bon scott or brian johnson

bon scott or brian johnson

Postby clash77 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:08 pm

For me its Bon.Shame it ended too soon.Brian has done well for the last 30 plus years.I have nothing but respect for the man.
clash77

Re: bon scott or brian johnson

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 pm

we should forget the voting process and just get to the juicy stuff and let the Brian fans step forward.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Gary » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Bon,no contest.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Not even being funny but I can't imagine anyone saying that they prefer Brian. While I agree that they did some awesome stuff with him (I actually really enjoyed the last LP they did about 5 years ago) nothing comes close to the Bon era. One of the best frontmen of all time.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:53 pm

gregpolard wrote:Not even being funny but I can't imagine anyone saying that they prefer Brian. While I agree that they did some awesome stuff with him (I actually really enjoyed the last LP they did about 5 years ago) nothing comes close to the Bon era. One of the best frontmen of all time.

This, though I'll add the following caveat: had Bon Scott lived, I don't think their career would've gone that much differently (though it's possible Back in Black wouldn't have been such a blockbuster as it wouldn't have existed since it was a tribute to him) or more what I mean is that their records wouldn't have sounded that different. He is lauded because he didn't make any bad records.

Also, can we all agree that Malcolm's riffs are far more crucial than Angus' lead playing?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Its a tie.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Two weeks ago, I would have said "Bon," hands down. But I picked up an ACDC live album from '91 at a CVS in the Poconos and it rules. Brian does a great job on all the songs, including the Bon numbers. I'd say they're neck and neck.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Two weeks ago, I would have said "Bon," hands down. But I picked up an ACDC live album from '91 at a CVS in the Poconos and it rules. Brian does a great job on all the songs, including the Bon numbers. I'd say they're neck and neck.

So what did you not understand about me calling it a 'tie'?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Two weeks ago, I would have said "Bon," hands down. But I picked up an ACDC live album from '91 at a CVS in the Poconos and it rules. Brian does a great job on all the songs, including the Bon numbers. I'd say they're neck and neck.

I've blocked your posts so I didn't see that.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:16 pm

I agree with JGJR. Their best stuff is with Bon, other than BIB, but that's more to do with the timing of his passing than anything lacking in Brian.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Ok, be a foe.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Ok, be a foe.

Pffft. Whatever. I'll never even see this post.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Eh. To a degree I can see that (re: Bon dying before he had a chance to be anything less than great) but he had a swagger and delivery about him that I could not see delivering the post Highway To Hell material at all. The band as a whole lost a lot of that groove after he died. The sinister rock and roll sound.

As for Malcolm, I agree that while Angus rules, Malcolm is the heart and soul of the group. Having said that, the real unsung hero in that band: Phil Rudd.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 pm

gregpolard wrote:Eh. To a degree I can see that (re: Bon dying before he had a chance to be anything less than great) but he had a swagger and delivery about him that I could not see delivering the post Highway To Hell material at all. The band as a whole lost a lot of that groove after he died. The sinister rock and roll sound.

As for Malcolm, I agree that while Angus rules, Malcolm is the heart and soul of the group. Having said that, the real unsung hero in that band: Phil Rudd.

Giving the drummer some, though I'm sure VS will say he's replaceable. :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Bon Scott of course! However Back in Black is one hell of an amazing album and I don't think it would have sounded like that with Bon singing at all. This is a rare example of a band changing singers and still kicking ass, which very few bands in history have done.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby clash77 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 pm

MXV wrote:Bon Scott of course! Howeve..r Back in Black is one hell of an amazing album and I don't think it would have sounded like that with Bon singing at all. This is a rare example of a band changing singers and still kicking ass, which very few bands in history have done.
yes! i agree..any idea where i can get
A copy of the Scabs "amory buidings" ep?? tough record to find?
clash77

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 pm

that has to be one of the best recorded live albums of all time. killer production and playing all around. chris slade was so much better than rudd, so was simon wright. rudd was better suited to the bon era stuff, but slade took them to another level. i think the last couple of albums are pretty limp(at least since ballbreaker), but i don't get people who bitch about johnson since all of the albums are essentially the same. the production just got better and so did the drumming. highway to hell was a huge album and i think back in black would have been as big either way. his death was a good story behind it, but those songs were just instant singles. you can still go into some shitty college bar and the dj will play non rock music all night and still play shook me all night and the crowd will go nuts. i prolly like bon better since the albums had a rougher edge, but for those about the rock is one of their best albums too.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:40 am

I've always thought the signs were there of what was to come on Highway To Hell,and reckon whatever was coming next would not have been as good as before even if Bon had lived. The production etc was very different,and I read an interview years ago with Angus where he said they pretty much changed how they wrote songs and played in the 80's.

My only real problem with Johnson is that he's not Bon(very harsh and unfair,I know),seems a likeable person especially for who he is and how famous he is etc.

I have a Geordie lp and like it a lot.

Gary

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:14 am

yourenotevil wrote:

that has to be one of the best recorded live albums of all time. killer production and playing all around.

Yeah, it sounds so good that I wonder how much of it was recorded in a studio after the tour was over. Either way, it rules.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Welly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:48 am

I don't understand the question.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:51 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

that has to be one of the best recorded live albums of all time. killer production and playing all around.

Yeah, it sounds so good that I wonder how much of it was recorded in a studio after the tour was over. Either way, it rules.

judging from what i know about ac/dc, i would be willing to bet that it is totally live. bruce faurbairn produced razor and the live lp, and i think they made it a painstaking process to record their live shows as live(no studio tricks) back then.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:07 am

I love that '91/'92 live record too! Great versions of classic tunes and I have a real weakness for the pop-metal singles AC/DC put out around that time ("Heatseeker", "Money Talks". "Thunderstruck").
FWIW, that record was recorded with that big bald dude from The Firm on drums. Not sure when Phil Rudd returned, but I don't feel he was missed in any serious way.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 am

scannest wrote:I love that '91/'92 live record too! Great versions of classic tunes and I have a real weakness for the pop-metal singles AC/DC put out around that time ("Heatseeker", "Money Talks". "Thunderstruck").
FWIW, that record was recorded with that big bald dude from The Firm on drums. Not sure when Phil Rudd returned, but I don't feel he was missed in any serious way.

I also love that live album but prefer "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)" as far as their live albums go. Rudd returned around 1995 when they did "Ballbreaker". There's a pretty funny story in this one AC/DC book I read where Rollins talks about Rick Rubin inviting him to watch them record.
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 am

I would guess, if Bon Scott had lived on, he would have drank himself to death by 1985.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Michele » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:13 am

Bon for me, nothing against Brian, but Bon was the thing!
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Gary » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:I also love that live album but prefer "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)" as far as their live albums go.

Live at Atlantic Studios is my favourite. I remember recording it from the radio and playing the tape to death and then eventually I got a bootleg cd of it in the early 90's. Of course it then showed up officially in the Bonfire box.
Gary

Postby tango fistula » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 am

It's obvious no ones gonna pick Johnson...regardless of his solid
tenure and heroic stepping up and drilling one out of the park
on "Back in Black"...
Any of you oldsters remember how dominant that record was in the summer of 1980?
Anyways...Johnson didnt always have that nasty screech he developed around "Flick of the Switch"
check out this Geordie toon...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7B6viKzUQ
From that clip it sounds like the Young brothers made an inspired choice for Scott's replacement...
tango fistula

Postby Michele » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:54 pm

johnson was a great choice and I loved back in black and for those about to rock, but I was so much in love with bon era records that it is a no way match...
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I know who LAD will pick. I have to do the same-BON :mrgreen:

Not that I dislike Brian-was just watching "Live at River Plate" and thought it was awesome.
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse