Ramones

Ramones

Postby clash77 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Favorite record?? Leave Home for me though my fav track is "She's the one" Road to Ruin.
clash77

Re: Ramones

Postby version sound » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Probably the first one, but any of the first four will do.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby 77clash » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Ramonesmania
77clash

Postby 77clash » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Ramonesmania
77clash

Postby clash77 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:03 pm

[url][/url]
77clash wrote:Ramonesmania

You must really like this comp since you typed it twice..ha
clash77

Postby captain2man » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Rocket to Russia probably.

Most underrated is Halfway to Sanity.
captain2man

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Pleasant Dreams
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:17 pm

fave album "Road To Ruin" followed by "Pleasant Dreams" and "End Of The Century."
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby dude munhoz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 am

I like all about the ramones.
It´s Alive is the best.
Other favorites: Leave Home, Rocket To Russia, Ramones, Road To Ruin and Pleasant Dreams.
Brain Drain is more or less.
dude munhoz

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 am

first record is the best, but any of the first four and too tough to die are also awesome and worthy of mention in that category. by the mid 80s they kind of lost steam but there are still good songs on those albums. the only ones that truly suck are the last two, including the covers album.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 am

I have a soft spot for Too Tough To Die as that's when I first discovered them. I'll share an unpopular opinion - as incredibly important as the first record is from a historical perspective, I just don't like to listen to it very much.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:34 am

yourenotevil wrote:first record is the best, but any of the first four and too tough to die are also awesome and worthy of mention in that category. by the mid 80s they kind of lost steam but there are still good songs on those albums. the only ones that truly suck are the last two, including the covers album.

There's a lot of crap on Acid Eaters but the cover of "My Back Pages" with CJ on vocals seriously rocks.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 am

Fun fact - Acid Eaters is the first Ramones album I ever bought. I don't remember any of it besides the cover of "Substitute" which I think was the single.

My favorite Ramones album is "Rocket To Russia" by a HAIR. Any of the first four or five are AOK in my book.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxlwVsQ1xP8[/youtube]

This was odd but awesome when it happened.
Gary

Postby scannest » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:58 am

Gary wrote:

scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:47 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:first record is the best, but any of the first four and too tough to die are also awesome and worthy of mention in that category. by the mid 80s they kind of lost steam but there are still good songs on those albums. the only ones that truly suck are the last two, including the covers album.

There's a lot of crap on Acid Eaters but the cover of "My Back Pages" with CJ on vocals seriously rocks.

i would have to go back and listen to it, as i haven't listened to it in years. i remember thinking the who cover was decent. personally, i am just not into cover albums, esp when it is a punk band doing them since they are all going to sound the fucking same.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:02 pm

scannest wrote:
Gary wrote:

Ha ha. This was better...

Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:09 pm

clash77 wrote:Favorite record?? Leave Home for me though my fav track is "She's the one" Road to Ruin.

This except replace "She's the One" with "Don't Come Close" (also from Road to Ruin) though "Here Today Gone Tomorrow" (from Rocket to Russia) is a very close second.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:10 pm

clash77 wrote:[url][/url]
77clash wrote:Ramonesmania

You must really like this comp since you typed it twice..ha

That's how I started. It's a great comp!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:12 pm

captain2man wrote:Most underrated is Halfway to Sanity.

I actually think it may be their worst record, but "I Wanna Live" is in my Top 5 Ramones songs so it might be underrated just for having that song on there honestly.

I agree with Hunter that Pleasant Dreams is a great record (though not my favorite of theirs, it is certainly my favorite after the first four by some distance), but their most recent might be either that one or Animal Boy or maybe even Mondo Bizarro. End of the Century is underrated, too.
JGJR

Postby tango fistula » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:34 pm

1. Pleasant Dreams .First one I bought with my own cash when it came out. Sentimental winner. Best sounding Joey vocals ever. Don't Go?! Russel Mael on harmony vocals? A win. I'd LOVE to hear a real copy of the Ed Stasium demo for this one....you know...with GUITARS on it. Crap sounding MP3's don't cut it.

2. End Of The century. My Mom got me this for Xmas of 1980. Another sentimental win.14 yr old mind blown. Patchy half baked Dee-Dee toons on this. "I can't make it on time" WORKS.

3. Road To Ruin. Damn Didnt Tommy Ramone make them sound FUCKING KILLER?! Five times!!! First four and Too tough to die. Give that dude a hand!!
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:59 pm

scannest wrote:I have a soft spot for Too Tough To Die as that's when I first discovered them. I'll share an unpopular opinion - as incredibly important as the first record is from a historical perspective, I just don't like to listen to it very much.

I've never seen anyone else state it, so how could it be unpopular? Seriously, that one is often referred to as a comeback album, so I'm just not sure what you're getting at and why you think it has so much historical importance, but I'm curious.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 pm

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:I have a soft spot for Too Tough To Die as that's when I first discovered them. I'll share an unpopular opinion - as incredibly important as the first record is from a historical perspective, I just don't like to listen to it very much.

I've never seen anyone else state it, so how could it be unpopular? Seriously, that one is often referred to as a comeback album, so I'm just not sure what you're getting at and why you think it has so much historical importance, but I'm curious.

He's talking about The Ramones' first album.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 pm

JGJR wrote:

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:47 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

It was late, I was tired, etc. but yeah I obviously misread it. One could easily say how someone could think scannest was referring to Too Tough to Die (thinking he was saying that Too Tough to Die is as important historically as the first album), but I guess that would have more sense if there was a semicolon instead of a comma between "perspective" and "I"; even then, though, it wasn't 100% clear.

Regardless, sorry. I actually kind of agree. I love the s/t Ramones Lp, but have listened to Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin more over the years.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:58 am

If I had to choose only one, it would be the first. 100% hits.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:21 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

It was late, I was tired, etc. but yeah I obviously misread it. One could easily say how someone could think scannest was referring to Too Tough to Die (thinking he was saying that Too Tough to Die is as important historically as the first album), but I guess that would have more sense if there was a semicolon instead of a comma between "perspective" and "I"; even then, though, it wasn't 100% clear.

Regardless, sorry. I actually kind of agree. I love the s/t Ramones Lp, but have listened to Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin more over the years.

Maybe you're just nitpicky? :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 am

JGJR wrote:It was late, I was tired, etc. but yeah I obviously misread it.

Probably could have stopped right there. In fact, I don't think such a simple mistake warranted a response at all. But hey, to each his own.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:06 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:It was late, I was tired, etc. but yeah I obviously misread it.

Probably could have stopped right there. In fact, I don't think such a simple mistake warranted a response at all. But hey, to each his own.

As you and others on here know, brevity is not one of my strengths. :lol:

Regardless, I continued responding mainly because I wanted to address your actual point (that you don't listen to the s/t Ramones Lp and I did so later in the post.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:06 am

gregpolard wrote:Maybe you're just nitpicky? :lol:

Definitely maybe. :lol:
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:02 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

you're right, that song is awesome. the rest of the album is pretty much how i remember it though.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:38 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

you're right, that song is awesome. the rest of the album is pretty much how i remember it though.

Yep. My now-wife and I saw them on the Acid Eaters tour. It was cool to see them but they played everything way too fast. CJ was the only one who moved around at all. He was great.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:11 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Yep. My now-wife and I saw them on the Acid Eaters tour. It was cool to see them but they played everything way too fast. CJ was the only one who moved around at all. He was great.

I saw them around the same time and I basically had the same impression. Everything was played way too fast and you could barely see them up there because of their weird lighting/smoke machine stuff. This was at City Gardens.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:46 am

JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

I saw them around the same time and I basically had the same impression. Everything was played way too fast and you could barely see them up there because of their weird lighting/smoke machine stuff. This was at City Gardens.

yeah i think this was how it was the last 4 or 5 years they were around. loco live is def a little too fast for most of the songs.
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:43 am

Johnny was very proud towards the end that they would add more and more songs while playing shorter and shorter sets. 30 songs in 85 minutes? How about 33 in 80!
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:46 am

scannest wrote:Johnny was very proud towards the end that they would add more and more songs while playing shorter and shorter sets. 30 songs in 85 minutes? How about 33 in 80!

There are so many reasons why Johnny was my least favorite Ramone and there is another one.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 am

I love Johnny
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:Johnny was very proud towards the end that they would add more and more songs while playing shorter and shorter sets. 30 songs in 85 minutes? How about 33 in 80!

There are so many reasons why Johnny was my least favorite Ramone and there is another one.

They were doing that as far back as '76/'77. I remember Joe Strummer talking about it in some documentary (don't remember if it was one about Strummer, The Clash, or The Ramones).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 am

who do you hate johnny?
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:54 am

yourenotevil wrote:who do you hate johnny?

He seemed like a dick.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby tad ghostal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:57 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

They were doing that as far back as '76/'77. I remember Joe Strummer talking about it in some documentary (don't remember if it was one about Strummer, The Clash, or The Ramones).

It was probably "End of the Century", which is a really good Ramones documentary. I remember Strummer telling that story and I couldn't tell if he was impressed by that or if he thought it was ridiculous.
tad ghostal

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:03 am

As I remember it, he said it inspired the Clash to pick up the pace themselves.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 pm

I've seen every RAMONES gig in the Bay Area since "Halfway." The RAMONES have always played for an hour and 15 mins. It's never changed. I think it was "End Of The Century" where they stated that they always packed a 2 hr show into a 1 hr show. I have seen 'em play shorter on Lollapalooza and the "Escape From NY" tour.

Despite being a Republican and how he stole Lynda away from Joey, Johnny Ramone has always been my favorite RAMONE. He has always been the glue to keep 'em together even though him and Joey weren't on speaking terms.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby tango fistula » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:13 pm

The nicest Ramone to meet?

Johnny by a country mile.

The rest were nice/incoherent/spaced out but Johnny would give you his direct attention and answer whatever question you have.
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Watch End of the Century and read Mickey Leigh's autobiography I Slept with Joey Ramone. I don't hate Johnny, just to clarify, but he was by far the least likable of all of 'em even if his guitar style was massively influential on punk in general and without his work ethic, The Ramones wouldn't have been the band they were.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:13 pm

JGJR wrote:

Watch End of the Century and read Mickey Leigh's autobiography I Slept with Joey Ramone.

i think i saw end of the century but i can't remember it.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:59 am

I saw End of the Century and Johnny is still my favorite Ramone.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 am

Johnny is the Chuck Berry of punk rock - a remarkably distinctive guitarist who probably never would have played if he could have found an easier way to make a living.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:07 am

gregpolard wrote:I saw End of the Century and Johnny is still my favorite Ramone.

Thanks for another racist hate-filled post.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:58 am

scannest wrote:Johnny is the Chuck Berry of punk rock - a remarkably distinctive guitarist who probably never would have played if he could have found an easier way to make a living.

Spot on.
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse