Dischord 6 EP box set

Dischord 6 EP box set

Postby kevin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Dischord 6 EPs box set soon to be released. Good news.
kevin

Re: Dischord 6 EP box set

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 am

As in the first 6 EPs (on vinyl hopefully)?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 am

Yo,
Kevin doesn't have time to motherfuckin' elaborate. He drops nuggets of wisdom and then vanishes, like Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I'm guessing it will be these 6 records that still sell like fuckin' hotcakes on ebay:

ImageImage

I can only wish I had a nickel for each time Dischord mailorder had to field a request for a repress of Fidelity Jones earth shattering 7" on 180 gram vinyl. This record changed the landscape of recorded music. Period.
FlexMyHead

Postby kevin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 am

Sorry, lots going on. Yes, as in the first 6 7". Legless Bull rides again
kevin

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:28 pm

kevin wrote:Sorry, lots going on. Yes, as in the first 6 7". Legless Bull rides again

Fuck yeah! I hope they make them true to the originals (no heavy or glossy cardboard and no UPC). I'll buy either way.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Flex-nice slip in of Pansy Division :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 am

version sound wrote:
Fuck yeah! I hope they make them true to the originals (no heavy or glossy cardboard and no UPC). I'll buy either way.

Honestly, they need heavy/glossy sleeves. I also hope they have some variations so people don't try to pass them off as the real ones. I plan to continue to buy the first Discord 7" until I am released from this mortal coil, only to have them all being melted at my funeral and have the footage posted online. I'll be doing the world a favor as the remaining ones I haven't gotten my grubby fingers on will now be more worth!
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
version sound wrote:

Honestly, they need heavy/glossy sleeves. I also hope they have some variations so people don't try to pass them off as the real ones. I plan to continue to buy the first Discord 7" until I am released from this mortal coil, only to have them all being melted at my funeral and have the footage posted online. I'll be doing the world a favor as the remaining ones I haven't gotten my grubby fingers on will now be more worth!

I owned some version of all of them. Teen Idles was a second press, first Minor Threat was a 4th press, and In My Eyes was a third press. If the reissues feel "modern," that will be a big turn off. They won't be using the same stampers, so the reissues will always be distinguishable from originals by matrix number. T&G did an amazing job with the Fix records. If they are half as good as those, I'll be happy.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 pm

version sound wrote:
I owned some version of all of them. Teen Idles was a second press, first Minor Threat was a 4th press, and In My Eyes was a third press. If the reissues feel "modern," that will be a big turn off. They won't be using the same stampers, so the reissues will always be distinguishable from originals by matrix number. T&G did an amazing job with the Fix records. If they are half as good as those, I'll be happy.

Well, I am a record collector nerd, but unlike most, I actually listen to the records and don't keep them in a climate-controlled sleep chamber and rub them with a brush after each listen, so I put the records in and out of the sleeves etc and those sleeves are like wafer-thing. I'm scared to touch the paper as I tore the shit out of one Minor Threat sleeve putting it in a photo with my fuckin' Hummels (normal wear and tear). I have no issue with them upgrading the sleeves. I haven't seen the Fix record, but I think there is going to be more interest in the Discord ones and if it's a box-set of some sort, then they are going to be some design issues. I'm just gonna buy it regardless so what the fuck does my opinion even matter??!
FlexMyHead

Postby danny » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 am

i suggested to ian a while ago that he should do the 4 old demo's album (the four re-released demo singles) on colored vinyl or something. would be nice.
danny

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:15 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Well, I am a record collector nerd, but unlike most, I actually listen to the records and don't keep them in a climate-controlled sleep chamber and rub them with a brush after each listen, so I put the records in and out of the sleeves etc and those sleeves are like wafer-thing. I'm scared to touch the paper as I tore the shit out of one Minor Threat sleeve putting it in a photo with my fuckin' Hummels (normal wear and tear). I have no issue with them upgrading the sleeves. I haven't seen the Fix record, but I think there is going to be more interest in the Discord ones and if it's a box-set of some sort, then they are going to be some design issues. I'm just gonna buy it regardless so what the fuck does my opinion even matter??!

Why in the world do you have to take the sleeve out to play the record? That's what the opening at the top is for.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MikeD » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Is this a true thing?
MikeD

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm

MikeD wrote:Is this a true thing?

Probably? Kevin usually has good intel. I messaged Dischord and asked them to confirm/deny and got no response. They are usually pretty quick to respond, so I'm guessing it's real, but they aren't ready to officially announce it yet.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Nico » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 am

version sound wrote:
MikeD wrote:Is this a true thing?

Probably? Kevin usually has good intel. I messaged Dischord and asked them to confirm/deny and got no response. They are usually pretty quick to respond, so I'm guessing it's real, but they aren't ready to officially announce it yet.

I never ever get a response, only when I bug Ian directly.
Nico

Postby BAIN » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 am

Honest question...

What was the last Dischord release you guys went bonkers over that was from a newer band, excluding Red Hare and the recent Dag Nasty?
BAIN

Postby drew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 am

BAIN wrote:Honest question...

What was the last Dischord release you guys went bonkers over that was from a newer band, excluding Red Hare and the recent Dag Nasty?

I still like Dischord. Yes, Red Hare & DN but also the most recent THE EFFECTS is really good Other "newer" stuff like Office of Future Plans, Black Eyes, El Guapo......they still put out quality releases if you dig the "DC" sound
drew

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 am

Well, besides the Red Hare LP, 7" and Dag Nasty 7" and the slew of re-released stuff (and/or stuff like Youth Brigade/SOA 7") the things that I was even remotely interested in would have to be:

Office of Future Plans (2011)
Evens LP (2006)
Lungfish "Love is Love" (2003)
Bluetip (2001)

So yeah, they are pretty much a "back catalog label".

But to be honest, I don't think Dischord has any interest in seeking out or having an updated roster. I mean besides ads in mags like MRR and simple promo posters and stuff, they never really were into pushing bands anyway? I think I've read that bands that expressed an interest in the label in the past 10 years were turned down. Not sure if Dot Dash or newer bands even asked or if it's just an unspoken "don't call me, I'll call you" kinda thing. Like Frontier or SST (besides the whole "not paying the band"), they seem to be focused on keeping their back catalog in print and available. Nothing wrong with that?
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Well, besides the Red Hare LP, 7" and Dag Nasty 7" and the slew of re-released stuff (and/or stuff like Youth Brigade/SOA 7") the things that I was even remotely interested in would have to be:

Office of Future Plans (2011)
Evens LP (2006)
Lungfish "Love is Love" (2003)
Bluetip (2001)

No love for "Feral Hymns"?
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:19 am

the mean wrote:No love for "Feral Hymns"?

Well, Lungfish really only have one song, they just play it slightly differently. So yeah, I like that LP also!
FlexMyHead

Postby kevin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Recent is fairly relative since dischord only puts out a new record like maybe once a year now and some of those were old recordings released. With that said, the Deathfix record was absolutley amazing...to me
kevin

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 am

I really like THE EFFECTS record, but "bonkers'" is probably too strong a word.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby kevin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:19 pm

I listened to The Effects LP the other day. I liked it a lot. Very impressed.
kevin

Postby Hal » Tue May 11, 2021 1:24 pm

BOOM!
Hal

Postby version sound » Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 pm

Holy shit, I thought Kevin was pulling our legs. Ordered. I hope to god that the sleeves are faithful to the originals and not printed on heavy stock like recent releases.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 1:48 pm

I wasn't pulling your legs. But I had inside scoop on this.
Last edited by kevin on Tue May 11, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin

Postby version sound » Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 pm

kevin wrote:I wasn't. But I had inside scoop on this.

Please tell Ian to make the sleeves as close to the originals as possible. I’m going to be kind of bummed it if they have heavy, glossy card stock sleeves.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 2:01 pm

version sound wrote:

Please tell Ian to make the sleeves as close to the originals as possible. I’m going to be kind of bummed it if they have heavy, glossy card stock sleeves.

You'll get what you get and be happy with it! :)
kevin

Postby version sound » Tue May 11, 2021 2:09 pm

kevin wrote:
version sound wrote:

At that price, I feel like I’m almost getting more than I paid for, but I still won’t be happy with heavy-ass sleeves. I can make better versions myself, if I have to. SOA, GI, and YB will be easy, since they were basically photocopies. First press In My Eyes (Cousins sleeve) was too, IIRC.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm

version sound wrote:
kevin wrote:
version sound wrote:

At that price, I feel like I’m almost getting more than I paid for, but I still won’t be happy with heavy-ass sleeves. I can make better versions myself, if I have to. SOA, GI, and YB will be easy, since they were basically photocopies. First press In My Eyes (Cousins sleeve) was too, IIRC.

It's not like you're going to be able to pass them off as originals, I'm fine if the sleeve texture itself is nicer than the OG's.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:
kevin wrote:
version sound wrote:

It's not like you're going to be able to pass them off as originals, I'm fine if the sleeve texture itself is nicer than the OG's.

I'm guessing it's also because you (VS) want copies that are as close as possible to the originals since you had them as a kid?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 11, 2021 2:19 pm

version sound wrote:Holy shit, I thought Kevin was pulling our legs. Ordered. I hope to god that the sleeves are faithful to the originals and not printed on heavy stock like recent releases.

You already have the music. You're spending too much money on records.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 11, 2021 2:40 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:
kevin wrote:
version sound wrote:

I'm guessing it's also because you (VS) want copies that are as close as possible to the originals since you had them as a kid?

I get that, and that's why I like that they're using the original art and inserts. But as far as like, the card stock? That's not gonna bother me.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Besides the labels on the record and lyric sheets having updated copywriter years. expect it to also have www.dischord.com on the back of the sleeve. Need to prevent people trying to pass these off as originals. I hope this lowers the resale price for the originals.
kevin

Postby version sound » Tue May 11, 2021 3:45 pm

kevin wrote:Besides the labels on the record and lyric sheets having updated copywriter years. expect it to also have http://www.dischord.com on the back of the sleeve. Need to prevent people trying to pass these off as originals. I hope this lowers the resale price for the originals.

I have no problem with that stuff. As for lowering the price of OGs, I doubt it. The music has been available pretty consistently since 1984. People want them for the nerd collector value, which even exact reproductions won’t affect. T&G did pretty much perfect repros of the Fix records, and the OGs still sell for a bazillion dollars.

JGJR nailed it, I owned originals of all these - though not all first pressings; Teen Idles was a 2nd press, the first Minor Threat was a 4th, and In My Eyes was a 3rd - so, I am definitely after as close a repro as possible, other than updated copyright and web address (if they must). They could leave that stuff off and you still couldn’t pass them off as OGs because the matrix info will be different.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue May 11, 2021 3:51 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'm fine if the sleeve texture itself is nicer than the OG's.

IDK about “nicer.” The Teen Idles (1st press) and MT sleeves were nice. Teen Idles was glossy, and the MT sleeves were on nice stock. Minor Disturbance and In My Eyes were even pocket sleeves, not just fold-overs.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 11, 2021 4:05 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I'm fine if the sleeve texture itself is nicer than the OG's.

IDK about “nicer.” The Teen Idles (1st press) and MT sleeves were nice. Teen Idles was glossy, and the MT sleeves were on nice stock. Minor Disturbance and In My Eyes were even pocket sleeves, not just fold-overs.

I'm just happy to own these as 7"s as I never thought I would.
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Tue May 11, 2021 4:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'm just happy to own these as 7"s as I never thought I would.

Me too Greg....me too.
captain2man

Postby the mean » Tue May 11, 2021 4:13 pm

Copyright dates on the mockups say 2020, so that would be an easy way to distinguish these.
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm

the mean wrote:Copyright dates on the mockups say 2020, so that would be an easy way to distinguish these.

They're already a year old!? Cancel my order!

Also....lets be real...given the nature of this project - I don't think the boxes will be done by the end of 2021 because of pressing delays etc. I have no qualms with this, but i'll be shocked to have this in hand this calendar year.
gregpolard

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 4:43 pm

gregpolard wrote:
the mean wrote:Copyright dates on the mockups say 2020, so that would be an easy way to distinguish these.

Also....lets be real...given the nature of this project - I don't think the boxes will be done by the end of 2021 because of pressing delays etc. I have no qualms with this, but i'll be shocked to have this in hand this calendar year.

Could be. I’m sure these conversations have been taking place for awhile with Furnace Pressing Plant - which is close to Dischord and run by Eric of Wind of Change lineage, on expected amounts to be pressed and logistics. End of 2021 could be a good estimate.
kevin

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 4:44 pm

True!!! Lol
kevin

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm

kevin wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Could be. I’m sure these conversations have been taking place for awhile with Furnace Pressing Plant - which is close to Dischord and run by Eric of Wind of Change lineage, on expected amounts to be pressed and logistics. End of 2021 could be a good estimate.

And as I said too...either way I'm happy. I'm thrilled at the prospect of owning these records as nature intended!
gregpolard

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 4:57 pm

gregpolard wrote:
kevin wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

And as I said too...either way I'm happy. I'm thrilled at the prospect of owning these records as nature intended!

I agree I had the chance in 86-89 time frame. They would often show up used in record stores in and around DC. Anyway between 15-25 dollars. I refused to pay that for a 2.50 record. Silly me.
kevin

Postby jaybird » Tue May 11, 2021 5:00 pm

version sound wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:Well, I am a record collector nerd, but unlike most, I actually listen to the records and don't keep them in a climate-controlled sleep chamber and rub them with a brush after each listen, so I put the records in and out of the sleeves etc and those sleeves are like wafer-thing. I'm scared to touch the paper as I tore the shit out of one Minor Threat sleeve putting it in a photo with my fuckin' Hummels (normal wear and tear). I have no issue with them upgrading the sleeves. I haven't seen the Fix record, but I think there is going to be more interest in the Discord ones and if it's a box-set of some sort, then they are going to be some design issues. I'm just gonna buy it regardless so what the fuck does my opinion even matter??!

Why in the world do you have to take the sleeve out to play the record? That's what the opening at the top is for.

TR00 record collector dork protocol requires that you insert the sleeve into the jacket so that the respective openings of each are perpendicular to each other.... basically, the sleeve pocket opening is aligned with the top edge of the jacket... Therefore you must remove the sleeve from the jacket before you can remove the record from the sleeve.

Also, do not really gaf about anything else in this release besides the MT 7's, which I already own on the 12", so foghorn, stat.
jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 11, 2021 5:27 pm

Aren't all these records already on Spotify?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Aren't all these records already on Spotify?

Says the guy who probably owns a Marillon can opener.
gregpolard

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 5:41 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Aren't all these records already on Spotify?

Says the guy who probably owns a Marillon can opener.

Don’t get him started on his Marillon lounge pants. (P.S. they are three sizes too small...it looks like what happens when you try to put the cereal bag back In the box)
kevin

Postby version sound » Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 pm

kevin wrote:I had the chance in 86-89 time frame. They would often show up used in record stores in and around DC. Anyway between 15-25 dollars. I refused to pay that for a 2.50 record. Silly me.

I caught up to owning every Dischord release by some time in ‘85. I wasn’t picky about which pressing I got, I just wanted a copy of each (which is why I passed on that In My Eyes test at $5). I traded for most of them, so it’s hard to assign a dollar value to what I paid. I pretty much paid original sale prices for everything I traded, though, so 7”s would have been $2.50-$3.00 and 12”s would have been roughly $5.00-$8.00ish. I paid $10 for Youth Brigade (and $5.00 for an SOA test), at Y&T circa 1985. My one big splurge was the Legless Bull, which I (over)paid Stabb $30 for. I did trade away some shit that’s worth $$$ these days (Who Killed Marilyn on purple and Unholy Passion on white), but I don’t remember if those went for Dischords.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 6:24 pm

version sound wrote:
kevin wrote:I had the chance in 86-89 time frame. They would often show up used in record stores in and around DC. Anyway between 15-25 dollars. I refused to pay that for a 2.50 record. Silly me.

I caught up to owning every Dischord release by some time in ‘85. I wasn’t picky about which pressing I got, I just wanted a copy of each (which is why I passed on that In My Eyes test at $5). I traded for most of them, so it’s hard to assign a dollar value to what I paid. I pretty much paid original sale prices for everything I traded, though, so 7”s would have been $2.50-$3.00 and 12”s would have been roughly $5.00-$8.00ish. I paid $10 for Youth Brigade (and $5.00 for an SOA test), at Y&T circa 1985. My one big splurge was the Legless Bull, which I (over)paid Stabb $30 for. I did trade away some shit that’s worth $$$ these days (Who Killed Marilyn on purple and Unholy Passion on white), but I don’t remember if those went for Dischords.

Didn’t you trade DB a Legless Bull for a Sound Garden 12”?
kevin

Postby version sound » Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm

That was S.O.A. on green for Soundgarden Room A Thousand Years Wide on grape vinyl. At the time SOA on green was maybe a $30 record. It wasn’t a bad trade back then. Over time, he clearly made the better investment. He still has it too, so I don’t feel bad about it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Next

Return to daghouse