Sloan

Sloan

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:18 pm

I've been listening to them a lot lately. Somehow I'd always glossed over this band. Their A-Sides Win collection (1992 - 2005) is really terrific.

Why was I not notified earlier. (Insert stupid wisecrack here...)

xxxMidgexxx

Re: Sloan

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:59 pm

I've been following them religiously for 20 years. All their records are good-to-great, but my favorites are TWICE REMOVED, THE DOUBLE CROSS and NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm thinking that 500 Up' is my favorite song from them right now.

I would love to play in a indie/power pop band, but it would have to be a band like Sloan whose output is very discerning. From what I'm hearing from their stuff, yes..their music (singles at least) are good to great. More than half of what I'm listening to seems to be on the great side.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby wALLton » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:15 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Why was I not notified earlier.

I don't think they tour a heck of a lot outside of Canada and definitely never outside of North America which is why they might've slipped under your radar. They've received quite a bit of pop radio play in Canada over the years, I remember Underwhelmed being played a tonne back in the day which probably kickstarted their popularity up north. They still tour occasionally, though not sure if they've put anything new out in a while. I remember their hardcore covers comp was a fun surprise release, not realising they had been influenced by those bands.
wALLton

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:07 am

I've lived in NYC or Philly my entire life and I've seen Sloan at least 25 (maybe 30) times over the past 20 years. They've averaged a new album every 2 years since 1992. That said, they have never had anything close to a commercial hit in the U.S. They have scored five Top 40s (three of them Top 10) in Canada, however.
scannest

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:39 pm

They're still around?
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby Lee TX » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:36 am

I have not posted here for so long that I forgot my logon, but felt the need to share a Sloan story. They are one of my all time favorite bands. They did just do some dates up & down the West and East coast, but I did not have a chance to see them this time around. About 3 years ago, we flew up to NC to see them play. We got to the club way early & ended up talking with the drummer outside their bus. I asked if they would play anything off their Hardcore 7" release, but he said they never played those songs live. So then I requested that they play Descendents "Catalina". Turns out it was his birthday that night, and he thought that song might be a good idea. During their encore, they called out my wife & I & played the song. Awesome show.
Lee TX

Postby scannest » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:48 am

Lee TX wrote:So then I requested that they play Descendents "Catalina". Turns out it was his birthday that night, and he thought that song might be a good idea. During their encore, they called out my wife & I & played the song. Awesome show.

They played it in Philly a few years back and Milo came out to sing it with them. It's funny how that song has become the new Descendents closer nowt that they have dropped 'Loser'.
scannest

Return to daghouse