D.O.A.

D.O.A.

Postby tango fistula » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:35 am

G'head...throw "Bloodied but Unbowed" on...betcha its been a good while since ya had
or maybe you haven't yet?
Here's a band who seriously whupped ass for a good six years (especially LIVE) and gets NO love...
They had one of the top three drummers the north american punk scene ever produced
and thats enuff of a reason to visit.
tango fistula

Re: D.O.A.

Postby James » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:54 am

I still love old DOA, not too crazy about anything after War On 45 except for a few songs here and there. I saw their "last show" back in november, and it was pretty good. Not the most loved band on this board, but I know there's a few fans on here.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby Welly » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:03 pm

One of the greats!
Welly

Postby creature » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 pm

One of my faves, especially the early stuff... the new record has some good tunes and they always deliver live.
Here's a couple of blog stories my wife and I did, if you missed 'em.
cheers

http://theressomethinghardinthere.blogs ... rades.html

http://theressomethinghardinthere.blogs ... -with.html
creature

Postby tango fistula » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I didn't even mention the positive action politics they were involved in
from 1977 on...

Multifaceted for sure!

D.O.A.'s deficit is that they put out 5 mediocre LP's in a row and diluted the brand.
tango fistula

Postby Gary » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm

My introduction to them was Bloodied But Unbowed,a friend bought it and didn't like it so gave it to me. I loved it. Loved the early stuff ever since.
Only saw them once,mid 90's or so,and they were incredible,just played hit after hit.

First few records are as good as any band. Seems to be a sound no one does these days,at least not well. (please someone correct me on this and introduce me to some killer punk)
Gary

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Welly wrote:One of the greats!

This. Everything up through and including even Let's Wreck the Party (which I know a lot of folks don't like but The Dawning of a New Error was my intro to them, so I have a soft spot for it) is fantastic. I'm not as familiar with their later stuff aside from a few albums, but what I've heard has been hit and miss.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Jimmy Heartburn is the DOA expert, he'll be able to tell you which ones are decent.

Past the LWTP era I have one called Murder from the early 90's (it's pretty dreadful), a live record from that era that's listenable but only in retrospect (it was my first record of theirs and turned me off them for a few years) and Northern Avenger from 2008, which I don't remember a thing about and maybe listened to twice.

They're coming through town in September for the Farewell Tour nonsense but since it's at Reggies and it's an old punk band they've put on absolutely awful openers. It'll definitely be a night where I spend most of it on the bar in the separate room.
Bill

Postby James » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am

Lewdd is also a DOA expert, probably more than me in many ways because I think he owns all their records. True North Strong And Free from 1987 wasn't a bad album. It has their cover of BTO's "Taking Care Of Business" on it, which I totally dig.
James

Postby Welly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:51 am

I think I pretty have it all. Of the later stuff my money's on Northern Avenger as a standout. I guess having Randy Rampage back for that one had something to do with it. And Bob Rock produced it, if that means anything to you.
Welly

Postby James » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 pm

I'll give Shithead props for constantly writing and recording new music over the years and not just milking the "classic" stuff like so many bands do. But then again, it's not like they split up for 15-20 years and got back together to cash in.
James

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:47 pm

They are playing here in Sept. I'm going to the Providence, RI show that also features The F.U.'s. Should be epic :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Bill wrote:Jimmy Heartburn is the DOA expert, he'll be able to tell you which ones are decent.

Past the LWTP era I have one called Murder from the early 90's (it's pretty dreadful), a live record from that era that's listenable but only in retrospect (it was my first record of theirs and turned me off them for a few years) and Northern Avenger from 2008, which I don't remember a thing about and maybe listened to twice.

They're coming through town in September for the Farewell Tour nonsense but since it's at Reggies and it's an old punk band they've put on absolutely awful openers. It'll definitely be a night where I spend most of it on the bar in the separate room.

Yeah Murder and True (North), Strong and Free are both pretty dreadful. I have also heard Northern Avenger, which is much more recent and much better than those but not on par with the classics. I have never heard any of the albums in between, though (just songs here and there).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Welly wrote: And Bob Rock produced it, if that means anything to you.

Uh hell yeah Subhumans, Pointed Sticks, early D.O.A., etc. Well before he fucked up Metallica he was the producer of choice in the Vancouver punk scene!

To be fair, I like some of the hard rock records he produced like The Cult's Sonic Temple, too.
JGJR

Postby James » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:30 pm

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote: And Bob Rock produced it, if that means anything to you.

Uh hell yeah Subhumans, Pointed Sticks, early D.O.A., etc. Well before he fucked up Metallica he was the producer of choice in the Vancouver punk scene!

To be fair, I like some of the hard rock records he produced like The Cult's Sonic Temple, too.

Plus he was in the Payolas!

James

Postby Knutsen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 am

Although written by the Subhumans. D.O.A.s version of "Fuck You!" is in my top 5 best Punk songs ever.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby James » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:47 am

Knutsen wrote:Although written by the Subhumans. D.O.A.s version of "Fuck You!" is in my top 5 best Punk songs ever.

Have you ever heard the original version, recorded by pre-Subhumans band The Stiffs?

James

Postby Knutsen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 am

James wrote:
Knutsen wrote:Although written by the Subhumans. D.O.A.s version of "Fuck You!" is in my top 5 best Punk songs ever.

Have you ever heard the original version, recorded by pre-Subhumans band The Stiffs?

Ah, yes. I forgot.
Fuck You! :D
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Janelle » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:26 am

Who are you? We know very well about D.O.A. on this board, thanks love.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Nice.
Welly

Postby Gary » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:30 pm

James wrote:

I have this on the Vancouver Evolution 7". A great comp.
Gary

Postby James » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:19 pm

I have that 7" too. Those songs were taken from the double CD compilation "Last Call: Vancouver Independent Music 1977-1988". Most of the punk is on the first half of disc one, but there's some other good stuff on there as well. Too bad there wasn't any metal or hardcore on it though, but I guess Vancouver didn't really have any notable metal bands in the 80's.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Last-Call-Vancouver-Independent-Music-1977-1988/release/625062
James

Postby Gary » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Wasn't aware of that cd.
Gary

Postby NotBaker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:31 pm

I like them. I'll be seeing them live (for the first time) in September.
NotBaker

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 pm

I forgot to note above that I have seen them live twice. The first time was at CBGBs in the fall of 2004 and then I saw them again back in 2009 or 2010 at a place here called the M Room. I enjoy them each time, but don't necessarily feel like I'd have to see them again unless Randy (wish I'd caught them when he played with them in recent years) and Chuck came back or something.
JGJR

Postby clash77 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:33 pm

tango fistula wrote:G'head...throw "Bloodied but Unbowed" on...betcha its been a good while since ya had
or maybe you haven't yet?
Here's a band who seriously whupped ass for a good six years (especially LIVE) and gets NO love...
They had one of the top three drummers the north american punk scene ever produced
and thats enuff of a reason to visit.
ok dude..is this quote a D.O.A retard quiz??? Like we don't know what you're talking about? haha Thanks for the info captain obvious!!
clash77

Postby The Snake » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Just found out this old thread, ha ha!

D. O. A. was one of the first bands that introduced me to hardcore punk, back in early 90’s.
I think that D. O. A. is the band that I have the most records in original format.
I like everything until and including Lets Wreck The Party but also like some 90’s D. O. A. records like Loggerheads and Black Spot but even 13 Flavours Of Doom is not that bad. The album with Jello Biafra also rules.
I saw them once live in Ljubljana, Slovenia in 1998. They were absolutely great, playing retrospective material from Disco Sucks to newer songs. I don’t remember except Joey who else was in that line up but I remember they were 3 piece then.
The Snake

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:47 pm

they just hung around way too long. the guy from marginal man nails in it the american hardcore book by saying something to the effect of they put out so many shitty records starting with wreck the party that no one paid attention anymore. their first couple of records are great hardcore though.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby lewdd » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Joey still puts on a great show.
lewdd

Postby dave123 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 am

I really should have seen this band when I lived in Canada. They came through town a load of times, but I just never bothered to check them out. Obviously, I am not a huge fan. For some reason, most of my friends were not into them either. The drunk punks in the scene were always down with this band, so maybe that was it. The first few ep's are stellar though.
dave123

Postby johnnotkathi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:26 am

Love DOA!! Saw them play about all of Hardcore 81 in 81....sure I saw them a lot before that too....they were in SF a lot.....
johnnotkathi

Postby johnnotkathi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:27 am

johnnotkathi wrote:Love DOA!! Saw them play about all of Hardcore 81 in 81....sure I saw them a lot before that too....they were in SF a lot.....

Hardcore 81 is on of my favorite records of all time....
johnnotkathi

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:18 am

johnnotkathi wrote:
johnnotkathi wrote:Love DOA!! Saw them play about all of Hardcore 81 in 81....sure I saw them a lot before that too....they were in SF a lot.....

Hardcore 81 is on of my favorite records of all time....

That one is my favorite of theirs, too. Everything up to and including that one is pure gold (the early singles are probably the absolute best, but that's difficult to assess), but I like it all up to and including Let's Wreck the Party. The two after that never did much for me and I remember kinda liking the record with Jello Biafra but aside from a song or two, I'm not familiar at all with most of their subsequent stuff.
JGJR

Return to daghouse