The official Daghouse thread for Breaking Bad

Re: The official Daghouse thread for Breaking Bad

Postby tad ghostal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 pm

JGJR wrote:I think the reason that Walt will come for the neo-Nazis with the M60 shown in an earlier episode's cold opening is not only because Uncle Jack killed Hank, but because they took most of his money. Whether or not Jesse will be freed from his enslavement remains to be seen.

Not only did they steal his money, but it has to be obvious to Walt that Uncle Jack went back on his word to kill Jesse and is, instead, using him to produce blue meth. I'm sure this seems to Walt like history repeating itself: first, he's pushed out of the company he co-founded and sees that his contribution is downplayed to simply coming up with the company name, and now someone else is profiting off of his signature product while he's forced to hide out. It seems to me like this is what ultimately drives Walt back to make one last play: not the the theft of his money, but the blow to his ego.
tad ghostal

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 pm

FLIP
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:10 pm

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:06 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:I think the reason that Walt will come for the neo-Nazis with the M60 shown in an earlier episode's cold opening is not only because Uncle Jack killed Hank, but because they took most of his money. Whether or not Jesse will be freed from his enslavement remains to be seen.

And yes, Mad Men is also splitting its final season into two parts like Breaking Bad. The first part is airing next year and they will finish up in 2015. I understand why they're doing this from a marketing standpoint (it's been massively successful now with BB), but as a long-time fan of Mad Men, it kind of pisses me off. I'd prefer not to wait a year to see the final episodes!

personally, i'd like to jesse die as walt(although he obviously is no saint here) went out of his way to keep the guy alive many times with gus, tuco(or whoever that guy was in the first season), and several others. he even turned down the suggestion from saul to whack him, even though he knew that pretty much always left it open for him to be killed. jesse going to the DEA was the ultimate rat move. wallt left him with money he didn't have to give him and his life, can't really ask for much more after you have been in the drug game.

i am not even that down on the neo nazis. they took his money, but they could have left him with nothing and killed him as well.

I'm beginning to think you don't have a heart re: Jesse. He only went to the DEA to frame Walt after he found out that it was Walt and not Gus who had poisoned Brock. He's been used and manipulated like a pawn by Walt at every turn. Sure, Walt has kept him alive on many occasions, but ultimately I think Walt is incapable of giving Jesse the attention he craved given their surrogate father/son relationship.

I don't agree. Remember that besides being Neo-Nazis, they killed Hank (well more accurately Uncle Jack did) and that they have no qualms about killing children (sure Todd did it but they are amoral assholes). Lydia is just as dangerous as they are, though, given what happened with Todd going to the Whites' house in last night's episode.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:08 pm

tad ghostal wrote:

Not only did they steal his money, but it has to be obvious to Walt that Uncle Jack went back on his word to kill Jesse and is, instead, using him to produce blue meth. I'm sure this seems to Walt like history repeating itself: first, he's pushed out of the company he co-founded and sees that his contribution is downplayed to simply coming up with the company name, and now someone else is profiting off of his signature product while he's forced to hide out. It seems to me like this is what ultimately drives Walt back to make one last play: not the the theft of his money, but the blow to his ego.

Very good point but how does he know? Because the blue stuff is still making news, I'd guess, once he got those ABQ papers delivered?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:09 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Walt's ego has always been his downfall. I will have more thoughts later....I don't know how they're going to wrap everything up with one more episode but hey.

in some ways, but i see his fatal flaw as his loyalty and love to friends and family, which is ultimately the only thing left about him that is sympathetic. he let hank and jesse live through repeated situations when it would have been easier to kill them.

When could have he killed Hank? In the garage? I''m trying to understand your point here (or that part of it).
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Walt's ego has always been his downfall. I will have more thoughts later....I don't know how they're going to wrap everything up with one more episode but hey.

in some ways, but i see his fatal flaw as his loyalty and love to friends and family, which is ultimately the only thing left about him that is sympathetic. he let hank and jesse live through repeated situations when it would have been easier to kill them.

When could have he killed Hank? In the garage? I''m trying to understand your point here (or that part of it).

there was at least one time where saul suggested that hank go to south america when they met in a car, and hank said he didn't want to hear it again. basically, he always knew where hank was and had access to him.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:55 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

And yes, Mad Men is also splitting its final season into two parts like Breaking Bad. The first part is airing next year and they will finish up in 2015. I understand why they're doing this from a marketing standpoint (it's been massively successful now with BB), but as a long-time fan of Mad Men, it kind of pisses me off. I'd prefer not to wait a year to see the final episodes!

personally, i'd like to jesse die as walt(although he obviously is no saint here) went out of his way to keep the guy alive many times with gus, tuco(or whoever that guy was in the first season), and several others. he even turned down the suggestion from saul to whack him, even though he knew that pretty much always left it open for him to be killed. jesse going to the DEA was the ultimate rat move. wallt left him with money he didn't have to give him and his life, can't really ask for much more after you have been in the drug game.

i am not even that down on the neo nazis. they took his money, but they could have left him with nothing and killed him as well.

I'm beginning to think you don't have a heart re: Jesse. He only went to the DEA to frame Walt after he found out that it was Walt and not Gus who had poisoned Brock. He's been used and manipulated like a pawn by Walt at every turn. Sure, Walt has kept him alive on many occasions, but ultimately I think Walt is incapable of giving Jesse the attention he craved given their surrogate father/son relationship.

I don't agree. Remember that besides being Neo-Nazis, they killed Hank (well more accurately Uncle Jack did) and that they have no qualms about killing children (sure Todd did it but they are amoral assholes). Lydia is just as dangerous as they are, though, given what happened with Todd going to the Whites' house in last night's episode.

yeah, jesse has been manipulated, but at some point he finds out walt is dying and still sets up the bogus call to him. getting him caught is one thing, but giving all of his money to the feds is just the same result as what ended up playing out. remember hank saying "we'll get diggers out here," for the money. can't defend walt with the brock play, but i never really cared about him not saving jane. she was a junkie and prolly would have ended up dying like that anyway, and i think she would have made jessie o.d. at some point as well. but in the end, walt has helped jesse out WAY more than the other way around, and the guy stabbed him in the back.

as for jack, shit, he is prolly one of the few guys showing any compassion here among what's left of the characters standing. he didn't kill walt and left him with 10 million. if you compare him to walt straight up, he doesn't look as bad to me.

if you are still rooting for anyone left at this point, you are definitely hoping the bad guy wins out. i never really liked jesse, but i still like walt.
Last edited by yourenotevil on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:56 pm

JGJR wrote:
tad ghostal wrote:

Very good point but how does he know? Because the blue stuff is still making news, I'd guess, once he got those ABQ papers delivered?

i don't think he knows. even if he thinks jesse is still alive, i am sure he is guessing his time is limited until todd can become a better cook and they whack him out.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:06 pm

yourenotevil wrote:can't defend walt with the brock play, but i never really cared about him not saving jane. she was a junkie and prolly would have ended up dying like that anyway, and i think she would have made jessie o.d. at some point as well. but in the end, walt has helped jesse out WAY more than the other way around, and the guy stabbed him in the back.

Perhaps she would've died anyway at some point, but that's no justification for letting her die when he could have easily saved her. Again, stuff like the above makes me think you have no heart (at least when it comes to your analysis of this show). He let her die so she wouldn't be able to blackmail him again and so he could be the sole person to control and influence Jesse. It's possibly the worst thing he could've done to Jesse (and he didn't even know it until last week's episode). And letting him know was just twisting the knife in as payback for him going to the DEA.

As for Walt helping out Jesse, sure without him Jesse would've just continued as a small-time dealer/cook but he wouldn't have had the headaches he's had since then.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:can't defend walt with the brock play, but i never really cared about him not saving jane. she was a junkie and prolly would have ended up dying like that anyway, and i think she would have made jessie o.d. at some point as well. but in the end, walt has helped jesse out WAY more than the other way around, and the guy stabbed him in the back.

Perhaps she would've died anyway at some point, but that's no justification for letting her die when he could have easily saved her. Again, stuff like the above makes me think you have no heart (at least when it comes to your analysis of this show). He let her die so she wouldn't be able to blackmail him again and so he could be the sole person to control and influence Jesse. It's possibly the worst thing he could've done to Jesse (and he didn't even know it until last week's episode). And letting him know was just twisting the knife in as payback for him going to the DEA.

As for Walt helping out Jesse, sure without him Jesse would've just continued as a small-time dealer/cook but he wouldn't have had the headaches he's had since then.

haha, i can live with being the heartless bastard when it comes to this show. part of the reason why i like it is that the good guys rarely win, which is pretty rare for a tv show. i forget the specifics of jane blackmailing walt. i saw the episodes when they aired, and i think that was in season 3 which was 3 years ago or something. anyway, i gave him the pass on that one, even though i liked her character. i'm just saying walt killed those two guys who were going to kill jesse, and i think there was one other time when he saved his life too in a direct manner(i can't remember now, but i think gus wanted him dead at some point). i think at some point walt did care for jesse, even after the brock thing. like i said, if he was totally ruthless he would have killed jesse.
yourenotevil

Postby James » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:34 am

I just hope Breaking Bad doesn't have a lame ending like Dexter. Worst series finale ever.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:42 am

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

haha, i can live with being the heartless bastard when it comes to this show. part of the reason why i like it is that the good guys rarely win, which is pretty rare for a tv show. i forget the specifics of jane blackmailing walt. i saw the episodes when they aired, and i think that was in season 3 which was 3 years ago or something. anyway, i gave him the pass on that one, even though i liked her character. i'm just saying walt killed those two guys who were going to kill jesse, and i think there was one other time when he saved his life too in a direct manner(i can't remember now, but i think gus wanted him dead at some point). i think at some point walt did care for jesse, even after the brock thing. like i said, if he was totally ruthless he would have killed jesse.

Let me refresh your memory then. They (well more accurately Walt) had just garned $1.2 million in cash via their first drug deal with Gus. Jesse had missed it because he was high and out of it (and slept in, I think), had to be shaken awake by Walt and finally he told Walt where the stash was (underneath the sink). Walt then grabbed it with garbage bags and sped to make it on time to meet Gus. In the aftermath of this, Jesse pieced together what had happened after he found the stash missing and after he told Jane, she demanded his half of the money. After Saul's fee, it ended up being something like $450K if I remember correctly. She threatened to turn him in if he didn't comply. It was in season 2 as she died at the end of that season IIRC.

I definitely think Walt cares for Jesse. That's not debatable. He's a surrogate son. The only problem is that Walt is a complete asshole and that, as I mentioned before, he has taken advantage of Jesse at every opportunity for his own gain. Furthermore, their relationship is based not on love and trust, but on the awful things they have done together and for each other.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:09 am

then letting jane die was the right move. i remember him getting the bags, but i forgot about the blackmail.

jesse has had his moments, but overall walt was the more likeable and complex character during the series. i prolly liked hank the most after walt, but i knew he was going to die at some point this season. so i was going all in on someone coming out on top, it would be walt, but i doubt that happens.
yourenotevil

Postby tad ghostal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 am

JGJR wrote:
tad ghostal wrote:

My guess is that he could figure out that Jesse was involved because before everything went down, Lydia came to him asking Walt to cook again, so Walt knew that whoever was cooking for Lydia couldn't do it right. Last time he saw Jack and Todd, they took Jesse. Now he knows that the blue stuff is back in the Southwest and is rumored to be in Europe (which Walt knows is where Lydia's connections are) thanks to the Charlie Rose interview at the end of the show. Even though Walt taught Todd how to cook, Todd was never really good at it, so I'm sure Walt could piece enough of the situation together in his head.

At least, that's my theory.
tad ghostal

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:06 am

yourenotevil wrote:then letting jane die was the right move. i remember him getting the bags, but i forgot about the blackmail.

jesse has had his moments, but overall walt was the more likeable and complex character during the series. i prolly liked hank the most after walt, but i knew he was going to die at some point this season. so i was going all in on someone coming out on top, it would be walt, but i doubt that happens.

I have to be honest and say that I never cared for Hank all that much. I mean, he had his moments of awesomeness like taking out the Salamanca twins (and Tuco before that), but he was basically a bully not only to Walt in the first season but to his wife after he was shot and she did her best to take care of him. He was such an intolerable prick. And plus, though he was incredible at figuring out cases (kinda like Pres on The Wire; one of my favorite characters on that show and a character who was much more likable than Hank's, he was a terrible street cop IMO. When he figured out Walt was Heisenberg, his dumbest move was to let Walt know he was being investigated, but his anger and rage at being outsmarted by his brother-in-law took over and he stopped at nothing to get him (and used Jesse for his own ends as well, making him no better than Walt in that regard). Also, starting a bar fight for no reason and letting his anger get the best of him when he beat up Jesse were dumb moves, too.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:07 am

tad ghostal wrote:
JGJR wrote:
tad ghostal wrote:

My guess is that he could figure out that Jesse was involved because before everything went down, Lydia came to him asking Walt to cook again, so Walt knew that whoever was cooking for Lydia couldn't do it right. Last time he saw Jack and Todd, they took Jesse. Now he knows that the blue stuff is back in the Southwest and is rumored to be in Europe (which Walt knows is where Lydia's connections are) thanks to the Charlie Rose interview at the end of the show. Even though Walt taught Todd how to cook, Todd was never really good at it, so I'm sure Walt could piece enough of the situation together in his head.

At least, that's my theory.

I don't remember the blue stuff being mentioned on Charlie Rose (just in the SW part of the U.S., but not in Europe). I'll have to re-watch that part, but otherwise I think you are on point here.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:then letting jane die was the right move. i remember him getting the bags, but i forgot about the blackmail.

I have to be honest and say that I never cared for Hank all that much. I mean, he had his moments of awesomeness like taking out the Salamanca twins (and Tuco before that), but he was basically a bully not only to Walt in the first season but to his wife after he was shot and she did her best to take care of him. He was such an intolerable prick. And plus, though he was incredible at figuring out cases (kinda like Pres on The Wire; one of my favorite characters on that show and a character who was much more likable than Hank's, he was a terrible street cop IMO. When he figured out Walt was Heisenberg, his dumbest move was to let Walt know he was being investigated, but his anger and rage at being outsmarted by his brother-in-law took over and he stopped at nothing to get him (and used Jesse for his own ends as well, making him no better than Walt in that regard). Also, starting a bar fight for no reason and letting his anger get the best of him when he beat up Jesse were dumb moves, too.

oh man, who is the black hearted bastard now? ha. i guess you have a fresher memory of it since you just saw them all, but i liked hank a lot. i mean, at least he was honorable since we are debating that. i don't remember him treating marie that badly, and to be honest, marie is almost as fucking annoying as her sister. did they ever touch upon why she and hank never had kids? was it his job? i remember them saying something once about it, but i couldn't be sure, since they made her character so into skylar's kids. i guess this show doesn't have a ton of likeable characters. my favorites were walt, hank, mike and saul. i guess jesse had his moments, but the last 8 episodes have left him in a very bad light. i pretty much think marie and all of walt's family are annoying, but i think they are supposed to be.

did you watch the sopranos? if so, who did you like best in that show? what about the wire since you brought it up?

one day i will go back and watch BB again, but i have only done that when shows are over. i ended up watching the wire and the sopranos once after the original airings or renting them when they first came out, and i think it was worth it both times. i don't know if i would do that with BB tho, or at least not for a few years.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:40 am

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

oh man, who is the black hearted bastard now? ha. i guess you have a fresher memory of it since you just saw them all, but i liked hank a lot. i mean, at least he was honorable since we are debating that. i don't remember him treating marie that badly, and to be honest, marie is almost as fucking annoying as her sister. did they ever touch upon why she and hank never had kids? was it his job? i remember them saying something once about it, but i couldn't be sure, since they made her character so into skylar's kids. i guess this show doesn't have a ton of likeable characters. my favorites were walt, hank, mike and saul. i guess jesse had his moments, but the last 8 episodes have left him in a very bad light. i pretty much think marie and all of walt's family are annoying, but i think they are supposed to be.

did you watch the sopranos? if so, who did you like best in that show? what about the wire since you brought it up?

one day i will go back and watch BB again, but i have only done that when shows are over. i ended up watching the wire and the sopranos once after the original airings or renting them when they first came out, and i think it was worth it both times. i don't know if i would do that with BB tho, or at least not for a few years.

I agree w/ YNE. I couldn't disagree more about Hank, JGJR. I think he was a very likeable character and one of the only ones who never really "broke bad". Sure towards the end his motives seemed a little skewed and he basically would stop at nothing to catch Walt, including basically making it seem like Jesse's life was worthless, but from the outside looking in, can you really blame him?
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 am

Also, I truly believe Hank loved Walt like a brother. I can't imagine the betrayal he must have felt when he found out the truth. That can make somone do crazy things.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:54 am

I do give credit where it's due. I never said that Hank didn't love Walt or treat him like a brother (but I do think his good-natured ribbing really rubbed Walt the wrong way but more it was the feeling of superiority that was lorded over him due to his family's finances, et al. compared to Hank and Marie's) and yes, he had a chance to "break bad" in season 3 after the beating he gave to Jesse, but he didn't do it and got suspended and for that I give him credit as he copped to his mistakes.

My point is that he's not JUST a heroic figure as some (on the show and also some fans) like to think of him as, but a deeply-flawed (and yes, ultimately good) man. And I also wondered why he and Marie (agree very much with YNE on her annoyance level; didn't care for her at all early on but found her more sympathetic when she was taking all that crap from Hank) didn't have kids. It wasn't ever mentioned. And how heartbroken must it have been for Walt when he saw how his son idolized Hank and treated him more like a father figure (sure that was mainly his fault for not being around and preferring to cook meth, but I have a feeling that even before that, Jr looked to Hank more to than to his dad).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 am

I think we should have separate threads for The Wire and The Sopranos. I liked both shows a lot and the former is much fresher in my mind since we watched all of it last year. I'd love to revisit it one day (same with The Sopranos).
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:05 am

Marie can be annoying but I think she plays the "annoying loveable Aunt" very well.

Also, I maybe understood some of the Skyler hate early on but rewatching the series I think she gets a lot of unfair heat. I can't blame her for a lot of her actions and choices.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 am

gregpolard wrote:Marie can be annoying but I think she plays the "annoying loveable Aunt" very well.

Also, I maybe understood some of the Skyler hate early on but rewatching the series I think she gets a lot of unfair heat. I can't blame her for a lot of her actions and choices.

hold your horses fall out boy. skylar is a straight up bitch, no other way to say it. when she delivers that line that she is fucking ted to walt in the kitchen, man, that was some cold hearted shit. if she dies, i have no problems at all with that. that said, i think it shows how good of an actress she is since it seems like you are meant to despise her and pretty much everyone i know seems to.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:20 am

gregpolard wrote:Marie can be annoying but I think she plays the "annoying loveable Aunt" very well.

i would trust her to manage a game of find the teacup in the bedsheet as the extent of her aunt abilities.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:44 am

yourenotevil wrote:

hold your horses fall out boy. skylar is a straight up bitch, no other way to say it. when she delivers that line that she is fucking ted to walt in the kitchen, man, that was some cold hearted shit. if she dies, i have no problems at all with that. that said, i think it shows how good of an actress she is since it seems like you are meant to despise her and pretty much everyone i know seems to.

Dude. Think about the context of her saying that though. I've been rewatching the series....here's a woman who's husband is dying, who is distant, who is refusing to get any kind of treatment for a while. A guy who disappears for hours and days on end. I can't really blame her for becoming detached, honestly. I think a lot of the hate (this is going to sound very Ebullition Records here...) is because she's an assertive woman who doesn't take shit. If Walt did what she does, we'd all cheer her on.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Dude. Think about the context of her saying that though. I've been rewatching the series....here's a woman who's husband is dying, who is distant, who is refusing to get any kind of treatment for a while. A guy who disappears for hours and days on end. I can't really blame her for becoming detached, honestly. I think a lot of the hate (this is going to sound very Ebullition Records here...) is because she's an assertive woman who doesn't take shit. If Walt did what she does, we'd all cheer her on.

cheating on a dying husband is pretty low. i don't like skylar because she is annoying and controlling. whatever the situation, she is trying to rule over the whole family or walt's drug dealings. and she is fucking crazy with the knife thing.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 am

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

cheating on a dying husband is pretty low. i don't like skylar because she is annoying and controlling. whatever the situation, she is trying to rule over the whole family or walt's drug dealings. and she is fucking crazy with the knife thing.

She's a mother trying to protect her family from a man she believes just killed her brother in law. Who is a drug kingpin. Who's killed people before. Dying or not, I can't really blame her. Everything she's done was to protect the family. She's protected the family moreso than Walt has, that's for sure.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:03 am

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

She's a mother trying to protect her family from a man she believes just killed her brother in law. Who is a drug kingpin. Who's killed people before. Dying or not, I can't really blame her. Everything she's done was to protect the family. She's protected the family moreso than Walt has, that's for sure.

yeah, i can get that, but the ted thing was pretty low. either way, glad i aint married to her. i think jane was the best of the lot in this aspect of the show.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, i can get that, but the ted thing was pretty low. either way, glad i aint married to her. i think jane was the best of the lot in this aspect of the show.

Jane. The junkie who was going to ruin everything for Walt by blackmailing him? Ok. haha
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:27 am

yourenotevil wrote:

Oh really??? I guess you haven't seen Anna Gunn's NYT op-ed (Emmy bait, sure, but still...).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opini ... .html?_r=0

Regardless, I don't get the Skyler hate. At all. How would you react if you found out your husband was a drug dealer/criminal (dying or not)? At least she had the decency to tell Walt and not try to lie about it.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:28 am

gregpolard wrote:

THIS!!!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am

yourenotevil wrote:yeah, i can get that, but the ted thing was pretty low. either way, glad i aint married to her. i think jane was the best of the lot in this aspect of the show.

Now that's something we can definitely agree on. I love Krysten Ritter and in addition to being really hot on BB, she was also one of my favorite characters (Gale is my favorite BB character ever, for those of you keeping score at home). I was sad when she died for sure.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 am

gregpolard wrote:
Jane. The junkie who was going to ruin everything for Walt by blackmailing him? Ok. haha

Well Walt paid up and she left him alone after that, didn't she? And how does he pay her back? By letting her die by choking on her own vomit and then that lead to the plane crash.

I don't fully agree with that interpretation (though that's in a nutshell what happened), but one could easily see it that way...
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:33 am

Also re: Ted, you knew Skyler was gonna do the horizontal mambo with him soon after that version of "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" Marilyn Monroe style. I'm not saying anyone was surprised, but just that it was kind of inevitable, so it didn't have any shock factor or anything. And plus, what Greg said about Walt being distant, etc.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:yeah, i can get that, but the ted thing was pretty low. either way, glad i aint married to her. i think jane was the best of the lot in this aspect of the show.

Now that's something we can definitely agree on. I love Krysten Ritter and in addition to being really hot on BB, she was also one of my favorite characters (Gale is my favorite BB character ever, for those of you keeping score at home). I was sad when she died for sure.

yeah she is the best looking, was going to start doing tattoo work and was an easy date since she was smacked out half the time. def the least amount of crazy in a woman that this show had to offer. i guess brock's mom was cool, but she was kind of boring.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:39 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Oh really??? I guess you haven't seen Anna Gunn's NYT op-ed (Emmy bait, sure, but still...).

Regardless, I don't get the Skyler hate. At all. How would you react if you found out your husband was a drug dealer/criminal (dying or not)? At least she had the decency to tell Walt and not try to lie about it.

oh man, she has always been annoying. the car wash, the cancer treatment, dealing with the money, taking away the kids. everything she does is super annoying, but like i said, i think she was meant to be hated. didn't read that piece, will check later.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:46 am

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

yeah she is the best looking, was going to start doing tattoo work and was an easy date since she was smacked out half the time. def the least amount of crazy in a woman that this show had to offer. i guess brock's mom was cool, but she was kind of boring.

I'm with you on the appeal of Jane for those and other reasons, but you would really consider her less crazy than any of the non-junkies on the show (the Lambert sisters, for example, or Andrea, who was in recovery)?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:49 am

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

oh man, she has always been annoying. the car wash, the cancer treatment, dealing with the money, taking away the kids. everything she does is super annoying, but like i said, i think she was meant to be hated. didn't read that piece, will check later.

And you disagree with taking the kids to Hank and Marie's after what happened the past few weeks? M'kay...I think her fears were justified, don't you?

I love that she wanted to buy the car wash (she was a bit too insistent, but it's the perfect cover; she was right). The cancer treatment? Really? If anything, Walt was ridiculous. It's his choice, but not telling her was wack. And if she wouldn't deal with the money, it wouldn't have gotten laundered. She was led astray by both Ted and Walt in that regard, though of course she is complicit and that's her greatest weakness (greed; kind of like Walt's).
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:02 am

i just mean the way she goes about everything is so ODC about being in control. that is what i find really annoying about her. i can't argue about taking the kids away, though. i don't know how much money she actually ended up laundering. seems like she just rented the storage space and "sprayed for silverfish." also, i thought that was kind of a bad plotline too. if you are going to keep the money in storage, they should have at least put in in something like the barrels. leaving it under a cloth without anything else in there to make it look like a used storage unit was pretty unbelievable.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:35 am

yourenotevil wrote:i just mean the way she goes about everything is so ODC about being in control. that is what i find really annoying about her. i can't argue about taking the kids away, though. i don't know how much money she actually ended up laundering. seems like she just rented the storage space and "sprayed for silverfish." also, i thought that was kind of a bad plotline too. if you are going to keep the money in storage, they should have at least put in in something like the barrels. leaving it under a cloth without anything else in there to make it look like a used storage unit was pretty unbelievable.

And Walt has no control issues at all, huh? :lol:
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i just mean the way she goes about everything is so ODC about being in control. that is what i find really annoying about her. i can't argue about taking the kids away, though. i don't know how much money she actually ended up laundering. seems like she just rented the storage space and "sprayed for silverfish." also, i thought that was kind of a bad plotline too. if you are going to keep the money in storage, they should have at least put in in something like the barrels. leaving it under a cloth without anything else in there to make it look like a used storage unit was pretty unbelievable.

And Walt has no control issues at all, huh? :lol:

i guess it's more forgivable when you like the character, but it also comes down to liking them. i would hang with walt, but not skylar.
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 pm

I, too, don't think Skylar is an evil bitch just because she rubbed Walt's face in her cheating affair. Walt's been a really f'ed up mofo in his relationship with her. And ever since Walt started working with Neo-Nazis, I think he needs to go down. He became unlikeable to me when he let Jesse's girl die from the junk but even worse when he did biz with Nazis.

Jesse, I have sympathy for, after going through all that shit with Walt, esp: watching & letting Jesse's girl die from the junk. I completely understand Jesse's decision to be a rat.

Also, I didn't think the ender for Dexter was terrible at all. In fact, it was sad and real, to me. :(
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56 pm

I have moved this content over from the Sopranos thread.

yourenotevil wrote:i haven't read a lot of interviews with the creators/writers of BB, as I try to avoid those because they usually have spoilers in them. anyway, my take on what they were trying to do was make a very sympathetic character into someone you would actually want to see die or brought to justice by the show's end. most people i know were rooting for hank or jesse to win out by the season's end, not walt.

I go back and forth with Walt, honestly. It's not so much that I want him to "win" (whatever that means at this point; I would like to see him inflict a whole lot of destruction upon the following folks, though: the Neo-Nazis, Lydia, Todd, Elliott and Gretchen) but sometimes I completely can't stand him (like pretty much all of the first half of season 5 when he was a smug, arrogant shithead). At other times, though, he is quite a sympathetic character (even with all the horrific acts of violence and deceit that he was committed). He is at his best in times of crisis, when his back's against the wall and can McGyver something out of nothing. In season 4, you really felt for him because of the pressure of working in Gus' superlab and because he was dicked around and beaten up in almost every episode. I think the turning point was when we find out he poisoned Brock. I sure lost a lot of sympathy for him then!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:05 pm

JGJR wrote:I have moved this content over from the Sopranos thread.

yourenotevil wrote:i haven't read a lot of interviews with the creators/writers of BB, as I try to avoid those because they usually have spoilers in them. anyway, my take on what they were trying to do was make a very sympathetic character into someone you would actually want to see die or brought to justice by the show's end. most people i know were rooting for hank or jesse to win out by the season's end, not walt.

I go back and forth with Walt, honestly. It's not so much that I want him to "win" (whatever that means at this point; I would like to see him inflict a whole lot of destruction upon the following folks, though: the Neo-Nazis, Lydia, Todd, Elliott and Gretchen) but sometimes I completely can't stand him (like pretty much all of the first half of season 5 when he was a smug, arrogant shithead). At other times, though, he is quite a sympathetic character (even with all the horrific acts of violence and deceit that he was committed). He is at his best in times of crisis, when his back's against the wall and can McGyver something out of nothing. In season 4, you really felt for him because of the pressure of working in Gus' superlab and because he was dicked around and beaten up in almost every episode. I think the turning point was when we find out he poisoned Brock. I sure lost a lot of sympathy for him then!

I agree. For the first half of Season 5 I straight up hated Walt. Lately I've come around. At this point I don't know what to think.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 am

JGJR wrote:I have moved this content over from the Sopranos thread.

yeah, i guess by win i mean get revenge on those who have done him wrong. i don't get the elliot and gretchen hate. because of what they said on tv the last episode? i think you have to say that for good PR. they also offered to pay for his cancer treatment if i remember correctly, so they are not all bad.i don't even remember how i reacted to the brock thing. at that point he had let jane die and done so much already that i don't think it shocked me that much.i do know i will be bummed when it ends though. boardwalk empire has been pretty damn boring so far(esp after watching it right after BB), low winter sun is almost over and prolly getting cancelled. i gave up on ray donovan after 4 or 5 episodes. i guess homeland could be good, but i think season 2 was not nearly as good as season 1.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 am

yourenotevil wrote:yeah, i guess by win i mean get revenge on those who have done him wrong. i don't get the elliot and gretchen hate. because of what they said on tv the last episode? i think you have to say that for good PR. they also offered to pay for his cancer treatment if i remember correctly, so they are not all bad.

We don't know the full back story of what went on, but it's clear that they've used his research to make millions and that he really did a lot of the heavy lifting early on when they were in grad school, etc. It's just not what Walt thinks, but it's by their own admission. Remember that Gretchen was Walt's lab assistant (and lover). Of course, if we find out what really happened as to why Walt left Grey Matter and how he ended up as a high school chemistry teacher and not winning a Nobel Prize or something, I have a feeling it'll be something self-inflicted as he has (as others have said) made a series of poor decisions. I'm also curious about what lab he was working at when they were looking at the house when Skyler was pregnant with Walt Jr. Surely he left GM before starting to date Skyler? The timeline just seems skewed, but I suspect we will find out more on Sunday (I hope so, at least!).

PR or not, it's utterly despicable that they both lied their asses off (like Maggie Lizer; ha ha) on Charlie Rose just to disassociate themselves from Walt's crimes and make them look better. It would be clear even if they'd admit that Walt was instrumental in creating the company (not just giving them a name!) that his drug activities were his own doing! They didn't have to do that and so that's why I despise them now.

I also believe they offered to pay for his cancer treatments mainly out of guilt. Again, we don't know what went on.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:19 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:yeah, i guess by win i mean get revenge on those who have done him wrong. i don't get the elliot and gretchen hate. because of what they said on tv the last episode? i think you have to say that for good PR. they also offered to pay for his cancer treatment if i remember correctly, so they are not all bad.

We don't know the full back story of what went on, but it's clear that they've used his research to make millions and that he really did a lot of the heavy lifting early on when they were in grad school, etc. It's just not what Walt thinks, but it's by their own admission. Remember that Gretchen was Walt's lab assistant (and lover). Of course, if we find out what really happened as to why Walt left Grey Matter and how he ended up as a high school chemistry teacher and not winning a Nobel Prize or something, I have a feeling it'll be something self-inflicted as he has (as others have said) made a series of poor decisions. I'm also curious about what lab he was working at when they were looking at the house when Skyler was pregnant with Walt Jr. Surely he left GM before starting to date Skyler? The timeline just seems skewed, but I suspect we will find out more on Sunday (I hope so, at least!).

PR or not, it's utterly despicable that they both lied their asses off (like Maggie Lizer; ha ha) on Charlie Rose just to disassociate themselves from Walt's crimes and make them look better. It would be clear even if they'd admit that Walt was instrumental in creating the company (not just giving them a name!) that his drug activities were his own doing! They didn't have to do that and so that's why I despise them now.

I also believe they offered to pay for his cancer treatments mainly out of guilt. Again, we don't know what went on.

well, i meant in comparison to anyone else they haven't dealt drugs or poisoned kids, so they are lightweights in my book. i don't know if they'll have time to touch upon all of that in one episode, but it would be interesting.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:28 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

well, i meant in comparison to anyone else they haven't dealt drugs or poisoned kids, so they are lightweights in my book. i don't know if they'll have time to touch upon all of that in one episode, but it would be interesting.

That's what I think as well. I have no idea how they're gonna wrap up all of these loose ends in 55 minutes (the amount of time minus commercials for the 75 minute broadcast). VG did say all of the questions would be answered. However, I do think Elliott and Gretchen are probably not saints even though they may not be criminals.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Hal

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse