your record shop

your record shop

Postby clash77 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:18 pm

I think we all grew up having that "favorite" shop to buy records/t shirts/ videos etc..I'm sure there might have been a few( like there were for me) Where were those places for you?. For me , here on Long Island ,There were Cut Corners, Uncle Phils,and Slipped disc..As for NYC, Bleeker Bobs, Venus, Generation recs, Midnight recs, Some Recs to name a few..
clash77

Re: your record shop

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:40 pm

When I was growing up in central NJ, it was all about Record Setter, then Cheap Thrills, Vintage, Vinyl, Curmudgeon and Princeton Record Exchange. Only VV and PREX still exist. I haven't been to VV in almost a decade, but still go to PREX somewhat regularly (haven't been in about a year, I think, though).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby BAIN » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:53 pm

NJ

Flipside in Pompton Lakes
Sound Exchange in Wayne
Let it Rock in Montclair (closed)
Pier Platters in Hoboken (closed)
Curmudgein in Somerville (closed)

NYC

Generation Records
Reconstruction Records (closed)

NY

Clockwork Records (brand new, old NYHC dude owns it)
BAIN

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:58 pm

BAIN wrote:NJ

Flipside in Pompton Lakes
Sound Exchange in Wayne
Let it Rock in Montclair (closed)
Pier Platters in Hoboken (closed)
Curmudgein in Somerville (closed)

NYC

Generation Records
Reconstruction Records (closed)

NY

Clockwork Records (brand new, old NYHC dude owns it)

The Curmudgeon I referred to is the original one (Curmudgeon Music) in Edison. The one in Somerville (which I only went to once) was also first called that (they had two locations at one point though at that time I think the other location was on Rt. 206 in Basking Ridge maybe?). It was later called Curmudgeon Records in the last few years of its existence. Bill and Mike are good peeps, though honestly I haven't seen the former in almost 6 years and the latter in much longer.

Where is Clockwork Records? I am intrigued.

I went to Recon once in '93. I think Charles was working. I never did make it to any of the other stores you mentioned, though, except for Generation, which I went to semi-regularly in the early to mid '00s.

Also, I think I asked this on the old board, but do we know each other?
JGJR

Postby clash77 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:40 pm

I always enjoyed going to a record shop, talking music with the people there and checking out the records and demos for the first time.As for the kids today, that type of experience is rare as a result of the internet. Thats another discussion for another day.
clash77

Postby drew » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 pm

All the NYC ones you mentioned, plus the NJ shops. Especially Vintage Vinyl & the New Brunswick one, what was the name?

When I lived in L.A. I went to Aaron's recs & another one downtown. There was also the TAANG! store but it was overpriced.....

I went to a shop in Amsterdam & was pretty blown away. I bought a couple of The Ex albums I've never seen over here & cheap Fall cd's....
There were dozens of live Bootleg Jerry Lee Lewis & Johnny Cash LP's...
drew

Postby clash77 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Cool!! Obviously Im a New Yorker but went to Amoeba Recs in Hollywood when I was there..That was a cool place!!
clash77

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 pm

L.A. had a ton of great shops. green hell was near where i grew up so i was in there all of the time. Aron's records was really good until the last couple of years. i even saw the new bomb turks there. when amoeba came to town, it pretty much killed the store, but the owner also did not really make the changes he needed to stay in competition with them. Amoeba is a cool store and they give their employees a good wage and even some health benefits, but they really killed the smaller stores in los angeles for the most part. they were buying people's private collections a whole year before the store opened, and my friend works there and says they have a warehouse that is bigger than the L.A. location that is completely full. i think the owners even had a spat about opening another L.A. location, but the main guy didn't want to. until vinyl caught on a few years ago, there were almost no record stores in the city.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:22 pm

clash77 wrote:I always enjoyed going to a record shop, talking music with the people there and checking out the records and demos for the first time.As for the kids today, that type of experience is rare as a result of the internet. Thats another discussion for another day.

It depends on where you live, but I think that's too simplistic of a way of looking at it. It seems that though a lot of independent mom and pop shops closed in the early to mid '00s, there has been a huge revival and they are thriving now. It's only in big cities like where I live or college towns, though, but in recent years kids (I mean like teenagers) are into vinyl again and they bypassed CDs entirely. I think this is great. It will always appeal most to music obsessives like us and that's fine with me. The only downside that I can see is how highly-priced new vinyl has become for a variety of factors (probably should be a different thread) and that it's almost like a luxury item now..
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:24 pm

drew wrote:All the NYC ones you mentioned, plus the NJ shops. Especially Vintage Vinyl & the New Brunswick one, what was the name?

You must mean Cheap Thrills, though in the '90s NB also had Music in a Different Kitchen and briefly, a Tunes (a small NJ chain that still has a store in Hoboken a few closer to here in south Jersey) later on. All of those places were gone by the late '90s or early '00s, though. :cry:
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:25 pm

JGJR wrote:
clash77 wrote:I always enjoyed going to a record shop, talking music with the people there and checking out the records and demos for the first time.As for the kids today, that type of experience is rare as a result of the internet. Thats another discussion for another day.

It depends on where you live, but I think that's too simplistic of a way of looking at it. It seems that though a lot of independent mom and pop shops closed in the early to mid '00s, there has been a huge revival and they are thriving now. It's only in big cities like where I live or college towns, though, but in recent years kids (I mean like teenagers) are into vinyl again and they bypassed CDs entirely. I think this is great. It will always appeal most to music obsessives like us and that's fine with me. The only downside that I can see is how highly-priced new vinyl has become for a variety of factors (probably should be a different thread) and that it's almost like a luxury item now..

yeah, it seems like a ton of labels charge 20 bucks or more for a reissue these days(esp anything metal). sst just jacked up black flag record prices too. and in some cases you can find the original pressing of an album for less than the reissue, which seems totally backwards to me.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:26 pm

clash77 wrote:Cool!! Obviously Im a New Yorker but went to Amoeba Recs in Hollywood when I was there..That was a cool place!!

It is, but it's totally overwhelming, as is the SF one in Haight-Ashbury. The Berkeley one is much more manageable, but all 3 are great. I've been to all of them, but haven't been since the mid '00s.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:28 pm

The first record store I ever went to and bought something (Magical Mystery Tour) with my own money was called Popcorn. It was in Swampscott, Massachusetts. It was definitely more of a mainstream record store than the indy shops I would soon discover. I remember buying Elvis Costello's Armed Forces on 8 Track there. I think there is a mattress store there now.

Once I discovered them, some of my favorite shops were the Record Exchange in Salem, Rockit Records (Hi Al !) in Saugus. In town (both Boston & Cambridge) were the original Newbury Comics*, In Your Ear, Planet, Nuggets, Mystery Train, Second Coming, Skippy White's.

When I came to D.C. it was the usual bunch. Smash, Vinyl Ink, Phantasmagoria, Olsson's, Orpheus, and yeah, Tower. I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

*By the way, I know many people who hated what became of Newbury Comics. Sure, they were a lot more corporate and were more interested in selling t-shirts, Ramones lunchboxes, incense and Insane Clown Posse Bobbleheads, but you could still find records there that were difficult to find other places.
Last edited by pedro on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:28 pm

drew wrote:All the NYC ones you mentioned, plus the NJ shops. Especially Vintage Vinyl & the New Brunswick one, what was the name?

When I lived in L.A. I went to Aaron's recs & another one downtown. There was also the TAANG! store but it was overpriced.....

I went to a shop in Amsterdam & was pretty blown away. I bought a couple of The Ex albums I've never seen over here & cheap Fall cd's....
There were dozens of live Bootleg Jerry Lee Lewis & Johnny Cash LP's...

do you remember where it was in amsterdam? i went to a couple of shops, but all i found were like 20 dollar cds from america. i can def say the CZ has no good record stores.

the taang store was hilarious. they would sell copies of how we rock sealed for 50 bucks. there were always gutter punks in the back asleep on a mattress and passed out with all of these malt liquor cans. they used to stock the lost and found cds, so they did serve some purpose before the internet era.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 pm

JGJR wrote:
clash77 wrote:Cool!! Obviously Im a New Yorker but went to Amoeba Recs in Hollywood when I was there..That was a cool place!!

It is, but it's totally overwhelming, as is the SF one in Haight-Ashbury. The Berkeley one is much more manageable, but all 3 are great. I've been to all of them, but haven't been since the mid '00s.

i didn't find the L.A one be so bad. if it is crowded, it is pretty hard to rifle through the bins. i would avoid it on weekends and try to go at like 9pm on a weekday. if you gave it an hour or so, you could usually find some decent used cds and 7 inches. the lps were getting pretty pricey in the last couple of years, though. i didn't go that much my last year in L.A.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

yeah, it seems like a ton of labels charge 20 bucks or more for a reissue these days(esp anything metal). sst just jacked up black flag record prices too. and in some cases you can find the original pressing of an album for less than the reissue, which seems totally backwards to me.

It's not just metal or reissues. It's brand new stuff, too, though of course it varies by label. I commend Dischord for keeping their prices so reasonable, for example.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Record Bar and Mother's were the mall stores with surprisingly good "import" sections, which was really just where they stuck the punk/indie stuff. There was also Tracks and Peaches in Norfolk, which were like Tower-size. There was also Birdland, which is where I bought My War. In the mid-80s Electric Smiles opened, and in the late '80s there was Offbeat where I traded stacks of punk vinyl for indie rock and post-punk CDs. The best record store I ever went to wasn't local to me, though. It was Yesterday & Today in Rockville. I got up there twice in its '80s heyday. I'm not even going to start about Y&T. Simply put, it was Mecca to a harDCore geek like myself.

There are actually five good record stores in DC right now, but I'd trade them all for a trip to Record Bar circa '82/'83.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:

It's not just metal or reissues. It's brand new stuff, too, though of course it varies by label. I commend Dischord for keeping their prices so reasonable, for example.

yeah, that is true, even for punk/hc stuff. some labels keep the prices down though.
yourenotevil

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 pm

version sound wrote:Yesterday & Today in Rockville.

I knew I was forgetting one.
Hello.
pedro

Postby tango fistula » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Heh...!

I grew up in a town of about 50,000...which had one record shop called...

"The Record Shop"

Granted...there were places to buy records (Sears..Thrify ..ect) and my dad fixed coin op machines part time so every month he would come home with a box full of 45's that would normally be tossed out . So I wasn't hurtin for records as a kid. To be fair...those 45's got pretty beat up in a jukebox so tossing most of them was a good idea. Which is what I did...kept the few I liked and had record wars with the rest.

Thats where three or four of you would have a good stack of 100 records next to you when you find the best distance spot on the your familys roof.

Ever just throw one? They fly like a meth addled fruit bat...but WAY faster.
tango fistula

Postby john stabb » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:35 am

"When I came to D.C. it was the usual bunch. Smash, Vinyl Ink, Phantasmagoria, Olsson's, Orpheus, and yeah, Tower. I'm sure I'm forgetting one."

Never forget Yesterday & Today, Joe's Record Paradise (all 4 MD locations) & late 79-early 80's: Backstreet Records. I worked at that "Shrine to Springsteen & Stones" so I'd get first pick at the Punk stuff. That was awesome :!:

Out of the area: Wax Traxx (Chicago), Sounds (NYC) I went in Bleeker Bob's twice but couldn't focus on records with that douchebag owner tearing into his staff. Hated that place. :x , Strawberries & Newbury Comics (Boston), Skinnie's (Norfolk), and recently the 2 awesome record shops in Philly: JGJR :?: Dammnit, I should remember those places ... :oops:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:53 am

I think Skinnies might still be open. One of the owners was a guy named Jeff Clites who was in God's Will and some other early Norfolk hardcore bands. He also put out the Tarantula on my Cock tape comp of Virginia Bands. I used to trade tapes with him in the '80s. He had tons of great stuff. He passed away a while back, unfortunately. His partner was/is...not as nice. I saw him ream more than one customer over the years. He was always fairly nice to me, mainly because I was a Stooges fan.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:55 am

john stabb wrote:"When I came to D.C. it was the usual bunch. Smash, Vinyl Ink, Phantasmagoria, Olsson's, Orpheus, and yeah, Tower. I'm sure I'm forgetting one."

Never forget Yesterday & Today, Joe's Record Paradise (all 4 MD locations) & late 79-early 80's: Backstreet Records. I worked at that "Shrine to Springsteen & Stones" so I'd get first pick at the Punk stuff. That was awesome :!:

Out of the area: Wax Traxx (Chicago), Sounds (NYC) I went in Bleeker Bob's twice but couldn't focus on records with that douchebag owner tearing into his staff. Hated that place. :x , Strawberries & Newbury Comics (Boston), Skinnie's (Norfolk), and recently the 2 awesome record shops in Philly: JGJR :?: Dammnit, I should remember those places ... :oops:

We went to Long in the Tooth together and before that, you were at Repo. LITT is by far my favorite store here in town and my go-to place, but I like Repo quite a bit as well in part because they're the only store (except for maybe Barnes and Noble) around here where you can pick up The Big Takeover!
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 am

pedro wrote:In Your Ear

Hello.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:05 am

World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:16 am

JGJR wrote:We went to Long in the Tooth together and before that, you were at Repo. LITT is by far my favorite store here in town and my go-to place, but I like Repo quite a bit as well in part because they're the only store (except for maybe Barnes and Noble) around here where you can pick up The Big Takeover!

No love for AKA or Tequila Sunrise?

Another great store that I believe is still open is Plan 9 in Richmond.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby BAIN » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 am

BAIN

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:01 am

I live in the suburbs so my go-to shop has always been Siren Records in Doylestown. I love it and have been going there since I was 14. I think in more recent years the selection has vastly improved as well and Blair the owner is an awesome guy and will always go out of his way to special order anything I want.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 am

we had 2 pretty cool punk rock record shops in Berlin, Germany in the 80s which were just a 10min walk away from each other.

Vinyl Boogie more into the UK punk stuff, plus some Rockabilly and Dub stuff, but also with substantial US HC selection.
Screen Records more US HC plus some neo-60s/psychedelic selection.

Anyway when enough money was saved and a fresh oversea delivery arrived we went down there, brought a 6-pack beer into the shop and let the guy play us all the best newest records.
The final sum to pay was mostly rounded down (!) "Its 42,50 Marks, give me 40. want some stickers?"
I once spend a whole afternoon at Screen records and watched how they played Bad Religions brand new SUFFER album and everybody, who came in bought it.
Good times.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Welly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 am

You still in Berlin? You know Albert Luebbing?
Welly

Postby Knutsen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:27 am

Welly wrote:You still in Berlin? You know Albert Luebbing?

Yep, still in Berlin. No, I dont know an Albert Luebbing.
Althought Albert sounds familiar as if I just currently was introduced to someone with this (not common) name.
Any more details?
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby creature » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:28 am

In the early '80s in Hermosa Beach, we had Recycled Records, but had to drive to Long Beach to the mighty Zed's for the majority of our punk purchases.
Those were my two main ones during that era.
Aside from that, we had Music Plus, Wherehouse, Licorice Pizza and several others in the South Bay.
Later, I started going to Aaron's in Hollywood and a few other spots.
creature

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:We went to Long in the Tooth together and before that, you were at Repo. LITT is by far my favorite store here in town and my go-to place, but I like Repo quite a bit as well in part because they're the only store (except for maybe Barnes and Noble) around here where you can pick up The Big Takeover!

No love for AKA or Tequila Sunrise?

Another great store that I believe is still open is Plan 9 in Richmond.

I like AKA, but honestly I rarely go there. They finally, within the last year, moved their vinyl section (formerly in the very back of the quite large space) to the front, but it still seems under-stocked and the used vinyl section is frankly, a joke, at least compared to LITT. If I was still more into CDs, I'd probably shop there more often, though. I had a temp job last for 4 months and it was just a few blocks from there, so I went in there a few times then, but I don't think I've been back in there since.

Tequila Sunrise closed. IThat space is still a record store (different owners) called Borderline. I haven't been in yet, but I hear good things. Anyway, I only went to TS once. It was just OK. The guy working in there was super quiet, the records were way overpriced, etc. I didn't much like the experience, so I didn't go back there.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am

I actually looked it up yesterday, but thanks anyway.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 am

gregpolard wrote:I live in the suburbs so my go-to shop has always been Siren Records in Doylestown. I love it and have been going there since I was 14. I think in more recent years the selection has vastly improved as well and Blair the owner is an awesome guy and will always go out of his way to special order anything I want.

I've only been once, but I liked the place quite a bit and would like to go back one day. I spent at least $50 IIRC. I think the used stuff has half-off that weekend.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Tequila Sunrise closed. IThat space is still a record store (different owners) called Borderline. I haven't been in yet, but I hear good things. Anyway, I only went to TS once. It was just OK. The guy working in there was super quiet, the records were way overpriced, etc. I didn't much like the experience, so I didn't go back there.

Really? I got a minty second pressing of Out of Step there for like $23 and a ridiculously clean Brain first press of the first NEU! LP there for $30.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Tequila Sunrise closed. IThat space is still a record store (different owners) called Borderline. I haven't been in yet, but I hear good things. Anyway, I only went to TS once. It was just OK. The guy working in there was super quiet, the records were way overpriced, etc. I didn't much like the experience, so I didn't go back there.

Really? I got a minty second pressing of Out of Step there for like $23 and a ridiculously clean Brain first press of the first NEU! LP there for $30.

I remembered the bit about the Neu! record, but forgot that you got Out of Step there, too. The only copy of the latter record I've ever had (and I still have it) is the 4th press with the light blue lettering on the front cover.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:54 am

I still have my original 3rd press and that 2nd press. I had a beat up 2nd press that I sold for $35ish after getting the nicer one. I'm kicking myself for not buying a black back 1st press a few years ago when no one seemed to care about them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm

I currently run Ghost Town Records since last year, before that it was Damaged Records from '05-'09. Before that my lady ran Forbidden Beat '94-95 and I was pretty involved with that until they closed when she got pregnant with our son. Prior to that a friend ran Autonomy Records '88-'89 and we all hung out there constantly as we were all unemployed or in college at the time. These were all in Cardiff. The next town of Newport currently has Kriminal Records run by the old vocalist of Cowboy Killers (and now Bad Sam). Prior to him taking this over a few years ago it was Rockaway Records since the mid 80's. This was run by Simon who put all the gigs on in Newport under the name of Cheap Sweaty Fun. This place was a hub. Simon now books all the record fairs, and even in the 80's these places were a goldmine. I found my State 7" in a box under a table.

When growing up I bought all my records from the oldest record shop in the world Spillers Records of Cardiff. The first I remember buying from there was the first Specials LP in '80 prior to that it was a shop near my school called Words and Music (later Oddysey). Opposite Spillers was Buffalo Records, which sold records on one floor and jeans on another. This place closed in the mid 80's. There's an old local punk 7" by Victimize called 'Baby Buyer' (two guys went onto the Damned), the front cover photo is on the same block as where Buffalo was and opposite Spillers...

Spillers went on to feed me with hardcore records. I remember buying Flex Your Head, Boycott Stabb and the Minor Threat 12" in '84 when it came out. One day around the same time I was going on and on to a friend about Black Flag and not being able to find any of their records. A friend said they had stuff behind the counter, I didn't believe him, so we walked in, he asked and they pulled out Nervous Breakdown. I bought it on the spot, and later the same day found Six Pack in another place. By the mid and late 80's the punks of South Wales would meet at Spillers every Saturday. I remember being in a queue all to buy MRR. The whole shop was vinyl and over half was punk/indie. They'd have sales and hardcore wasn't popular then, so I'd pick up stuff like the Reagan Youth 12" for £1.99.

Outside of these places there were many second hand shops, all gone now. Record Browser on Broadway always had some good stuff, and when I lived near there when in college years later, I'd sell stuff to pay for band practice (and years later bought them back on the internet). Years before the net, I'd mailorder from places like WOT Mailorder and Alternative Tentacles in London, and Rhythm Records, then of Devon, now Cambridge. Rhythm was great and is still going. Used to get rare old hardcore stuff (even then) for £5 a 7". I got my original Mommy's Little Monster LP from Rhythm, and stuff like JFA and Ill Repute 7"s.

From the age of like 15 on, we'd go on the train to London and the shops on Portobello Road and Rough Trade. Many of these are still there, and years later on tour and the like, still go to these places. It was in one of the Portobello Road shops that I found Suffer by Bad Religion before anyone knew it existed. It must've just come out. I thought it must be a live record and bought it, took it home and was blown away to find it was a new album. Under Rough Trade used to Slam City Skates.

Bristol used to be a place we'd regularly go in the 90's-00's as Replay Records was one of the best in the country and had a similar approach to Amoeba in CA and always had new stock for cheap. I'd take in bags of review CDs and get piles of free new and used stuff. There also used be a shop called Revolver in Bristol.

Touring in a band being a vinyl addict, I'd always make it my mission to find record shops and have bought stuff all over the U.S. and Canada as well as the U.K. From Second Avenue in Portland to Vinyl Solution Huntington Beach, Doc Strange, Green Hell, Wax Trax Denver, Generation Records and the old shops that were in St. Marks that have mostly gone. From Ace's Records Tampa to Drastic Plastic in Omaha, I've checked 'em out. I really piss people off I'm in these places so long. I was in LA last year and my lady worked out I was in Amoeba for like 8 hours over three visits. The fact I was picking up 415 Records for $1.99 was lost on her. :)
Welly

Postby Hal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Main St. Records - Northampton, MA
Music Outlet - Enfield, CT
Newbury Comics - Boston, MA (the original one on Newbury St. usually)
Hal

Postby Hal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Hal wrote:Main St. Records - Northampton, MA
Music Outlet - Enfield, CT
Newbury Comics - Boston, MA (the original one on Newbury St. usually)

I forgot Second Coming Records - Cambridge, MA
Hal

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Welly wrote:I currently run Ghost Town Records since last year, before that it was Damaged Records from '05-'09. Before that my lady ran Forbidden Beat '94-95 and I was pretty involved with that until they closed when she got pregnant with our son. Prior to that a friend ran Autonomy Records '88-'89 and we all hung out there constantly as we were all unemployed or in college at the time. These were all in Cardiff. The next town of Newport currently has Kriminal Records run by the old vocalist of Cowboy Killers (and now Bad Sam). Prior to him taking this over a few years ago it was Rockaway Records since the mid 80's. This was run by Simon who put all the gigs on in Newport under the name of Cheap Sweaty Fun. This place was a hub. Simon now books all the record fairs, and even in the 80's these places were a goldmine. I found my State 7" in a box under a table.

When growing up I bought all my records from the oldest record shop in the world Spillers Records of Cardiff. The first I remember buying from there was the first Specials LP in '80 prior to that it was a shop near my school called Words and Music (later Oddysey). Opposite Spillers was Buffalo Records, which sold records on one floor and jeans on another. This place closed in the mid 80's. There's an old local punk 7" by Victimize called 'Baby Buyer' (two guys went onto the Damned), the front cover photo is on the same block as where Buffalo was and opposite Spillers...

Spillers went on to feed me with hardcore records. I remember buying Flex Your Head, Boycott Stabb and the Minor Threat 12" in '84 when it came out. One day around the same time I was going on and on to a friend about Black Flag and not being able to find any of their records. A friend said they had stuff behind the counter, I didn't believe him, so we walked in, he asked and they pulled out Nervous Breakdown. I bought it on the spot, and later the same day found Six Pack in another place. By the mid and late 80's the punks of South Wales would meet at Spillers every Saturday. I remember being in a queue all to buy MRR. The whole shop was vinyl and over half was punk/indie. They'd have sales and hardcore wasn't popular then, so I'd pick up stuff like the Reagan Youth 12" for £1.99.

Outside of these places there were many second hand shops, all gone now. Record Browser on Broadway always had some good stuff, and when I lived near there when in college years later, I'd sell stuff to pay for band practice (and years later bought them back on the internet). Years before the net, I'd mailorder from places like WOT Mailorder and Alternative Tentacles in London, and Rhythm Records, then of Devon, now Cambridge. Rhythm was great and is still going. Used to get rare old hardcore stuff (even then) for £5 a 7". I got my original Mommy's Little Monster LP from Rhythm, and stuff like JFA and Ill Repute 7"s.

From the age of like 15 on, we'd go on the train to London and the shops on Portobello Road and Rough Trade. Many of these are still there, and years later on tour and the like, still go to these places. It was in one of the Portobello Road shops that I found Suffer by Bad Religion before anyone knew it existed. It must've just come out. I thought it must be a live record and bought it, took it home and was blown away to find it was a new album. Under Rough Trade used to Slam City Skates.

Bristol used to be a place we'd regularly go in the 90's-00's as Replay Records was one of the best in the country and had a similar approach to Amoeba in CA and always had new stock for cheap. I'd take in bags of review CDs and get piles of free new and used stuff. There also used be a shop called Revolver in Bristol.

Touring in a band being a vinyl addict, I'd always make it my mission to find record shops and have bought stuff all over the U.S. and Canada as well as the U.K. From Second Avenue in Portland to Vinyl Solution Huntington Beach, Doc Strange, Green Hell, Wax Trax Denver, Generation Records and the old shops that were in St. Marks that have mostly gone. From Ace's Records Tampa to Drastic Plastic in Omaha, I've checked 'em out. I really piss people off I'm in these places so long. I was in LA last year and my lady worked out I was in Amoeba for like 8 hours over three visits. The fact I was picking up 415 Records for $1.99 was lost on her. :)

I do the same thing in record stores, so I totally feel you on that!

And what members of The Damned were in that band Victimize?
JGJR

Postby James » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:45 pm

In Vancouver, we had Track Records where I bought many of my first punk and HC albums (and shirts). They closed in the late 90's and one of the guys from there opened a little hole in the wall a few doors down called Noize which still had a lot of old local stuff. That's gone now too. Scratch Records was another good place, also out of business. Singles Going Steady in Seattle had a shop up here for a little while during the late 90's - early 00's. I always manage to buy something every time I go to the one in Seattle.

Nowadays, we still have Zulu (which used to be Quintessence 30 years ago, they put out many of the original Vancouver punk EP's), and also Red Cat, Neptoon and Audiopile (which is the best place to find punk/HC in town). Most of the time, I just order my records online.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby clash77 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 pm

James wrote:In Vancouver, we had Track Records where I bought many of my first punk and HC albums (and shirts). They closed in the late 90's and one of the guys from there opened a little hole in the wall a few doors down called Noize which still had a lot of old local stuff. That's gone now too. Scratch Records was another good place, also out of business. Singles Going Steady in Seattle had a shop up here for a little while during the late 90's - early 00's. I always manage to buy something every time I go to the one in Seattle.

Nowadays, we still have Zulu (which used to be Quintessence 30 years ago, they put out many of the original Vancouver punk EP's), and also Red Cat, Neptoon and Audiopile (which is the best place to find punk/HC in town). Most of the time, I just order my records online.

You must remember The Pointed Sticks and K-tels( Young Canadiens)??
clash77

Postby James » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:01 pm

clash77 wrote:
James wrote:In Vancouver, we had Track Records where I bought many of my first punk and HC albums (and shirts). They closed in the late 90's and one of the guys from there opened a little hole in the wall a few doors down called Noize which still had a lot of old local stuff. That's gone now too. Scratch Records was another good place, also out of business. Singles Going Steady in Seattle had a shop up here for a little while during the late 90's - early 00's. I always manage to buy something every time I go to the one in Seattle.

They were before my time, but I did get to see the Sticks when they reunited a couple of times in 2007. They were great live. I just posted a Young Canadians live set on my blog last month.

http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca/2013/07/young-canadians-live-radio-broadcast.html
James

Postby clash77 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 pm

James wrote:
clash77 wrote:

They were before my time, but I did get to see the Sticks when they reunited a couple of times in 2007. They were great live. I just posted a Young Canadians liveset on my blog last month.
Yea..i saw them in Brooklyn in '07 also.I believe it was their first ever show in the states.Awesome gig.They were part of a 3 day powerpop festival at the time.20/20, The Neighborhoods, and the Speedies also played..Forgot to mention the Modernettes.."teen city" is a classic!!

http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca/2013/07/young-canadians-live-radio-broadcast.html
clash77

Postby James » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:32 pm

I think the Pointed Sticks toured the west coast back in the day, but I know that was their first time in NYC. Modernettes were great too. Did you know that shitty band Buckcherry had to pay Modernettes' front man John Armstrong (Buck Cherry, which was a piss take of Chuck Berry) for use of that name?
James

Postby clash77 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 pm

James wrote:I think the Pointed Sticks toured the west coast back in the day, but I know that was their first time in NYC. Modernettes were great too. Did you know that shitty band Buckcherry had to pay Modernettes' front man John Armstrong (Buck Cherry, which was a piss take of Chuck Berry) for use of that name?

That's brutal dude haha..did not know that..
clash77

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Although I did hit Y+T in Rockville a few times, Kemp Mill was actually where I went the most. Starting with my first record purchase on Rockville Pike ("Fast Times" on vinyl), on thru to the College Park location. They always had decent prices and good selection.

Nothing beats Reckless Records in Chicago nowadays 8-)

Newbury Comics is OK but I went in there last week and I couldn't find much punk to be honest :roll:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby James » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:59 pm

I just read they are making a movie about John Armstrong starring Jay Baruchel as the lead role. They were supposed to be filming it already, but it was put on hold because Baruchel is working on the new Robocop (which I didn't know they were remaking, but I'm not surprised these days).
James

Next

Return to daghouse