Big Star-"Nothing can hurt me"

Big Star-"Nothing can hurt me"

Postby tango fistula » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Who's seen it?

I dug it alot but I am aware that it might better appeal to longtime fans of the band....

The "celebrity"'s blathering about the band can be cut in half and add more Jim Dickinson.
tango fistula

Re: Big Star-"Nothing can hurt me"

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:56 pm

tango fistula wrote:Who's seen it?

I dug it alot but I am aware that it might better appeal to longtime fans of the band....

The "celebrity"'s blathering about the band can be cut in half and add more Jim Dickinson.

We saw it last year at ATP and on a very rocky boat. It was quite moving as a long-time fan. I'd like to see the finished cut (we saw a rough cut), but going out to see movies these days is virtually impossible, so I will await the stream and/or DVD.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:32 am

I saw it was On Demand for 6.99 to rent. I haven't pulled the trigger yet despite naming my kid after Alex Chilton haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:17 am

I saw it in a theater when I was visiting Chicago last week. I enjoyed it more than I expected. I've gotten quite sick of talking-head music docs, but this one was better than average. I'd quibble that they spent too much time on Alex's tenure in the Panther Burns and not enough on the 3rd album. And no interviews at all with the Posies who comprised 1/2 of Big Star for the past umpteen years. But like I said, better than average thanks to some fairly eloquent speakers (esp. John Fry).
Biggest laugh - apparently the debauched hang-out for every Memphis lo-life circa 1973 was...TGI Fridays. That's where the back cover photo for Radio City was taken.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:57 pm

Still haven't seen it. Not sure what Panther Burns has to do with anything. Same goes for the Posies. The story for Chilton really ends after Third, which wasn't even supposed to be a Big Star record in the first place. Part of me thinks that a Chris Bell documentary is a more compelling idea, but that would probably be a harder sell. I mean, music geek legendary status aside, Big Star are still pretty obscure.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:38 am

scannest wrote:I saw it in a theater when I was visiting Chicago last week. I enjoyed it more than I expected. I've gotten quite sick of talking-head music docs, but this one was better than average. I'd quibble that they spent too much time on Alex's tenure in the Panther Burns and not enough on the 3rd album. And no interviews at all with the Posies who comprised 1/2 of Big Star for the past umpteen years. But like I said, better than average thanks to some fairly eloquent speakers (esp. John Fry).
Biggest laugh - apparently the debauched hang-out for every Memphis lo-life circa 1973 was...TGI Fridays. That's where the back cover photo for Radio City was taken.

I thought Ken Stringfellow was in it. Hmmm

I've never even heard of Panther Burns but I did know about TGI Fridays from reading the 33 1/3 book on Radio City though!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:46 pm

scannest wrote:I saw it in a theater when I was visiting Chicago last week. I enjoyed it more than I expected. I've gotten quite sick of talking-head music docs, but this one was better than average. I'd quibble that they spent too much time on Alex's tenure in the Panther Burns and not enough on the 3rd album. And no interviews at all with the Posies who comprised 1/2 of Big Star for the past umpteen years. But like I said, better than average thanks to some fairly eloquent speakers (esp. John Fry).

I'll watch a music doc or even a shitty bio-pic about virtually anyone, even bands I don't really care about or like but especially if it's related to a band I do like. I'll even extend that to movies vaguely about or featuring musicians like the awful 1999 KISS-related movie Detroit Rock City. I saw it back when it was in the theaters, but hadn't seen it until I happened to be watching one of the movie channels (Encore, I think) at my in-laws' house yesterday and it happened to be on. Despite its predictability, KISS' crass marketing and piss-poor attention to detail re: musical timelines, I was STILL sucked in.

I got a laugh out of that TGI Fridays bit, too, but it was the original one and I assume before it became a chain/franchise.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:50 pm

version sound wrote:Still haven't seen it. Not sure what Panther Burns has to do with anything. Same goes for the Posies. The story for Chilton really ends after Third, which wasn't even supposed to be a Big Star record in the first place. Part of me thinks that a Chris Bell documentary is a more compelling idea, but that would probably be a harder sell. I mean, music geek legendary status aside, Big Star are still pretty obscure.

Someone needs to listen to the "Bangkok" single and Like Flies on Sherbert. There was plenty of great Chilton stuff after Third/Sister Lovers, but I do agree that Big Star was his pinnacle (no contest really).

I would watch a Chris Bell documentary in a second. Derek See (who I know and who played keyboards in Iggy and the Stooges on occasion though he was mainly their guitar tech and roadie) wrote a great piece about Chris Bell not that long ago.

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/feature ... -am-cosmos
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:18 am

Maybe (not really - LFOS is mostly an entertaining disaster), but the movie is supposed to be about Big Star, so Chilton's subsequent solo work is somewhat immaterial.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 am

JGJR wrote:

I'll watch a music doc or even a shitty bio-pic about virtually anyone, even bands I don't really care about or like but especially if it's related to a band I do like. I'll even extend that to movies vaguely about or featuring musicians like the awful 1999 KISS-related movie Detroit Rock City. I saw it back when it was in the theaters, but hadn't seen it until I happened to be watching one of the movie channels (Encore, I think) at my in-laws' house yesterday and it happened to be on. Despite its predictability, KISS' crass marketing and piss-poor attention to detail re: musical timelines, I was STILL sucked in.

I got a laugh out of that TGI Fridays bit, too, but it was the original one and I assume before it became a chain/franchise.

I love Detroit Rock City (movie)
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 am

gregpolard wrote:I've never even heard of Panther Burns but I did know about TGI Fridays from reading the 33 1/3 book on Radio City though!

That Radio City book is one of the best in 33 1/3 series. A little bit of (Philly) related trivia - I was talking to a friend of a friend at a party and the subject of that book came up. Turns out he was the drummer for the pick-up band the author put together to back Chilton for a handful of shows. His photo is even in the book. Guy's name is Joe Ankerbrand (sp?). He's a huge record collector and runs the record section for that used book store in the Italian Market (Molly's).
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:35 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I remembered liking it back when I first saw it, but some glaring errors related to the time period it was supposed to be set in really stuck out when I watched it again a few days ago. It had a rock vs. disco element that wasn't really prevalent yet in '76, Cobo Hall is a much smaller place than they would've been playing back then, songs that were used in the movie like "Highway to Hell" weren't recorded and released until years later, etc.

Maybe I'm just nitpicky.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:36 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I've never even heard of Panther Burns but I did know about TGI Fridays from reading the 33 1/3 book on Radio City though!

That Radio City book is one of the best in 33 1/3 series. A little bit of (Philly) related trivia - I was talking to a friend of a friend at a party and the subject of that book came up. Turns out he was the drummer for the pick-up band the author put together to back Chilton for a handful of shows. His photo is even in the book. Guy's name is Joe Ankerbrand (sp?). He's a huge record collector and runs the record section for that used book store in the Italian Market (Molly's).

I've found some really good records for reasonable prices at Molly's. Very cool!
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:51 pm

JGJR wrote:"Maybe I'm just nitpicky."

I have my knew signature! Yes!!
:D
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:28 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I remembered liking it back when I first saw it, but some glaring errors related to the time period it was supposed to be set in really stuck out when I watched it again a few days ago. It had a rock vs. disco element that wasn't really prevalent yet in '76, Cobo Hall is a much smaller place than they would've been playing back then, songs that were used in the movie like "Highway to Hell" weren't recorded and released until years later, etc.

Maybe I'm just nitpicky.

Man, I don't care about that stuff at all. It's a funny movie. You def are being nitpicky hahah
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:28 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Maybe I'm just nitpicky.

Man, I don't care about that stuff at all. It's a funny movie. You def are being nitpicky hahah

Fair enough. I admit that I am and remember, I admitted that I sat through the entire f'n movie, too. I get sucked in to watching bad movies easily (I'll even watch music-related infomercials, which drive my wife bonkers) so they must have some virtue, right?

Still, errors like that drive ME bonkers! :lol:
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:"Maybe I'm just nitpicky."

I have my knew signature! Yes!!
:D

I seem to be the main provider of your signatures these days. I guess I should be honored?
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 pm

scannest wrote:

Totally agree on it being one of the best in the series. Do they make new ones any more
?
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:07 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Maybe I'm just nitpicky.

Fair enough. I admit that I am and remember, I admitted that I sat through the entire f'n movie, too. I get sucked in to watching bad movies easily (I'll even watch music-related infomercials, which drive my wife bonkers) so they must have some virtue, right?

Still, errors like that drive ME bonkers! :lol:

It's ok. I still love ya.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:13 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Totally agree on it being one of the best in the series. Do they make new ones any more
?

Yep!

http://333sound.com/
JGJR

Return to daghouse