That metal thread

Re: That metal thread

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:27 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

newest AT THE GATES. didn't blow me away like other efforts, but it was a good track.

I like it fine, but it lacks something I agree. They'll never top 'Slaughter of the Soul' meethinks.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:30 pm

captain2man wrote:As far as Raven, the band put out three of the all-time classic NWOBHM records, but live, I just can't get into it....too much jamming and soloing and wanking off and not enough playing actual songs. I don't think they realize that what might be fun for them to do on stage, becomes boring after awhile to the audience. It was clear - the crowd livened up when they were rocking out their songs, and calmed down to a stand-still status when they were doing the other crap.

Raven were one of my all-time faves. Until I met the bass player.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:50 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
captain2man wrote:As far as Raven, the band put out three of the all-time classic NWOBHM records, but live, I just can't get into it....too much jamming and soloing and wanking off and not enough playing actual songs. I don't think they realize that what might be fun for them to do on stage, becomes boring after awhile to the audience. It was clear - the crowd livened up when they were rocking out their songs, and calmed down to a stand-still status when they were doing the other crap.

Raven were one of my all-time faves. Until I met the bass player.

Please tell us some stories.....

I met him once and he was friendly enough. My guitarist used to work at the wine store he frequented when he used to live on Long Island and they used to shoot the shit for awhile. Never had a bad thing to say about him.
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:14 pm

One of my closest friends was engaged to Joe the drummer and so she leaked the album to me and I loved it. Later she brought me backstage to meet the band ar L'Amours Staten Island and I was gushing to John Gallagher on my fave songs from it. He was pissed. Mark let me sing Crash Bang Wallop on stage. They played it waaaY too fast and I lost my place. Saw them again and stayed away from the bassist.

I all so saw them headline over Metallica and they were actually better at the Roseland ballroom 83'
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:45 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:One of my closest friends was engaged to Joe the drummer and so she leaked the album to me and I loved it. Later she brought me backstage to meet the band ar L'Amours Staten Island and I was gushing to John Gallagher on my fave songs from it. He was pissed. Mark let me sing Crash Bang Wallop on stage. They played it waaaY too fast and I lost my place. Saw them again and stayed away from the bassist.

I all so saw them headline over Metallica and they were actually better at the Roseland ballroom 83'

I was probably at that show.....I definitely saw them at the Staten Island L'Amour....don't specifically recall seeing you (or anyone else) go on stage to sing....but it was quite a few years back at this point. Or maybe they played there more than once?

Didn't sound like John was being TOTALLY unreasonable in being pissed that some stuff leaked....maybe more mad at that than you personally? Ah well. I could sort of empathize with him, but no excuse for being a dick to a fan.

Was the thing at Roseland during the Kill Em All for One tour? Someone was wearing a shirt from that tour at last week's Accept/Raven show. I was 10 years old in 1983, so that was just a bit before my time.
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:56 pm

They did indeed play there twice. I was there both times. John G yelled at me saying "ITS IMPOSSIBLE THAT YOU LIKE THOSE SONGS OR EVEN HEARD THEM ".

Yes I was also at the Kill em All for One show. Anthrax opened with turbin on vocals. They were great
xxxMidgexxx

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:22 am

I've seen ANGEL WITCH and MERCYFUL FATE perform in the 80's. Now I've seen SATAN. fucking awesome!

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:03 am

WrEtcH wrote:I've seen ANGEL WITCH and MERCYFUL FATE perform in the 80's. Now I've seen SATAN. fucking awesome!

going Mon, should be cool. how were magic circle and spellcaster?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:20 am

yourenotevil wrote:

my friends said MAGIC CIRCLE was good. I skipped out on them and part of SLOUGH FEG because I got back from the World Series and I wasn't in the mood at the time to be in sardine can. the venue where the gig was at is pretty small and it gets really hot with all those bodies in one space.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:45 am

WrEtcH wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

my friends said MAGIC CIRCLE was good. I skipped out on them and part of SLOUGH FEG because I got back from the World Series and I wasn't in the mood at the time to be in sardine can. the venue where the gig was at is pretty small and it gets really hot with all those bodies in one space.

is this what the setlist is like? looks like some nights they play this long set or a shorter one. bummed they are not doing pull the trigger though.they must be using local bands on some shows. up here the 2nd to last band is danava(no idea who that is). going to get there early for MC since i guess they go on first.
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:03 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
is this what the setlist is like? looks like some nights they play this long set or a shorter one. bummed they are not doing pull the trigger though.they must be using local bands on some shows. up here the 2nd to last band is danava(no idea who that is). going to get there early for MC since i guess they go on first.

one guy yelled for "Pull The Trigger," Brian Ross said that even though SATAN recorded it, he said that he doesn't perform BLITZKRIEG songs (which it originally was) on a SATAN set list. Ross also clowned one guy that yelled for "Dynamo" since it appeared on a BLIND FURY album.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 am

WrEtcH wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

one guy yelled for "Pull The Trigger," Brian Ross said that even though SATAN recorded it, he said that he doesn't perform BLITZKRIEG songs (which it originally was) on a SATAN set list. Ross also clowned one guy that yelled for "Dynamo" since it appeared on a BLIND FURY album.

i get blind fury,but might as well play pull the trigger since they actually recorded it and everything.
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:43 am

Fuck!!!! St Vitus are playing here tonight (with Orange Goblin) and I'm unlikely to be able to get there in time. At least I anticipated this and didn't waste money on a ticket.
Gary

Postby Welly » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 am

Gary wrote:Fuck!!!! St Vitus are playing here tonight (with Orange Goblin) and I'm unlikely to be able to get there in time. At least I anticipated this and didn't waste money on a ticket.

Doesn't matter how late you are mate. They'll still be on the first song.
Welly

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 am

Last metal show for me was Judas Priest in Lowell, MA about 2 weeks ago. Great show and I picked up the deluxe CD, which is excellent.

Next one coming up is Jake E. Lee's Red Dragon Cartel on 12/7 in RI. I hope he will sign my tour book from 1986 :D
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:56 am

Welly wrote:
Gary wrote:Fuck!!!! St Vitus are playing here tonight (with Orange Goblin) and I'm unlikely to be able to get there in time. At least I anticipated this and didn't waste money on a ticket.

Doesn't matter how late you are mate. They'll still be on the first song.

Badum,Tish!!!!!!
Gary

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:48 pm

satan were awesome, so were magic circle. my only beef is that the local band got the 2nd to last slot and got way more time than MC. they weren't very good. also took 4 hours to see 3 bands play, which def sucks on a weekday/worknight.
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:24 pm

Made it in to see St Vitus after all,and for free too. They were pretty good and seemed stoked to be playing. Venue sucked though,never been in it with a decent crowd before.
Gary

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Gary wrote:Made it in to see St Vitus after all,and for free too. They were pretty good and seemed stoked to be playing. Venue sucked though,never been in it with a decent crowd before.

seen vitus three times. they always bring it. always get a good response from an L.A. home crowd, but pdx showed them some love as well. they looked REALLYYYY fucking old last time though and the show started all late since the door guy said they were all hungover and got to town super late.
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:02 am

my metal week has ended. RAVEN & KING DIAMOND (separate shows) were both great!

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:32 am

I listened to Fire Down Under by Riot on Spotify the other day.

I liked it.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Gary » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:45 am

Great record.
Gary

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:34 pm

There are not many album openers that rock like "Swords & Tequila" :ugeek:
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:34 pm

In other news, I've been listening to 'Stormcrowfleet' by Finland's 'Skepticism'.

What an odd doom band. Heavy.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Gary wrote:Great record.
scannest wrote:I listened to Fire Down Under by Riot on Spotify the other day.

I liked it.

in total agreement RIOT was underrated.

bought the new AT THE GATES last week. Sounds good, but it's definitely no "Slaughter Of The Soul." Still, not a bad welcome back.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:44 am

WrEtcH wrote:
Gary wrote:Great record.

I liked it.

in total agreement RIOT was underrated.

bought the new AT THE GATES last week. Sounds good, but it's definitely no "Slaughter Of The Soul." Still, not a bad welcome back.

riot was great in almost every phase of their career. kind of lost me by the 90s, but they did that style power metal well in their later years.
yourenotevil

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:41 am

I will be getting both of these when they come out:

http://timvv9.blogspot.nl/2014/11/now-a ... ammer.html

8-)
earthdog70

Postby captain2man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:40 am

Riot were a great, great band. Kudos for bringing them up.

In other news - I scored a Napalm Death / Voivod / Exhumed / Iron Reagan ticket today.
captain2man

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:10 pm

captain2man wrote:In other news - I scored a Napalm Death / Voivod / Exhumed / Iron Reagan ticket today.

I need to check in with Midge and see if he wants to go. I think I'd get a kick out of all the bands (I really enjoyed Iron Reagan when they played with Only Crime) and this club is an easy walk from my house. I've been looking for a decent GIG to go see there.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 pm

scannest wrote:
captain2man wrote:In other news - I scored a Napalm Death / Voivod / Exhumed / Iron Reagan ticket today.

I need to check in with Midge and see if he wants to go. I think I'd get a kick out of all the bands (I really enjoyed Iron Reagan when they played with Only Crime) and this club is an easy walk from my house. I've been looking for a decent GIG to go see there.

There are even a couple of more bands on the bill.....the first slot is changing depending on the venue. In New York, it's Ringworm. In some lucky places it's - get this - the Dayglo Abortions! I wish.
captain2man

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:00 pm

captain2man wrote:
scannest wrote:

There are even a couple of more bands on the bill.....the first slot is changing depending on the venue. In New York, it's Ringworm. In some lucky places it's - get this - the Dayglo Abortions! I wish.

i saw ringworm a few weeks ago. they were great. don't think i could sit through that many bands though. def going to this show. only 18 bucks with the fees here.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:40 pm

I liked it.

An old schooly great. Riot live EP is a rocking one too.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Michele » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:38 pm

I have to check them, thanks for the hint.
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:29 pm

saw HOBB'S ANGEL OF DEATH from Australia last night since my friends were their support act. They didn't do anything for me.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:57 am

saw the 'ole lads. they still got it!
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Have I mentioned that I really dig NOISEM?

Ferocious death thrash.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:47 pm

WrEtcH wrote:saw HOBB'S ANGEL OF DEATH from Australia last night since my friends were their support act. They didn't do anything for me.

they played for 5 bucks here last friday. seems like a joke now(or i guess they always kind of were). i skipped it.
yourenotevil

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am

Nice Wretch-I caught the Lowell, MA show. While not as long a set as the Epitaph tour, I still thought it was great :!:

Jake E. Lee on 12/7-Badlands and Ozzy classics :!:
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 am

Yes I'm planning on Napalm- Voivod- exhumed
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:09 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Yes I'm planning on Napalm- Voivod- exhumed

Remind me when it gets closer. I'd like to go.
scannest

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:30 am

Fast Eddie plays with Motorhead on stage:

http://bravewords.com/news/motorhead-pr ... n-december

Philthy just walked on stage for a minute. This is cool but I wish Phil Campbell had just left the stage for one song :bag:
earthdog70

Postby MikeD » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 am

MIDNIGHT is the best Metal Band going right now.

MikeD

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:50 pm

MikeD wrote:MIDNIGHT is the best Metal Band going right now.

I agree. metal album of the year for me this year.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:24 pm

I don't know them, but with titles like that, its gonna be a love affair.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:11 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I don't know them, but with titles like that, its gonna be a love affair.

just think Cronos over ZEKE riffs.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby MikeD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:58 am

WrEtcH wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I don't know them, but with titles like that, its gonna be a love affair.

just think Cronos over ZEKE riffs.

YES!
MikeD

Postby MikeD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00 am

Love this band too... Dude from Rival Mob makes some of the sickest music

MikeD

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Yes it's a bit of a haul but no way am I missing this-what a double bill:

http://www.saxon747.com/en/

It's a Saturday night so total no-brainer. :idea:
earthdog70

Postby Gary » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:39 am

Saw Saxon on friday night,they were pretty good. Only a few tunes I wasn't familiar with. Only real complaint was it was too quiet.

Hell also played with them but I got there too late for them,I have seen them before though,playing a headline set,so I won't complain really.
Gary

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Cool Gary!

Jake E. Lee show got cancelled in RI Sunday due to a venue license issue. Totally bummed. Hopefully he will come back to the Boston area. I need to get my tour program from Ozzy's Ultimate Sin tour 1986 signed :shock:
earthdog70

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse