The Replacements "Trouble Boys"

The Replacements "Trouble Boys"

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:59 am

I looked to see if there was a separate thread already for this book and I didn't see one, so I figured I'd start. If there is one, sorry!

Anyway, I bought this book when it came out as an iBook to read on my phone and kinda neglected it until now cause, let's face it, reading on an iPhone sucks.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and really enjoying it. I know several of you on here read it and was curious what your thoughts are. I figure since we know the story it's not like there's any spoilers.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: The Replacements "Trouble Boys"

Postby scannest » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:12 am

I think it was one of the great rock bios. I don't think anyone outside of their immediate circle had an understanding of the scope of Bob's awful childhood until the book came out. I felt deeply for him reading the book. And Tommy living with the knowledge of what his father did to his half-brother...
It also paints a portrait of Westerberg as a deeply confused, complex character. Mehr does a good job of getting at the reasons for all that self-destructive behavior. So yeah, ultimately it's a very sad story but totally compelling.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:38 am

scannest wrote:I think it was one of the great rock bios. I don't think anyone outside of their immediate circle had an understanding of the scope of Bob's awful childhood until the book came out. I felt deeply for him reading the book. And Tommy living with the knowledge of what his father did to his half-brother...
It also paints a portrait of Westerberg as a deeply confused, complex character. Mehr does a good job of getting at the reasons for all that self-destructive behavior. So yeah, ultimately it's a very sad story but totally compelling.

Yeah, I had no idea about Bob's backstory until reading this (like you said - most didn't). Heartbreaking to read.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby creature » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm

creature

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Nice read! I actually got into them way later than I should have. I was into Husker since middle school but didn't get into the Replacements until I was an adult and they quickly became one of my favorites.

I know scannest can help me here - Paul solo....I'm not too well versed. I've had "14 Songs" and "Eventually" for years...I added a bunch via Apple Music but what are your favorites?

I also need to listen to the new Bash & Pop, I think.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 pm

There's not a single PW release that I dislike. That said, my favorite solo releases are COME FEEL ME TREMBLE, MONO (as Grandpaboy) and the PW and THE GHOST GLOVES CAT WING JOY BOYS e.p.

As far as Tommy, I love both the Bash & Pop records. He had a band called Perfect that put out a great record (posthumously) called ONE, TWICE, THREE TIMES a MAYBE. All of his solo records have a couple good-to-great songs, but nothing that I'd say is essential.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:27 pm

All you REALLY need is the Stereo/Mono combination. None of Paul's other solo stuff (and I've heard most of it) is anywhere close to that level of quality IMO. Those albums are as good as his Replacements work, though. I have no clue about that EP, though. Sounds interesting.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Thank you both
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

gregpolard wrote:Thank you both

You got it. I'd be curious for your thoughts on Stereo and Mono. I had the 2 CD set and played the shit out of those in 2002. The only time I saw Paul was during that time, too. I still go back to them fairly often.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 am

Finished the book last night. Scannest, you weren't kidding when you said it's a sad but compelling read.

I always knew about their tendency as a band (especially Paul) to shoot themselves in the foot so many times, but the detail at which we learned just how much it occurred and how much it messed with them (again - especially Paul) was depressing.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:00 am

scannest wrote:I think it was one of the great rock bios. I don't think anyone outside of their immediate circle had an understanding of the scope of Bob's awful childhood until the book came out. I felt deeply for him reading the book. And Tommy living with the knowledge of what his father did to his half-brother...

I agree with this assessment completely.
JGJR

Return to daghouse