Dead Boys 40th Anniversary Tour

Dead Boys 40th Anniversary Tour

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 pm

A lot of people are outraged that this would be happening, But Cheetah is going forward. Can't bring Stiv back obviously. What do you all think?

https://www.facebook.com/deadboysyoungl ... nottyat40/

I will probably head to the Boston area show since my friends bands are opening. I read in the latest Razorcake that it is only a 12 song set?
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Dead Boys 40th Anniversary Tour

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:50 am

earthdog70 wrote:A lot of people are outraged that this would be happening, But Cheetah is going forward. Can't bring Stiv back obviously. What do you all think?

https://www.facebook.com/deadboysyoungl ... nottyat40/

I will probably head to the Boston area show since my friends bands are opening. I read in the latest Razorcake that it is only a 12 song set?

I think that there are way more important things going on right now to be outraged about, but more pertinent to this topic, I'm considering going to see this in September, but would probably read reports first. Short sets are a good start! I wonder if they do all of Y, L & S.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm

c'mon....without Stiv? i know the germs did it...but still.

what next? a GG anniversary tour?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:05 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:c'mon....without Stiv? i know the germs did it...but still.

At the very least, the Germs had Pat, Lorna & Don in the band. You got all the classic living members of that band that you could.

Just saw Cheetah Chrome last year - and he was great! But billing it as the Dead Boys is pretty disingenuous. As far as I know, Jimmy Zero, Jeff Magnum and Johnny Blitz are all still alive...you go out with those guys, fair enough.

But - if not - Cheetah is the biggest ex-Dead Boy still around....tour under your own name and bill it as "Celebrating 40 Years of the Dead Boys"....I don't think that would be much of an issue for anyone.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:56 pm

captain2man wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:c'mon....without Stiv? i know the germs did it...but still.

At the very least, the Germs had Pat, Lorna & Don in the band. You got all the classic living members of that band that you could.

Just saw Cheetah Chrome last year - and he was great! But billing it as the Dead Boys is pretty disingenuous. As far as I know, Jimmy Zero, Jeff Magnum and Johnny Blitz are all still alive...you go out with those guys, fair enough.

But - if not - Cheetah is the biggest ex-Dead Boy still around....tour under your own name and bill it as "Celebrating 40 Years of the Dead Boys"....I don't think that would be much of an issue for anyone.
\

He played the same club here under his own (punk) name last year (this year the Dead Boys connection is emphasized) and Johnny Blitz appears to be in his touring band.

http://www.kungfunecktie.com/event/1475 ... ladelphia/
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:09 am

Dead Boys are a classic punk band that I do not get. at. all. Stiv's vocal mannerisms are beyond irritating and they're lyrics are soooo skeevy. I know it is ridiculous to complain about how gross and unpleasant a punk band is, but they are not my thing. It doesn't help that I had to listen to Cheetah's 'gargling with broker glass' voice when he played with Sylvain Sylvain a years ago.
I know, I'm a dick.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 am

I've always been kind of lukewarm on the Dead Boys myself. "Sonic Reducer" is a seriously great song, but there isn't anything else in the Dead Boys cannon that's even close to being that good.

As for Cheetah touring as the Dead Boys, it seems kind of silly.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Last edited by Welly on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Welly wrote:Damn, no wonder you people don't get the complicated stuff, when you don't even grasp the basics. :lol:

Don't lump me in with those who don't get the first Lp (which is a total classic; beyond that, I can take or leave 'em), but like with anything, your mileage may vary.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:21 am

Welly

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:00 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:Damn, no wonder you people don't get the complicated stuff, when you don't even grasp the basics. :lol:

Don't lump me in with those who don't get the first Lp (which is a total classic; beyond that, I can take or leave 'em), but like with anything, your mileage may vary.

Wasn't.

C'mon, there are some gems on the Second LP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aisJCPJcjnU

The 12" from the 80's reunion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiP1pG4cx_4

Aaand Sonic Reducer was a Rocket From the Tombs song pre-Frankenstein/Dead Boys/Pere Ubu anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g3dvtk805M

The rest of their vinyl output is just post-mortem live cash-in shit.

I know all that stuff, though I'm least familiar with that '80s 12", but I must recommend the 3rd Generation Nation thing that I had a cd-r of at one point. It's demo versions of the songs from the 2nd record and IMO they are better than the released version. But I just meant that Y, L & S is essential and great from start to finish.

I also had the Night of the Living Dead Boys CD from the '87 reunion show and that was pretty decent.

BTW, I LOVE the 2003 RFTT album Rocket Redux. The '70s rehearsal stuff is fine, but I'm glad they were able to record all that great old stuff properly. The reunion stuff since then hasn't been quite as strong, but there are gems peppered in there.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 am

Welly

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 am

I've owned their two proper albums and the demo versions of both. I like them just fine, but Sonic Reducer is the only thing they did that I really loved. I also owned the archival RTT release. Again, I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. Maybe I'll go back and give all that stuff another listen.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:16 pm

PS: It appears that they are re-recording YL&S. Now that is some stupid pointless bullshit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Last edited by Welly on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:PS: It appears that they are re-recording YL&S. Now that is some stupid pointless bullshit.

There's a lot of it about.

This. Re-recordings of classic albums are almost always a bad idea.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:29 pm

version sound wrote:I've owned their two proper albums and the demo versions of both. I like them just fine, but Sonic Reducer is the only thing they did that I really loved. I also owned the archival RTT release. Again, I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. Maybe I'll go back and give all that stuff another listen.

You would do well to do that, but focus your listening on Y, L & S as well as Rocket Redux *which is WAY better than the archival release of those songs). If you don't like those, I'd say that neither RFTT nor the Dead Boys are for you.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Welly

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Welly

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:25 pm

version sound wrote: "Sonic Reducer" is a seriously great song, but there isn't anything else in the Dead Boys cannon that's even close to being that good.

"All this and More " comes" mighty close.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse