JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm

scannest wrote:John Lisa would play that WHACK AND BLITE 7" for anyone who would listen and the response was often "This is the great...but that voice?! What the fuck is up with that voice?!" That continued with UNFUN - a general sense of how amazing this band would be if they had an actual singer. Of course, that wasn't everyone. But it seemed like a dividing line for those of use who gravitated towards the more melodic side of things and those who liked their punk/hardcore with more dirt under the nails.

That all makes sense except that I never really thought of Blake as a non-melodic singer. That's probably because I was listening to a ton of punk/hardcore of the "more dirt under the nails" variety back then as that was the music of my teen years and I loved the shit out of both Whack and Blite and Unfun (though I first heard them on the CD with both), but even then I loved a good hook/melody. Yes, his voice was really raspy pre-surgery, but I think part of their greatness early on is that exact divide they had between their punk/hardcore roots (you can see Blake wearing a Soulside shirt in early photos and I think Unfun is kinda DC-ish) and their pop ambitions and for lack of a better way or saying it, the new wave in them, too (shown by the Joan Jett, Pretenders and Psychedelic Furs covers later on). They weren't on one side or the other and it's one of the things that made them great IMO. I always appreciate individualistic bands who don't really fit in, but in Jawbreaker's case I am glad they're getting their due now both financially and otherwise.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm

You may be on to something, though. Perhaps his voice (even in its polished, post-surgery and post-Rob Cavallo produced state) is one reason why Dear You stiffed on release and they never broke through back then. I love the fact that they're more popular than anyone else at Riot Fest nowadays, though. It's proof that sometimes great art endures and is appreciated more later, etc.
JGJR

Postby BAIN » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 am

For the months leading up to Riot Fest I was thinking about two specific things outside of the excitement of seeing them again. How are they going to sound and how many people are there that actually like Jawbreaker? Both questions were answered with the past 3 shows. They sound amazing and a lot of people like them. More than I could ever imagine, especially with 50,000 people singing along.

I do catch the Richard Butler / PF resemblance, but I also feel there is a Wedding Present feel to it also.

Maybe I am wrong.

We know that the Replacements played a huge influence on them through interviews.

Either way, I dig them and I can't wait for the tour announcement. Going to do a 3 day run like it was 1994 again.
BAIN

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:05 am

Seems some people here forgot: Jawbreaker is not a punk band.

viewtopic.php?p=14063#p14063
jaybird

Postby BAIN » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:08 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:...I wouldn't call Blake's vocals unique for that reason. He's always sounded like Richard Butler to me.

Let me say this as politely as I can - get the fuck outta here. Blake's voice was polarizing when those first records came out. The difference between those who loved them and those who didn't frequently came down to your tolerance for his voice. It was their defining feature circa WHACK AND BLITE and UNFUN.

Let me say this as politely as I can. Please listen to this and let me know if you still don't think he sounds like Richard Butler.

Your point is interesting, however, as I've been a fan since Bivouac and I don't recall any of that sort of ambivalence about his voice like with say, Craig Wedren of Shudder to Think (a singer I also love but whose voice was very polarizing back then; don't believe me? Read one of Jim Testa's reviews of a Shudder show at Maxwell's from back then). They were VERY well loved in both the punk and eventually (from 24RT on) indie scenes, though of course there were some I knew who didn't care for them. It usually wasn't because of Blake's voice, though.

Plus, they covered "Into You Like a Train" during the Dear You sessions and stuck it on a bonus track on the CD reissue and Blake claimed that he'd been getting those comparisons from day one.

Relistening to this and I am hearing more what Mike Ness was trying to sound like for the self titled SD album.
BAIN

Postby drew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 am

BAIN wrote:
JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:...I wouldn't call Blake's vocals unique for that reason. He's always sounded like Richard Butler to me.

Let me say this as politely as I can - get the fuck outta here. Blake's voice was polarizing when those first records came out. The difference between those who loved them and those who didn't frequently came down to your tolerance for his voice. It was their defining feature circa WHACK AND BLITE and UNFUN.

Let me say this as politely as I can. Please listen to this and let me know if you still don't think he sounds like Richard Butler.

Your point is interesting, however, as I've been a fan since Bivouac and I don't recall any of that sort of ambivalence about his voice like with say, Craig Wedren of Shudder to Think (a singer I also love but whose voice was very polarizing back then; don't believe me? Read one of Jim Testa's reviews of a Shudder show at Maxwell's from back then). They were VERY well loved in both the punk and eventually (from 24RT on) indie scenes, though of course there were some I knew who didn't care for them. It usually wasn't because of Blake's voice, though.

Plus, they covered "Into You Like a Train" during the Dear You sessions and stuck it on a bonus track on the CD reissue and Blake claimed that he'd been getting those comparisons from day one.

Relistening to this and I am hearing more what Mike Ness was trying to sound like for the self titled SD album.

It’s interesting you say that, I recall before “24 Hour Revenge Therapy” came out there was word that it sounded like “Bad Social Distortion” from more than one person I spoke to. Of course I didn’t think that once I heard it.
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am

drew wrote:It’s interesting you say that, I recall before “24 Hour Revenge Therapy” came out there was word that it sounded like “Bad Social Distortion” from more than one person I spoke to. Of course I didn’t think that once I heard it.

I love that s/t Social Distortion album, so all that purist nonsense wouldn't have mattered to me anyhow, even back then. But it's besides the point as Albini's production ensured that 24 Hour Revenge Therapy would never sound like anything that the guy (Dave Jerden, if memory serves) who produced that SD album, Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual and Alice in Chains' Dirt would ever record. I still prefer the production on their 1st 2 album and these days Dear You sounds better to me sonically, too, but the songs on 24HRT are so great that it doesn't really matter. I did always think that Albini's production was weird, though.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am

Well, anyway, I think we can all agree that Jawbreaker's vocals don't qualify as unique because there is one other vocalist in the world in a band from a different genre that may, by one or so person's estimation, sound sort of similar. :roll: :roll: :roll:
SamDBL

Postby the mean » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm

jaybird wrote:Seems some people here forgot: Jawbreaker is not a punk band.

http://daghouse.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=14063#p14063

Boy, that was as dumb discussion.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm

SamDBL wrote:Well, anyway, I think we can all agree that Jawbreaker's vocals don't qualify as unique because there is one other vocalist in the world in a band from a different genre that may, by one or so person's estimation, sound sort of similar. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you really want to get technical, every singer's voice is unique as we're all unique, et al.

Ultimately, though, I have to say that this is much ado about nothing. The fact that their music endures 25 years later is the real point here.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm

the mean wrote:
jaybird wrote:Seems some people here forgot: Jawbreaker is not a punk band.

viewtopic.php?p=14063#p14063

Boy, that was as dumb discussion.

This.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:55 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Well, anyway, I think we can all agree that Jawbreaker's vocals don't qualify as unique because there is one other vocalist in the world in a band from a different genre that may, by one or so person's estimation, sound sort of similar. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you really want to get technical, every singer's voice is unique as we're all unique, et al.

SamDBL

Postby unitedblood » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Glad to hear they sounded good and went over well. Haven't had time to watch the clips but I take that to mean they weren't just going through the motions?

I only saw them once in the 90's and it was on the Dear You tour, but I did happen to catch the SF warmup show in August. I can say that that they're not just going through the motions. They're doing the damned thing.

Also, I had some friends that were at the LA movie and Q&A last night. They said, right out the gate, the first question was "are you a band again", which was answered as a yes.
unitedblood

Postby BAIN » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am

2018 tour is the rumor
BAIN

Postby unitedblood » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Dinko wrote:Okay. Cool. What about Engine 88?

Later this month, apparently.
https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1567813
unitedblood

Postby the mean » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:27 pm

SAN FRANCISCO:
Saturday, January 13 • Bottom of the Hill, San Francisco
(with Smokers. All ages matinee!)
http://www.bottomofthehill.com/stubmati ... 0113.htmlA

Sunday, January 14 Great American Music Hall, San Francisco
(with Composite, Neutrals)

BROOKLYN:
Monday, February 26 • Brooklyn Steel, Brooklyn
(with Charly Bliss, Emily Flake)
http://axs.com/events/348176/jawbreaker ... s%E2%80%A6

Tuesday, February 27 Brooklyn Steel, Brooklyn
(with Surprise Special Guests, Clare O'Kane)
http://axs.com/events/348177/jawbreaker ... s%E2%80%A6

Wednesday, February 28 Brooklyn Steel, Brooklyn
(with Surprise Special Guests, Kate Willett)
http://axs.com/events/348178/jawbreaker ... s%E2%80%A6

LOS ANGELES:
Thursday, March 8 Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood
(with Waxahatchee, Upset)
https://www.ticketmaster.com/Jawbreaker ... ist/762215

Friday, March 9 Hollywood Palladium Hollywood, (with Waxahatchee, Post Life)
both dates available at:
https://www.ticketmaster.com/Jawbreaker ... ist/762215
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 am

Sorta related but I’m gonna say it

I don’t get the hype around Waxahatchee and all the related bands those sisters are in at all. Somewhere right now JGJR is in tears.

It’s not bad but just not something I’d go out of my way to listen to. That first Swearin album was aight
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 am

gregpolard wrote:Sorta related but I’m gonna say it

I don’t get the hype around Waxahatchee and all the related bands those sisters are in at all. Somewhere right now JGJR is in tears.

It’s not bad but just not something I’d go out of my way to listen to. That first Swearin album was aight

Not in tears, but I enjoy their music. They're just good singers who write good songs. That's it, really. TBH, I didn't really get most of the hype surrounding Katie's records (i.e. Waxahatchee) until the most recent one, Out of the Storm. It is BY FAR the best thing she's ever done and was in my top 20 for last year. Don't get me wrong. I liked but definitely didn't love the first 3 Waxahatchee albums as well as P.S. Eliot (which I heard years after the fact when the 2 CD set was released).

I've said this before, but that debut Swearin' Lp is something of a modern classic. Like you, I was very disappointed in their 2nd album, but am excited that they're back. I'm guessing that what they'll produce will sound more like Allison's more recent solo stuff, which I definitely enjoy and which unfortunately gets about 1/100th of the attention that her sister's stuff has gotten (again, no idea why, but whatever).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 am

Much more importantly, I'm hoping I can snag a ticket for any of the Brooklyn Steel shows. I can't go on the 27th, but if that's all I can get, I'd trade for another night. I honestly haven't been this excited about a show in ages that I'm thinking about the onsale date, making sure all my info is on the site to expedite the checkout process, et al. It reminds me of either driving to weird Ticketmaster locations in the late '90s or being right next to a computer with high speed internet access in the early '00s (not a guarantee back then) to try to get Radiohead tickets. There's a 2 ticket limit per show, so I'm hoping that may make it a bit easier. I'm really nervous.

I do wish Waxahatchee was the opener here, but am wondering who the "special guests" on nights 2 and 3 are going to be.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:46 am

JGJR wrote:Much more importantly, I'm hoping I can snag a ticket for any of the Brooklyn Steel shows.

While I'm sure they will sell out all 3 shows, I don't think tickets will be gone in seconds. Unless people are desperate to go to all the shows which seems kinda silly. I don't picture them changing the set much more than a song or two a night.
Of course, I know nothing. But trivial speculation is what messageboards are all about!!
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Much more importantly, I'm hoping I can snag a ticket for any of the Brooklyn Steel shows.

While I'm sure they will sell out all 3 shows, I don't think tickets will be gone in seconds. Unless people are desperate to go to all the shows which seems kinda silly. I don't picture them changing the set much more than a song or two a night.
Of course, I know nothing. But trivial speculation is what messageboards are all about!!

Same re: them not changing their setlist on a nightly basis. They don't really have a big enough catalog to do that. I only want to see one of these shows. Anyhow, I hope you're right!
JGJR

Postby BAIN » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 am

good luck on getting tickets.

we are just trying for the 28th as it is my wifes birthday.

shouldn't be an issue getting tickets especially w the (2 ticket) limit to throw off bots.

that said, I didn't think I was going to hear 40,000 people singing their lyrics at riot fest.
BAIN

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 pm

BAIN wrote:good luck on getting tickets.

we are just trying for the 28th as it is my wifes birthday.

shouldn't be an issue getting tickets especially w the (2 ticket) limit to throw off bots.

that said, I didn't think I was going to hear 40,000 people singing their lyrics at riot fest.

I got tickets for the 28th and I hope that you were able to as well.
JGJR

Postby drew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Got two for night #1 and we were lucky. The bots had them minutes before the sale. Shit security We saw tix on stubhub $85-200.
drew

Postby Chris Shary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Chris Shary

Postby Chris Shary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Chris Shary

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Man it’s so difficult to see them in the Bay Area. I get the intimate small club setting, but it’s a bitch to try and buy a ticket when it sells out in 10 minutes. I might to resort to flying down to LA, which can be fun, but I really want to see them here in their 2nd home ( LA being the first) without commuting and maybe some on stage banter of playing Northern California and the past.

If I never saw em, I’d be really upset, but I saw em in their prime and I’m being patient that my opportunity will come, but patience is wearing thin.

Well, if I can be patient during the OG Misfits reunion, I can TRY and do likewise here too
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 am

Wretch, as it turns out BOTH this weekend's shows had a few tickets at the door. I went to both shows a bit unsure of how I was going to get in, but confident I would....and I did. I would say to show up early and just give it a shot. Bottom of the Hill and GAMH are both fairly cool at the door, so you know....
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 am

WrEtcH wrote:Man it’s so difficult to see them in the Bay Area. I get the intimate small club setting, but it’s a bitch to try and buy a ticket when it sells out in 10 minutes. I might to resort to flying down to LA, which can be fun, but I really want to see them here in their 2nd home ( LA being the first) without commuting and maybe some on stage banter of playing Northern California and the past.

If I never saw em, I’d be really upset, but I saw em in their prime and I’m being patient that my opportunity will come, but patience is wearing thin.

Well, if I can be patient during the OG Misfits reunion, I can TRY and do likewise here too

I saw 'em in their prime, too, but waited until '95. That's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to this. They're gonna get such a different crowd response this time.
JGJR

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:21 pm

"Housesitter" GAMH (I filmed this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvv8FhlwMGI&t=4s
"Sea Foam Green" GAMH (I filmed this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1I8bfP-gL8&t=15s
"Ache" GAMH (I filmed this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhCu245ttFI&t=3s
Chris Shary

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks for posting videos...great to hear-see them again. They still sound a little rusty or off though, maybe more Blake and his guitar parts. Still sloppy Jaw 2018 is better than no Jaw. Would be nice to hear a new song if they do plan out every so often. That would make it less reunion or tribute.
FlexMyHead

Previous

Return to daghouse