Let's talk about shows you attended recently

Let's talk about shows you attended recently

Postby Michele » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:20 am

So, which shows did you attended recently and which kind of stuff you like to see onstage.
Coming to me, it's such a long time since I attended a big/popular show or festival. I far prefer small venues and not too crowded events.
Mostly, I like when musicians and people mix together and you can talk with them, maybe have a beer or two without spending too much money and rarely I pay more than 5/10 euros at the door.
Usually, squats and small clubs are my fave venues and coming to festivals I love independent/local bills with a friendly approach.
Since my May German dates on the van with Gottesmorder (http://www.thenewnoise.it/in-giro-coi-gottesmorder/), I went to a pair or three good shows and can't wait to see again Jungbluth (http://jungbluth.bandcamp.com/) in Bologna next week.
I don't like when there's some sort of passive approach and you are just one of the crowd, lacking the old spirit of hardcore shows, that doesn't mean I just attend hc shows, just I'm not into booking expensive tickets on the net months before to spend hours waiting before the show just to grab a decent place or not to be miles from the stage... meaybe I'm too old for this. Maybe, I just like when you are doing your part to support a venue you like or bands counting on your presence not to play in front of ten people...
what's about you?
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Re: Let's talk about shows you attended recently

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:24 am

Couldn't agree more, Michele. I love the smaller shows where you can get right up front, mingle with the band, etc. A great example of this was the Redd Kross show I attended with JGJR a few months ago. We got to talk to the band a bit before hand, get right up front, snap some good pics etc.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:53 am

that's exactly what I was talking about! To live a show to a higher degree than just one in a thousand 8-)
Michele

Postby Bill » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Saw Teenage Bottlerocket for the 15th or so time, they were great as always but the crowd was so annoying; I'll give them one more chance but they're definitely inching into the realm where their fans make it not worth paying for the ticket.

Speaking of annoying fans, I'm about to go see Fucked Up tonight, the king band of annoying fans.
Bill

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Only 2 shows I saw in the last year or so were:

Seymour Glass (Staten Island band who are GREAT. Lots of playing and instrumentation, with Tori Amos styled vocals) Finally got to see them live
Dot Dash when they played NYC
Redd Kross.

All were good.

New job in Manhattan starting Monday will allow for more shows.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Recent? Uh...well, there was Red Hare with Give and Colosseum a few months ago. The bands were great, but the sound sucked. Before that...Dag Nasty, Kingface, and Black Market Baby in December. That one was (relatively) big and packed. All three bands were in top form. Dag Nasty really should have been the headliners. I felt bad for BMB having to be the anti-climax playing to a quickly emptying house. Come to think of it, the same thing happened with Red Hare and Colosseum.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Bill » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:31 am

People left before Coliseum? Their loss.
Bill

Postby Michele » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 am

Coliseum were famouis for their great live sets, saw them with converge and integrity and they thrashed the venue... not too much into theitr latest stuff and the new noise-rockish approach
Michele

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:13 am

Bill wrote:Saw Teenage Bottlerocket for the 15th or so time, they were great as always but the crowd was so annoying; I'll give them one more chance but they're definitely inching into the realm where their fans make it not worth paying for the ticket.

Speaking of annoying fans, I'm about to go see Fucked Up tonight, the king band of annoying fans.

I like TBR but never saw them live. What's annoying about their fans? Also with Fucked Up I love their newer stuff yet somehow have only seen them once and it was before they had any full lengths out. They opened for Dillinger Four.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:07 am

Bill wrote:People left before Coliseum? Their loss.

The crowd was definitely there for Red Hare. It didn't help that it was a week night, either. The place wasn't empty for Colosseum, but a good bit of the crowd did leave early.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby mikeaz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:08 am

Subhumans/Adolescents in brooklyn. Both bands I last saw about 5 or 6 years ago. They were both great. Kids went off for both bands. There was a huge turnout even though it was on a Sunday night. Stagediver knocked over Tony Adolescent. I met Steve Soto. Good times.

Next up: Zero Boys/Night Birds!
mikeaz

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Oh that reminds me.

I saw Red Hare and Coliseum recently, too.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby pedro » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:33 pm

I saw the Specials a couple of weeks back and I had a great time. I'm still singing/humming all the songs
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:12 pm

version sound wrote:

The crowd was definitely there for Red Hare. It didn't help that it was a week night, either. The place wasn't empty for Colosseum, but a good bit of the crowd did leave early.

I think you have to account for the fact that you are in DC and so i'd imagine people down there care more about Red Hare and Give than Coliseum. Plus, I listened to a Coliseum EP and it was just OK. Maybe they're a band you have to see live?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:23 pm

gregpolard wrote:
Bill wrote:Saw Teenage Bottlerocket for the 15th or so time, they were great as always but the crowd was so annoying; I'll give them one more chance but they're definitely inching into the realm where their fans make it not worth paying for the ticket.

I like TBR but never saw them live. What's annoying about their fans? Also with Fucked Up I love their newer stuff yet somehow have only seen them once and it was before they had any full lengths out. They opened for Dillinger Four.

What's funny is that I've never heard a single Dilinger Four song (at least not knowingly), but have seen Fucked Up almost every time they've played here since 2007. That includes shows with YDI, Government Warning and Cold World (all together) the first time I saw them and then with (respectively; one opener for each show) Hard Skin, Pissed Jeans, Kurt Vile and most recently JEFF the Brotherhood back in 2011. I don't think they've played here since then, though.

The only time we missed them is when we were in Texas on our honeymoon in the fall of 2008!
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

What's funny is that I've never heard a single Dilinger Four song (at least not knowingly), but have seen Fucked Up almost every time they've played here since 2007. That includes shows with YDI, Government Warning and Cold World (all together) the first time I saw them and then with (respectively; one opener for each show) Hard Skin, Pissed Jeans, Kurt Vile and most recently JEFF the Brotherhood back in 2011. I don't think they've played here since then, though.

The only time we missed them is when we were in Texas on our honeymoon in the fall of 2008!

were ydi any good?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:18 am

Saw Negative Approach a couple of weeks ago. Local bands Rats Blood and Loose Nut opened.

Negative Approach were not a band I would ever have expected to play here so I was pretty stoked,and not at all let down.
Gary

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm

We had a birthday party for my son out on the big lawn in the middle of our apartment complex Saturday. And Tonic and Sister Hazel were playing a free show on the lawn at the same time. So I guess that was the last show I attended. Tonic. And Sister Hazel.

:shock:
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Oh, and I really enjoyed Parquet Courts, Michael Cronin and Swans at Pitchfork Fest.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

were ydi any good?

Unfortunately, they were not. I was honestly bored during their set and looked at records and then left and came back in after putting my purchases in the car.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm

scannest wrote:We had a birthday party for my son out on the big lawn in the middle of our apartment complex Saturday. And Tonic and Sister Hazel were playing a free show on the lawn at the same time. So I guess that was the last show I attended. Tonic. And Sister Hazel.

:shock:

If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you get in Stuyvestant Town? I knew a few folks who lived there in the '90s, so it's possible, but wow.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 pm

JGJR wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you get in Stuyvestant Town? I knew a few folks who lived there in the '90s, so it's possible, but wow.

Here's the little known secret for getting into Stuy Town...it went to "market rates" about a decade ago!
About half the tenants are holdovers from the old Rent Controlled days, but as those apartments are vacated they are gussied up and rented for market rates. It's not as outrageous as much of Manhattan, but it's not cheap. Still, it was the best for us given where my son goes to school and where we work. It's about a 1/3 the size of our house in Philly, but I love living in the city. Yes I do!
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you get in Stuyvestant Town? I knew a few folks who lived there in the '90s, so it's possible, but wow.

Here's the little known secret for getting into Stuy Town...it went to "market rates" about a decade ago!
About half the tenants are holdovers from the old Rent Controlled days, but as those apartments are vacated they are gussied up and rented for market rates. It's not as outrageous as much of Manhattan, but it's not cheap. Still, it was the best for us given where my son goes to school and where we work. It's about a 1/3 the size of our house in Philly, but I love living in the city. Yes I do!

I knew it went to market rates (though thought it went to that more recently), but still thought it was virtually impossible to get in there because no one leaves. I guess I was wrong! Anyway, that's really great for all of you, especially that you all have a courtyard, your son has a place to play (at least I assume so; haven't been there in a long time), et al. As you know, that's a very rare thing in Manhattan!
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 pm

JGJR wrote:I knew it went to market rates (though thought it went to that more recently), but still thought it was virtually impossible to get in there because no one leaves. I guess I was wrong! Anyway, that's really great for all of you, especially that you all have a courtyard, your son has a place to play (at least I assume so; haven't been there in a long time), et al. As you know, that's a very rare thing in Manhattan!

The outdoor spaces are really nice - we've had lots of picnics on the big lawn, plus there's basketball, ping-pong, tennis, even bocci!
The rental process is funky - you tell the agent what size apartment you want (1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms, etc.) and they tell you what apartments are going to be coming available over the next few weeks. But you never get to see the actual apartment until you move in. They show you a full-size model unit so you can see the layout, appliances, things like that.
scannest

Postby Knutsen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm

when to the greenville Festival near Berlin yesterday.
Highlights were: Kvelertak, Kaiser Chiefs, Nick Cafe & the bad Seeds.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Knutsen wrote:when to the greenville Festival near Berlin yesterday.
Highlights were: Kvelertak, Kaiser Chiefs, Nick Cafe & the bad Seeds.

I loved the first Kaiser Chiefs Lp Employment back when it came out in 2005 and saw them several times that year, too, including once at Maxwell's (which will be closing after Wednesday). The stuff I've heard since then hasn't done much for me at all, but I would see them again if I got a free ticket or if they were playing a festival I was already at or something.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:23 am

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

were ydi any good?

Unfortunately, they were not. I was honestly bored during their set and looked at records and then left and came back in after putting my purchases in the car.

wasn't it just the singer and some random guys? i guess i remember that show coming and going and no one really talking about it. i throw on the earlier ydi stuff once a year or so, but in the end they were pretty average when put up against their peers.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby pedro » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 am

I saw Paul Weller last night. He was really good.

The night started on the right foot when I bought a ticket off some guy on the street for $20. The ticket had a face value of $45, which I was extremely hesitant to pay. The $12 in fees made it impossible for me to buy a ticket on line so waiting until the show was definitely the way to go for me. If it had been sold out, I wouldn't have been very disappointed.

I saw the tail end of the openers set. It was some guy and a guitar. He appeared to cover "Suspicious Minds"' but he took some liberties. Parts of the lyrics were the same, but others seemed different. He ended his set by introducing a song, stating it was kind of a "Pogues/Steve Earle hybrid" and the beginning reminded him of something off Earle's El Corazon album. The moment he started playing I knew what Earle song he meant and yelled out "Here I Am". He stopped playing and burst out laughing and said "yup!" He then finished the song and his set. He was pretty good.

Weller, respecting the age of his audience hit the stage at 8:55 PM. He played a few of the rockers in his catalogue, "Peacock Suit", "Wake Up the Nation" and "Floorboards" before breaking to address the audience. I can usually understand those funny British accents without a problem, but Weller was a problem. For the most part he was a mushy mess when addressing the very enthusiastic crowd. He went on to play a more rocking version than I thought possible of "Ever Changing Moods". I probably recognized about 65% of his solo stuff and, of course, the three Jam songs he has been playing, "That's Entertainment", "Start!" and the evening's closer, "A Town Called Malice". I was extremely impressed with Weller 's live show. I don't think I' going to go back and buy the solo records I don't own, but I M going to borrow them from my neighbor, who is a huge fan.

Glad I went. And for less than half price!
Hello.
pedro

Postby BAIN » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 am

my last 4 shows were all at Maxwell's. been going there for 20 years and had to make it a point to lock down as many tickets as I could for bands I was interested in. I absolutely love that room and the bar. still thinking about going there tonight for the block party.

Titus Andronicus
Ted Leo
Texas is the Reason
Mission of Burma
BAIN

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:21 pm

BAIN wrote:my last 4 shows were all at Maxwell's. been going there for 20 years and had to make it a point to lock down as many tickets as I could for bands I was interested in. I absolutely love that room and the bar. still thinking about going there tonight for the block party.

Titus Andronicus
Ted Leo
Texas is the Reason
Mission of Burma

So jealous (specifically seeing MoB there). Ted is playing here tonight with Waxahatchee and I'd love to go, but I can't. :(

I would've really loved to see the Real Estate show there the other night, too, as Cassie Ramone of Vivian Girls opened with a solo set and Glenn Mercer of The Feelies joined them at one point during their set, too! It's stuff like that which makes me kind of regret not being in the NYC area anymore.

And actually, Titus Andronicus (who I don't like at all; sorry) was the 2nd to last band I ever saw there as they opened for Yo La Tengo at the Hanukkah show we went to last year! I'm OK with YLT being the last band I will ever see there, though! Appropriate as I saw them there many, many times and they were always great. My first Maxwell's show was in '98 after Todd started booking shows there again, so it was only a 14 year run for me.
JGJR

Postby Michele » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Just attended a good show in Bologna yesterday, sadly few people showed up, but this is a real hard period for gigs in cities as students come back to their towns and people reach the sea-sides. It was a very hot day and lucky the venue had the air-conditioning that was a very good thing, eh, eh
a local opening act played some interesting mix in between DC-core and Skate rock, with a good vibe and loads of energy, but I guess they need some more experience to reach the perfect balancing in between different ingredients. btw, nice starter.
Jester Beast are an old crossover band from Torino and they're around (with some break) since 80s, maybe some of you already heard of them:
http://www.jesterbeast.com/
nowadays they play a voivod influenced crossover and released a very good show with some new and old stuff.
Last there were Jungbluth that, as you know, are one of my faves in hardcore nowadays, they did a great set and put loads of energy and attitude on it. we talked a lot and traded some interesting point of views, I really hope to meet them again soon.
beside this, I met soem good friends from around Bologna and had a very great night.
we hit home after two hours driving at five in the morning and today I was broke, but I'm so glad of my friday night ;)
Michele

Postby Gary » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Just back from seeing TSOL play to maybe 50 people,and they were great. Way better than I could have hoped for. They only played about 45 mins though as they had to rush off to catch a ferry.
Gary

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 pm

TSOL, at least when I saw them two years ago, were still so amazing.

I caught Criaturas last week and they blew me away; super solo heavy, thrashy hardcore with alternating screaming & singing male/female Spanish vocals. The LP they just put out on Residue is killer.

As I mentioned in their own thread my band played with The New Flesh and Daylight Robbery last night and it was a complete winner of a show.
Bill

Postby Gary » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 am

Saw Unkind last night,they were pretty good. Not heard the last few records by them so wasn't sure what to expect.
Ken Mode headlined,but did nothing for me.
Gary

Postby danny » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:21 am

wire
terry malts
supersuckers

wire were good. i went with my ten-year-old son. he perched right at the front of the stage. unfortunately, he only knows stuff off the first few albums, so didn't have much chance to sing along. still, an enjoyable night.

terry malts were a lot looser sounding than i expected. they were pretty good. catchy punk/pop stuff.

supersuckers...eh...i have two cds, but have never really been a fan. the live show was just not my thing.
danny

Postby Michele » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 am

some close friends of mine opened a venue in my town, just a club with around 80 people capacity in the concert room , but it's on three different levels, with a reading space and a great bar, I really enjoyed the opening day, next weekend will be two more shows (friday and saturday) and most of all I can walk from home and back :D
guess you would love the posters and images they put on the walls:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/-Glue-Lab-/544503515588687
Michele

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am

Saw the Evens play last night in Sacramento. Really great night out. They were charming, the crowd was overly polite, 95% of them were sitting on the floor, I was dancing around. I can't help myself.
Chris Shary

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Saw Son Volt for the first time ever (long-time fan, first-time spectator) and it was fucking awful. Like, I know this is version 2.0 and whatnot, but jesus christ.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Saw Son Volt for the first time ever (long-time fan, first-time spectator) and it was fucking awful. Like, I know this is version 2.0 and whatnot, but jesus christ.

I love the song "Drown." Every other song I've heard by them pales in comparison.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:Saw Son Volt for the first time ever (long-time fan, first-time spectator) and it was fucking awful. Like, I know this is version 2.0 and whatnot, but jesus christ.

I love the song "Drown." Every other song I've heard by them pales in comparison.

LOL, you're pretty funny.
FormerLurker

Postby matt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Yeah, I saw them for the first time this year, as well. Proficient playing, but totally snooze-tastic.
matt
Site Admin

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

matt wrote:

Yeah, I saw them for the first time this year, as well. Proficient playing, but totally snooze-tastic.

Not at the show I saw.
FormerLurker

Postby matt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
matt wrote:

Not at the show I saw.

Bummer.

I saw them with Lucero at a 100-year-old seated auditorium in Boulder. Lucero played after Son Volt and they are absolutely not a band to play a venue with seats (whereas, Son Volt totally was). The whole night was extremely awkward.
matt
Site Admin

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I saw an improv show headlined by Kevin McDonald a month or two ago. Does that count?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:35 pm

matt wrote:I saw them with Lucero at a 100-year-old seated auditorium in Boulder. Lucero played after Son Volt and they are absolutely not a band to play a venue with seats (whereas, Son Volt totally was). The whole night was extremely awkward.

Funny you mention that. I kept telling my buddy all night "I really wish we could sit down for this."
FormerLurker

Postby john stabb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 pm

by Chris Shary » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am

"Saw the Evens play last night in Sacramento. Really great night out. They were charming, the crowd was overly polite, 95% of them were sitting on the floor, I was dancing around. I can't help myself."

People (out of DC) always are "overly polite" because they feel a bit of intimidation by Ian. DC folks would never sit n the floor like they thought The Evens were the Dead, Phish or whatever. And somebody should break the "overly polite" reaction & yell out "Moby Dick" for me. ;)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
matt wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
"Saw Son Volt for the first time ever (long-time fan, first-time spectator) and it was fucking awful. Like, I know this is version 2.0 and whatnot, but jesus christ."

"Yeah, I saw them for the first time this year, as well. Proficient playing, but totally snooze-tastic."

But weren't they always incredibly "sleep-inducing" Rock :?:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:17 am

john stabb wrote:But weren't they always incredibly "sleep-inducing" Rock :?:

No.
FormerLurker

Postby Gary » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:04 am

Hellshock
Putrefaction
Sete Star Sept
Rats Blood
Gaze

Local bands (Putrefaction and Rats Blood) were bands of the night for me.
Gary

Postby Neal » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm

saw future of the left at a free festival thing here. i'm guessing most of the people there didn't really even know them, it was just an excuse to party out in a plaza, which is fine because that's why i was there for some of the other shows. they were good, played 2 mclusky songs which i wasn't expecting. i loved mclusky and don't think future of the left are quite as good, but i've been revisiting their albums again and appreciating them more now.
Neal

Next

Return to daghouse