn bit as good as I dreamed they'd be.

Unlike many of you, I didn't hear them from a young age aside from a few songs here and there despite being a Dischord nut, but I do like them quite a bit (especially the first few albums). I will say that the 2012 show I saw at Kung Fu Necktie was terrific, though. It made me realize what a great drummer Kent Stax is. I wasn't quite as taken with them in DC later that year (seeing Dag Nasty the night before was of course the highlight, though Black Market Baby, GI and Scream were all good, too; I never liked Kingface; sorry) at one of the Salad Days benefits, but they were still enjoyable.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:05 pm

JGJR wrote:I never liked Kingface

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Porter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:31 pm

I picked up the LP over the weekend. Scream is one of my favorite bands, and while I favor their albums basically in chronological order ("Still Screaming" and "This Side Up" are more-or-less equal, and "Banging the Drum" has some AMAZING songs) I do/did enjoy the original "No More Censorship." As for this NMC17 reissue: the packaging is amazing. It's great to hear the full version of "God Squad" (only the intro was tacked onto the end of the original release) and another unreleased song "GLC" from this session--though they are probably the weakest tracks on the LP (which I'm guessing is why they were originally left off). The record is definitely worth checking out if you previously wrote off the album; "Hit Me," "No Escape," "Take It From the Top," and "Something In My Head" are all jams!

This release is definitely more punk/raw sounding. The original release was actually recorded quite well (save the 80s Rockman guitars), so I was very surprised how thin/tin-ny, the LP sounds. Granted I don't have the best stereo and I'm not an audiophile, but the record itself just sounds thin to me: lacking bass, distorting hissy vocals, weak guitars. I don't know if the 20+ mins a side of mostly heavy rock was too much for one LP or if it was just a bad vinyl mastering job--but I was expecting a bit more from Scream's well recorded heavy-rock record remixed at a big professional (Foo Fighters) studio. The overall mix is less 80s rock/metal and much more in line with "This Side Up" the long acoustic intro to "No More Censorship" is gone as are the male/female repetitive backing vocals--it's now just mostly straight ahead rock, which is great--but I'm curious to see if this is a vinyl mastering issue when there is a full CD/LP (I imagine digital) release in April 2018. Southern Lord doesn't do download codes, so we can wait and see. Definitely interested in anyone else's' thoughts once they get this reissue. It might just be that my turntable is shot, but this is the first time I've really noticed something like this.

Definitely give this album (in either of its forms) a shot if you passed it up the first go around. Scream is great, and while this LP isn't their finest moment there are certainly some great great moments scattered throughout.
Porter

Postby Gary » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm

I like this record,but its definitely the weakest they did.
Gary

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Gary wrote:I like this record,but its definitely the weakest they did.

Weaker than 'Fumble'?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:05 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Weaker than 'Fumble'?

Easily
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Weaker than 'Fumble'?

Easily

That Greg needs to be taken down a peg.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm

This record sounds better on the European pressing. Just sayin'
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Midge bullied me into ordering a copy of this record. They are cheap and plentiful on eBay.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 pm

version sound wrote:Midge bullied me into ordering a copy of this record. They are cheap and plentiful on eBay.

You won't be sorry. It's truly wonderful. Hell, If I was in the band, I would have been happy without a remix, but I'm sure Dave Grohl had the studio and the time. He plays so damn well on that album.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Nico » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:23 am

Out of curiosity, what color vinyl did you get? I assumed they are all white. But on Discogs a clear orange copy showed up a few days ago. I finally got my copy from the USA today and it turned out to be solid yellow colored.
Nico

Postby Porter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 am

I got green with some black streaks. I believe they are random colors. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the remix.
Porter

Postby Nico » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Porter wrote:I got green with some black streaks. I believe they are random colors. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the remix.

Thanks!

Thus far, liking it a lot. Sounds a lot more powerful and slightly thicker sound wise. That unreleased track isn't that great, just average. Love the additional book and nice thick sleeve.
Would love a digital copy for in the car.
Nico

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:46 am

Mine is like an opaque blood orange.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:53 am

First listen. Even this "more punk" version is pretty heavy on guitar wankery, but I'm digging it.
Last edited by version sound on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 am

Is that picture ridiculously oversized on computer screens or just on my phone?

UDPDATE: Resized
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:08 pm

Coming on THIS thread since it was linked in the other just to say that this remix rocks.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 pm

gregpolard wrote:Coming on THIS thread since it was linked in the other just to say that this remix rocks.

What does it for you?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:11 pm

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Coming on THIS thread since it was linked in the other just to say that this remix rocks.

What does it for you?

It sounds more full to me and they took out a lot of the extra stuff so it's more straightforward sounding. Give it a shot if you haven't. That said, as I know I mentioned earlier, this made me appreciate the original too.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:26 pm

i have that version on vinyl but have not given it a chance yet
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Why have I been all about this record lately? It's like it finally clicked.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 pm

gregpolard wrote:Why have I been all about this record lately? It's like it finally clicked.

SOLD!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Why have I been all about this record lately? It's like it finally clicked.

SOLD!

Totally!
gregpolard

Return to daghouse