Official Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - PART TWO

Official Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - PART TWO

Postby pedro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am

Intro from Part One:

Well, it's a little early for me, but my fellow Daghouse Running Dogs have officially started their marathon training, so I give you The Official 2013 Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - MARATHON TALK. In this thread, Hal, NotBaker and myself will be discussing our marathon training. All others, runners and non-runners, are welcome to comment, make a joke or ask questions.

I will be running the NYC Marathon in November, assuming there are no hurricanes to screw everything up again. Hal and Not Baker will be running marathons in New England this fall, but I don't remember which ones.

My official training does not start until July 15th, but I have already been in training mode for a couple of weeks. I have an excel spreadsheet and everything. I am using the same plan I used for my ill-fated NYC Marathon training from 2012, but as I usually do, I will have some modifications.

I started tracking my miles a week and a half ago. Well, I always track my miles, but usually not on my handy dandy spread sheet. At this moment I am 137 days away from the starting line. I have 22 weeks of training on my spreadsheet, starting on June 10th. I have been putting in about 35 miles per week (going back to my Ragnar race in Mid-May) and I expect that will continue until Week 6 (July 15) when my mileage will drop by about 10 miles and then build up to about 52 miles in Week 19.

Today I ran a short run that I call "Run to the Trash Can" it's a 4.21 mile run done at a comfortable pace. I ran this one with my friend, neighbor and running partner, Coast Guard Dan ("CGD"). I have another friend, neighbor and running partner named Dan, who I refer to as Policeman Dan ("PMD"). PMD is a much more accomplished runner than CGD. PMD has run about 10 marathons and just ran his first 50-miler. He is currently training for a full triathlon in July. CGD is contemplating running his first half in September. I'm pretty sure he is in.

Part One here: http://www.daghouse.com/jacopo/viewtopic.php?t=25235

The saga continues, but I'm off today with hills on the docket for tomorrow.
Last edited by pedro on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hello.
pedro

Re: Official 2013 Daghouse Running Dogs Thread - PART TWO

Postby RobMelville » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 am

I can no longer medically run competitively anymore, which is unfortunate. on the plus side, I can still run for fun!
RobMelville

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 am

Sorry to hear, Rob :( Hope everything is ok.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby RobMelville » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:36 am

gregpolard wrote:Sorry to hear, Rob :( Hope everything is ok.

Well, it was my own fault really. It turns out in high school, I tore my IT band but kept running on it. (Dumb, I know, but I didn't want to miss any meets). Because of that it never actually healed right and it caused my right IT band to deteriorate. Ipso facto, no more constant strain.
RobMelville

Postby Hal » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Argh!
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 pm

RobMelville wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Sorry to hear, Rob :( Hope everything is ok.

Well, it was my own fault really. It turns out in high school, I tore my IT band but kept running on it. (Dumb, I know, but I didn't want to miss any meets). Because of that it never actually healed right and it caused my right IT band to deteriorate. Ipso facto, no more constant strain.

Ah, still sucks though!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:36 am

Hill workout today. I ran the hills of my local park for the first time in a couple of months. There is one hill there that is particularly tough, so I concentrated on keeping my legs moving more than any type of speed. It went pretty well.

Today: 6.47
Week: 10.68
Total: 219.54

I'll be Running to the Trash Can tomorrow.
pedro

Postby pedro » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:48 am

Quick run to the trash can. It's kind of nice out there today.

Today: 4.21
Week: 14.89
Total: 223.75
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:37 am

pedro wrote:It's kind of nice out there today.

Soooo nice. It was actually cold in my house when I woke up. OFF! today. Can't wait to run my 12 miles tomorrow early in the cool air.
Hal

Postby pedro » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 am

Another nice day to run. I ran my 6 with the wife of PMD and I introduced her to the Crimson Ghost. For the past couple of weeks there had been construction on the path that has now been completed. They turned a short, steep hill into a longer more gradual hill. I'm alright with that.

Today: 6.11
Week: 21
Total: 229.86
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Woke up at 5:30a to the sound of pouring rain. I thought about climbing back into bed, but decided to move forward. Ran 12 miles in cool, gentle rain. And it was awesome! One of the best runs of the year. Another great week in the books. Looking forward to 13 miles next Friday along the shoreline of Narragansett, RI. VACATION!!!

MON: 3.3
TUE: 6.2
WED: 3.3
FRI: 12.0

WEEK: 24.8 miles
Hal

Postby pedro » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 pm

There were really intense thunderstorms yesterday evening, so I was a little worried about the the mud and puddle factor this morning. Hence, I was surprised that to find pretty clear footing this morning. Humid as heck, but not that hot. I was supposed to do 10 but I just kept going and did slightly more than 12. Since the training began, I am a full 9 miles past my expected total. I have to be careful not to over do it.

Today: 12.17
Week: 33.17
Total: 242.03

Week 7 is in the books.

Week 8 will start Tuesday and end with a very difficult half marathon on Sunday. Hills, hills and more hills.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Week 8 is done. Last week I was able to do all my shorter runs (4/4/7). I did my long run, 15 miles, yesterday. I got out at 6am, and it was cool and cloudy - great running weather. It started to rain around mile 6, which was fine by me. Overall I felt pretty good, which may be part mental, part weather, and part because I paid more attention to nutrition and fuel this week. Heading to Las Vegas :roll: for a few days, where all my running will be on tread mill. Mileage dips a bit this week, with a 13 mile long run.
NotBaker

Postby target » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:42 pm

pedro wrote: I have to be careful not to over do it.

maybe you should wear snowshoes.
target

Postby NotBaker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Hal wrote:Woke up at 5:30a to the sound of pouring rain. I thought about climbing back into bed, but decided to move forward. Ran 12 miles in cool, gentle rain. And it was awesome! One of the best runs of the year. Another great week in the books. Looking forward to 13 miles next Friday along the shoreline of Narragansett, RI. VACATION!!!
WEEK: 24.8 miles

Nice work!
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 am

Catch up time.

Monday: off.
Tuesday: 4.21
Wednesday: 6.47 (hills)
Total: 252.71

Pretty uneventful week so far. I'm supposed to be off tomorrow, but I think I'm going to the beach on Friday so I'll probably run Friday's 6 miles on Thursday. I have Riley's Rumble half marathon on Sunday. The race has tons of hills and not much shade. I haven't checked the weather for Sunday morning yet, so I am praying for cool temperatures.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 am

I ran 6 easy miles this morning. The air temperature was cool, but the air was thick. I could feel the hills from yesterday's run. I really should have ran the easy 6 yesterday, the hills today and been off tomorrow. Sometimes you just don't have control of your schedule.

Thursday: 6.11
Week: 16.79
Total: 258.82

The weather for my half marathon on Sunday should be pretty good. The high for the day is 82, so hopefully at 7 AM it will be in the 60s. A far cry from the last two years when it was in the low 90s at post time.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:56 am

This morning was kind of a disaster. I went running with a different neighbor. He's a really good guy and I really enjoy his company. He isn't really a runner, but he dabbles in it and is running the NYC Urbanathalon this fall so he is looking to train a little bit. We were going to do the Run to The Trash Can, but it didn't turn out that way.

Apparently, he went for a run last night. He was running along and decided to pick up some sushi for his dinner. He ran to the sushi place, waited for his order and ran home carrying his take out. Some where along the way he dropped his keys. We spent the morning retracing his steps, looking for his keys. We actually ran a good 3 miles before the key search took over and really screwed up the running. I was a little frustrated, but looking back it wasn't as bad as it seemed while it was happening. If I run with the neighbor again, I'm going to have to insist on actually running the planned route and looking for keys later. To make maters worse, we didn't find the keys.

Today: 4.38 (it took a long time!)
Week: 21.17
Total: 263.2

Half marathon in the morning. Temps should be reasonable with a possibility of showers. it could be a good day to run!
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Seems like everybody had a strong week! Nice work fellas.

I had a stellar week at the Rhode Island shore. Fun weekday runs on the beach and out to the lighthouse. Low humidity and cool temps prevailed.

MON: 4.2
TUE: 6.0
WED: 3.8

Friday, I awoke at 5:30a to the sound of gentle rain and wind. First rainfall all week. Luckily, it let up before I left the cottage at about 6:15a. Ran my half marathon long run along Ocean Rd, starting at the Point Judith lighthouse and down past Scarborough and Town beach before the turnaround point. Nice cool temps, slight breeze and gentle misting rain throughout. Beautiful scenery and pleasant ocean scents and sounds. Doesn't get much better. Finished 16 seconds slower than my previous half marathon in May. Not bad, considering I wasn't even going for time. Hard to believe that just a year ago 13.1 seemed almost unobtainable...now it's a training run :)

FRI: 13.1 (1:58:43)

WEEK: 27.1
Hal

Postby pedro » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 am

Someday, near the end of your training, maybe the week after your longest training run, the words "only 16 miles" will come out of your mouth. When that happens, you will officially be a running weirdo. And I will congratulate you.

I ran Riley's Rumble half marathon this morning. I have said it before and I will say it again; it's the hardest race that I participate in regularly. Tons of hills. They literally do not stop and the final two miles or so are basically uphill. It's usually really hot and humid. Last year I was stung by a bee. Last year was a freaking disaster. I went out too fast and really screwed myself up for the climb to the finish. I finished in 2:08:something. More than 10 minutes slower than my previous times. I was determined not to make that mistake again.

The first break I caught was glorious weather. Low to mid-60's. The sun was out, but not that intense. I started a little further back in the pack and concentrated on taking it easy. The first couple of miles went pretty well. I was running with a group of runners who were looking to do 9:00 miles. That sounded fine to me. I stuck with them for several miles and felt good through the 6 mile marker. Right after that I was a little concerned about a twinge I felt in my back, but that never materialized into anything. At the 8.5 marker, they give you popiscles. They aren't the kind on the stick, they are the tubes that they have pre-cut. I felt so good that I considered by passing the Popsicle altogether, but the allure was too strong. They were supposedly "runner Popsicles" with potassium, sodium and electrolytes. I gave it a shot, but I didn't really feel an energy boost. Of course, they probably just helped me maintain my energy, so that was a plus.

I felt pretty good as I entered the final climb. I did amazingly well. I never even contemplated stopping or walking. Up I went as I passed runners who had resorted to walking. I finished in 1:54:something (official times not yet posted!) which is a course personal best for me. I was very excited.

Today: 13.1
Week: 34.27
Total: 276.3

Week 8 in the books.

91 days until race day.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am

pedro wrote:Someday, near the end of your training, maybe the week after your longest training run, the words "only 16 miles" will come out of your mouth. When that happens, you will officially be a running weirdo. And I will congratulate you.

:lol:
Hal

Postby Hal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:28 am

pedro wrote:I felt pretty good as I entered the final climb. I did amazingly well. I never even contemplated stopping or walking. Up I went as I passed runners who had resorted to walking. I finished in 1:54:something (official times not yet posted!) which is a course personal best for me. I was very excited.

Congrats! This course sounds much like the one I ran in May. Self-inflicted punishment.
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 am

Hal wrote:Hard to believe that just a year ago 13.1 seemed almost unobtainable...now it's a training run :)

pedro wrote:Someday, near the end of your training, maybe the week after your longest training run, the words "only 16 miles" will come out of your mouth. When that happens, you will officially be a running weirdo. And I will congratulate you.

Ha ha, Hal - I was thinking this exact thing yesterday. I missed a 4 mile run this week, but yesterday was my long run. I had to motivate myself to get out of bed, and got out there a little later than I wanted to, at 7am. However, the weather was still cool and most of my route was shady. I felt really good during my run, and feel good today too. And mentally, running 13.1 was somehow much easier than 15 miles last week. I never would have considered 13.1 miles easy!

OFF! today, and a 17 mile long run next week!
NotBaker

Postby Hal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 am

NotBaker wrote:Ha ha, Hal - I was thinking this exact thing yesterday. I missed a 4 mile run this week, but yesterday was my long run. I had to motivate myself to get out of bed, and got out there a little later than I wanted to, at 7am. However, the weather was still cool and most of my route was shady. I felt really good during my run, and feel good today too. And mentally, running 13.1 was somehow much easier than 15 miles last week. I never would have considered 13.1 miles easy!

OFF! today, and a 17 mile long run next week!

Kudos to you for attacking the Novice 2 plan. I can't believe the miles you are covering! I think I'm back down to 10.0 this week...15.0 next week.
Hal

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 am

A very smooth and easy Run to the Trash Can today. Cool weather made this very nice.

Hills tomorrow.

Week: 4.21
Total: 280.51
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:09 am

What do you guys do for daily stretching...pre and post run? I've been doing the same stretches since I was in highschool. I'm thinking there have probably been some better techniques invented since the late 80's :)
Hal

Postby pedro » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 am

Hal wrote:What do you guys do for daily stretching...pre and post run? I've been doing the same stretches since I was in highschool. I'm thinking there have probably been some better techniques invented since the late 80's :)

I don't have a lot of advice for you here. I'm a terrible stretcher. I do a cursory , standard, quick stretch, but nothing too technical. There is a line of thought that pre-run stretching isn't all that great for you anyway. I don't know if I agree with that and it's definitely not the reason I don't stretch. The reasons are more that I am impatient and I think it's a pain.

I always walk off a run though. A walk in proportion to the run I just completed, at least 4-5 minutes to as many as 20-25.

I ran 6 miles of hills today. Really humid, but not hot. It was almost cool. The sun came out just as my run was ending. I'm a little worried about a small pain in my right leg and hip; the same hip that screwed me two years ago. I have new running shoes coming today and I have a day off tomorrow, so hopefully it won't turn into something big.

Today: 6.47 (hills)
Total: 286.98
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 pm

pedro wrote: I'm a little worried about a small pain in my right leg and hip; the same hip that screwed me two years ago. I have new running shoes coming today and I have a day off tomorrow, so hopefully it won't turn into something big.

Hopefully it's nothing. Coincidently, I also have been having some pain in my right hip since last week. Not sure if it was just an injury from jumping up a curb or something. Praying it just goes away. My cousin had hip surgery a few weeks back. They removed bone spurs and arthritic deposits. He says his distance running days are now behind him. He's only 44. It's freaking me out a little.
Hal

Postby pedro » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 am

Ran with PMD's wife. She struggled a bit today. I ran pretty slowly, which isn't that big a deal and might actually help me in the long run.

Sunny and soupy.

Today: 6.11
Week: 16.79
Total: 293.09

Run to the Trash Can in the morning. I'm doing it with Keys guy again. I'm planning on running, not looking for keys.

At least 12 on Sunday.
Last edited by pedro on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:58 am

It was a rough week. Lots of aches and pains, low motivation. Post-vacation blues. But, I got all my miles in. For the third consecutive week, I did my long run in the pouring rain. It was downright nasty out this morning. Stayed cool though. Tough 10 miles though.

MON: 3.9
TUE: 7.0
WED: 4.3
FRI: 10.1

WEEK: 25.4
Hal

Postby pedro » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 am

Well today didn't go as planned. I met Keys Guy at 6:30 and we set out on our Trek to the Trash Can. Things seemed to be going pretty well when we hit the road. About a mile in, Keys Guy suddenly stopped running and said that his lungs hurt. He said it wasn't uncommon in muggy weather, and it certainly was muggy, and he just needed to walk for a bit. We walked maybe 100 yards when he said he could start running again. Off we went. This pattern continued for the rest of the run. He was very apologetic and wanted me to go without him, but runners don't do that. Leave no one behind, especially if there is a breathing issue.

We finished the run/walk in about an hour. He was again apologetic and I again told him not to worry about it. We walked to our block and he walked in to his house. I turned around and went right back to the trail. I ripped off 4 easy miles in about 37 minutes and came home feeling much better. I passed 300 "official training miles"!

Today: 8.42 (2 x 4.21)
Week: 25.21
Total: 301.51

Running 12 in the morning!
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 pm

pedro wrote:Well today didn't go as planned. I met Keys Guy at 6:30 and we set out on our Trek to the Trash Can. Things seemed to be going pretty well when we hit the road. About a mile in, Keys Guy suddenly stopped running and said that his lungs hurt. He said it wasn't uncommon in muggy weather, and it certainly was muggy, and he just needed to walk for a bit. We walked maybe 100 yards when he said he could start running again. Off we went. This pattern continued for the rest of the run. He was very apologetic and wanted me to go without him, but runners don't do that. Leave no one behind, especially if there is a breathing issue.

We finished the run/walk in about an hour. He was again apologetic and I again told him not to worry about it. We walked to our block and he walked in to his house. I turned around and went right back to the trail. I ripped off 4 easy miles in about 37 minutes and came home feeling much better. I passed 300 "official training miles"!

Today: 8.42 (2 x 4.21)
Week: 25.21
Total: 301.51

Running 12 in the morning!

I just ran 4 miles to atone for all of the Pellegrino and orange soda I'm going to drink at Black Sabbath tonight. It's not especially hot but, man, that humidity!
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 am

Yesterday.....

So I made a huge mistake on Saturday night. We had some friends and their kids over for dinner and general silliness. My wife made a spectacular homemade macaroni and cheese for the occasion. I ate way too much. My friends brought ice cream for dessert. I ate way too much of that as well.

I had to run early on Sunday morning, as we had a full day planned. I was on the trail at 6 AM and I ran my 12 miles and man did I struggled. The amount of dairy I had the night before made me feel like I was running with a cannon ball in my stomach. I knew I was in trouble before I left as I tried to go to the bathroom, but instead I felt like bumping this thread from the old board: LINK HERE. Man it was painful. But I struggled through and I am glad today is on off day.

Yesterday: 12
Last Week: 37.21
Total: 313.51

Week 9 in the books.
83 days to go.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 am

Run to the Trash Can.

First run in the second pair of new shoes. They are ugly, but comfortable. They are so bright right now I considered running through some puddles on purpose. I chose to avoid them.

Total: 317.72

7 miles of hills tomorrow.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 am

pedro wrote: I knew I was in trouble before I left as I tried to go to the bathroom, but instead I felt like bumping this thread from the old board: LINK HERE. Man it was painful.

One of the many reasons I refuse to give up my morning coffee.
Hal

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:28 am

Ran 7+ miles this morning...in the rain. One of my fastest runs ever. Every mile was under 8:45. That is cruising for me. Felt really good. Starting to get nervous about 15 miles on Friday morning.
Hal

Postby NotBaker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:13 am

So this past weekend, I was supposed to run 17 miles. But since I was in the mountains with some friends, that meant hills. I made a valiant effort, but I didn't do all 17. Not sure how close I got -- probably 15 or so, if I had to guess. My plan was to do a longer out-and-back (about 11 miles), and then a shorter one covering some of the same ground. I knew the area where I was running, but had to walk a couple of the bigger hills. Coming back from my first loop, I passed a much faster runner heading in the opposite direction. So it goes. I didn't see him pass me, and I'm not sure if his route looped around, but it had to have. About 1/3 into my second out-and-back he flew past me, from behind. This was about one hill into a series of 3 hills. I decided to throw in the towel there, and cut a few miles off. I pushed myself on the the second, much-shorter "back". Overall I felt pretty good, even though I didn't do the full 17. I went home and ate an awesome omelet and hung out with my friends.

But not to worry, I'm supposed to do an 18-mile long run this week. :lol: I think Hal has the right idea -- what was I thinking with Novice 2?
NotBaker

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 pm

NotBaker wrote:But not to worry, I'm supposed to do an 18-mile long run this week. :lol: I think Hal has the right idea -- what was I thinking with Novice 2?

You are ALL IN brother. Keep up the good work. So you missed a couple of miles...no big deal..you'll be fine. Carry on.
Hal

Postby pedro » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Don't get discouraged, NB. You are definitely in the dog days. When you really think about it you are not too far from your race day. Keep up the good work.

Today I was scheduled for 7 miles of hills. It's really nice out (low 70s with a cool breeze) and I actually wore sleeves*. Well I felt pretty good and I lost myself in my run and ended up running a tick over 8 miles. That includes 4 trips up the big, gravel hill. Felt good and I'm looking forward to a day off tomorrow.

Today: 8.05 (Hills)
Week: 12.26
Total: 325.77

*Is summer over? I'm a little bummed at the possibility.
Hello.
pedro

Postby pedro » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:10 am

This was the first of my marathon pace ("MP") runs. I ran 6 and I ran two of them at a faster pace. Of course, I don't run with a watch so what that pace actually is is anybody's guess. It was a nice crisp run on a nice crisp day.

Today: 6.21
Week: 18.37
Total: 331.88

Tomorrow is a Trash Can Day and I have 13 scheduled for Sunday.
Hello.
pedro

Postby NotBaker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:27 am

So due to lack of time and motivation, I skipped two of my shorter runs this week. Not sure if that was related or unrelated to the problem I ran into during my 18-mile long run yesterday. I was supposed to do 18, and planned to do a route that was at least 16.5. I left around 8am -- it was sunny, but the air was cool and a lot of the route was shady. I felt really good, so right near my turnaround I decided to extend my route, to make it a full 18 (18.2 actually). I bought more water along the way, and generally was feeling pretty good. Most of the route was flat, but there were a couple of long, gradual hills that were equal up/down in both directions. I was doing great, and intentionally slowed myself way down during some of the final uphill stretches. And then right after the final hill, I was about two miles from home, and suddenly felt a pull/pain in my right inner thigh (hamstring?). I think it was the first time I've felt any real pain *while* running, and it was kind of scary. I drank the rest of my water, ate an extra gel, and slowly realized that I wasn't going to puke or collapse. I tried to jog slowly, but my calves started to burn a little, so I gave myself a break and walked a bit. About a mile later I bought a Gatorade and was then able to do a slow jog home for the last mile.

A little disappointing, but I'm still really psyched that I 1) did 18 miles and 2) finished it home with at least a slow run. Celebrated later on with some cold Guinness.

I'm going to make a point to focus more on stretching before my runs, and hopefully I'll be pain-free. Want to make sure I can actually show up at the starting line in October. And I probably really need to figure out some kind of electrolyte drink plan for my 15+ runs. I like the espresso, vanilla, and peanut butter gels, but I'm not sure how they'll taste if I was them down with a lemony/fruity drink. think I'm going to try a Nuun tablet or 50/50 water/gatorade during my next run.

OFF! today, and then I'll be doing some running in Mystic, CT later in the week.
NotBaker

Postby pedro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I fucking hate Ryan Dempster.

Saturday: Ran to the Trash Can with PMD's wife. Lots of deer on the path.

Sunday: This I ran 13 miles in the rain. I was surprised I was the only person at the trail head when I started. It was full when I finished. Nice run.

Saturday: 4.21
Sunday: 13.25
Week: 35.85
Total: 349.34

Week 10 in the books, 77 days to go.

Way to fight through it NB. Take it easy the next couple of runs, as being healthy on marathon day is of prime importance.
Last edited by pedro on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:29 am

Didn't have time to check in before I left on Friday afternoon...3 days of camping in Rhode Island with friends...so, here's last weeks totals...

SUN: 3.8
TUE: 7.6
WED: 3.8

Slept in a bit on Friday (6a...ha!). I was off from work and didn't need to hurry. I had a lot of anxiety about my long run this week. My longest run ever. Not that I doubted that could run 15 miles, but more concerned with my preparations...how much extra water do I need?...how many gels?...what clothing? I stashed a sealed water bottle in the rafters of a small pavilion next to the trail at a mid-point parking lot. Worked out perfectly. Conditions were STELLAR...crisp, cool and clear. I was running by 7a. The sun came shining through around 8a and actually felt amazing. The run was fantastic. No issues, maintained energy and finished with no problems. The final few miles were definitely tough...but, they weren't even close to 'agonizing'. I'm wondering when that will arrive. Slowed my pace up a bit. Averaged a 9:07 mile. Finished 13.1 in 1:59:30..about a minute slower than my last half. Great run, very encouraging.

FRI: 15.1 (2:16:49)

WEEK: 30.4

Injuries and pain. Lots of it the past couple of weeks. Stressed my knee on Thursday climbing a flight of stairs. Thought it might keep me from finishing the 15 miler. It did fine. But, it was sore over the weekend. Back to normal today. Also, stubbed my big toe something fierce on a rock in the dark on Friday night. Ripped up a nice chunk of skin on the front of the toe. Not serious, but painful. Ran this morning. Did fine, but plenty of pain. Moral of the story...I really need to be careful the next month and a half to avoid these little injuries.

TODAY: 4.6
Hal

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 am

Week 11 begins. I ran to the Trash Can. Pretty quick and easy. The thing I will remember the most about this run is the snake that was eating a frog that I saw on the trail. Totally freaked me out.

Total: 353.55

Week ahead: Hills, off, 6 w/3 @ MP, 8K Race, 14.

Hal, it is not unusual for aches and pains at this point of your training and going forward. Just try to differentiate between "aches and pains" and "injuries." If you're running the longest runs of your life you can expect stiffness and aches. Have you tried walking off your runs? A 10 minute walk after a 15 mile run can do wonders. That or more post-run stretching. You and NB are doing great. Keep it up.

Stinks about the toe thing. Just dumb luck I guess.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:59 am

pedro wrote:the snake that was eating a frog that I saw on the trail. Totally freaked me out.

Yes! That is so punk rock.

pedro wrote:Have you tried walking off your runs? A 10 minute walk after a 15 mile run can do wonders. That or more post-run stretching.

I'll give the walking a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

pedro wrote:You and NB are doing great. Keep it up.

Thanks man! Will do.

pedro wrote:Stinks about the toe thing. Just dumb luck I guess.

"Drunk luck" actually :) It's feeling better today. Still gave me pain on my run this morning, but it was fine.
Hal

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:01 am

I stopped in a GNC this morning looking for Gatorade Endurance. No luck, going to have to order online. However, I found out that they sell GU gels and have a deal, buy 3 and get the 4th free. I stocked up for the next few weeks!
Hal

Postby pedro » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:31 am

7.8 miserable miles of hills. I'm looking forward to the day off tomorrow. Ugh.

Today: 7.80 (Hills)
Week: 12.01
Total: 361.35
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:05 am

pedro wrote:I'm looking forward to the day off tomorrow. Ugh.

Me too. I feel pretty beat up from my last 4 runs. I am trying to hit the hills hard on my Mon/Wed runs. The Tuesday runs are so long now, I'm fully gearing up with water belt and gels, and doing flat land on the bike trail. I am spent today.
Hal

Postby pedro » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 am

Pushed the pace this morning. I came upon a guy training for the Marine Corp Marathon and ran with him for about 3 miles. Seemed like a good guy and since he was faster than me, he helped me keep my pace up.
There was a very light sprinkle of rain at the end.

Today: 6.03
Week: 18.04
Total: 367.38

I'm running an 8K race in the morning. I will not be going 100%, but pretty close. It should be another day of pushing it before a slow, long run on Sunday.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:23 am

Long, hard week #11...

MON: 4.6
TUE: 8.0
WED: 4.2

Woke up early at 5a today. Humidity has been heavy the past few days. Wanted to get out extra early. Did the usual morning routine...quick oats w/raisens...half cup of coffee. Still dark when I left the house. Ate a GU gel on the way over with water. Stopped at the mid-point lot to stash my water bottle up in the rafters. Good stretch at my starting point. Geared up...water belt...gels...headed off around 6a. I knew something was off from the start. Did not feel my usual energetic self. By the 8th mile I was starting to struggle a bit. I went though periods of jelly legs, lightheadedness, joint pain and general fatigue. I felt like I was drinking plenty of water, but maybe I wasn't? By the time I reached my water stash at mile 13 I was not in good shape at all. I have a 50 yard walk to the recycle bin where I refill my belt bottles. I did not want to start running again, but I did anyway. The last 3 miles were very tough. I dogged it big time. Went from an average 9:05 mile to a 9:45 mile. Started feeling a little better once I finished, but really didn't feel normal until hours after. I'm chaulking it up to dehydration. It was cool, but I was definitely sweating more than the previous week. Certainly not the awe-inspiring 15-mile run I had last week. Kind of took some of the wind out my sail. I guess every run can't be a good one though. Glad to have completed it. Looking forward to a better week #12.

FRI: 16.1 (2:31:13)

WEEK: 33.1

***UPDATE: I watched the local news this evening. The weather guy kept talking about how 'oppressive' the humidity level had been overnight. 70% humidity to be exact. He said it didn't break until after noon. Now it all makes sense.
Hal

Next

Return to daghouse