"Kill 'Em All"

"Kill 'Em All"

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 pm

turns 30 today. definitely an important album for me in high school. I grew up listening to Ron Quintana's Rampage Radio on KUSF (college radio) and was exposed to a lot of underground metal. some of it was the "No Life 'Til Leather" demo as well as the KUSF recordings for Megaforce Records. Honestly, I thought the album was "watered down" compared to those recordings, but as a kid, it was still exciting to finally see those songs on vinyl with cover art & pic sleeve all together. I played it to death in '83 and saw 'em when they opened up for RAVEN and headlined their record release show at the Stone with ARMORED SAINT. I know some people sour on them now, but back then was some exciting times in the Bay Area.
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: "Kill 'Em All"

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:16 pm

There's nothing that band can do to erase the greatness of those first four LPs.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:There's nothing that band can do to erase the greatness of those first three LPs.

Fixed!
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Plenty great music after those first 3 immaculate records.

But Ride the lightning is KING! :bag:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby clash77 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Brilliant record..
clash77

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Did I miss a 30th anniversary deluxe edition? I might actually buy something like that, depending on the bonus material.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby whymsb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:07 pm

I remember getting a VHS video in the mail from Ron Quintana of KUSF. It had some early footage of Metallica and Exodus and other San Francisco metal bands like Blind Illusion. Boy how I wish I still had that.
whymsb

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:11 pm

whymsb wrote:I remember getting a VHS video in the mail from Ron Quintana of KUSF. It had some early footage of Metallica and Exodus and other San Francisco metal bands like Blind Illusion. Boy how I wish I still had that.

awesome! yeah, he had a lot of VHS lying around his mom's house in SF. He currently has a mini toy/cd store in Grass Valley.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:40 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Plenty great music after those first 3 immaculate records.

Justice is great. I will go as far as saying Black Album is great. Load and Reload have some
decent material but tons of filler. St. Anger has some ok parts but as a whole the production, lyrics, song length and lack of solos make it pretty unlistenable. Death Magnetic I LOVED when it came out but I can't tell you the last time I listened to it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:There's nothing that band can do to erase the greatness of those first four LPs.

Right there with you on this, but after ...And Justice for All, I just have no interest in them at all aside from seeing Some Kind of Monster in the theater back when it came out in 2004 and thinking they were even more laughable (though I kind of felt sorry for them) than before, though a bit less contemptible after that whole Lars/Napster saga.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Plenty great music after those first 3 immaculate records.

Justice is great. I will go as far as saying Black Album is great. Load and Reload have some
decent material but tons of filler. St. Anger has some ok parts but as a whole the production, lyrics, song length and lack of solos make it pretty unlistenable. Death Magnetic I LOVED when it came out but I can't tell you the last time I listened to it.

i think the black album has like 3 or 4 songs i still really like such as wolf and man and holier than thou. load and reload totally fucking suck, as did all of the later stuff. death magnetic was just trying to remake the old stuff without the soul. i thought trujillo was a cheap move and bad fit for the band and done mainly to win approval from whatever was left of the old fan base. the new disc on the garage days cd had some okay tracks, but those are covers.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby wALLton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:50 am

MXV wrote:
gregpolard wrote:There's nothing that band can do to erase the greatness of those first two LPs.

Fixed!

More fixins.
wALLton

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:55 am

wALLton wrote:
MXV wrote:
gregpolard wrote:There's nothing that band can do to erase the greatness of those first two LPs.

Fixed!

More fixins.

fucking crazy, master of puppets is one of the best metal albums of all time.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:22 am

I loved Master of Puppets when it came out, but I don't really care about that one or AJFA these days. I still enjoy the first two, though.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:28 am

AJFA sounds so bad and the songs are way too long with way too many repeated and unnecessary parts,The Black album or whatever you want to call it suffers from overexposure. Don't think I've listened to it since the year it was released. Honestly,I'd listen to and enjoy load/Reload more than either of those two. First three are all gold.
Gary

Postby soulforce » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am

For me it's: Ride the Lightning > And Justice for All > Master of Puppets >>> Kill 'em All >>>>>>>>> 90s albums >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> post-90s albums.
soulforce

Postby tango fistula » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:45 am

Once that bus flipped and the smart talented bullshit detector was killed
I stopped listening.

The song quality DROPPED immediately after M.O.P.....

I still think they removed all the low end on each recording after that...to prove they dont need bass
guitar? Spite?

Time has proven my decision to be a good one...as I think compromise and sellout was the direction
they chose.
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:24 pm

soulforce wrote:For me it's: Ride the Lightning > And Justice for All > Master of Puppets >>> Kill 'em All >>>>>>>>> 90s albums >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> post-90s albums.

Just switch up Puppets and Justice and I''m OK with the above.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
wALLton wrote:
MXV wrote:

Fixed!

More fixins.

fucking crazy, master of puppets is one of the best metal albums of all time.

We do agree on some things I see! Master of Puppets is without question my favorite Metallica album and one of my favorite metal albums ever.
MXV

Postby wALLton » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:18 am

In my opinion every release was a little bit not as good as the previous one, with the exception of the black album which just pips Justice due to the listenable production. Metallica's mixing board sure could use a TONE knob FFS.
wALLton

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:47 pm

wALLton wrote:In my opinion every release was a little bit not as good as the previous one, with the exception of the black album which just pips Justice due to the listenable production. Metallica's mixing board sure could use a TONE knob FFS.

You seriously think Kill 'Em All is better than Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets? I like it a lot, but KEA is the weakest of the first four IMO.
JGJR

Postby James » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Kill Em All used to be my favorite because it's so raw and fast. Now it's RTL, followed by KEA, MOP then AJFA. Then Garage Days over everything theyve done since. My girlfriend played Death Magnetic for me in her car the other day. There were some good riffs, but I just don't like the way Hetfield sings nowadays.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:20 pm

to me, "Kill 'Em All" is sentimental to me because I grew up with those songs and I think the track listing is better than "RTL" or "MOP." production-wise, the latter blows away "KEA."
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 pm

James wrote:Kill Em All used to be my favorite because it's so raw and fast. Now it's RTL, followed by KEA, MOP then AJFA. Then Garage Days over everything theyve done since. My girlfriend played Death Magnetic for me in her car the other day. There were some good riffs, but I just don't like the way Hetfield sings nowadays.

Agreed. He's an incredible guitar player (the Malcolm Young of Metallica; Kirk is obviously Angus) who shouldn't get near a microphone these days.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm

let's just agree all early metallica kicks ass. if you hate justice, check out the live shows from then, you might like them.
yourenotevil

Postby wALLton » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:28 am

JGJR wrote:
wALLton wrote:In my opinion every release was a little bit not as good as the previous one, with the exception of the black album which just pips Justice due to the listenable production. Metallica's mixing board sure could use a TONE knob FFS.

You seriously think Kill 'Em All is better than Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets? I like it a lot, but KEA is the weakest of the first four IMO.

Oops, no. For the longest time I only had Ride The Lightening and assumed it was the first album. I bought Kill 'Em All sometime later so keep forgetting which one came first. Only picked up Master of Puppets a few years back, so maybe that's why I'm not as big a fan of it as the others. My order is definitely RTL>KEA>MOP>the rest.

I understand there is a lot of love for Justice, but that production is just so bad I find it unlistenable. So this is what happens when you let the drummer and guitarist mix the album? They must be deaf to the low register. I downloaded the Justice for Jason boot a little while back and while it is an improvement to the sound, I'm still not a big fan. Never liked One, and that video was played to DEATH!
wALLton

Postby Michele » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:52 pm

to me:
Master of Puppets
Kill Em All
Ride The Lightning
And Justice For All

the problem with Ride The Lightning is that I really can't stand a pair of fillers like escape and trapped under ice, or at least I've always considered them as fillers.
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby akissfan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Michele wrote:to me:
Master of Puppets
Kill Em All
Ride The Lightning
And Justice For All

Agreed.
akissfan

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Master of Puppets
Kill Em All
Ride The Lightning
And Justice For All

the problem with Ride The Lightning is that I really can't stand a pair of fillers like escape and trapped under ice, or at least I've always considered them as fillers.

i like escape. trapped under ice was always a great song, to me at least.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:04 am

yourenotevil wrote:
Master of Puppets
Kill Em All
Ride The Lightning
And Justice For All

I agree. I don't think there's any filler on RTL.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 am

"Trapped Under Ice" is one of my favorite songs on RTL.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:02 am

version sound wrote:"Trapped Under Ice" is one of my favorite songs on RTL.

This.
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 am

If "Trapped Under Ice" is filler, I guess I have missed the point of early Metallica.

Which is possible.
Hello.
pedro

Postby tad ghostal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:01 am

Michele wrote:the problem with Ride The Lightning is that I really can't stand a pair of fillers like escape and trapped under ice, or at least I've always considered them as fillers.

I recall reading recently that Hetfield hates one of those songs (I think it's Escape). I think Trapped Under Ice is awesome.
tad ghostal

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33 am

tad ghostal wrote:
Michele wrote:the problem with Ride The Lightning is that I really can't stand a pair of fillers like escape and trapped under ice, or at least I've always considered them as fillers.

I recall reading recently that Hetfield hates one of those songs (I think it's Escape). I think Trapped Under Ice is awesome.

yeah, it was escape. i forget what he said, but i think he said they were going for a sound that wasn't them. i always thought of it as an attempt at a classic power metal song like judas pries would do. come to think of it, i have never heard anyone say TUI is a filler song.
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:49 am

Gary

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:35 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
Master of Puppets
Kill Em All
Ride The Lightning
And Justice For All

I agree. I don't think there's any filler on RTL.

What YNE and Greg said above!
JGJR

Postby Michele » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:59 pm

don't know probably, after reading your posts I should reconsider them, but along the years they never clicked with me... btw, maybe filelr is a wrong word to describe them, let's say that I consider them as not on the general level of that album ;)
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby James » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:37 pm

I love Escape!
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 am

I think Kill 'em All is the only Metallica record I still love. I'm waiting for that 30th Anniversary deluxe version.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:29 am

gregpolard wrote:There's nothing that band can do to erase the greatness of those first four LPs.

This.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby MXV » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:07 am

They recently came out with Metallica vans shoes and the one model was fashioned after Kill 'em All.
MXV

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 pm

kinda fitting this thread was bumped.

RIP to Cliff Burton who we lost today in 1986
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 pm

WrEtcH wrote:kinda fitting this thread was bumped.

RIP to Cliff Burton who we lost today in 1986

This
JGJR

Return to daghouse