- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Double Negative is calling it quits

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:45 am

Agreed.
Chris Shary

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:47 am

i wish i had seen them last summer, but the show got moved to another place and i couldnt make it in time. didn't love them, but they were good.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:32 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i wish i had seen them last summer, but the show got moved to another place and i couldnt make it in time. didn't love them, but they were good.

This is kind of how I feel. I like them OK, but am glad I caught them opening for OFF! last year as I think that I really "got" them after seeing them live and that's really where they shined.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm suuuuuuuuuuuper bummed about this. The vocalist switch was pretty seamless but since Walsby quit it seems like they were looking for a new drummer every few months so I can't really blame them for quitting.

Definitely one of the best HC groups of all time.
Bill

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Bill wrote:Definitely one of the best HC groups of all time.

Sometimes, you're the only one who gets it around here.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 pm

version sound wrote:
Bill wrote:Definitely one of the best HC groups of all time.

Sometimes, you're the only one who gets it around here.

Sometimes, you're both nuckin' futs. DN are a'ight and all, but wow if you both seriously think that.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Best hardcore band of the last 20 years...at least.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:26 am

I need to hear these guys again. I know VS sent me a link to some songs a while back.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 am

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:46 am

version sound wrote:Best hardcore band of the last 20 years...at least.

i know older guys seem to really love these dudes for some reason, but i can't back this statement.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:47 am

Well, with the first LP, they managed to capture the spirit of '80s hardcore without just being revivalists. I haven't heard another record that really managed that. The second LP is one of the only records I've heard in over 25 years that pushed the boundaries of hardcore without just simply adding an element of some other genre.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:30 am

version sound wrote:Well, with the first LP, they managed to capture the spirit of '80s hardcore without just being revivalists. I haven't heard another record that really managed that. The second LP is one of the only records I've heard in over 25 years that pushed the boundaries of hardcore without just simply adding an element of some other genre.

i listened to daydream nation this morning. while i think it is a good album, i just don't click with this band the way others seem to do. as for my old comment, i meant more as in guys who saw first wave hc bands or close to it seem to really love these dudes. i have a feeling they were prolly a little more intense live.
yourenotevil

Postby James » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:51 am

yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:Well, with the first LP, they managed to capture the spirit of '80s hardcore without just being revivalists. I haven't heard another record that really managed that. The second LP is one of the only records I've heard in over 25 years that pushed the boundaries of hardcore without just simply adding an element of some other genre.

i listened to daydream nation this morning. while i think it is a good album, i just don't click with this band the way others seem to do.

That's kinda how I feel about DN as well. I don't think they were terrible by any means, but for some reason I just couldn't get into them.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 am

To me, they really encapsulated that early C.O.C. meets Subculture sound. Seemed like because they were NC vets, they just picked up where they left off, plugged in and didn't have to try to be 'revivalists', as it came naturally.
Welly

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:36 pm

James wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

i listened to daydream nation this morning. while i think it is a good album, i just don't click with this band the way others seem to do.

That's kinda how I feel about DN as well. I don't think they were terrible by any means, but for some reason I just couldn't get into them.

It took me a while to really get into that one, but I like it better than the first one now.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:56 pm

yourenotevil wrote:

i listened to daydream nation this morning. while i think it is a good album, i just don't click with this band the way others seem to do. as for my old comment, i meant more as in guys who saw first wave hc bands or close to it seem to really love these dudes. i have a feeling they were prolly a little more intense live.

They were more intense live and on record and I enjoyed them more that way personally.
JGJR

Return to daghouse