Joan Jett and D.C. Punk

Joan Jett and D.C. Punk

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm

She produced singles by Circus Lupus and Bikini Kill and covered Lungfish. Does she have some sort of connection to the D.C. scene beyond liking these bands?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Joan Jett and D.C. Punk

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:12 pm

When I saw her play with Cheap Trick at Jiffy Lube live last summer, Kenny Laguna did a minutes long rap about how the music industry is filled with sycophants and phonies but they were fortunate to have real friends Ian MacKaye and Joe Lally from "the greatest indie band in the world -- Fugazi" hanging out backstage with them. It was pretty cool.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 am

I'm pretty sure she spent a big chunk of her childhood in Maryland. Of course, that was long before there was any D.C. punk scene, but I think she has been based out of there more recently too.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 am

scannest wrote:I'm pretty sure she spent a big chunk of her childhood in Maryland. Of course, that was long before there was any D.C. punk scene, but I think she has been based out of there more recently too.

Yeah, she kept making reference to growing up in Rockville (or maybe it was Wheaton).
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 am

That makes sense. I always assumed she was from Southern California.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:26 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:I'm pretty sure she spent a big chunk of her childhood in Maryland. Of course, that was long before there was any D.C. punk scene, but I think she has been based out of there more recently too.

Yeah, she kept making reference to growing up in Rockville (or maybe it was Wheaton).

Rockville, but she went to Wheaton HS according to her Wiki (not sure about the accuracy). I find it most interesting that she was born in Wynnewood, PA where I lived for 2 years. Anyway, it appears that she moved to LA during high school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Jett#Early_life
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:53 pm

I remember there being a house off a main road in Wheaton that was white with a big black heart painted on the front. I always assumed she lived there.

I saw her 2 weeks ago open for Boston (won free tickets via SiriusXM). She was great and Kenny Laguna looked like a retired mobster on keyboards :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby captain2man » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:When I saw her play with Cheap Trick at Jiffy Lube live last summer, Kenny Laguna did a minutes long rap about how the music industry is filled with sycophants and phonies but they were fortunate to have real friends Ian MacKaye and Joe Lally from "the greatest indie band in the world -- Fugazi" hanging out backstage with them. It was pretty cool.

Saw Joan Jett this past Sunday....I guess Laguna likes doing stuff like that.....he gave a shout out to Nikki Haley who I guess was there somewhere. Not quite in the same league as MacKaye/Lally IMO.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 am

earthdog70 wrote:I remember there being a house off a main road in Wheaton that was white with a big black heart painted on the front. I always assumed she lived there.

I saw her 2 weeks ago open for Boston (won free tickets via SiriusXM). She was great and Kenny Laguna looked like a retired mobster on keyboards :lol:

I thought about that going to that since I could probably get free tickets via the Ticketmaster settlement thing, but I'm going to see Wilco at the same venue there tomorrow night and saw Jett there last year with Heart and Cheap Trick (she was good; I'd just prefer to see her in a smaller place headlining).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 am

captain2man wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:When I saw her play with Cheap Trick at Jiffy Lube live last summer, Kenny Laguna did a minutes long rap about how the music industry is filled with sycophants and phonies but they were fortunate to have real friends Ian MacKaye and Joe Lally from "the greatest indie band in the world -- Fugazi" hanging out backstage with them. It was pretty cool.

Saw Joan Jett this past Sunday....I guess Laguna likes doing stuff like that.....he gave a shout out to Nikki Haley who I guess was there somewhere. Not quite in the same league as MacKaye/Lally IMO.

What an odd juxtaposition; curious what he said about Haley.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 am

JGJR wrote:What an odd juxtaposition; curious what he said about Haley.

It was pretty generic, respectful and apolitical.
captain2man

Return to daghouse