Bill Bartell has past away ... very sad day.

Bill Bartell has past away ... very sad day.

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 pm

:cry: In case y'all haven't heard yet: the man behind White Flag/Gasatanka Records/sweet dude/my fb friend won't be rocking the KISS-riffs in public again but I'm sure somewhere out there he's jamming on "Strutter". Think good thoughts on a good fella. :cry:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Re: Bill Bartell has past away ... very sad day.

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 am

Been listening to White Flag a good bit recently too,love them. Very sad.

I've seen this mentioned around but no links for confirmation anywhere?
Gary

Postby MXV » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:19 am

Sadly it is true. Bill was a great and genuinely nice guy. He and I had corresponded numerous times over the years and then I finally got to meet him in person the one time in history White Flag came to Chicago which was only a few years ago. I talked to him for quite some time after their show and I always hoped to see him again (and White Flag). The dude did a lot for the music scene in the past 30 years and man he could write some catchy punk tunes and also had a great sense of humor.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby the mean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 am

Sorry to hear that.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:36 am

the mean wrote:Sorry to hear that.

This. Is the Gasatanka label the same one that put out Marginal Man's Double Image? I forgot that there was a connection to White Flag. The only WF I've ever knowingly heard it is the Jail Jello split with The Necros and the WF side is far better.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:42 am

Bill was quite a character. I was thinking of it yesterday, and I have been doing art for Bill and White Flag for over 20 years! So crazy to think we've been working for so long together. Bill did run Gasatanka, and they did put out Double Image. Bill was so connected with the LA scene and worked for quite a while with Flipside. He was a huge music fanatic, and I really am so thankful to all the things he shared with me over the years. I am just stunned.
Chris Shary

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 am

White Flag introduced me to so many bands,Cheap Trick,Blue Oyster Cult,Golden Earring etc,by doing covers of great, great songs.
Gary

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am

And Bill was like that so much in his personal life as well. Just a few weeks ago he sent me some unreleased Cheap Trick live recordings with their first singer. Bill was one of the most passionate fans of music I have ever met. His love for the Germs alone was so totally epic. Bill's the young kid in Decline who holds up a Germs banner when they are playing, with the orange shirt and NO MUSTACHE!!!! He also is the kid who spits and sucks it back up, but without the mustache most people do not know that.
Chris Shary

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Besides, Bill was spoofing the FLAG bars WAY before it was "cool" to do so! A true pioneer!
Chris Shary

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:51 pm

They always made the covers sound like White Flag songs too.

Definitely gave the impression they were super into music,all the little nods of the hat,riffs from songs that never seemed stolen,rather they just fit them in etc. So great. All the spoof record sleeves etc.

Any other band doing it,it would plain suck.

I also never knew all that about Decline.
Gary

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:34 pm

A really odd thing about Bill being in Decline, when the film on the Germs "What We Do Is Secret" was made, Bill lent the kid who plays him in the crowd his orange shirt and light blue home made Germs shirt that he originally wore in Decline. How's that for authenticity? Bill also played a cop in a small scene in "What We Do Is Secret". How funny is that? He called me up when they were doing that scene to see if I could drive down to be in it with him, but I simply didn't have the time. Punkers playing cops, awesome!
Chris Shary

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 pm

rip
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Chris Shary wrote:A really odd thing about Bill being in Decline, when the film on the Germs "What We Do Is Secret" was made, Bill lent the kid who plays him in the crowd his orange shirt and light blue home made Germs shirt that he originally wore in Decline. How's that for authenticity? Bill also played a cop in a small scene in "What We Do Is Secret". How funny is that? He called me up when they were doing that scene to see if I could drive down to be in it with him, but I simply didn't have the time. Punkers playing cops, awesome!

This is great.
Gary

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:27 pm

LOVED my White Flag.

RIP Bill!
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse