That metal thread

That metal thread

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Well, I can't find the other one.

Anyhoo..I'm really liking this band EXHUMED:
These guys are sick and RELAPSE always puts out good music. GORE METAL is where its at, kids.

Midge approves.

xxxMidgexxx

Re: That metal thread

Postby 77clash » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Matt, please lock this thread. It belongs on the Junkyard message board.
77clash

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:01 pm

Eat pung, chubby!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:09 pm

RELAPSE put out that newest Ringworm LP, which rules.

Also, I heard a clip of a new Obituary song from their upcoming Relapse LP. Sounded good.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby 77clash » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:13 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Eat pung, chubby!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I saw that pic of you with the band during the reunion buddy. I think you were wearing a 3X Portis jersey.
77clash

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:44 am

77clash wrote:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I saw that pic of you with the band during the reunion buddy. I think you were wearing a 3X Portis jersey.

Sorry, chubs. I am fabulous and gore metal rules.
Go back to your 2 chord punk rock.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Welly » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:46 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
77clash wrote:

Sorry, chubs. I am fabulous and gore metal rules.
Go back to your 2 chord punk rock.

Two chords. A tell-tale sign of imminent sell out.
Welly

Postby patient_ot » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 am

I like metal when I'm in a certain mood, but newer metal rarely grabs me. I thought the latest Gorguts album was really good. Not as monumental or innovative as Obscura, but damn good.

Stuff like Exhumed where they take the whole early Carcass gore grind thing over the top doesn't really appeal to me. I'd rather just put on Reek of Putrefaction.
patient_ot

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:59 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Well, I can't find the other one.

Anyhoo..I'm really liking this band EXHUMED:
These guys are sick and RELAPSE always puts out good music. GORE METAL is where its at, kids.

I met that guy before :lol: if you like that, try DEKAPITATOR (Matt's other band.)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:56 pm

patient_ot wrote:I like metal when I'm in a certain mood, but newer metal rarely grabs me. I thought the latest Gorguts album was really good. Not as monumental or innovative as Obscura, but damn good.

Stuff like Exhumed where they take the whole early Carcass gore grind thing over the top doesn't really appeal to me. I'd rather just put on Reek of Putrefaction.

yeah, gore metal seems is pretty boring. i guess some of the music is good though. even most of those old carcass lyrics are stupid as hell though.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby dave123 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:RELAPSE put out that newest Ringworm LP, which rules.

Also, I heard a clip of a new Obituary song from their upcoming Relapse LP. Sounded good.

The new Ringworm is excellent. Not the Promise but still awesome.

I can't wait to check out the new Obituary album, should be another ripper. Such a great band.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:29 pm

patient_ot wrote:I like metal when I'm in a certain mood, but newer metal rarely grabs me. I thought the latest Gorguts album was really good. Not as monumental or innovative as Obscura, but damn good.

Reek is stellar, there is no argument there. I have liked what Exhumed I have heard though. I really dig on Mortician as well. What about some Decapitation?
dave123

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:32 pm

I'll be investigating this tomorrow
xxxMidgexxx

Postby dave123 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 am

yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, gore metal seems is pretty boring. i guess some of the music is good though. even most of those old carcass lyrics are stupid as hell though.

It is what it is. These bands are like the musical version of a splatter movie. Every band is trying to out gore/shock the last band. But I still agree with you that the originals are the best.
dave123

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:59 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Would love to hear your thoughts.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:53 am

yourenotevil wrote:most of those old carcass lyrics are stupid as hell though.

WOWZERS!! I was writing my college dissertation on those lyrics. Had no idea that they were stupid.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 am

Next metal show on the docket for me is Judas Priest on 10/14. Not too pumped for Steel Panther as the opener however. :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Gary » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 am

Modern metal production ruins so much of it for me. So many disappointments when a band is described as sounding like some awesome old bands and then on hearing them they just sound so modern.

Saxon and Hell are playing here in december,I'm quite looking forward to that. And the other guitar player in my band plays in a decent band called Dread Sovereign(members of Primordial too) who are playing in a month or so.
Gary

Postby dave123 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Gary wrote:Modern metal production ruins so much of it for me.

I hear you on this. The triggered drum is seriously annoying as well. I saw an Obituary interview where they talk about intentionally not getting into this, which I thought was cool.
dave123

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:25 am

Listening to "Slowly We Rot" now. I kinda forgot how much I enjoy Obituary.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:most of those old carcass lyrics are stupid as hell though.

WOWZERS!! I was writing my college dissertation on those lyrics. Had no idea that they were stupid.

:roll:

seriously, i love carcass but reading those lyric sheets gives me a headache.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:32 pm

gregpolard wrote:Listening to "Slowly We Rot" now. I kinda forgot how much I enjoy Obituary.

wow, at least you are listening to something good. obituary fell off really hard for me, i guess you can chalk that up to releasing the same kind of album many times and going through unstable line ups over the years. i passed on seeing them the last time they came through since they were playing with one guitarist. IMO, all of the florida DM bands became a bad joke-obit, Deicide, Morbid Angel, CC, etc.
yourenotevil

Postby dave123 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:11 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Listening to "Slowly We Rot" now. I kinda forgot how much I enjoy Obituary.

wow, at least you are listening to something good. obituary fell off really hard for me, i guess you can chalk that up to releasing the same kind of album many times and going through unstable line ups over the years. i passed on seeing them the last time they came through since they were playing with one guitarist. IMO, all of the florida DM bands became a bad joke-obit, Deicide, Morbid Angel, CC, etc.

Slowly we Rot is a full on rager of a record. Classic Obituary. I don't agree with Obituary becoming a bad joke. Recently,they haven't done anything as ground breaking as their early records, but they haven't put out anything that would be labelled a joke either.
dave123

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:18 pm

I liked the clip I heard from the new album. It definitely sounds "modern" but still sounds like Obituary. I bought "Xecutioners Return" when it came out and thought it was decent but haven't listened to it in a while. I should revisit. I never heard the one from 2009.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 pm

dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Slowly we Rot is a full on rager of a record. Classic Obituary. I don't agree with Obituary becoming a bad joke. Recently,they haven't done anything as ground breaking as their early records, but they haven't put out anything that would be labelled a joke either.

well, they certainly rehashed those first two albums over and over again. going on tour with one guitarist is pretty bad. they also did the whole kickstarter thing, which is not cool in my book. and, they hired the ultimate scab of floridian death metal, ralph santolla, who got kicked out of deicide for being called a fuck up, by glen benton. i think they kicked him out later due to his well documented battles with drugs and drinking. i listened to that frozen in time album once and that was it, but i still own it. basically, when any band goes out and only plays material off of the early albums, lets fans choose the setlist or plays their "classic" album front to back, they are a joke in my book. obituary are guilty of at least two of the above and deicide and morbid angel did that too.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:25 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

well, they certainly rehashed those first two albums over and over again. going on tour with one guitarist is pretty bad. they also did the whole kickstarter thing, which is not cool in my book. and, they hired the ultimate scab of floridian death metal, ralph santolla, who got kicked out of deicide for being called a fuck up, by glen benton. i think they kicked him out later due to his well documented battles with drugs and drinking. i listened to that frozen in time album once and that was it, but i still own it. basically, when any band goes out and only plays material off of the early albums, lets fans choose the setlist or plays their "classic" album front to back, they are a joke in my book. obituary are guilty of at least two of the above and deicide and morbid angel did that too.

You hate Kickstarter? I had no idea.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:36 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

You hate Kickstarter? I had no idea.

follow me on twitter and you will be less in the dark @therealyourenotevil #everything sucks.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:16 pm

I saw Obituary live a few years ago and every opening band (Krisiun, Goatwhore, Warbringer, and The Bezerker) blew them off the stage.

Xecutioners Return was wasted money for me. They have a lot of great music otherwise though.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby dave123 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:20 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

I guess we have different versions of a joke. They never put out a "load/re-load" or a funk record. They kind of just stayed Obituary. I have no problem with that. Works for Motorhead and Slayer.
dave123

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 pm

dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

I guess we have different versions of a joke. They never put out a "load/re-load" or a funk record. They kind of just stayed Obituary. I have no problem with that. Works for Motorhead and Slayer.

yeah, but that is just playing it safe. i don't like the new metallica, but at least they tried something new(even though i would have been more than happy with two more albums that sounded like and justice). motorhead have stayed the course, but i gave up on them in the early 90s as far as getting their new records go. i mean, do i really need the last 6 motorhead albums?

slayer would be the perfect example of a metal band that became a joke. put out a shitty nu metal record, messed with their vocal effects, did a whole album of covers(and not cool covers like metallica did), haven't put out a good album since 94, play any fest that some monster energy drink sponsors, stabbed lombardo in the back, piss on the memory of jeff every time they play, and worst of all, backtrack on their lyrics. araya should have died, not jeff.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 am

yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, but that is just playing it safe. i don't like the new metallica, but at least they tried something new(even though i would have been more than happy with two more albums that sounded like and justice). motorhead have stayed the course, but i gave up on them in the early 90s as far as getting their new records go. i mean, do i really need the last 6 motorhead albums?

slayer would be the perfect example of a metal band that became a joke. put out a shitty nu metal record, messed with their vocal effects, did a whole album of covers(and not cool covers like metallica did), haven't put out a good album since 94, play any fest that some monster energy drink sponsors, stabbed lombardo in the back, piss on the memory of jeff every time they play, and worst of all, backtrack on their lyrics. araya should have died, not jeff.

Jesus christ, you're angry. LOL
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 am

Saw Raven & Accept last night at Gramercy Theater, NYC.

Man - Mark Tornillo has breathed new life into that band. Three new albums in four years - each of which is stellar. Their set was 50% Tornillo-era and 50% Udo-era. In an age when bands often travel as nostalgia acts and totally ignore their newer records, this was refreshing. The crowd mostly knew the new songs as well which is quite a tribute to their modern era.

As far as Raven, the band put out three of the all-time classic NWOBHM records, but live, I just can't get into it....too much jamming and soloing and wanking off and not enough playing actual songs. I don't think they realize that what might be fun for them to do on stage, becomes boring after awhile to the audience. It was clear - the crowd livened up when they were rocking out their songs, and calmed down to a stand-still status when they were doing the other crap.
captain2man

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks Captain--looking forward to seeing Accept again in 2015 round my neck of the woods.

Megadeth list:

http://sheamagazine.com/mega-mustaine-m ... eth-songs/

Time to debate :D
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 pm

captain2man wrote:Saw Raven & Accept last night at Gramercy Theater, NYC.

Man - Mark Tornillo has breathed new life into that band. Three new albums in four years - each of which is stellar. Their set was 50% Tornillo-era and 50% Udo-era. In an age when bands often travel as nostalgia acts and totally ignore their newer records, this was refreshing. The crowd mostly knew the new songs as well which is quite a tribute to their modern era.

As far as Raven, the band put out three of the all-time classic NWOBHM records, but live, I just can't get into it....too much jamming and soloing and wanking off and not enough playing actual songs. I don't think they realize that what might be fun for them to do on stage, becomes boring after awhile to the audience. It was clear - the crowd livened up when they were rocking out their songs, and calmed down to a stand-still status when they were doing the other crap.

that's funny, the last time I saw RAVEN, they kicked ass. they blew away DIAMOND HEAD (or should I say Tatler Head?) Again, can't wait my last week of October is going to look like this.

Sat - SATAN
Tues - RAVEN
Wed - ADICTS
Fri - KING DIAMOND
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby dave123 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Maybe playing it safe. Maybe they just think Obituary should be a certain way and don't want to mess with it. That could be why the Tardy Brothers have their side project. Maybe they just have a great time playing the classic Obituary style stuff. Who knows what goes on in a Tampa Bay metal dude's head anyways. All I know is that I still get stoked on each new Obituary record.

Slayer seems to have let you down in a big way. I can't believe you don't have as much piss and vinegar for Metallica.
dave123

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:06 am

dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
dave123 wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Maybe playing it safe. Maybe they just think Obituary should be a certain way and don't want to mess with it. That could be why the Tardy Brothers have their side project. Maybe they just have a great time playing the classic Obituary style stuff. Who knows what goes on in a Tampa Bay metal dude's head anyways. All I know is that I still get stoked on each new Obituary record.

Slayer seems to have let you down in a big way. I can't believe you don't have as much piss and vinegar for Metallica.

i think my anger for metallica just peaked at a certain point and died off. it was probably during the napster shit. plus, their decline from the black album to load to now was over a long period of time. i stopped caring about slayer as a current band a long time ago, but the more i read about what lombardo says about them the worse kerry king and araya seem to be. they pretty much act like they are the sole creative force of the band and that jeff and dave were lucky to be along for the ride, which as you know is total bullshit. they have rewritten the history of the band in their image, and i think jeff and dave were as big of a part(if not bigger) than king and araya are. i never liked araya anyway that much as a performer. his bass playing is average and his voice was never great and only got worse over time. when he said that stuff about being catholic and not believing in anything he sang about(and i think he said he was conflicted about their lyrics), that was just a little too much to take. obviously i knew he was not a satanist, but you can't sing about that shit for 30 years and turn around and try to backpedal your way out of it. finally, i just think it is fucked up for them to keep playing in their current form. that's not slayer to me, it's two assholes and two scabs cashing in on a dead guy and a drummer they threw under the bus.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:17 am

I wouldn't go see them now, for sure. I saw them twice with Bostaph and then once in 2010 with Araya/King/Hanneman/Lombardo and that's how I'd like to remember them.
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 am

WrEtcH wrote:

that's funny, the last time I saw RAVEN, they kicked ass. they blew away DIAMOND HEAD (or should I say Tatler Head?) Again, can't wait my last week of October is going to look like this.

Sat - SATAN
Tues - RAVEN
Wed - ADICTS
Fri - KING DIAMOND

I saw Satan back in May in Brooklyin - they were great!

I really enjoyed DIamond Head when I saw them a few months back. No Sean Harris - true - but they guy singing was really good.

Don't get me a wrong - I'm a Raven fan - and when they're actually playing songs, I'm totally into it. They definitely kick a lot of ass. BUT - so much of their set is wasted on "fun & games" and jammy-endless-soloing rather than actual real songs.

After you see them, get back to me and let me know if you see what I mean or if I'm just nuts.
captain2man

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 am

captain2man wrote:
Don't get me a wrong - I'm a Raven fan - and when they're actually playing songs, I'm totally into it. They definitely kick a lot of ass. BUT - so much of their set is wasted on "fun & games" and jammy-endless-soloing rather than actual real songs.

After you see them, get back to me and let me know if you see what I mean or if I'm just nuts.

No, I do know what you're talking about, but maybe when I saw 'em with DIAMOND HEAD, they were opening up and maybe the spent less time doing that. As a headliner, maybe it gives them more time to goof around. I will have to see if that applies.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:21 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I like it a lot. I think its their best material to date. Very overpowering and it reminds of the obvious; Integrity.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:22 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I like it a lot. I think its their best material to date. Very overpowering and it reminds of the obvious; Integrity.

It definitely does. They're so tight live too.
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
captain2man wrote:

No, I do know what you're talking about, but maybe when I saw 'em with DIAMOND HEAD, they were opening up and maybe the spent less time doing that. As a headliner, maybe it gives them more time to goof around. I will have to see if that applies.

Well - like I said - I just saw them in an opening slot for Accept. I purposely arrived in time to see them, and had the same thought - that since they were more limited in time because they were the openers, that they would tighten the ship a bit.

Nope. They played 8 songs (two of which were actually meshed together as a medley).....in the time they were on stage, they easily could have played another 3-4 complete songs.
captain2man

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:42 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

It definitely does. They're so tight live too.

hmm, i don't think it sounds like integrity so much, esp since frank 3 gun is not in the band anymore. i have to be the typical fan and say their demo and first lp is by far the best stuff they ever did. this lp is good, but not as good as justice.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:44 pm

captain2man wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

Sat - SATAN
Tues - RAVEN
Wed - ADICTS
Fri - KING DIAMOND

I saw Satan back in May in Brooklyin - they were great!

I really enjoyed DIamond Head when I saw them a few months back. No Sean Harris - true - but they guy singing was really good.

satan, raven and ringworm are all coming next month. i was really surprised satan is playing here and seattle. in the last 5 years, PDX has become a hotspot for metal bands to play. in 2009 everyone skipped us entirely and maybe played seattle.
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:47 pm

captain2man wrote:Well - like I said - I just saw them in an opening slot for Accept.

my bad dude. I remembered you mentioned that, but I totally forgot. man, that ACCEPT/RAVEN pairing reminds me of an old Kerrang review of the Aardshock Festival with those 2 and VANDENBERG & MERCYFUL FATE also on the bill.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 am

Midge has some very funny RAVEN stories, but I'll leave it up to him to share if he chooses.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:24 pm

scannest wrote:Midge has some very funny RAVEN stories, but I'll leave it up to him to share if he chooses.

Would love to hear. Whatever my issues with them as a live band - those first three records are incredible.

I get the sense that the Gallagher brothers are genuinely good blokes.

John lived on Long Island for a bit and frequented the wine store that my friend used to work at....he always said that he was a genuinely cool guy.
captain2man

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 pm

stuff that came out this year that I think is good is the new VADER, MIDNIGHT, TRIPTYKON, MAYHEM and ENTOMBED. I bought the new SLOUGH FEG and IMPALED NAZARENE that I still need to listen to.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

newest AT THE GATES. didn't blow me away like other efforts, but it was a good track.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Late pass but has anyone been into the Southern Lord recording artist POWER TRIP?

Great stuff.
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse