Random Musings on Teenage Fanclub

Random Musings on Teenage Fanclub

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:33 am

Shadows is their finest record.
Sparky's Dream is their best song.
Most of their records are very good.
The new record is awful.
Their live shows are dull and would be greatly improved if they played more Gerry songs, less Norman songs, and no Raymond songs.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: Random Musings on Teenage Fanclub

Postby scannest » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:20 pm

I've only ever paid close attention to the first two records, both of which I like very much (I'm not counting "The King"). I also dig "Songs from Northern Britain" which contains what is probably my favorite TFC song (see below).
I saw them on their first US tour and they were one of the loudest bands I've ever seen, to this day. Which is funny given where they've wound up, musically.
I also think the new record is very, very dull.

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:55 am

scannest wrote:I've only ever paid close attention to the first two records, both of which I like very much (I'm not counting "The King"). I also dig "Songs from Northern Britain" which contains what is probably my favorite TFC song (see below).
I saw them on their first US tour and they were one of the loudest bands I've ever seen, to this day. Which is funny given where they've wound up, musically.
I also think the new record is very, very dull.

I've always liked you, Scanny.

Incidentally, I saw them last month and they were't loud at all.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:06 pm

YO! I thought maybe I was missing something re: the new album. I listened once and it didn't grab me at all. The completest in me will still probably eventually buy the vinyl, but I dunno....I was super stoked on Shadows

Personally, I'm with you scanny in that the early, noisier stuff is my favorite. I love the band, but so far, this is my least favorite of their proper releases.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:42 am

I bought the vinyl version of Here. I like it, but it's yet to fully grab me like Shadows (which I absolutely love) did. You're close, Hunter, but I think Songs from Northern Britain is their best album. Shadows is easily their best since then, though. I saw them last month and they weren't loud here, either. They were great, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse