your record shop

Re: your record shop

Postby Welly » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:13 am

JGJR wrote:And what members of The Damned were in that band Victimize?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryn_Merrick

Bryn Merrick (born 12 October 1958, in Barry, Glamorgan, South Wales) is a musician who was a member of Cardiff-based punk band Victimize and who later joined The Damned between 1983 and 1989. He recorded the bass for albums Phantasmagoria and Anything. He replaced Paul Gray in 1983, when Paul went to UFO. His first release with The Damned was single "Thanks for the Night" b/w "Nasty".
Now playing with "The Shamones", Ramones tribute and extensively touring the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Jugg

Roman Jugg (born 25 July 1957, Caerphilly, South Wales) is a keyboard player and guitarist. He began his career in the Welsh punk band Victimize in the late 1970s. An acquaintance of Paul Gray, Jugg was originally hired in late 1981, recording various projects for The Damned, Naz Nomad and the Nightmares and David Vanian And The Phantom Chords. Jugg's alias during his Naz gigs was Sphinx Svenson. After Captain Sensible left The Damned in 1984, Jugg moved from keyboards to main guitar and became a full member on the studio albums Phantasmagoria and Anything. After the 1989 breakup of The Damned he continued to work with Dave Vanian and Bryn Merrick, forming The Phantom Chords. A studio album called David Vanian and the Phantom Chords was released in 1995.

Paul Gray (born 1 August 1958, Rochford, Essex, England) was the second, most well known bassist for the Southend-on-Sea teen rockers Eddie and the Hot Rods, scoring several hit singles and albums in the late 1970s, including "Do Anything You Wanna Do". In early 1980, he was recruited to join the punk rock band The Damned to replace Algy Ward on bass... Gray was heavily involved with Community Music Wales for a number of years, a charity aimed at nurturing and helping young bands based in Cardiff, until severe tinnitus and hyperacusis precluded continuation with any musical activities. In 2005 he took up the post of Regional Officer, Wales & Southwest England for the British Musicians Union. He occasionally guests with The Damned on stage when they appear in the Welsh city.
Welly

Postby Welly » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:20 am

Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks, Welly. I'll check that one when I get a chance. I know who Bryn Merrick and Roman Jugg are from being a fan of The Damned for a long time, but I just had no idea they were Welsh or what band they were in before The Damned. The info on Paul Gray is interesting, too. Now I know why he doesn't play with them anymore.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:24 pm

James wrote:I just read they are making a movie about John Armstrong starring Jay Baruchel as the lead role. They were supposed to be filming it already, but it was put on hold because Baruchel is working on the new Robocop (which I didn't know they were remaking, but I'm not surprised these days).

i actually had some hope for the new robocop movie since arronofsky was going to direct it(the wrestler, requiem for a dream), but he backed out. the screenplay has 4 credits so i assume it has been rewritten a bunch of times by professional slashers. they brought on the guy who made the elite squad movies in brazil(which were awesome), but the word is the leaked script sucks and they are making it pg-13.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby akissfan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:21 pm

When I was younger the places to go were Atomic Records & Rushmor Records in Milwaukee as well as Grand Central Records in Kenosha.
akissfan

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:36 am

akissfan wrote:Kenosha.

Have you heard this yet? This is the version on their demo cassette What a Dump.I couldn't get the video to upload for the album version.

JGJR

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:49 am

There were some great record stores in Roma when I was a kid, first Revolver and the mighty Disfunzioni Musicali, then La Bande Bonnot that became Hellnation (https://www.facebook.com/pages/HELLNATION-Store/143426122415136).
I would add nowadays Radiation records (http://www.radiationrecords.net/) that got an impressive amount of great vinyl...
living quite far from Roma and rarely hitting the city, my actual store is every distro/stand active at shows I hit....
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby James » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Michele wrote:There were some great record stores in Roma when I was a kid, first Revolver and the mighty Disfunzioni Musicali, then La Bande Bonnot that became Hellnation (https://www.facebook.com/pages/HELLNATION-Store/143426122415136).
I would add nowadays Radiation records (http://www.radiationrecords.net/) that got an impressive amount of great vinyl...
living quite far from Roma and rarely hitting the city, my actual store is every distro/stand active at shows I hit....

Radiation is great. The dude that runs that store (or at least worked there when I was there) plays in Anti-You, nice guy.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby Michele » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:56 pm

yes, cool guy indeed, btw, anti-you will tour usa again in January and willr elease soon a new record, will post updates asap ;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ANTI-YOU/133850649973199?fref=ts
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Gary » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:35 am

Welly wrote:Simon who put all the gigs on in Newport under the name of Cheap Sweaty Fun.

Top bloke,always buy Artcore from him when he's over here.
Gary

Postby danny » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 am

i had a handful. and they were all so meaningful that i can still have memories of some of the records i bought there.

DC

one of the first places to have punk imports in dc was this shitty place in tenley circle mall on wisconsin ave. i can't remember the name of the place, but it was run by some shady hippy guy...who was actually quite nice. but i bought lot's of great bootlegs there, including magazine, killing joke, the pistols, clash and siouxsie stuff. this would have been around 78/79. he got shut down a few times before he finally had to bail altogether. he was only open off-and-on for about a year. but i still have most of the stuff i scored there. i

London

i was always really partial to the original rough trade in london - i remember "discovering" that on my first trip to london in 78 and completely flipping. it was small, didn't have a lot...but it was like a perfect punk-rock oasis. i remember buying the wire "dot dash" single from them when it came out. i felt the same way about the stalls in kensington market. one was run by a guy in one of my favorite bands (punishment of luxury) so i would hang out there and talk music for hours. bought shit loads from them - and got a cool punilux demo tape as well. i also liked the record and tape exchange on nottinghill gate...though the records were always a bit beat up, you could find some nice things cheaply. i bought loads of ottway and barret singles, lurkers, killing joke and uk subs colored vinyl...all for really cheap. i remember haggling with them for days on the price of the gary numan blue vinyl (gatefold) first lp...they had it up there for 20 pounds...which seemed crazy to me at the time...but i bought it anyway. it meant less to eat for a few days...but i've still got the record with the price tag on it. in the end, i think they gave me a pound or two off because i was in there every single day for two weeks running. i used to see mick jones (clash, not foreigner) in there all the time. usually selling a handful of records, then going to the pub around the corner, the ladbroke arms (formerly known as "the globe" i believe).
danny

Postby AssWreckersInc » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:51 pm

JGJR wrote:When I was growing up in central NJ, it was all about Record Setter, then Cheap Thrills, Vintage, Vinyl, Curmudgeon and Princeton Record Exchange. Only VV and PREX still exist. I haven't been to VV in almost a decade, but still go to PREX somewhat regularly (haven't been in about a year, I think, though).

Fond New Jersey memories for me. When I was a kid living in New Brunswick, my brother and sister would always go to Cheap Thrills, All Ears, and Flamin' Groovies (later became Captain Video and then Music In A Different Kitchen) all in New Brunswick proper. They also went to the Record Setter a lot at their earlier North Brunswick location (in the shopping center by Woolworths/Caldors), which had a big focus on metal records/shirts. Occasionally we'd go into East Brunswick and go to Crazy Eddie's or Prob Records on Route 18, both stores carrying some new wave and punk as well.

When Vintage Vinyl moved to Woodbridge I was there every week, amazing store. Curmudgeon opened up in '94 in Edison, I'd always stop there first before going to VV. Cheaper place with cooler guys running it. Was bummed when they moved to Somerville. Out of all of these stores, Curmudgeon was my favorite. The guys who ran it knew what was going on in the area, and truly cared about it.

As Princeton was harder to get to, I would only get to PREX about 1-2 times a year. Was always a great place to browse but the staff were always real dicks.

I have vague memories of other stores we'd stop into, Rock Dreams in Trenton, Turntable in Willingboro, a few others up in North Jersey (Montclair, Wayne, South Plainfield)
AssWreckersInc

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:41 pm

AssWreckersInc wrote:
JGJR wrote:When I was growing up in central NJ, it was all about Record Setter, then Cheap Thrills, Vintage, Vinyl, Curmudgeon and Princeton Record Exchange. Only VV and PREX still exist. I haven't been to VV in almost a decade, but still go to PREX somewhat regularly (haven't been in about a year, I think, though).

Fond New Jersey memories for me. When I was a kid living in New Brunswick, my brother and sister would always go to Cheap Thrills, All Ears, and Flamin' Groovies (later became Captain Video and then Music In A Different Kitchen) all in New Brunswick proper. They also went to the Record Setter a lot at their earlier North Brunswick location (in the shopping center by Woolworths/Caldors), which had a big focus on metal records/shirts. Occasionally we'd go into East Brunswick and go to Crazy Eddie's or Prob Records on Route 18, both stores carrying some new wave and punk as well.

When Vintage Vinyl moved to Woodbridge I was there every week, amazing store. Curmudgeon opened up in '94 in Edison, I'd always stop there first before going to VV. Cheaper place with cooler guys running it. Was bummed when they moved to Somerville. Out of all of these stores, Curmudgeon was my favorite. The guys who ran it knew what was going on in the area, and truly cared about it.

As Princeton was harder to get to, I would only get to PREX about 1-2 times a year. Was always a great place to browse but the staff were always real dicks.

I have vague memories of other stores we'd stop into, Rock Dreams in Trenton, Turntable in Willingboro, a few others up in North Jersey (Montclair, Wayne, South Plainfield)

Curmudgeon Music (the original one in Edison) is quite possibly my favorite record shop of all time for the same reasons you said. Bill is the best and I still see him around at shows from time to time. You sound about a decade older than me. I didn't move to East Brunswick until 1991 when I was 16 and so by that time Record Setter was still there, but the other places you mentioned were gone. I don't remember All Ears or Flamin' Groovies either. That was before my time, but we were all sad when Ethan (who ran Music in a Different Kitchen and Captain Video; they were connected and in the same shop iirc) passed away in '96.

I also had NO IDEA until reading this that Record Setter was originally in that shopping center in North Brunswick. I briefly worked in that Caldor.

I'll send you a PM. I wonder if we know each other somehow.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:51 pm

San Francisco / Bay Area

back then
San Francisco / Bay Area
The Record Vault, San Francisco - Metal record store that you'd see Steve Harris or Lemmy wear the shirt. Mercyful Fate & Motorhead did instores. Metallica would shop there too.
Record Exchange, Walnut Creek - another metal record store which had a great selection and cool patches.

currently
Mad Monk, Berkeley (Rasputins Recrods) Yeah, Amoeba started in the East Bay, but the owners came outta Rasputins and they still are the best. Recently Rasputins bought a store across the street from Amoeba that's strictly vinyl only called Mad Monk (they have a CD only store too)

Los Angeles
Headline Records, Hollywood - basically mostly for their shirts
Vacation Vinyl - nice staff
Mono Records - I've only been to the Echo Park location, but hey had good used stuff in the bins.
Salzers, Oxnard

Las Vegas
11 St Records

Seattle
Singles Going Steady, Seattle - my last trip to Seattle, I thought Singles Going Steady was a cool place that Jimmy advised me to check out.
Zedd Records

Portland
2nd Ave Records

San Diego
Taang Records - pricey, but loved looking at the shirts and pins they had.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:23 am

WrEtcH wrote: Berkeley (Rasputins Recrods) Yeah, Amoeba started in the East Bay, but the owners came outta Rasputins and they still are the best. Recently Rasputins bought a store across the street from Amoeba that's strictly vinyl only called Mad Monk (they have a CD only store too)

One of my former roommates was a manager at Rasputin's in the late '00s and/or early '10s. You've probably bought stuff from him if you went there during that time.
JGJR

Postby AssWreckersInc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
AssWreckersInc wrote:

Curmudgeon Music (the original one in Edison) is quite possibly my favorite record shop of all time for the same reasons you said. Bill is the best and I still see him around at shows from time to time. You sound about a decade older than me. I didn't move to East Brunswick until 1991 when I was 16 and so by that time Record Setter was still there, but the other places you mentioned were gone. I don't remember All Ears or Flamin' Groovies either. That was before my time, but we were all sad when Ethan (who ran Music in a Different Kitchen and Captain Video; they were connected and in the same shop iirc) passed away in '96.

I also had NO IDEA until reading this that Record Setter was originally in that shopping center in North Brunswick. I briefly worked in that Caldor.

I'll send you a PM. I wonder if we know each other somehow.

Classic, pretty sure I bought a Gang Green and Accused cassette at that Caldor. I worked at the Grand Union overnight for awhile. My boss and guitarist would tape down the announcement microphone and put it next to his boom box. He'd blast all sorts of offensive music while people shopped during the third shift. Matt Pinfield also shopped there too.

Flamin Groovies became Captain Video. Groovies had a strong focus on new wave, punk, alternative. Now sits the Amsterdam Smoke Shop

All Ears is now Varledades La Plebita. All Ears carried all genres.

Crazy Eddie's last I saw was a Citibank which is closed.

Prob Records is now 2 Chicks With Chocolate.

East Brunswick also had Rock n roll heaven in the flea market. Johnny Z who ran Megaforce had that store. Eddie Trunk used to work there and at Cheap Thrills too.
AssWreckersInc

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:52 pm

AssWreckersInc wrote:
East Brunswick also had Rock n roll heaven in the flea market. Johnny Z who ran Megaforce had that store. Eddie Trunk used to work there and at Cheap Thrills too.

I used to buy bootleg t-shirts and the occasional record at that flea market, amongst other things. Now it's a Sam's Club, I think. I wonder if it was the same place if it was still open in the mid '90s?

I knew that Eddie worked for Megaforce, but had no idea he worked for Cheap Thrills. That was definitely before my time. My old friend Ari (from the band Lifetime) and his wife worked there during its last years (including a move to Somerset St from its George St location), but I knew others who did as well like another old friend Brandon Stosuy (who became an editor at Pitchfork).
JGJR

Postby MikeD » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Our Music Center on Staten Island was a big one for me, Midge, JT and Terre all worked there and were hugely influential with early punk rock record buys for me
There were 2 chain type stores in the Mall that actually had pretty good Metal / Punk "Import" stuff in the early / mid 80s as well.. Record Town and Record World I think? Drew?

In NYC it was

Venus, Second Coming, Some Records, Bleeker Bob's , Generation and Reconstruction.. St Marks Sounds too sometimes

In NJ

Vintage Vinyl
PREX
Sound on Sound

I currently love Holdfast in Asbury Park , Armageddon Shop's locations in New England, Vinyl Conflict in the RVA
MikeD

Postby drew » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:52 pm

MikeD wrote:Our Music Center on Staten Island was a big one for me, Midge, JT and Terre all worked there and were hugely influential with early punk rock record buys for me
There were 2 chain type stores in the Mall that actually had pretty good Metal / Punk "Import" stuff in the early / mid 80s as well.. Record Town and Record World I think? Drew?

In NYC it was

Venus, Second Coming, Some Records, Bleeker Bob's , Generation and Reconstruction.. St Marks Sounds too sometimes

In NJ

Vintage Vinyl
PREX
Sound on Sound

I currently love Holdfast in Asbury Park , Armageddon Shop's locations in New England, Vinyl Conflict in the RVA

Music Factory in the Mall had a great import/metal section. Record Town would actually mark down stuff they didn't think would sell. I got my first Iggy/Stooges/VU reocrds there and later some Black Flag, Meatmen & Minutemen
drew

Postby MikeD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:09 pm

MUSIC FACTORY!! That's it... do you remember the sign by the Metal / Punk section? "Keep It Clean Critters" haha
MikeD

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:51 am

I love the shout-outs to Reconstruction and especially Sound on Sound, two of my favorite short-lived stores. I bought so much stuff at the latter. I was just at Holdfast a few weeks ago. Great store.
JGJR

Previous

Return to daghouse