Jawbreaker First Demo Remixed/Remastered By J Robbins

Re: Jawbreaker First Demo Remixed/Remastered By J Robbins

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:51 am

Chris Shary wrote:https://jawbreakerband.bandcamp.com/album/demo-remixed-remastered

I didn't know about this. Thanks.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:30 pm

This is an excellent remix.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Approved x 10.

And the remix of 'Split' solidified the track as its tie with Kiss the Bottle for my fave tune.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:09 pm

This sounds great!

Since I'm quite possibly the biggest Jawbreaker nerd on this board, here is some additional info about this release, not all of which is found on that page:

---------------------

03 Feb. 1989
Demo #1 Recorded at The Studio - Santa Monica, CA. Produced by Jawbreaker.
Engineered by Vinny Fazzari and Joel Badie.

Equalized [Busy 7", Etc. 2xLP/CD]
Down [unreleased]
Rich [unreleased]
Split [original mix: unreleased] [remix: Jawbreaker/Samiam split 7" (No Idea fanzine #10), Etc. 2x/LP]
World of Shit [unreleased]
Caroline [original mix: unreleased] [remix: Brouhaha 7" compilation, Etc. 2xLP]
Better Half [original mix: unreleased] [remix: Jawbreaker/Crimpshrine split 7", Etc. 2xLP/CD]
If I Could [unreleased]
Good 45 [unreleased]

Notes:
Demo #1 was distributed on homemade cassette tapes with photocopied inserts, but it was never officially pressed and released; hence, recordings from this session which appeared only on Demo #1 are still labeled "unreleased." The official song list for Demo #1 was Equalized, Down, Rich, Split, World of Shit, Caroline, and Better Half. As such, If I Could and Good 45 may be considered Demo #1 "outtakes."
Equalized and World of Shit are excised from later "incarnations" (as Adam puts it) of the demo distributed by the band.
Caroline, Split, and Better Half were remixed on 8 Feb. 1991 by Vinny Fazzari and Adam Pfahler, and mastered by John Golden at K-Disc.
In Caroline, the backing vocals are toned down.
In Split, the vocals in the instrumental break contain more reverb, as do the words "I don't know" and "I don't care" in the verses; most notably, harmonies sung by Chris in verse are mostly removed.
In Better Half, Chris's "come and gone"s sound much lower in volume and the song doesn't fade out.
While Rich and the original mix of Caroline are officially unreleased, they appear on a bootleg 7" entitled Old Glory.
FlexMyHead

Postby Nico » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 am

I kind of wish, they will release on a physical format. This is too good, to just be a download.
Nico

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 am

Nico wrote:I kind of wish, they will release on a physical format. This is too good, to just be a download.

This and while they're at it, a repress of "Whack and Blite" on 7" would be nice, too. I'll take what I can get, though, and glad this is available to listen to.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:31 am

Fun fact: I was called in as a consultant on opinions on how 'Split' should be remixed since I was a fanatic with the song as far back as the demo.

No joke.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse