"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:15 am

Wow.
FormerLurker

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:17 am

I dunno, the Warner Bros catalog is what it is. I don't think they'll do anything special, based on the Candle Apple Grey re-issue from a little while back.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby The Snake » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:18 am

Yeah, that recording always seemed kind of flat.
Some great songs there.
The Snake

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:20 am

The Snake wrote:Yeah, that recording always seemed kind of flat.
Some great songs there.

I remember reading that Bob plugged his guitar into a distortion pedal and then straight into the board - no amp whatsoever. There is no amount of remastering that can change that.
scannest

Postby The Snake » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:23 am

It is interesting how Huskers weren´t satisfied with Spot production on SST records but they didn´t do much better job either.
The Snake

Postby MXV » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:33 am

I will be buying that immediately when it is released. I must maintain Husker Du completion.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:39 am

RSD Black Friday List is pretty grim. Kinda glad though in that there's less stuff I'll haev to worry about not snagging.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:35 pm

I still have my OG copy, which is good enough for me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:RSD Black Friday List is pretty grim. Kinda glad though in that there's less stuff I'll haev to worry about not snagging.

Record Scam Day rubs me wrong--I've never bought anything on RSD, and never ever ever ever will.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:58 pm

version sound wrote:I still have my OG copy, which is good enough for me.

Yup.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:59 pm

obik wrote:
gregpolard wrote:RSD Black Friday List is pretty grim. Kinda glad though in that there's less stuff I'll haev to worry about not snagging.

Record Scam Day rubs me wrong--I've never bought anything on RSD, and never ever ever ever will.

I never personally went on RSD (well, once I went way late in the day and bought a CD, back when I used to buy CDs) but I’ve had a few items picked out for me on the day but never bothered to wait in line.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:59 am

Speaking of RSD, I have been tasked by my wife to get our son the Guardians of the Galaxy S/T on...gulp...cassette.

Ever since we went to see the movie (which we left after an hour because it was too scary and sad) he has been listening to tapes on Marilyn's old Walkman (if you've seen the movie you'll get the connection). I guess he's getting tired of his mom's old Specials/Talking Heads C-90.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 am

scannest wrote:Speaking of RSD, I have been tasked by my wife to get our son the Guardians of the Galaxy S/T on...gulp...cassette.

Ever since we went to see the movie (which we left after an hour because it was too scary and sad) he has been listening to tapes on Marilyn's old Walkman (if you've seen the movie you'll get the connection). I guess he's getting tired of his mom's old Specials/Talking Heads C-90.

Is that coming out on Cassette Day?
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 am

Going to see Grant Hart tomorrow, so I can write you how it was.
The Snake

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am

gregpolard wrote:Is that coming out on Cassette Day?

No, it is part of the upcoming "Black Friday" RSD.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7579

I should state for the record that I love just about every song on the g*ddamn soundtrack, so I don't really have an issue getting it for him.
scannest

Postby Welly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:20 am

scannest wrote:the upcoming "Black Friday" RSD.

That's the plants backed up with shite again then. ;)
Welly

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:12 am

Now that Lewdd has brought me back to the "dark side" (by promising me a turntable), I see a lot of things on RSD Black Friday that I want. Time to start saving! 8-)
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 am

Ditto though I definitely want that Dead Milkmen reissue! Otherwise, pass. I love this album (Warehouse), BTW, but I'll stick with the original. mxv, I wish I had the cash and the space you have to maintain completion since I'm curious how it'll sound. Maybe I'll pick one up if I see it cheap enough or something. Rhino typically but now always does a good job with its vinyl reissues, but I don't think this is too hi-fi of an album anyway as scannest said.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 am

scannest wrote:Speaking of RSD, I have been tasked by my wife to get our son the Guardians of the Galaxy S/T on...gulp...cassette.

Every day I read something like this, I regret getting rid of my most of my cassettes (even those old C-90s similar to those).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:44 am

gregpolard wrote:
obik wrote:

I never personally went on RSD (well, once I went way late in the day and bought a CD, back when I used to buy CDs) but I’ve had a few items picked out for me on the day but never bothered to wait in line.

I went in April and umm, it was fun, but it's like Black Friday in the spring for Record nerds. I don't know if I need to do it again unless there's something next year I'm really clamoring for. I think it'll be easier doing it next month (hopefully) as the store I go to should have copies of what I want, the selection is more limited, et al.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 am

Last night Milo found a cassette of my wife's labeled "EURO DISCO". He put it on and started cracking up. His response was, "Dad, this sounds like the Stars Wars music (i.e. the "cantina" band), but faster and MUCH WORSE." I think he may have a future as a critic.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am

scannest wrote:Last night Milo found a cassette of my wife's labeled "EURO DISCO". He put it on and started cracking up. His response was, "Dad, this sounds like the Stars Wars music (i.e. the "cantina" band), but faster and MUCH WORSE." I think he may have a future as a critic.

Post of the year, quite possibly.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 am

Also, maybe you have more room than I thought, but how do you have room for your cassettes in Manhattan? I've been in a Sty Town apartment and they're not spacious (at least the one I was in 20 years ago). Then again, I had some of mine at my old place in East Harlem.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 pm

JGJR wrote:Also, maybe you have more room than I thought, but how do you have room for your cassettes in Manhattan? I've been in a Sty Town apartment and they're not spacious (at least the one I was in 20 years ago).

Our apartment is roughly 750 square feet. I'd call it a modest 2 bedroom. That said, we have room on a bookshelf for the 40 or so cassettes we've managed to hold on to over the years. The big challenge was getting rid of 1/3 of my CD collection and keeping the rest in boxes sans jewel cases (I bought a ton of plastic sleeves for the discs and booklets). All 1,000 or so CDs now sit on top of my dresser in three 15" x 15" x 6" boxes.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Also, maybe you have more room than I thought, but how do you have room for your cassettes in Manhattan? I've been in a Sty Town apartment and they're not spacious (at least the one I was in 20 years ago).

Our apartment is roughly 750 square feet. I'd call it a modest 2 bedroom. That said, we have room on a bookshelf for the 40 or so cassettes we've managed to hold on to over the years. The big challenge was getting rid of 1/3 of my CD collection and keeping the rest in boxes sans jewel cases (I bought a ton of plastic sleeves for the discs and booklets). All 1,000 or so CDs now sit on top of my dresser in three 15" x 15" x 6" boxes.

That's about as many cassettes as I've kept, though I think at least half of them are interviews that I've done and/or transcribed over the years!

I've thankfully never had to get rid of the jewel cases as I like how they look on the shelves next to each other. I don't know quite how I did that when living (mostly with roommates) in NYC and/or Hoboken for 6 years, but I guess I was lucky in that there was always room for them.
JGJR

Postby Stormy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Love Husker Du, just about everything they did. That said, Warehouse songs is grabage
Stormy

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:39 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Now that Lewdd has brought me back to the "dark side" (by promising me a turntable), I see a lot of things on RSD Black Friday that I want. Time to start saving! 8-)

You may have to drive to PA for some beer and BBQ to pick it up :)
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

Stormy wrote:Love Husker Du, just about everything they did. That said, Warehouse songs is grabage

Oh man. I have to disagree. I dig it. Definitely the better of the two major label LPs too.
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:47 am

Even though Warehouse has some songs I could live without, there are bunch of great songs on the record.
The Snake

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:58 am

As I get older "Warehouse" keeps moving its way up to the top.
FormerLurker

Postby MXV » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:26 am

JGJR wrote:

Ditto though I definitely want that Dead Milkmen reissue! Otherwise, pass. I love this album (Warehouse), BTW, but I'll stick with the original. mxv, I wish I had the cash and the space you have to maintain completion since I'm curious how it'll sound. Maybe I'll pick one up if I see it cheap enough or something. Rhino typically but now always does a good job with its vinyl reissues, but I don't think this is too hi-fi of an album anyway as scannest said.

I'm rapidly running out of both cash and space. Cash especially, I've had to be a lot more selective with my record purchases in the past few years.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 am

gregpolard wrote:
Stormy wrote:Love Husker Du, just about everything they did. That said, Warehouse songs is grabage

Oh man. I have to disagree. I dig it. Definitely the better of the two major label LPs too.

I'm with Greg here. Warehouse isn't their best, but it's HIGHLY underrated and Mould's songs in particular are wonderful. You really think this is garbage, stormy?

JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:52 am

"No Reservations" is one of my favoritest songs ever.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:54 am

FormerLurker wrote:"No Reservations" is one of my favoritest songs ever.

I'm listening to several songs from it now ("Turn It Around" is what's on now). I just listened to "Could You Be the One" before that. When I listen to this album, I sometimes listen to those songs and a few other Mould selections on here over and over again.
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:25 am

I store all my cassettes in IKEA boxes.

FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:01 am

FWIW, Bob Mould Band started playing "Up in the Air" on their most recent tour, which was a pleasant surprise. I think they only other song I've heard them do off that album is "Could You Be the One."
scannest

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:50 pm

They did "Ice Cold Ice" on that Bob Mould & Friends tribute show. Dave Grohl (gasp! :lol: ) handled the Grant Hart backing vocals. Good version, it comes on Palladia if you have that channel. :idea:
earthdog70

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:23 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I'm with Greg here. Warehouse isn't their best...

I don't know about that. I think it's held up better than anything other than maybe Everything Falls Apart.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:54 pm

I like the latter era stuff too.
77clash

Postby tango fistula » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 am

Unless the re-issue corrects the two dimensional tin ear mastering/mix then
I'll just rock my copy...as there are alot of good tunes on it.

As a Huskers record...it IS the most prosaic and least adventurous of the bunch
aside from Land Speed Record.
tango fistula

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 am

tango fistula wrote:Unless the re-issue corrects the two dimensional tin ear mastering/mix then
I'll just rock my copy...as there are alot of good tunes on it.

As a Huskers record...it IS the most prosaic and least adventurous of the bunch
aside from Land Speed Record.

Maybe, but it still contains some of the best songs they ever wrote.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 am

Warehouse has more songs that I like than any other Husker Du release.
lewdd

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:11 am

Is it for sentimental reasons? It has to be, right?
Bill

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:33 pm

These Important Years
Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
Friend, You've Got To Fall
No Reservations
Up In The Air

All better than anything on the SST records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:42 pm

version sound wrote:These Important Years
Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
No Reservations
Up In The Air

That's Mark David Chapman crazy.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:57 pm

obik wrote:
Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
No Reservations
Up In The Air

It's 1000% accurate.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm

version sound wrote:
obik wrote:
Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
No Reservations
Up In The Air

It's 1000% accurate.

Just like Mark David Chapman.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:22 pm

stormy is right. i would say the same thing about candy apple gray though.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby tango fistula » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
No Reservations
Up In The Air

I'd have to disagree....

I count a bakers dozen kickass songs just on Zen Arcade...and to my ears
Warehouse has about 10.
tango fistula

Next

Return to daghouse