Scream - Banging the Drum

Re: Scream - Banging the Drum

Postby gregpolard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 pm

This Kingface is tight!

I also listened to "Banging The Drum" when I jogged this morning. It was awesome.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:08 pm

How many miles did you complete before BTD ended?

what kinda shoes were you wearing?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 pm

lewdd wrote:How many miles did you complete before BTD ended?

what kinda shoes were you wearing?

Funny you ask. I was doing pretty well over the summer and then work got in the way so this was my first week back at it.

So in other words...not many
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Digging into this album for the first time to prep for the next End on End which we're recording in a couple of days.

Quite a shift from Still Screaming & This Side Up - but being that I like ROCK....I dig this album.

And - oh - Mineshaft Burning might be the best Cheap Trick song that Cheap Trick didn't write.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:05 pm

Mineshaft Burning / The Sing It Up Kidz would have been a good single. They should have stopped there with this release. Although Choke Word sounds a bit like Dag musically.
lewdd

Postby captain2man » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:46 pm

It's downhill after this? I'm honestly not familiar past the first two records.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:24 pm

I gave a quick listen to Rumble on Bandcamp and I never have to listen to a song on that album again.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:10 am

captain2man wrote:It's downhill after this? I'm honestly not familiar past the first two records.

No More Censorship sounds like cock rock to me, but I've yet to hear the remaster from a few years ago, which is supposedly a lot better. I've never heard Fumble, but I really like the Complete Control Sessions 10" they released about a decade ago or so. I think you'd dig it if you like BTD or even This Side Up. I like BTD, too, but haven't heard it in a long time. I had a copy and gave it to Greg iirc.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:12 am

1) every Scream record is really good at worst and great at best
1a) I used to not be too into NMC but the reissue on Southern Lord changed that and now I love both versions
2) JGJR you’re partially correct. My copy of Banging The Drum was procured by you for me but I did pay for it. IIRC it was like $15 haha
3) Speaking of BTD, that’s the next End on End episode
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:19 am

I invented rock and roll. Thank me now or later.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:33 am

JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:It's downhill after this? I'm honestly not familiar past the first two records.

No More Censorship sounds like cock rock to me, but I've yet to hear the remaster from a few years ago, which is supposedly a lot better.

It’s actually not just a remaster, it’s a remix. It’s definitely better than the original.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:44 am

I’ve heard that Franz did all new guitar tracks as well.
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 pm

gregpolard wrote:1) every Scream record is really good at worst and great at best

Agreed,although the first two are better than great
Gary

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Gary wrote:
gregpolard wrote:1) every Scream record is really good at worst and great at best

cough*Fumble*cough
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 am

version sound wrote:
Gary wrote:

cough*Fumble*cough

i LOVE Fumble. First one I heard.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:52 am

Right up there with Yellowcard
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:02 am

lewdd wrote:Right up there with Yellowcard

I don't listen to Yellowcard? hahaha

Keep in mind, as I said above, "Fumble" was my intro to the band because of the Dave Grohl connection so it has a soft spot for me.
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 am

Does anyone know my standard line about Scream?

So I bought the NMC-17 record yesterday. I had never heard it. I like a good percentage of No More Censorship to begin with, but I agree that it's better. The two songs that weren't on the original record are pretty good. There are still a couple of clunkers but the mix or master or dubs or whatever it is definitely improves the (rather tame in comparison) original. I like the new track order as well. It's starts with the two best songs.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:17 am

pedro wrote:Does anyone know my standard line about Scream?

Pray tell.

I like everything by Scream except Fumble. That one’s a little too “rock” for me. Even the original NMC is better, IMO.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:21 am

version sound wrote:Pray tell.

"Even the dumb stuff rocks."
Hello.
pedro

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am

Even on a thread about Banging The Drum, it's hard to actually get anyone to actually talk about this album. More talk here about NMC & Fumble than BtD.

My research on this album leads me to believe that BTD is the "ghost" of their catalog....hard to find too much commentary from anyone....even on a message board thread specifically about the album with posts by people who are presumably Scream fans.
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 am

captain2man wrote:Even on a thread about Banging The Drum, it's hard to actually get anyone to actually talk about this album. More talk here about NMC & Fumble than BtD.

My research on this album leads me to believe that BTD is the "ghost" of their catalog....hard to find too much commentary from anyone....even on a message board thread specifically about the album with posts by people who are presumably Scream fans.

Gotta agree! I did talk about it with Brian yesterday and talked about specific songs and such :)
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:24 am

gregpolard wrote:
captain2man wrote:Even on a thread about Banging The Drum, it's hard to actually get anyone to actually talk about this album. More talk here about NMC & Fumble than BtD.

Gotta agree! I did talk about it with Brian yesterday and talked about specific songs and such :)

version sound wrote:BTD is pretty great, but nowhere near as good as TSU, which is their best record.

Not sure what else to say about it. I saw them around the time it came out and enjoyed it, but don’t actually remember their set that well. They were opening for Fugazi, and that was where my real focus was. BTD is a good record, but not their best, by a long shot. The fact that it came after TSU and was nowhere near as good probably led to a lot of people filing it away after a few listens.

Scream Record Ranking (slightly revised after listening to BTD and NMC-17 today)

1. This Side Up
2. Still Screaming
3/4. NMC-17/Banging the Drum (tie)
5. No More Censorship
10. Fumble
Last edited by version sound on Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:07 am

They should have used a different name for that Fumble LP as it has stained their legacy.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:11 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

version sound wrote:BTD is pretty great, but nowhere near as good as TSU, which is their best record.

Not sure what else to say about it. I saw them around the time it came out and enjoyed it, but don’t actually remember their set that well. They were opening for Fugazi, and that was where my real focus was. BTD is a good record, but not their best, by a long shot. The fact that it came after TSU and was nowhere near as good probably led to a lot of people filing it away after a few listens.

Scream Record Ranking:

1. This Side Up
2. Still Screaming
3. NMC-17
4. Banging the Drum
5. No More Censorship
10. Fumble

To use one of your lines, when is the last time you listened to "Fumble"? the song "Rain" is fantastic.
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 pm

1. This Side Up
2. Still Screaming
3 doesnt matter from here,they are all great
Gary

Postby Gary » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:28 pm

Just listened to the episode of End on End about this record. Just thought I should mention,the Walkin By Myself/Chokeword 7",has the mostly acoustic to rock ending version of Chokeword. I'd have to dig it out to see if it's a completely different version,or if it has everything edited out to leave jus tthe acoustic guitar. I've not played it in years.

That 7" was also my introduction to Scream. Maybe that's why I like the later stuff so much.
Gary

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm

Gary wrote:That 7" was also my introduction to Scream. Maybe that's why I like the later stuff so much.

I got lucky with Scream, Still Screaming was repressed in the early days of my Dischord obsession (1983, according to Discogs), so I got to hear all their records in order.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 am

Finally back to work after a little over a week off.

Listening to the "End on End" episode on this album now. I really enjoy listening to the assessment from Jeff and Brian. I'm with you, Jeff. The more I listen to this, the more I honestly love the album. Was glad to be a part of this one!
gregpolard

Previous

Return to daghouse