Danzig

Danzig

Postby clash77 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:21 pm

After the Misfits, Glenn should have have found a new career..Samhain and Danzig are just DREADFUL!! Pure Shit!!
clash77

Re: Danzig

Postby version sound » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:34 pm

No.

All Samhain is good. The first 2 or 3 Danzig records are decent too.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:35 pm

I like the first Danzig record. Never thought much of Samhain. Come to think of it, latter era Misfits (i.e. the thrashy stuff) is pretty sucko.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 pm

clash77 wrote:After the Misfits, Glenn should have have found a new career..Samhain and Danzig are just DREADFUL!! Pure Shit!!

Craziest post you've made on this board. Samhain were awesome and the first four Zig LPs are great too.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby clash77 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 pm

gregpolard wrote:
clash77 wrote:After the Misfits, Glenn should have have found a new career..Samhain and Danzig are just DREADFUL!! Pure Shit!!

Craziest post you've made on this board. Samhain were awesome and the first four Zig LPs are great too.
Craziest post for me Greg?? Thank you..I feel better now..ha
clash77

Postby James » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 pm

clash77 wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Craziest post for me Greg?? Thank you..I feel better now..ha

For many years, I agreed 100% with what clash77 wrote. I tried both Samhain and the 1st Danzig Lp in high school and they didn't do anything for me. I went back to the 1st Danzig Lp a few years ago and actually enjoyed it, though I think I like The Cult's Electric way more overall as far as that sort of stuff goes. I still don't get Samhain, though. I tried Initium a few years ago and found it to be border unlistenable, especially the cover of "Horror Business."

And Hunter is right. I like the later Misfits stuff, too, but anything pre-Earth A.D. and especially Static Age and the early singles (though Walk Among Us is great, too) is the real gold IMO.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Mark T. » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I like the first Danzig record.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby 77clash » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

+1 Might be the most truthful thing ever posted on here.
77clash

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:50 am

samhain is just not that good. i have tried for years to get into it, but i can't outside of a handful of songs. i chalk it up to bad production and the fact that danzig could not play guitar very well. maybe if he had done those songs on a proper budget i would feel differently, but who knows? danzig is pretty awesome. i don't see how most people could like his singing and not at least like the first album. the first three are def worth owning and the fourth one has some good songs.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 am

I love the Danzig/Von/Christ/Biscuits albums. Even most of the albums that followed.

if I had to rank 'em

1."Lucifuge" (II)
2."How The Gods Kill" (III)
3. DANZIG VI
4. DANZIG I

after the MISFITS ceased operations, SAMHAIN was tough to get into, but after a while, it clicked with me. I love all 3 releases. have to admit I'd rather listen to DANZIG more, but I dug the change of pace with SAMHAIN.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:57 am

yourenotevil wrote:samhain is just not that good. i have tried for years to get into it, but i can't outside of a handful of songs. i chalk it up to bad production and the fact that danzig could not play guitar very well. maybe if he had done those songs on a proper budget i would feel differently, but who knows? danzig is pretty awesome. i don't see how most people could like his singing and not at least like the first album. the first three are def worth owning and the fourth one has some good songs.

Except he played guitar in the studio on plenty of Misfits records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:10 am

Also, some of you actually listen to the current "Misfits", so saying Danzig was no good after he left is all kinds of fucked up.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:10 am

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:samhain is just not that good. i have tried for years to get into it, but i can't outside of a handful of songs. i chalk it up to bad production and the fact that danzig could not play guitar very well. maybe if he had done those songs on a proper budget i would feel differently, but who knows? danzig is pretty awesome. i don't see how most people could like his singing and not at least like the first album. the first three are def worth owning and the fourth one has some good songs.

Except he played guitar in the studio on plenty of Misfits records.

on the original recordings or when he went back and redid stuff? either way, samhain stuff seemed to be a little out of his league.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:31 am

I think Danzig's guitar is on plenty of Misfits records. Doyle wasn't exactly Hendrix himself.

I really don't get the negative attitude towards Samhain. I think if those records had the Misfits name on them, some of you would be singing a different tune.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:45 am

version sound wrote:I think Danzig's guitar is on plenty of Misfits records. Doyle wasn't exactly Hendrix himself.

I really don't get the negative attitude towards Samhain. I think if those records had the Misfits name on them, some of you would be singing a different tune.

VS, I don’t know if I’ve ever agreed more with anything you’ve said than your stance on this. Also, I’m convinced that people saying they “can’t get into Samhain” haven’t tried listening to them anytime recently. It’s funny that people will complain about the production then flip out at finding some demo/practice tape of old hc bands.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 am

I think the name change has a lot to do with it for a lot of people. I followed Danzig from WAU through the second Danzig LP, and while there are some shifts in direction here and there, he was pretty consistent in that period, so loving one of those bands and thinking another sucks makes no damn sense to me. Shit, Initium sounds more like The Misfits than Earth AD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:48 am

it's more like the gothy/keyboard/chime effects i can't get into. nothing to do with the name change. i prolly like 8 to 10 samhain songs and i have listened to all of the albums plenty of times.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:58 am

yourenotevil wrote:it's more like the gothy/keyboard/chime effects i can't get into. nothing to do with the name change. i prolly like 8 to 10 samhain songs and i have listened to all of the albums plenty of times.

Those things are few and far between. Initium came out when I was 12 and still very much in a "HARDCORE ONLY" headspace and I took very little to no notice of chimes or keyboards. IIRC, they only pop up briefly on 1 or 2 songs.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 am

version sound wrote:Also, some of you actually listen to the current "Misfits", so saying Danzig was no good after he left is all kinds of fucked up.

I did see them once in '98 and though it was an enjoyable show, Misfits sans Danzig is just not The Misfits. Period.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:39 am

I for one can't wait for the Danzing Legacy TV Special.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/danzig ... completed/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 am

Glenn Danzig wrote:I think I'm playing one of the songs and my tooth falls out, like a cap or whatever it is like in the middle when I'm about to sing. I'm, like, Hey, my fucking teeth fell out,' so it's just stuff like that that's just happening spur of the moment because it's live."
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 am

I love all the Samhain records, with the Unholy Passion EP being my favorite of the three. I don't really count that one album of "unreleased material " as a Samhain record because those songs were all unused Danzig demos recorded around the time of the first LP. I loved the first Danzig LP too but after that I lost interest quickly. He never put out anything worthwhile since Danzig 4 and a few of those records after that are REALLY bad.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears a strong similarity between the first Danzig LP and The Cult's - Electric.

I don't get the hate for Earth AD, I love that record.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 am

MXV wrote:I don't get the hate for Earth AD, I love that record.

Me too. My point was only that Initium was closer to the "classic" Misfits sound than EAD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby tad ghostal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:38 am

version sound wrote:I think Danzig's guitar is on plenty of Misfits records. Doyle wasn't exactly Hendrix himself.

Danzig did add guitar to pretty much all of the Misfits records. I've seen him claim it in interviews and I heard Lyle Preslar discuss it on a podcast where he talked about what he and Caroline Records went through when Caroline bought the Misfits catalog (Lyle echos Danzig's statements about how Glenn added all his own guitar playing to the other guitar players' tracks; in his opinion, Glenn's guitar playing was awful but Doyle was worse).

I love Samhain, except for maybe the Final Descent record. I think a lot of the hate has to do with the production, which is an acquired taste (especially with the first album). Production aside, those records that Samhain did are loaded with great songs. It's too bad that Glenn took them out of print.

The first 3 Danzig albums are great. I checked out when the 4th one came out but I came back to it a few years ago and it has it's moments. The last Danzig album was actually pretty good. It was more of a throw back to the old Danzig sound instead of the psuedo-industrial junk that he had been doing in the late '90s.
tad ghostal

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:20 am

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:it's more like the gothy/keyboard/chime effects i can't get into. nothing to do with the name change. i prolly like 8 to 10 samhain songs and i have listened to all of the albums plenty of times.

Those things are few and far between. Initium came out when I was 12 and still very much in a "HARDCORE ONLY" headspace and I took very little to no notice of chimes or keyboards. IIRC, they only pop up briefly on 1 or 2 songs.

i remember there being some on at least all of the albums. i guess i just don't like samhain, i would say it is mainly the production though.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:23 am

tad ghostal wrote:

Danzig did add guitar to pretty much all of the Misfits records. I've seen him claim it in interviews and I heard Lyle Preslar discuss it on a podcast where he talked about what he and Caroline Records went through when Caroline bought the Misfits catalog (Lyle echos Danzig's statements about how Glenn added all his own guitar playing to the other guitar players' tracks; in his opinion, Glenn's guitar playing was awful but Doyle was worse).
I love Samhain, except for maybe the Final Descent record. I think a lot of the hate has to do with the production, which is an acquired taste (especially with the first album). Production aside, those records that Samhain did are loaded with great songs. It's too bad that Glenn took them out of print.

The first 3 Danzig albums are great. I checked out when the 4th one came out but I came back to it a few years ago and it has it's moments. The last Danzig album was actually pretty good. It was more of a throw back to the old Danzig sound instead of the psuedo-industrial junk that he had been doing in the late '90s.

Is that the one with Howie Pyro on bass? I checked that out once and thought it was aiiight.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby tad ghostal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:54 am

No, the last album is "Deth Red Sabaoth" and Danzig actually plays bass on it.
tad ghostal

Postby Janelle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 pm

version sound wrote:No.

All Samhain is good. The first 2 or 3 Danzig records are decent too.

I'm with the VS on this. Please, I was next to this nut when he was putting this post up, I'm like, you realize I have tattoos on me that signify this ha anyway, I love Samhain and I love the first what three or four Danzig records. It's like all the stuff Chuck Biscuits was on I guess.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:38 pm

To add to my post, I wanted the skeleton with the long hair and the death cards in the hand but it was too big for where I wanted it and then I just got the Danzig skull.

Oh but "best song ever" is "Unholy Passion" (I feel for you!) and my weirdly favorite Samhain is 'Final Descent'
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby drew » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:48 pm

WrEtcH wrote:I love the Danzig/Von/Christ/Biscuits albums. Even most of the albums that followed.

if I had to rank 'em

1."Lucifuge" (II)
2."How The Gods Kill" (III)
3. DANZIG VI
4. DANZIG I

after the MISFITS ceased operations, SAMHAIN was tough to get into, but after a while, it clicked with me. I love all 3 releases. have to admit I'd rather listen to DANZIG more, but I dug the change of pace with SAMHAIN.

Totally agree. I'm a very big Samhain fan tho....Unholy Passion is an incredibly dark, heavy record & it f'n rocks. I think Glenn was great for most of his career before he became a comic book character, but that was what he wanted all along...
drew

Postby MJH » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:57 pm

MXV wrote:II'm glad I'm not the only one who hears a strong similarity between the first Danzig LP and The Cult's - Electric.

Rick Rubin seemed hell bent on turning rock bands he produced into ACDC at that time...
MJH

Postby Michele » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Samhain are incredible, one of my faves, plus first 4 Danzig albums are great... Misfits are good, but far from being the only good thing he did
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby NotBaker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm partial to that duet Glenn did that one time with Shakira:

NotBaker

Postby James » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:10 pm

NotBaker wrote:I'm partial to that duet Glenn did that one time with Shakira:

Classic.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:16 pm

MJH wrote:
MXV wrote:II'm glad I'm not the only one who hears a strong similarity between the first Danzig LP and The Cult's - Electric.

Rick Rubin seemed hell bent on turning rock bands he produced into ACDC at that time...

that is def true, it worked for that first record though.
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:47 am

Win a fuge, Lucifuge. That's what I always say.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 pm

Been listening to a bit of Danzig lately. The LZ comparisons are off, IMO. They are more like a heavy metal Doors. I listened to an interview with Damien from Samhain recently, and he said that Rick Rubin only has two modes, AC/DC mode and Slayer mode. Seems fairly accurate. He seemed to be mostly in AC/DC mode with Danzig.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse