Morrissey "Low In High School"

Morrissey "Low In High School"

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 am

Really good. Almost reminds me of if Your Arsenal, Ringleader of the Tormentor and Kill Uncle were thrown in a blender.

The singles were a bit misleading to me but work well in the context of the record.

Unfortunately, this is probably overshadowed right now by the asinine statements he's been making - but what else is new?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Morrissey "Low In High School"

Postby matt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 am

I'm seeing him live tonight.
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:18 am

matt wrote:I'm seeing him live tonight.

Enjoy!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 pm

I listened to the first single and thought "Who on earth is this made for?" I had the same response when I heard the single off the new Beck record. They both sounded like middle-age dudes trying hard to appeal to some mass audience that is never gonna care about them anyway, so why are they bothering? Like their chasing after some brass ring that will never be within reach.

I say this as someone who hasn't paid all that much attention to when Moz has done in a long while, but still - I just didn't get.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 am

scannest wrote:I listened to the first single and thought "Who on earth is this made for?" I had the same response when I heard the single off the new Beck record. They both sounded like middle-age dudes trying hard to appeal to some mass audience that is never gonna care about them anyway, so why are they bothering? Like their chasing after some brass ring that will never be within reach.

I say this as someone who hasn't paid all that much attention to when Moz has done in a long while, but still - I just didn't get.

Funny you mention this - I was actually thinking like....for me, as big fan of almost 2 decades - is he just making records at this point for people like me? Because I can't see some young kid hearing this stuff and becoming a fan. At all. I can hear it with the Smiths, but not with anything he's done recently solo.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 am

matt wrote:I'm seeing him live tonight.

How was it?
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm

I streamed the entire album on Slacker and I dug it ( which wasn’t really hard to do)
I only listened once and I ordered the vinyl
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm

My friend Glenn is a real music aficionado who has something nice to say about almost everything:
http://www.apessimistisneverdisappointed.com/2017/11/i-bury-living-few-words-about-low-in.html?m=1
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:My friend Glenn is a real music aficionado who has something nice to say about almost everything:
http://www.apessimistisneverdisappointed.com/2017/11/i-bury-living-few-words-about-low-in.html?m=1

haha! My wife was (is?) a big fan and she basically echoed the sentiments of this review.
gregpolard

Postby MikeD » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:11 pm

His BIG MOUTH aside, I really enjoy this LP

I was NOT a fan of World Peace.. at all so it was nice to be able to enjoy his music once again
MikeD

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:33 pm

MikeD wrote:His BIG MOUTH aside, I really enjoy this LP

I was NOT a fan of World Peace.. at all so it was nice to be able to enjoy his music once again

Dude

I love him and he's making it harder and harder. The stuff he's said lately is INEXCUSABLE.

My dad, who is almost 65 and has never mentioned Morrissey once to me (or vice versa), was at my house this weekend and pointed to the giant poster we have of him on the wall and said "What's up with what HE said?" and said he saw the article while online. I tried to kinda brush it off only because for the first time I felt truly embarrassed to be a fan lol

I was like "well, he says a lot of off the wall stuff often"

Dad goes "that's beyond off the wall". Can't disagree with him there.

It hurts me because I am such a huge fan and there's been times where his music legit saved me from the depths of despair - hackneyed as it may be. The new record is solid and will SO be overlooked because he can't keep his fucking mouth shut.
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Yeah, I don't know what is going on with him. I went and read more of what he said (thought maybe they took something out of context) but that didn't really clear it up any. I know he is on the spectrum but still the comments on Brexit, Kevin Spacey, civil rights leader on the shirt with "i wear black on the outside" quote...it just all seems odd. Have not listened to the new record yet.
FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:04 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Yeah, I don't know what is going on with him. I went and read more of what he said (thought maybe they took something out of context) but that didn't really clear it up any. I know he is on the spectrum but still the comments on Brexit, Kevin Spacey, civil rights leader on the shirt with "i wear black on the outside" quote...it just all seems odd. Have not listened to the new record yet.

What do you mean you "know" he's on the spectrum? Has it actually been confirmed? I've heard some people make those comments offhand for years but didn't think it was anything more than that.
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:15 pm

gregpolard wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:
What do you mean you "know" he's on the spectrum? Has it actually been confirmed? I've heard some people make those comments offhand for years but didn't think it was anything more than that.

You are 100% right for drawing attention to that, I don't actually know that. I will say that for part of my job (yes, I've somehow convinced people to pay me a living wage!) I am part of a team that collectively determines if children meet the criteria to be served under the ASD (Autism Spectrum Diagnosis) in the school setting. This is NOT a medical diagnosis and if found eligible, it just means that we feel the child displays (over a period of time in various settings) core features of ASD (Restrictive repetitive patterns of behavior, deficits in social communication and social interaction etc). However, we use ASD normed referenced rating scales, social & developmental history, interviews, observations, interactions etc. We don't base it on "Meh, he sounds like Rain Man" or "His lyrics are bit wonky". Again, this is not something out of the DSM 5 and actually they "got rid" of Asperger's, which is what I think most people think of when they think of a creative oddball that is quirky and odd. Sidebar: How strange is that...one day you could go and get a diagnosis and "be Aspergers" then wake up the next day and "just kidding, you are ASD, Asperger's don't exist anymore!".

So, anyway, yeah I shouldn't have said "I know" anything. Having said that, I've read countless interviews & watched numerous videos clips of him (there is one documentary in particular on youtube that I think is in 6 parts that has some pretty telling (imho) quotes and statements from him about life and how he sees himself and how he views and perceives interactions and so forth). So, in my semi-professional opinion based on a handful of clips that have been taken out of context and framed by an editor to tell a story that they want to tell, I'd say that, over an extended period of time, in numerous settings and various situations, he displays behaviors and attributes that some people who were diagnosed with what used to be called Asperger's also have displayed. So, basically, that counts for nothing.

Fuck, I think if you look at any person you can find something in the DSM they'd meet. As I tell parents, we are all have different levels of fucked-up ness, it's just that when that level starts to impact some aspect of our lives to a negative or harmful degree do we really need to see if it's something we need to address or remedy.

Anyway, I do think that there is sometimes a disconnect in what he says/how he says something that and how he perceives it. Most of the time I've agreed with what he says, heeven makes me laugh how ruthless he can be (stuff about meat is murder etc), it's just lately he has been in a different lane, but replace "meat is murder" with "kevin gave them want they wanted until they changed their minds" and it's kinda the same thing.

I think several punk rock famous people display ASD-ish traits in that they have a steadfast rigid approach that guides that to be who they are and because it's so unusual and unexpected for a person to stick to their guns, they really stand out. Even talking or explaining or breaking down a situation, they can do it almost a clinical way that makes sense but is often challenging to emulate as to be that convinced and determine is just hard to do.

God damn am I long winded.....
FlexMyHead

Postby drew » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 am

I'm going Saturday. I've seen The Mozz 5 times over the years, these theater shows have been the best ones. At the smaller venues he usually plays more SMITHS tunes so I'm hopeful It should be fun until he puts dead animals on the big screen during Meat Is Murder, that will suck any fun out of the room like always I'll go to the bar at that point.........
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:07 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:

You are 100% right for drawing attention to that, I don't actually know that. I will say that for part of my job (yes, I've somehow convinced people to pay me a living wage!) I am part of a team that collectively determines if children meet the criteria to be served under the ASD (Autism Spectrum Diagnosis) in the school setting. This is NOT a medical diagnosis and if found eligible, it just means that we feel the child displays (over a period of time in various settings) core features of ASD (Restrictive repetitive patterns of behavior, deficits in social communication and social interaction etc). However, we use ASD normed referenced rating scales, social & developmental history, interviews, observations, interactions etc. We don't base it on "Meh, he sounds like Rain Man" or "His lyrics are bit wonky". Again, this is not something out of the DSM 5 and actually they "got rid" of Asperger's, which is what I think most people think of when they think of a creative oddball that is quirky and odd. Sidebar: How strange is that...one day you could go and get a diagnosis and "be Aspergers" then wake up the next day and "just kidding, you are ASD, Asperger's don't exist anymore!".

So, anyway, yeah I shouldn't have said "I know" anything. Having said that, I've read countless interviews & watched numerous videos clips of him (there is one documentary in particular on youtube that I think is in 6 parts that has some pretty telling (imho) quotes and statements from him about life and how he sees himself and how he views and perceives interactions and so forth). So, in my semi-professional opinion based on a handful of clips that have been taken out of context and framed by an editor to tell a story that they want to tell, I'd say that, over an extended period of time, in numerous settings and various situations, he displays behaviors and attributes that some people who were diagnosed with what used to be called Asperger's also have displayed. So, basically, that counts for nothing.

Fuck, I think if you look at any person you can find something in the DSM they'd meet. As I tell parents, we are all have different levels of fucked-up ness, it's just that when that level starts to impact some aspect of our lives to a negative or harmful degree do we really need to see if it's something we need to address or remedy.

Anyway, I do think that there is sometimes a disconnect in what he says/how he says something that and how he perceives it. Most of the time I've agreed with what he says, heeven makes me laugh how ruthless he can be (stuff about meat is murder etc), it's just lately he has been in a different lane, but replace "meat is murder" with "kevin gave them want they wanted until they changed their minds" and it's kinda the same thing.

I think several punk rock famous people display ASD-ish traits in that they have a steadfast rigid approach that guides that to be who they are and because it's so unusual and unexpected for a person to stick to their guns, they really stand out. Even talking or explaining or breaking down a situation, they can do it almost a clinical way that makes sense but is often challenging to emulate as to be that convinced and determine is just hard to do.

God damn am I long winded.....

Fair assessment. Honestly, I would not be surprised if I found he was on the spectrum. It sure would explain a lot.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:08 am

drew wrote:I'm going Saturday. I've seen The Mozz 5 times over the years, these theater shows have been the best ones. At the smaller venues he usually plays more SMITHS tunes so I'm hopeful It should be fun until he puts dead animals on the big screen during Meat Is Murder, that will suck any fun out of the room like always I'll go to the bar at that point.........

Dude - I'm with ya. I'm vegan and I still hate seeing it. Like, on one hand I get what he's trying to do, but there comes a point where it's like "ok, we've done this on the past (insert # here) tours, I think they get it. Why not just hand out the pamphlets and call it a day?"
gregpolard

Return to daghouse