Terms of Psychic Warfare
11%
It's Not Funny Anymore
44%
No votes

Total votes : 9

Best Grant Hart song?

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Let's get down to brass tacks: What song shall forever after be officially known on the dag board as Grant Hart's best/signature song?

vs

vs

vs

BINDING POLL.
jaybird

Re: Best Grant Hart song?

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:50 pm

All great, but the best one is...
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:45 pm

This isn't included in the poll? For real?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:23 pm

I think "Turn on the News" has to get a mention here.

On the solo front - "The Main" gets me everytime.

captain2man

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:25 pm

"She Floated Away" or "Every Everthing" or "Back from Somewhere." Poll fuckin' sucks.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 pm

New entry!

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:39 pm

SMDH
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:00 pm

As uncool as it is to say at the moment, I thought his songs usually paled in comparison to mould's. I think that 'she floated away' one always stuck in my head. Kinda haunting and Celtic sounding.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:02 pm

SamDBL wrote:As uncool as it is to say at the moment, I thought his songs usually paled in comparison to mould's. I think that 'she floated away' one always stuck in my head. Kinda haunting and Celtic sounding.

Well, it didn't make jaybird's poll, so....
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 pm

SamDBL wrote:As uncool as it is to say at the moment, I thought his songs usually paled in comparison to mould's. I think that 'she floated away' one always stuck in my head. Kinda haunting and Celtic sounding.

Ultimately I have to agree... not many people can compete with Bob as a songwriter... at his best though, Grant gave him a solid run for the money.

The kid had h(e)art. :(
jaybird

Postby dude munhoz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Green Eyes
dude munhoz

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 pm

I also never realized until reading all the obits over the last few days that he designed most of their album covers. New Day Rising is up there with London Calling or Black Sabbath Vol 4 as an iconic album cover, IMO. Talented guy.

I'm actually surprised at how much his passing has affected me... I mean, I'm not bawling my eyes out or anything, but look at that Nova Mob vid I posted, it's from 1994. Look how young and healthy he looks. That wasn't that long ago, was it?

Fuck.
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

FormerLurker wrote:

Well, it didn't make jaybird's poll, so....

Well fuck this god damn thing.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm

jaybird wrote:

Ultimately I have to agree... not many people can compete with Bob as a songwriter... at his best though, Grant gave him a solid run for the money.

I have also been unexpectedly affected at this whole deal. My first reaction was to come to this board and post 'Im sick of seeing posts about husker du'. But I held back. Now that everyone is posting about him, nonstop, I'm remembering that I actually did like this band quite a lot. It's weird to me that they never cashed in on a Misfits/jawbreaker million dollar riot fest/Coachella thing. They must've really hated each other.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 pm

jaybird wrote:I also never realized until reading all the obits over the last few days that he designed most of their album covers. New Day Rising is up there with London Calling or Black Sabbath Vol 4 as an iconic album cover, IMO. Talented guy.

I'm actually surprised at how much his passing has affected me... I mean, I'm not bawling my eyes out or anything, but look at that Nova Mob vid I posted, it's from 1994. Look how young and healthy he looks. That wasn't that long ago, was it?

Fuck.

1994 was 23 years ago. 23. That's nearly a quarter century. 23 years.
FormerLurker

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 pm

I've always preferred Bob songs to Grant songs, but having those two weirdos in the same band just made it remarkable. Husker w/o Bob would've sucked, but so would have Husker w/o Grant. DEFINITIVE.

Corollary: Greg Norton didn't really matter, wacky mustache aside.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:48 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:I also never realized until reading all the obits over the last few days that he designed most of their album covers. New Day Rising is up there with London Calling or Black Sabbath Vol 4 as an iconic album cover, IMO. Talented guy.

Fuck.

1994 was 23 years ago. 23. That's nearly a quarter century. 23 years.

Not everyone is a math professor.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:49 pm

FormerLurker wrote:I've always preferred Bob songs to Grant songs, but having those two weirdos in the same band just made it remarkable. Husker w/o Bob would've sucked, but so would have Husker w/o Grant. DEFINITIVE.

Corollary: Greg Norton didn't really matter, wacky mustache aside.

Agreed. Why couldn't it have been Greg Norton?
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:52 pm

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I have also been unexpectedly affected at this whole deal. My first reaction was to come to this board and post 'Im sick of seeing posts about husker du'. But I held back. Now that everyone is posting about him, nonstop, I'm remembering that I actually did like this band quite a lot. It's weird to me that they never cashed in on a Misfits/jawbreaker million dollar riot fest/Coachella thing. They must've really hated each other.

Yeah, I always kinda had the tiny sliver of hope that one day they'd put their differences aside, and we'd get to see them together again.

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 pm

I never really thought of this. Now I'm bummed out.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm

FormerLurker wrote:I never really thought of this. Now I'm bummed out.

You had at least 23 years to think about it.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm

:lol:
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:24 pm

FormerLurker wrote::lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
SamDBL

Postby soulforce » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:37 am

For me it's a tie between "Don't Wanna Know if You Are Lonely" and "Pink Turns to Blue", and since the latter is not in the poll, I vote "Don't Wanna Know if You Are Lonely".
soulforce

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 am

As much as I loved them, I could never see them reuniting for the simple reason that Grant couldn't play the drums anymore - at least at anything close to the fury he did back in the day. At best, they could have both played guitar and had Wurster play drums or something.
scannest

Postby The Snake » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 am

I voted for I Don't Wanna Know If You Are Lonely but I need to mention Green Eyes and Pink Turns To Blue as one of the best Grant songs, specially Green Eyes.

I'm also more fan of Bob Mould songs, specially on Warehouse album, at that point, Bob was much stronger songwriter.
The Snake

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:44 am

The Snake wrote:I'm also more fan of Bob Mould songs, specially on Warehouse album, at that point, Bob was much stronger songwriter.

WAREHOUSE has 2 of Grant's worst songs ('You're a Soldier' and 'Too Much Spice'), but also some of his best ('She's a Woman...', 'You Can Live at Home Now', 'She Floated Away', 'Actual Condition')
scannest

Postby The Snake » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 am

scannest wrote:
The Snake wrote:I'm also more fan of Bob Mould songs, specially on Warehouse album, at that point, Bob was much stronger songwriter.

WAREHOUSE has 2 of Grant's worst songs ('You're a Soldier' and 'Too Much Spice'), but also some of his best ('She's a Woman...', 'You Can Live at Home Now', 'She Floated Away', 'Actual Condition')

Yeah, I get your point but also Mould has not one bad song on Warehouse.
The Snake

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 am

The Snake wrote:
scannest wrote:

This is right.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 am

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Bob never wanted to because he never needed to. I think he wrote the song that became the theme for The Daily Show.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 am

scannest wrote:

I'm listening to Warehouse right now and have always thought that it's a tour de force for Bob (much like Candy Apple Grey is for Grant) whereas Grant's songs are weaker. I do agree that "She Floated Away" and "She's a Woman" are great songs, though, but so is "Too Much Spice." It's so catchy. I barely remember what "Actual Condition" and "You're a Soldier" sound like, tbh.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 am

FormerLurker wrote:
The Snake wrote:
scannest wrote:

This is right.

Thirded. I mean "It's Not Peculiar" can get stuck in my head for days, "Ice Cold Ice," "Could You Be the One?" all incredible. "Friend, You've Got to Fall" and "Turn It Around' are incredible, too. I don't get why some fans hate this record, but as always your mileage may vary.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 am

scannest wrote:

I think 'You're A Soldier' is one of his best songs. For years and years I thought he said "Running around like an insane n*gger", though. Very confusing for me.

Also, am I the only one that didn't realize there were two singers when I first heard this band? I was all like 'it's weird how the singer's voice sounds slightly different on some of the songs. He must've had a cold that day'
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:46 am

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Bob never wanted to because he never needed to. I think he wrote the song that became the theme for The Daily Show.

Please. Everyone could always use an extra million dollars, or whatever those bands get paid. Especially if it's just laying there right in front of you. Only reason to pass that up would be pure, blinding hatred.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 am

Warehouse is the best Husker record. Fuck off. I used to think Actual Condition was the only shitty song on it. Now, I could even hang with that. Especially since the dude is dead, and all...
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 am

SamDBL wrote:Also, am I the only one that didn't realize there were two singers when I first heard this band? I was all like 'it's weird how the singer's voice sounds slightly different on some of the songs. He must've had a cold that day'

Yes, you are indeed the only one. Jesus.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:01 am

FormerLurker wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Also, am I the only one that didn't realize there were two singers when I first heard this band? I was all like 'it's weird how the singer's voice sounds slightly different on some of the songs. He must've had a cold that day'

I think it was the same the first few times I heard the goo goo dolls, too. :(
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 am

SamDBL wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

I think it was the same the first few times I heard the goo goo dolls, too. :(

I never realized this until you mentioned it just now. :oops:
jaybird

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am

I tried looking for a 'weak' Bob song on WAREHOUSE and I couldn't find one.

'You're a Soldier' just plods along with a chorus that goes nowhere. I enjoy 'Too Much Spice' musically, but the lyrics are really trite (same for 'Soldier').
scannest

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:29 am

I think "No Reservations" is Bob's one clunker on Warehouse... just sorts meanders along for a few minutes, then it's over.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 am

SamDBL wrote:Please. Everyone could always use an extra million dollars, or whatever those bands get paid. Especially if it's just laying there right in front of you. Only reason to pass that up would be pure, blinding hatred.

I don't disagree, but though I've met Bob a few times and interviewed him once, I didn't outright ask him (I imagine it's kind of a sore subject or at least one that's been asked a ton, obviously, so I wanted to avoid that) and so I can't get inside his head. I'm sure there were lingering bad feelings on all sides and the suicide of their manager towards the end of their time as a band probably contributed to that.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Please. Everyone could always use an extra million dollars, or whatever those bands get paid. Especially if it's just laying there right in front of you. Only reason to pass that up would be pure, blinding hatred.

I don't disagree, but though I've met Bob a few times and interviewed him once, I didn't outright ask him (I imagine it's kind of a sore subject or at least one that's been asked a ton, obviously, so I wanted to avoid that) and so I can't get inside his head. I'm sure there were lingering bad feelings on all sides and the suicide of their manager towards the end of their time as a band probably contributed to that.

It's not like Husker Du was one of these anti-capitalist, never-major-label type bands. I could see that being a thing with a band like Fugazi or Op Ivy not doing one of the mega fests for a big pay out. I guess if you are doing ok for money as Bob Mould is, then the desperation necessary to play in a band with someone you dislike playing in a band with is quite there. But it would have to be pretty hefty baggage for most people to turn down a couple days rehearsal and a 2 hour set for a payday that'd set you up for a couple of years, at least. I'd still have to chalk it up to people reeeally not wanting to be near each other. Was there any evidence of them making up at all? I remember reading Bob interviews around the time of Sugar, and he was still lightly slagging Grant whenever his name was brought up.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 am

SamDBL wrote:
JGJR wrote:

It's not like Husker Du was one of these anti-capitalist, never-major-label type bands. I could see that being a thing with a band like Fugazi or Op Ivy not doing one of the mega fests for a big pay out. I guess if you are doing ok for money as Bob Mould is, then the desperation necessary to play in a band with someone you dislike playing in a band with is quite there. But it would have to be pretty hefty baggage for most people to turn down a couple days rehearsal and a 2 hour set for a payday that'd set you up for a couple of years, at least. I'd still have to chalk it up to people reeeally not wanting to be near each other. Was there any evidence of them making up at all? I remember reading Bob interviews around the time of Sugar, and he was still lightly slagging Grant whenever his name was brought up.

Yeah, they never, ever truly buried the hatchet... in Bob's autobiography, I think he talks about playing an acoustic set with Grant at some charity benefit thing a few years back, and said that it was pretty cordial at first, but Grant would keep making bitchy, passive aggressive comments or whatever, and it was like he was back in 1988 re-living the whole break-up all over again. I think they got to the point where they could talk business about the band's legacy in a constructive manner, but as far ever working together creatively or having to actually deal with each other on a daily, face-to-face basis just wasn't ever going to happen again.
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 am

Yeah, this is the epsiode he talks about in his book:

Q: When you guys reunited at the Karl Mueller tribute show in 2004, was there a reason that Norton didn’t come back?

BM: Again, in the book, I laid the whole scenario out very clearly. Grant got my phone number from my lawyer, called, and asked if he could come down and play a song with me, which turned into two songs. And because it was Karl Mueller, who was a dear friend, I was in a spot where I really didn’t know what to do, so I said yes, and it was a less than memorable experience. All it did was remind me that sometimes you can’t go back at all.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2012/09/ ... and-sugar/
jaybird

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm

If I remember correctly from Bob's book, the final nail in the coffin (for him) was Grant's mom asking if the band could slow down its hectic pace to help with her son's new found sobriety. Bob was so offended by the idea of Grant's mom sticking herself into their business that he dissolved his business relationship with the the band a few days later. Upon reading his description I couldn't believe how offended he was at the suggestion, especially as Grant's mom was kinda instrumental in the band's beginnings (I think Bob lived at their house for quite awhile when he moved to MN).
I could have some of this wrong. I read the book once when it came out and sold my copy soon thereafter. I didn't think it was very interesting. Bob is too guarded a person to really 'show' himself in a memoir.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Bob does seem like he's pretty unsentimental, and there's plenty of stories floating around out there about him being a legendary dick to his fans and other musicians. But there's just as many stories out there about Grant being completely flaky and unprofessional and an all-around mess. I couldn't have been easy being in a band with either one of them.
jaybird

Postby The Snake » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:08 pm

I also want to make this clear, not that some Grant songs on Warehouse are that bad but they are just not that good comparing to Mould songs on Warehouse and the rest of HD discography.
Still, Warehouse is in my opinion much stronger record than Candy Apple Grey which I love A side but don't think that B side is that great.

As for Grant and performing, few years ago he played a tour with a band called ESC Life from Zagreb, Croatia where I live and they said only good stuff about him, that he was pretty laid back and easy to work with. I watched one show on that tour and that was pretty amazing experience because they played lots of HD songs. That is probably the closest that I will ever get to some ex-Huskrer Du playing HD songs.
The Snake

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

I saw grant play solo twice - this first time he was pretty rough, he seemed to be on a pretty steep downward trajectory, the 2nd time a couple years later he was really great, and looked like he had his act together.

If anyone needs another "Grant-and-what-his-music-means-to-me" piece, my old bandmate and friend did a nice write up here:

http://pencilstorm.com/blog/2017/pink-t ... emy-porter
jaybird

Postby Dinko » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Old Empire. Easily the Hart song I've listened to the most. Fittingly crap production, too.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:32 pm

SamDBL wrote:
JGJR wrote:

They've slagged each other in various articles I'd seen, but the most recent stuff that's come up after Grant's passing alluded to them staying in touch, albeit mostly for business-related stuff. You're likely not wrong about them not wanting to be in the same room with each other, though, based on what Bob wrote in his book.

And obviously, I never claimed that Hüsker Dü (despite their extreme D.I.Y. nature compared to say, The Replacements) had the anti-major attitude of Fugazi. They obviously didn't since they signed to Warner Brothers, though Mould claimed later in his book and elsewhere from what I remember that he regretted that decision deeply. I think that was mostly for economic and not ethical reasons, though, but maybe half dozen of one and six of the other.
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse