Kinda Sorta JAWBOX Reunion this Evening

Kinda Sorta JAWBOX Reunion this Evening

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:35 am

J Robbins is playing solo acoustic at Saint Vitus tonight, then joins the band DARIA on guitar. J has played with them before in Europe and they have done a few JAWBOX songs at all their shows.
Rumor is that Zach Barocas will be behind the kit for those songs tonight. Again, just a rumor. I was going regardless but I thought I'd pass it along.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Kinda Sorta JAWBOX Reunion this Evening

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:28 am

For the sixty some people who looked at this - they played Desert Sea and Savory. Mirrorfull and Cut off were also on the setlist, but J made in clear they were only going to play two. I suspect a) he didn't want to step too much on Daria's toes (they only played 7 of their own songs) and b) Zach was more comfortable with those two and than the other ones.
Still, a great night.
scannest

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:28 pm

Cool Scannest-must have been cool to see. Although I am holding out for a reunion of the original 3 piece version of Jawbox (since that is the only one I saw live :( ) C'mon Adam Wade-make it happen :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby kevin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Jay's "solo" band "Jay Robbins" features Pete Moffett on drums. Jay covers a few Jawbox songs when they play live. And Pete Moffett is technically the first drummer for Jawbox (he played on the first demo), so I guess anyone that is lucky to see them, sorta saw a Jawbox reunion. Although I really think without Kim, it isn't Jawbox. I felt like she was glue that kept that band together. She was the great communicator and always played with a smile.

I haven't talked much about the last few months of John's life. Losing John was very tough on me. I was asked before his memorial to speak at his memorial and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wanted that evening to be uplifting and a celebration. I knew I would be crying as soon as a spoke so I chose not to that evening. But talking about Pete reminded me about one afternoon I spent with John when he was in the hospital. That particular afternoon, Pete walked in the room and joined John and I. We each sat on one side of John - John was the cream to our cookie! We told stories to John about John and laughed and joked around. Pete brought John a big teddy bear for John to snuggle up with! Pete is a fantastic human - an all around great guy. If you never got to see Pete play the drums, I recommend you do it. He plays with an intensity that is so entertaining to watch. I miss John a lot. I am thankful for all the time I got to spend with him when he was healthy and I was so fortunate to see him several times while he was in the hospital and when he was in the hospice center. :(
Last edited by kevin on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevin

Postby the mean » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:54 pm

I took my 8 year old to see J. this summer, and he and the band were great. I still have a soft spot for the first Jawbox LP, which he doesn't seem to like and didn't play any songs from. But great set, nonetheless.
the mean

Postby kevin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:02 pm

the mean wrote:I took my 8 year old to see J. this summer, and he and the band were great. I still have a soft spot for the first Jawbox LP, which he doesn't seem to like and didn't play any songs from. But great set, nonetheless.

Savory is typically in the rotation. Not sure they covered it when you saw them
kevin

Postby the mean » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 pm

kevin wrote:
the mean wrote:I took my 8 year old to see J. this summer, and he and the band were great. I still have a soft spot for the first Jawbox LP, which he doesn't seem to like and didn't play any songs from. But great set, nonetheless.

Savory is typically in the rotation. Not sure they covered it when you saw them

They definitely did. Not from the first LP, though. But probably their best song.
the mean

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Related to all this Pete Moffett talk - I saw his band Second Letter opened for Red Hare just a couple days before J came through town (same club, too). They were very good but very far removed from what anyone would call punk rock. More indie rock with an almost americana vibe on occasion. Pete was, as always, a monster behind the kit.
Nice to have you back, Kevin.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 am

Unpopular Jawbox opinion: Zach Barocas ruined Jawbox.

Now - don't get me wrong - Zach is an unbelievable drummer. His skills and technique and sense of rhythm are just extraordinary and I loved watching him play (the first time I saw Jawbox was very shortly after he had joined the band).

But after he joined the band, I almost feel like the band wrote songs wrapped around his drumming, rather than writing songs for which the drummer should then compliment. This made the band more "funky", more rhythmic, maybe even more "interesting".....but the songs just weren't as good or as memorable.

There are certainly great songs in the Zach era, but, for my money, the first EP, Grippe & Novelty are all far better than anything that came after.
captain2man

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:04 pm

captain2man wrote:I almost feel like the band wrote songs wrapped around his drumming, rather than writing songs for which the drummer should then compliment.

A totally fair assessment. I happen to like those songs A LOT, but I can't argue with your statement.
scannest

Postby the mean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:42 pm

I prefer Adam Wade's drumming in the band as well. I wouldn't go as far as saying Zach "ruined" the band, though. I feel the same way about "Novelty" as a I feel about the later LPs - a couple great songs and lots of mediocrity.
the mean

Return to daghouse