Messageboards today

Messageboards today

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I know pretty much everyone is on FB now to get the latest info. Are music-based messageboards going the way of the dinosaur?

I was just thinking about this over the past week. Because at the same time I was notified that a board was being taken down (Ian McNabb's-since I was the only one posting :lol:) a new one emerged on Tommy Keene's site.

Thoughts :?:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Messageboards today

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:32 am

Yeah, message boards everywhere are dying. It's a shame too, because I don't like Facebook and Twitter/IG/whatever doesn't give you the same level of interaction and discussion.

Btw, a friend of mine has tried to revive his message board a few times...if anyone is interested in discussing records or music in a broad sense, feel free to check it out:

http://cratedigging.co/
patient_ot

Postby wALLton » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:22 am

Yeah, the NMN board used to be a hive of regular activity, but over the years it's dwindled and then with the announcement of Rob's retirement it became a ghost town. Strangely, just as it was petering out, the admin on the forum asked around to see if people wanted to move the site to Facebook, and the answer was a resounding "NO". Then some fan who didn't even take part on the original forum happened to start a NMN fan page on Facebook after seeing there wasn't one, and it's now more popular than ever. Weird. At a guess I'd say it's likely the Facebook sites capture the "youth" audience a bit more readily than the forums do, hence the increased activity seen.
wALLton

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:00 am

Truth be told, it's the mean spirited snide posters that have taken a lot of the fun out of it.
Chris Shary

Postby scannest » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 am

I disagree. I think messageboards are the perfect place to share snarky, snide comments. I try very, very hard never to make fun of someone on their own FB page. Hell, I try hard to not disagree with people on FB. But on messageboards i feel no compulsion.
They are dying because of social media, plain and simple.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am

Social media def ruined message boards. That said, I've been off FB for a few days now (did a deactivate) and I'm kinda loving it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

This is one of the few forums I participate in. I still like 'em. Sometimes it's hard to start a music topic without trolling on social media
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby danny » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:21 am

i am on two message boards - but don't post a lot in either (this one and a washington caps message board). if you think this one is snarky - the hockey one is downright brutal. there is a politics side that gets awfully ugly. i had to walk away from that before I lost my cool. i come here because it is mostly music focused - and mostly music i dig. and the snarkiness tends to be mostly good natured.

social media probably ate away at some of the boards - but when you look at it, reddit is nothing but a message board and it is thriving.
danny

Postby Welly » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 am

Last edited by Welly on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:That said, I've been off FB for a few days now (did a deactivate) and I'm kinda loving it.

Over a year since deletion for me. Being a nobody has its up side.

I have truly noticed a big difference in my level of anxiety from not having it. It just got to the point where, once I started arguing politics with a childhood neighbors father....I knew I was in too deep and had to jump ship. Most likely keeping it deactivated and if/when I reactivate, I'm keeping the app off my phone.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:03 am

Man, that sounds so pleasant. I love getting 'real-time' show announcements and reading about new movies and records, but so much crap comes with that. I've 'hidden' so many friends who only post about political issues, but still so much bleeds through.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:31 am

scannest wrote:Man, that sounds so pleasant. I love getting 'real-time' show announcements and reading about new movies and records, but so much crap comes with that. I've 'hidden' so many friends who only post about political issues, but still so much bleeds through.

It is. And don't get me wrong, it's my own fault partially. But hey....that's why pencils have erasers...or in this case...a deactivate button lol
gregpolard

Postby seanTM » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:46 pm

danny wrote:i am on two message boards - but don't post a lot in either (this one and a washington caps message board). if you think this one is snarky - the hockey one is downright brutal.

I am very concerned that the Capitals are peaking too early again, just like last year. I hope I'm wrong.
seanTM

Return to daghouse