Land Speed Record 35th Anniversary

Land Speed Record 35th Anniversary

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:32 pm

"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Land Speed Record 35th Anniversary

Postby Knutsen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Seriously, my favourite hardcore record. Has the sound of a derailing freight train, but also the melodies.
I love this! I was so happy when somebody uploaded some Hüsker Dü video from that time to youtube some years ago.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby BAIN » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:50 am

IMO, I think this record spawned/influenced great hardcore vocalist.

when Data Control hits at 3:42, it is some of the best music/vocals I remember hearing at a young age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Te6eZmFTtM
BAIN

Postby MXV » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:12 am

My love for Land Speed Record is very strong. I can still vividly remember where I bought it when I was a teenager and how excited I was when I saw it in the store. For some reason "Data Control" always triggers a memory I have of shoveling snow off the driveway the winter I purchased that record because I was listening the album on my walkman while shoveling.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Knutsen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 am

Haha, Data Control (perforated feedout) when computers were really dangerous!
:lol:
1984 was close, but nothing compared to today.
Knutsen

Postby captain2man » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 am

It is a tribute to Husker Du's greatness that trying to order their records from best to worst can be a chore & a subject of a debate that can last for hours through the night.

As much as I also love it, it's hard not to rank Land Speed Record at the bottom of the pile....but there it must rest for me. But even the worst of the Husker records are still worthy of repeated listens, again, a tribute to the greatness of one of the greatest bands to ever have existed.

It's one of those records that's a shock upon first listen, especially if you've already heard the more obvious records....it's a live blur of...well....."speed".....but the more you listen to it, the more you hear the foundations and the melody. "Don't Try to Call" was always my favorite from this record.

Listening to LSR and Warehouse back-to-back....it makes no sense that this was the same band.....but it makes perfect sense as you work your way through the catalog. Even more stunning, is that only FIVE YEARS separates the recording of LSR (August 1981) from Warehouse (August 1986).

Let that sink in for a moment.
captain2man

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:47 am

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:40 am

HD are in my top 5 groups of all time and I have to admit, I feel like I really neglect this record. I can't even think of any songs from it. I'm sure it's all a matter too of when you got into them, what album, etc. For me, my first was Candy Apple Grey so then I just worked backwards from there but probably stopped at Everything Falls Apart.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 am

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby Knutsen » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:05 pm

Welly, I love you, but I am too loaded to love you properly!
Thanks! This is absolutely brilliant! Awesome!
Knutsen

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:00 pm

gregpolard wrote:HD are in my top 5 groups of all time and I have to admit, I feel like I really neglect this record. I can't even think of any songs from it. I'm sure it's all a matter too of when you got into them, what album, etc. For me, my first was Candy Apple Grey so then I just worked backwards from there but probably stopped at Everything Falls Apart.

You're not alone. I think I've listened to this record probably less than a dozen times in the 30+ years I've been a fan. Every few years, I think to myself "hey, maybe I should give LSR another chance", and every few years, I remember why I put it back on the shelf and ignored it for another 5 years.
jaybird

Return to daghouse