ALL/Descendents thread (streaming link to new LP inside!)

Re: ALL/Descendents thread

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:49 pm

The Snake wrote:
JGJR wrote:
The Snake wrote:Also, Can´t Say from the Dot single (from the same Percolater session) is one of my favorite ALL songs.

So much this; I still can't understand why it was a B-side on an EP and not another single like "Dot." Percolator would've been a better album had they included it.

That´s what I think too!
The same goes for Crazy, it would be much better if that song is on Allroy´s Revenge instead of Hot Road Lincoln.

I always forget that "Hot Rod Lincoln" and "Carnage" aren't on my vinyl copy of Allroy's Revenge and Greg reminded me of that fact the other day. The version I grew up listening to had those tunes (it was a dub of a friend's tape, I think) but yet when I listen to it now, I don't miss them. I'd be OK with them as a 7" single (those 2 tracks, though).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 pm

CARNAGE should not have been left off of the album, IMO. It's gold, Jerry. Gold!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:CARNAGE should not have been left off of the album, IMO. It's gold, Jerry. Gold!

Oh, I agree. It's a really good tune for sure, but other than "Hot Rod Lincoln," I can't think of anything I'd take off of Revenge.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 am

To me this was always strange, why they didn´t put the same vinyl and CD versions, but I guess it was Ginns decision, because Chemical People records were also lile that. But maybe I´m wrong about this.
Anyway, if they put Crazy on the album it would be much better, but still, Allroys Revenge is my favorite ALL album.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:56 am

The Snake wrote:To me this was always strange, why they didn´t put the same vinyl and CD versions, but I guess it was Ginns decision, because Chemical People records were also lile that. But maybe I´m wrong about this.
Anyway, if they put Crazy on the album it would be much better, but still, Allroys Revenge is my favorite ALL album.

I know that Cruz was distributed by SST, but did Ginn actually run it, too? I always thought it was ALL's own imprint.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 am

The Snake wrote:To me this was always strange, why they didn´t put the same vinyl and CD versions, but I guess it was Ginns decision, because Chemical People records were also lile that. But maybe I´m wrong about this.

In the olden days, it was common for labels to put "bonus tracks" on CDs because: a) they could hold more music than vinyl; b) they were pushing the new format; and c) they wanted people to buy multiple versions of the same album.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:37 am

JGJR wrote:

I know that Cruz was distributed by SST, but did Ginn actually run it, too? I always thought it was ALL's own imprint.

It was Ginn's baby.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

In the olden days, it was common for labels to put "bonus tracks" on CDs because: a) they could hold more music than vinyl; b) they were pushing the new format; and c) they wanted people to buy multiple versions of the same album.

Greg Ginn would've never signed off on such a thing.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:10 pm

JGJR wrote:
The Snake wrote:
JGJR wrote:
The Snake wrote:Also, Can´t Say from the Dot single (from the same Percolater session) is one of my favorite ALL songs.

So much this; I still can't understand why it was a B-side on an EP and not another single like "Dot." Percolator would've been a better album had they included it.

That´s what I think too!
The same goes for Crazy, it would be much better if that song is on Allroy´s Revenge instead of Hot Road Lincoln.

I always forget that "Hot Rod Lincoln" and "Carnage" aren't on my vinyl copy of Allroy's Revenge and Greg reminded me of that fact the other day. The version I grew up listening to had those tunes (it was a dub of a friend's tape, I think) but yet when I listen to it now, I don't miss them. I'd be OK with them as a 7" single (those 2 tracks, though).

I remember ordering the cassette from the band just to get those 2 songs.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm

JGJR wrote:I know that Cruz was distributed by SST, but did Ginn actually run it, too? I always thought it was ALL's own imprint.

Cruz definitely wasn't ALL's "imprint". That would be Owned & Operated Records. Cruz was Ginn/SST related, but I think I remember that the guys who ran Radio Tokyo were involved too?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 am

Pretty sure Cruz was 100% Ginn's label.
jaybird

Postby The Snake » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:59 am

Yeah, Cruz was always 100 % Ginn´s label.
I just remembered that Descendnents - ALL album also has two lesss songs on vinyl and that was released on SST, so I guess that was Ginn´s thing with extra tracks on CD and tape versions.
The Snake

Postby The Snake » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:52 pm

OK, my top ten favorite ALL songs are:

1. Fool
2. She´s My Ex
3. Mary
4. Crazy
5. Nothin´
6. Dot
7. Egg Timer
8. Can´t Say
9. Million Bucks
10. Think The World

What´s yours?
The Snake

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:59 pm

The Snake wrote:OK, my top ten favorite ALL songs are:

1. Fool
2. She´s My Ex
3. Mary
4. Crazy
5. Nothin´
6. Dot
7. Egg Timer
8. Can´t Say
9. Million Bucks
10. Think The World

What´s yours?

1. Postage
2. She's My Ex
3. Right
4. Carnage
5. Don Quixote
6. Original Me
7. Minute
8. Honey Peeps
9. Refrain
10. Stick
jaybird

Postby The Snake » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:11 pm

jaybird wrote:
The Snake wrote:OK, my top ten favorite ALL songs are:

1. Fool
2. She´s My Ex
3. Mary
4. Crazy
5. Nothin´
6. Dot
7. Egg Timer
8. Can´t Say
9. Million Bucks
10. Think The World

What´s yours?

1. Postage
2. She's My Ex
3. Right
4. Carnage
5. Don Quixote
6. Original Me
7. Minute
8. Honey Peeps
9. Refrain
10. Stick

Cool, Carnage almost made it to my list!
The Snake

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:32 pm

In no particular order:

No Traffic
Fool
Crazy
Can't Say
Carnage
Net
Frog
Nothin'
Casual Girl
Wonder
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Chronologically, it is:

I Hate to Love
    She's My Ex
    Mary
    No Traffic
    Prison
    Explorador
    Dot
    Breathe
    Guilty
    Until I Say So
scannest

Postby The Snake » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:51 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:In no particular order:

No Traffic
Fool
Crazy
Can't Say
Carnage
Net
Frog
Nothin'
Casual Girl
Wonder

Oh yeah, TonyALL - Casual Girl is great, I love some more songs from that album!
The Snake

Postby 77clash » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:38 pm

I found this in a box today when I was unpacking. It was from October 21, 1989.

77clash

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:53 pm

forget Kings Road, get your ALL merch at........

http://www.sears.com/all-men-s-allroy-b ... ECNMPCLO08

SEARS!
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby norix » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:00 am

Ok, I just joined this site since it's the only place I've seen on the internet where people have listened to more than MGTC from Descendents and actually kind off discuss these band. So hey, this is my first post.

So, I noticed peoples tastes in ALL here are quite different than mine. I like the Chad Price stuff more than the Dave/Scott stuff.

I guess it's because I'm an idiot and just joined a message board about a band I don't quite know :p.

My fav ALL track is "Never Took", "Teresa" and "Mary" as runner-ups (at this moment in time, I just recently re-discovered the musical wonder "Mary" is).

I think my fav Dents song is "Hope". I've been on a serious Chad-All spree, so I'd probably pick the wrong ones for runner ups. Although I really like "I'm the One" and "Catalina".

Never seen any of the two live, really sad cus I had a chance last year at Groez (live in Belgium). Would give a lot of money to see all iterations on one day.

What amazes me in Descendents are the basslines: both bass-players are highly creative and don't fall into the boring root-note pit. Karl plays some completely mental stuff in their late 90´s stuff.

Last topic I want to address in my post: I was extremely lucky in discovering this band. I was a bit into Green Day and basically the Tony Hawk game soundtracks (the later ones, apparently there is some descendents/ALL on one of the first ones): never heard of em. Read a magazine that has a huge part credited to music: never heard of em. I heard of em the first time when I swapped a Bad Religion cd I won for being the most "discusive" person in class at the end of high school for a fat wreck chords compilation album. Then the ball got rolling I guess.

What I wanna say is, I don't think there are a lot of young fans. Or how is the age distribution at the Dents/ALL shows?

EDIT:I always forget just how plain perfect Live Plus One is. I really like the more whimisical Scott lyrics on some stuff and I really like Chad's voice. PLus, there's really well recorded Milo as well.
norix

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:04 pm

Welcome aboard NORIX. DESCENDENTS in particular have fans in their teens to dudes in their 50's. It really spans a big big gap. Tons of young fans (way more so than a lot of older punk bands for sure). ALL tend to have older fans but DESCENDENTS really seem to be a evergreen band. Let's face it, when you're a teen you thin all their songs were written specifically for you. It's a cool deal.
Chris Shary

Postby norix » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Seeing that you're very probably the actual illustrator of the Descendents/ALL cd covers/merch and not someone who stole his name (well, I think so, since you talked about chilling with Milo earlier in the thread), thanks for the nice cover art on problematic and sharing some of year stories.

Without trying to sound like a whiny fan: are they actually still working on a Descedents/ALL/combination/whatever album or has that idea been put down? Since they aren't that active at social media I actually have no clue.

Assuming you are the artist, what other covers have you made, outside of Problematic? It's the only one where you are credited on wikipedia: my only source for these things (since I don't own any physical music of either band: seriously, in every shop that sells the miniscule amount of cd's I check if they don"t have Descendents or ALL, guess I'll have to order something).

Last point: if you just compare lyrics, ALL songs often give me a feeling off trying to settle down but failing, whilst Descendents gives me more of a rebellious teenage phase kind of feeling. So I guess your observation isn't that strange.
norix

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Yep I am the dude that does the drawings. It's for real. I use my own name because, well, why not? Thanks very much for the compliments.
I do TONS of art, too much to name it all, but you can google my stuff (there's a lot out there).
Yes the band is indeed recording a new DESCENDENTS album. The plan is to get the recording part done by mid October, with hopefully a late release this year or early next year. It's happening.
As far as the ALL stuff that has been discussed, it's way on the back burner.
Things are gonna get really fun next year!
Chris Shary

Postby norix » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks for the news. There's a record store in my university town, so I guess I can probably pre-order it there when there's more info.

And albums imply tours...
norix

Postby The Snake » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:08 am

Welcome aboard norix!
It's cool to see some younger fans of Descendnets and ALL and it seems that you are passionate about both bands, nice.
As for finding some Descendnets/ALL records, I suggest you to look in some second hand vinyl shops if there is no regular record shop in your town. You'd be surprised what you can find in second hand shops, you just have to dig.
The Snake

Postby norix » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:54 pm

The Snake wrote:Welcome aboard norix!
It's cool to see some younger fans of Descendnets and ALL and it seems that you are passionate about both bands, nice.
As for finding some Descendnets/ALL records, I suggest you to look in some second hand vinyl shops if there is no regular record shop in your town. You'd be surprised what you can find in second hand shops, you just have to dig.

Yeah, I"ll do that.

I really want to learn a couple of Descendents/ALL tunes on my bass but it's still laying in my dorm :( When my redo's are done I'm gonna learn Teresa and practice 'I'm the one' a bit more. Most fun tunes to play?
norix

Postby The Snake » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:03 pm

With my old band we covered bunch of Descendents songs and the interested thing is that we had no guitar in the line up, bass, drums and vocals only. A friend who was playing bass was excellent bass player so it didn´t sound weird to hear a Descendents cover without a guitar, especially Parents tune, haha.
The Snake

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Kings Road which is the official merch center for the DENTS and ALL has some vinyl available.

http://kingsroadmerch.com/descendents/?id=833

http://kingsroadmerch.com/all/?id=854
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby lewdd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:39 pm

SST has vinyl for sale for both bands too for $15 each.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 pm

I don't buy CD's anymore ever, especially since I got rid of all of mine. But...I just bought the Greatest Hits ALL CD for $5 on Kingsroad cause I want the liner notes, etc. What an awesome collection. I still listen to the mp3s I got thanks to this very thread, weekly.
gregpolard

Postby norix » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:57 am

With my old band we covered bunch of Descendents songs and the interested thing is that we had no guitar in the line up, bass, drums and vocals only. A friend who was playing bass was excellent bass player so it didn´t sound weird to hear a Descendents cover without a guitar, especially Parents tune, haha.

Yup. One of the few bands where the bass parts is more important than the guitar parts (in a lot of songs).
norix

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Going NUTS that there going to be a new ALL watch on sale (of course done by Chris). Man, I hate the limited run on these things, but I want one!
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Wretch, I MAY be getting a few for Big Cartell. If I do, I will surly let you know. If you are serious about wanting one, set the money to the side. It'll be gone FAST. DESCENDENTS one went in under 20 minutes.
In related news, the album is coming along well. Bill was doing backing vocals with Karl the other day.
Chris Shary

Postby lewdd » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:57 pm

i need one to go with my descendents watch, and also need a shary drawing for my wall
lewdd

Postby wALLton » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:12 am

WrEtcH wrote:Going NUTS that there going to be a new ALL watch on sale (of course done by Chris). Man, I hate the limited run on these things, but I want one!

Yeah, will be warming up the trigger finger for this one. Never sure how popular an ALL watch is going to be vs. a hand drawn Descendents watch, but fingers crossed I manage to bag myself one. ALL-ROY!
wALLton

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:05 am

Where is the info on this ALL watch?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:21 am

Any pics to see what it's going to look like??
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:58 am

tfw your favorite band is now a toy company.
jaybird

Postby wALLton » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:47 am

jaybird wrote:tfw your favorite band is now a toy company.

Watches aren't toys! ;)

As for a pic, all that's been released so far (not a picture of the watch) is a teaser ad, here (and on Facebook):

http://www.vannenwatches.com/blogs/news ... tober-16th
wALLton

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 am

Chris Shary wrote:Wretch, I MAY be getting a few for Big Cartell. If I do, I will surly let you know. If you are serious about wanting one, set the money to the side. It'll be gone FAST. DESCENDENTS one went in under 20 minutes.
In related news, the album is coming along well. Bill was doing backing vocals with Karl the other day.

definitely serious. I bought 2 of the DENTS watches. I'm still crying over not getting the Cool To Be You watch. I had a shot on eBay, but lost out.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:36 pm

WrEtcH wrote:I'm still crying over not getting the Cool To Be You watch.

That is quite possibly the saddest sentence ever posted on the Dagboard.
scannest

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:40 am

Hey, I found on the web ALL live 1994 show from Australia (it doesn´t say which town) and it has a song called Queer.
Is that ALL song or a cover? The song sounds really cool and I´m wondering why they didn´t recorded it in the studio?
Anyone knows more about the song?
Here is the link for the said show: https://mega.nz/#!7IMClBhC!e3AriYU7WRWC ... KSZjLz0AdE
The Snake

Postby aquaman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:18 am

Without downloading and listening...it's gotta be Hetero, right?
aquaman

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:41 am

aquaman wrote:Without downloading and listening...it's gotta be Hetero, right?

No, totally different song, that is why I was surprised.
The Snake

Postby norix » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:31 am

The Snake wrote:Hey, I found on the web ALL live 1994 show from Australia (it doesn´t say which town) and it has a song called Queer.
Is that ALL song or a cover? The song sounds really cool and I´m wondering why they didn´t recorded it in the studio?
Here is the link for the said show: https://mega.nz/#!7IMClBhC!e3AriYU7WRWC ... KSZjLz0AdE

I'd want to take a listen but it's password protected.

Probably left it out because they didn't like it/ was too controversial? They already felt conflicted about Hetero IIRC.
norix

Postby The Snake » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:31 pm

norix wrote:
The Snake wrote:Hey, I found on the web ALL live 1994 show from Australia (it doesn´t say which town) and it has a song called Queer.

Probably left it out because they didn't like it/ was too controversial? They already felt conflicted about Hetero IIRC.

password is: destileriasonora

Not sure about the lyrics, but the musically it is a really good ALL song, kind of Breaking Things/Pummel era sounding.
The Snake

Postby The Snake » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:43 pm

Also found this!
ALL - live in studio, 1989.

http://thebigreason.com/music/2013/09/2 ... io-a-1989/
The Snake

Postby norix » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:42 am

The Snake wrote:
norix wrote:

Not sure about the lyrics, but the musically it is a really good ALL song, kind of Breaking Things/Pummel era sounding.

Maybe it's last nights brews still buzzing through my head, but well fuck, the opening of Queer is pretty damn solid. I like this bootleg.

Edit: Stephen missing the intro of Stalker... ouch. Well, the whole song actually.
norix

Postby The Snake » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:11 am

norix wrote:
The Snake wrote:
norix wrote:

Maybe it's last nights brews still buzzing through my head, but well fuck, the opening of Queer is pretty damn solid. I like this bootleg.

Edit: Stephen missing the intro of Stalker... ouch. Well, the whole song actually.

Yeah, it is a pretty cool song (Queer) and a pretty good bootleg with 3 Descendents songs.
The Snake

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse