Scream - Banging the Drum

Scream - Banging the Drum

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:46 pm

I played this today after recently procuring a copy for a friend. It's way better than I remember it being. In fact, I might say it's the equal of This Side Up or close to it. I thought it would be more cock-rock-ish like some of their other late '80s stuff or some of Wool's stuff and thus much less enjoyable, but it is their equivalent of New Wind or Praise, at least in spots. There's a very heavy Revolution Summer vibe to it as well. I wonder why this record has always had such an iffy reputation. I knew Greg and akissfan (if he's reading this) are fans, but anyone else?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Scream - Banging the Drum

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 pm

BTD is pretty great, but nowhere near as good as TSU, which is their best record. That's a fact, jack.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:11 pm

I told you! But one place where you're wrong is dissing WOOL, who were awesome. If you like Complete Control Sessions there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy the Wool stuff.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 am

I love all the Scream records,and the two Wool records I have a great too(I really just see them as a continuation of Scream). There was a Wool record that came out a few years ago I never heard. It's probably great too.
Gary

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 am

I've still never heard Wool.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Michele » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:01 pm

love scream, just liek nowadays I love goatsnake, so I guess I should check wool right?
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Michele wrote:love scream, just liek nowadays I love goatsnake, so I guess I should check wool right?

Definitely, Michele. You won't regret it. They're out of print, so I don't have a problem uploading links if you'd care. I have: Box Set LP, Budspawn EP and Mayday 7". Let me know.

To me the only thing the Stahl bros. have done together that I just can't really get into is "No More Censorship". I've tried a couple times. I think "Fumble" that came after it is way better.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:32 pm

gregpolard wrote:
Michele wrote:love scream, just liek nowadays I love goatsnake, so I guess I should check wool right?

Definitely, Michele. You won't regret it. They're out of print, so I don't have a problem uploading links if you'd care. I have: Box Set LP, Budspawn EP and Mayday 7". Let me know.

To me the only thing the Stahl bros. have done together that I just can't really get into is "No More Censorship". I've tried a couple times. I think "Fumble" that came after it is way better.

no more censorship was a steaming hot pile of shit which for some reason i own on vinyl. BTD is just ok. if scream had stopped after the second album it would be a flawless legacy. fumble has some good songs and i liked the last record too.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Turns out there were two recentish Wool lps. Lunar Momento Lost Rancho Session vol 1 and 2.

The song "Bald Singers" from the second one(I'm listening on Spotify) was redone on the Scream 10".
Gary

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:52 pm

A solid release-hope to see Scream live in 2014 :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:59 pm

YNE- I will take that record off your hands...
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:34 am

Saw them live again in 2012 , I think. Still as powerful as ever. Great Band!
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby drew » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 am

I always liked BTD, it was my first exposure to Scream. Side 2 is pretty exceptional. Great rock record.
drew

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 am

drew wrote:I always liked BTD, it was my first exposure to Scream. Side 2 is pretty exceptional. Great rock record.

Side 2 > Side 1 for sure! Sing It Up Kidz is a favorite.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:46 am

Knutsen wrote:Saw them live again in 2012 , I think. Still as powerful as ever. Great Band!

agreed, they are still really good.
yourenotevil

Postby danny » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 am

my favorite is still the first lp.

unknown fact: the album was originally going to be called "Bang the Maid" - but skeeter made them change the name.

(just kidding)
danny

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:09 am

gregpolard wrote:YNE- I will take that record off your hands...

if i had it on me i would sell it. if you are patient you can find one for under 10 bucks on ebay.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:12 am

I like "Still Screaming" best as well, but think "This Side Up" is a worthy follow up.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 am

gregpolard wrote:I like "Still Screaming" best as well, but think "This Side Up" is a worthy follow up.

just listened to this again, apart from a few songs i still think is pretty mediocre.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 am

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I like "Still Screaming" best as well, but think "This Side Up" is a worthy follow up.

just listened to this again, apart from a few songs i still think is pretty mediocre.

This Side Up???? You're out of your mind. For starters, "This Side Up", "I Look When You Walk" and "Bet You Never Thought" are the three best songs they ever recorded.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:03 am

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

This Side Up???? You're out of your mind. For starters, "This Side Up", "I Look When You Walk" and "Bet You Never Thought" are the three best songs they ever recorded.

i meant BTD. no, this side up is really good, i like the first lp the best though. fumble is way better after a quick revisit than BTD is.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 am

Thank God. I thought everyone was going crazy. Still Screaming might be my favorite if it was shorter. It's not that long, but it starts to drag around halfway through for some reason.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 am

i think the 1st album was one of the earlier dc records i heard, so it always had a special meaning to me. i think TSI was a strong follow up. it's not like BTD the the later albums were so awful, but they kind of got too rock n roll for my tastes. the live lps offer better version of the songs, but that ain't saying much.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I like Still Screaming the best, but it is definitely close with This Side Up (which is great, too). I can't get into No More Censorship at all. I did give the Wool stuff a cursory listen at some point in the last few years, but need to go back to it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Michele » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:31 pm

gregpolard wrote:

yes please :)
Michele

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 am

Okie doke. I'm on it!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 am

Since these are long out of print, I hope no one minds that I just post them in here. If it's a problem please let me know and I'll remove them. Just figured it's easier to post here that way anyone who's interested can check 'em out. Since these are sendspace links, they'll die after a couple weeks anyway once no one uses them.

Wool "Box Set" LP : http://www.sendspace.com/file/wxdax7

Wool "Budspawn" EP : http://www.sendspace.com/file/klgirc

Wool "Mayday" 7" vinyl rip (c/o our own JGJR!) : http://www.sendspace.com/file/e7k26b
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks Greg. Listening to Box Set right now. I probably would have liked this a lot in 1990, but it strikes me as a little too FM alterna-rock at this point.

I'll say this, though, Franz's tone is exquisite.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:16 am

version sound wrote:Thanks Greg. Listening to Box Set right now. I probably would have liked this a lot in 1990, but it strikes me as a little too FM alterna-rock at this point.

I love that they had Chris Bratton from Chain of Strength / Inside Out on drums too. It's a solid record but I still like Scream more.
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:57 pm

gregpolard wrote:Okie doke. I'm on it!

thanks a million :)
Michele

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:34 pm

Been on a big SCREAM kick of late so I wanted to bring this back to life.

A couple things I'll add that have changed over the years:

1) I like No More Censorship now BUT that's because of the new mix on Southern Lord. It's one of the few cases where I feel like a revisit like this was worth it. Hearing the songs in this way made me appreciate the original more than I did 6-7 years ago (I'm listening to it right now - it's still my least favorite of theirs)

2) On most days I take "This Side Up" just evvvvvvvvvver so slightly over the first LP. Both are pure gold, though.

3) "Banging The Drum" needs a reissue / remaster or at the very least, tracks on spotify.

4) I am way behind on podcasts but I just listened to both parts of End On End discussing the first LP - really interesting stuff!
gregpolard

Postby Marc M » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:43 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:Thanks Greg. Listening to Box Set right now. I probably would have liked this a lot in 1990, but it strikes me as a little too FM alterna-rock at this point.

I love that they had Chris Bratton from Chain of Strength / Inside Out on drums too. It's a solid record but I still like Scream more.

Wool live w/Bratton were amazing. Those were his peak years.
Marc M

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Marc M wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Wool live w/Bratton were amazing. Those were his peak years.

He's so awesome.

Also, does anyone have any/all of the live albums on mp3? I used to but can't seem to find them.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:30 pm

If you are talking Scream, I have the following in mp3 but unsure of the quality of them.

1987 Club Pizazz
1988 Van Hall
1990 Oberhaus
Complete Control Session
Black Cat
West Germany
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:31 pm

lewdd wrote:If you are talking Scream, I have the following in mp3 but unsure of the quality of them.

1987 Club Pizazz
1988 Van Hall
1990 Oberhaus
Complete Control Session
Black Cat
West Germany

I have Complete Control but nothing else!
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:54 pm

BTM was the first Scream I owned after hearing the second album, because it's the only one I could find at the time. I remember buying it and forcing myself to pretend to like it even though it absolutely sucked.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:53 am

yourenotevil wrote:no more censorship was a steaming hot pile of shit which for some reason i own on vinyl.

x2. I bought it in probably 1989, or whenever it originally came out, and had it for probably a decade and listened to it maybe twice, thought it was meh, and filed it away. Then one day it dawned on me that Grohl was on it... I went and pulled it out and listened to it again, and promptly re-affirmed my original opinion, and have not listened to it again since. Seems like it goes for around $25-$30 on discogs these days, maybe I'll take it up to my local re-sale vinyl place and see if they'll take it off my hands.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:22 am

jaybird wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:no more censorship was a steaming hot pile of shit which for some reason i own on vinyl.

x2. I bought it in probably 1989, or whenever it originally came out, and had it for probably a decade and listened to it maybe twice, thought it was meh, and filed it away. Then one day it dawned on me that Grohl was on it... I went and pulled it out and listened to it again, and promptly re-affirmed my original opinion, and have not listened to it again since. Seems like it goes for around $25-$30 on discogs these days, maybe I'll take it up to my local re-sale vinyl place and see if they'll take it off my hands.

Try the NMC17 version on Southern Lord. You might be surprised. The mix is way different and tracklisting rearranged
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:34 am

I heard NMC in a record store when it was new, which was enough to discourage me from actually buying it. I bought the Southern Lord remix, which I do like. I have not revisited the original, so I don’t know if I would like it now too, or if it was the remix that did it. Probably the latter?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 pm

PS: GREG! Where do you stand on King Face? If you love Scream and Soul Side, you really need some King Face in your life.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:56 pm

My problems with NMC are not about the how the record was mixed or how the track listing was arranged. It's that the songs on it are pretty bad.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:04 pm

version sound wrote:PS: GREG! Where do you stand on King Face? If you love Scream and Soul Side, you really need some King Face in your life.

Never really heard except maybe in passing? What's one to check out?
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:05 pm

I like the following on NMC

Fucked without a Kiss
Take It from the Top
Something in My Head
lewdd

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Anyway, seems like we had a more in-depth discussion about NMC here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3674
jaybird

Postby creature » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:38 pm

WOOL were an absolute beast live! First saw them with Peter Moffett on drums and then Bratton.
The records are killer as well.
One of our all-time faves, for sure.
creature

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:46 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:PS: GREG! Where do you stand on King Face? If you love Scream and Soul Side, you really need some King Face in your life.

The singer, Mark Sullivan, fronted the Slinkees (Jeff and Ian’s first band), and is Bobby’s older brother. There was a discography CD, but it’s OOP and pricey used. Their self-titled, self-released 12” is pretty cheap on the used market (so cheap that I’ve often considered buying a second copy). In the ‘80s we thought of them as DC punk under the influence of Van Halen, but a cross between Soul Side and Scream’s more rockin’ moments might be more accurate. Here’s a little taste:

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:27 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

The singer, Mark Sullivan, fronted the Slinkees (Jeff and Ian’s first band), and is Bobby’s older brother. There was a discography CD, but it’s OOP and pricey used. Their self-titled, self-released 12” is pretty cheap on the used market (so cheap that I’ve often considered buying a second copy). In the ‘80s we thought of them as DC punk under the influence of Van Halen, but a cross between Soul Side and Scream’s more rockin’ moments might be more accurate. Here’s a little taste:

Kingface were/(are?) fucking GREAT. I had an original copy of their 6 song 12" and not only did I wear it out, but I wore out my TAPED copy. Ridiculously wonderful record. 'Crawl Into Tomorrow' was (almost) everything I ever wanted my band's music to sound like. The CD collection with the dye cut cover was a work of art as well.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Gary » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:52 pm

gregpolard wrote:
3) "Banging The Drum" needs a reissue / remaster or at the very least, tracks on spotify.

It is on bandcamp if you just want to stream it
Gary

Postby Gary » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I love the first King Face 12",the second wasn't nearly as good
Gary

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:06 pm

I agree with both Midge and Gary, though there is no such thing as bad King Face, IMO. One of the great joys of my life was seeing them play songs from the early practice tape/demo at one of the Salad Days shows.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Next

Return to daghouse