The Fags are Back!

The Fags are Back!

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:18 pm

10th anniversary of "Light 'Em Up", I remember Foxton was a fan of this one, maybe some others here besides me:

https://www.timeout.com/detroit/things- ... ight-em-up

New record coming, hope they do more shows 8-)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: The Fags are Back!

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:09 am

Going to see 'em on 10/8
jaybird

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:58 pm

You are lucky Jaybird! :mrgreen:
earthdog70

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:07 pm

So I got a sticker when I ordered the tour edition EP that said their Light 'Em Up record was supposed to come out on Sire in 2006 (It came out on Idol Records). Here's the interesting backstory:

http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/the-f ... id=2185852

:roll:
earthdog70

Postby jaybird » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:07 am

From the other night... I ended up not being able to go out of family/Dad obligations, but Goddamn. Best band ever from Detroit:

jaybird

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Sorry you didn't make the show Jaybird, thanks for posting the clip. Guys-if you like this you should buy something from them via pledgemusic, I think their campaign is only at 25% right now. :idea:
Last edited by earthdog70 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthdog70

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Their name offends me.
FormerLurker

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:33 am

jaybird wrote:Best band ever from Detroit

That's insane. Unless you're gonna tell me the Stooges/MC5/Alice Cooper are from Ann Arbor or something like that.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:10 am

scannest wrote:

That's insane. Unless you're gonna tell me the Stooges/MC5/Alice Cooper are from Ann Arbor or something like that.

I love all those bands, and obviously they have the stature and influence and legacy that a band like the Fags could never hope to attain at this point. But as far as the actual songs go, a song like "Truly, Truly" wins hands down over any entry from any of those bands, IMO. And The Fags have a lot of songs like that.

I'm also pretty biased in that I've known all those dudes for more than 20 years, and John in particular might be the most naturally talented musician and songwriter I've ever known. I remember going to see him when he was 19 and thinking "This kid is the real deal".
jaybird

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:10 am

jaybird wrote:
scannest wrote:

I love all those bands, and obviously they have the stature and influence and legacy that a band like the Fags could never hope to attain at this point. But as far as the actual songs go, a song like "Truly, Truly" wins hands down over any entry from any of those bands, IMO. And The Fags have a lot of songs like that.

I'm also pretty biased in that I've known all those dudes for more than 20 years, and John in particular might be the most naturally talented musician and songwriter I've ever known. I remember going to see him when he was 19 and thinking "This kid is the real deal".

When I was still doing the Gerunds with Cortner, we used to give each other comp cds of stuff we liked that we could use as inspiration/rip off for our own songs. One of the discs I gave him had "High School" by the MC5 on it, which we agreed was the greatest song ever. But I also included a song he hated so much that he thought he might have to break up the Gerunds. It was "Truly, Truly." I still don't understand what he found so objectionable about it. It sounds like cheesy (but still good) mid-80s Cheap Trick.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:35 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
jaybird wrote:
scannest wrote:

When I was still doing the Gerunds with Cortner, we used to give each other comp cds of stuff we liked that we could use as inspiration/rip off for our own songs. One of the discs I gave him had "High School" by the MC5 on it, which we agreed was the greatest song ever. But I also included a song he hated so much that he thought he might have to break up the Gerunds. It was "Truly, Truly." I still don't understand what he found so objectionable about it. It sounds like cheesy (but still good) mid-80s Cheap Trick.

This is basically where I'm coming from - If Cheap Trick was from Detroit, they'd be the best band ever from Detroit. They're not from Detroit, but The Fags are, and they sound like Cheap Trick, so they fill that box for me.
jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Bunch of Fags, that band.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:48 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Bunch of Fags, that band.

jaybird

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Just listened to the digital files for I'm With Her. Very cool. Plus they included the covers they did as part of the pledge campaign that apparently won't be on the CD. Nugent, Maiden, Madonna, Black Flag and The Romantics. Awesome :mrgreen:
earthdog70

Postby jaybird » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:09 am

earthdog70 wrote:Just listened to the digital files for I'm With Her. Very cool. Plus they included the covers they did as part of the pledge campaign that apparently won't be on the CD. Nugent, Maiden, Madonna, Black Flag and The Romantics. Awesome :mrgreen:

I just got the digital files, but I don't see a Black Flag cover in there...
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 am

Anyway, this is pretty uneven, both in production quality and writing. It definitely sounds like it was cobbled together from different sessions, with some of it being way more raw, while other tunes are really polished. As far as songwriting goes, there are a couple of first-rate gems, some meh tunes, and the covers, while kinda fun, aren't really that great. I thought the Madonna tune could have been way more rockin' for sure, as I've long thought it would make a great pop-punk song. The mid-tempo approach just seems to drain all the life out of it. But whatever, better than no new Fags record I guess. Maybe they should have just done a 7" or something.

B-/C+
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Maybe you could send it to me.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:15 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Maybe you could send it to me.

I need to see a +1 on the Pat Dubar thread.
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:01 pm

^ this or gtfo.
SamDBL

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Jaybird-it's only a partial cover of "Rise Above" and it is in the "Thank You" MP3.
earthdog70

Return to daghouse