Slaughter And The Dogs!!!!! Hyperventilatiooon!

Slaughter And The Dogs!!!!! Hyperventilatiooon!

Postby Janelle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Okay, so I'm on the phone with one of my fellow Last Hope Animal Rescue volunteers and I check my email and... Slaughter is playing!!!!!!! I saw them at CB's in like '03 or something and it was great! And I didn't think they were ever coming back 'cause it was so long and I'm really nutty hyper and excited right now! They're playing at little Grand Victory March 13 where we saw Angry Samoans last year and CH3 in Oct!!! Ahhhhhh
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Re: Slaughter And The Dogs!!!!! Hyperventilatiooon!

Postby MJH » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Cool. Maybe they can play Boston Babies in Boston if they go there!
MJH

Postby Janelle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 pm

You know what they never played that first time and I'm in NYC? Hell In New York it's like come on. And that's an awesome song by itself anyway!!
Janelle

Postby MikeD » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:08 am

The band I play in with my Brother in Law covered "Situations"

MikeD

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 am

Yeah....they were great at CB's in '03!

Very cool that they're coming back over.
captain2man

Postby clash77 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 am

JGJR they're playing with the Pagan Babies sat march 15 in philly..Kung Fu Necktie I think..Ever been there??..Excited about the NYC gig..We will be there for sure..
clash77

Postby JGJR » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:49 pm

clash77 wrote:JGJR they're playing with the Pagan Babies sat march 15 in philly..Kung Fu Necktie I think..Ever been there??..Excited about the NYC gig..We will be there for sure..

Yes many times. Back in April, Greg and I saw Redd Kross there and I've seen The Rezillos, Scream and many others there in recent years as well. A good friend actually helped paint/clean the place before it opened, but I digress. KFT is a great small club at least sound-wise and they have great beers on tap, but the owners of the place lost the place years ago. They failed to renew their liquor license one year and were without one for a few months. It was ridiculous.

So as for that bill, I'm honestly only casually familiar with both bands. And beware the Ides of March. :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Janelle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 am

MikeD wrote:The band I play in with my Brother in Law covered "Situations"

Oh cool!!!!!!!!!
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 am

clash77 wrote:JGJR they're playing with the Pagan Babies sat march 15 in philly..Kung Fu Necktie I think..Ever been there??..Excited about the NYC gig..We will be there for sure..

I wish Pagan Babies were playing NYC too! Oh well...
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 am

Great, here it's on a Thursday night. :P Whatever!
I'm going no matter what! Hey Clash77 we did weeknight around St Patrick's Day for The Pogues! This is worthy too.
Janelle

Postby clash77 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Janelle wrote:Great, here it's on a Thursday night. :P Whatever!
I'm going no matter what! Hey Clash77 we did weeknight around St Patrick's Day for The Pogues! This is worthy too.
no doubt!!!! we will be there!!
clash77

Postby Janelle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:30 am

WTF my friend just told me this was pushed back to Sept. So I think he's joking with me and now just looking up... How/why would they still be playing the Whiskey in Feb and NJ in March but then our NYC Grand Victory Sept. 25 and 27?

http://www.songkick.com/artists/285281- ... d-the-dogs

Am I reading this wrong? This makes no sense.
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:49 am

So the day is finally nearing, Sept. 25 when this show has been postponed to and I only now found out it's all of 'Do It Dog Style.' Nice!

"I'm Mad," "We Don't Care," "You're A Bore," "Where Have All The Bootboys Gone," "Victims Of The Vampire." A little "Quick Joey Small" for Clash77. All right
Plus they're playing some others. Hopefully this time, 11 years later in NYC they do "Hell In New York." Come on.
Janelle

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 am

I thought this thread was about 80's hair metal titans, Slaughter.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:54 am

gregpolard wrote:I thought this thread was about 80's hair metal titans, Slaughter.

Because you've not heard of Slaughter and the Dogs right? :lol:
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I thought this thread was about 80's hair metal titans, Slaughter.

Heard of, never heard.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 am

Now, I don't think I've ever heard these guys. But early on in my musical education I read something like - "All punk rock isn't the Ramones and the Clash. Most of it is actually shit like Slaughter and the Dogs." I dunno, it was probably Lester Bangs. But anyway, I've always had that prejudice in my head whenever they come up.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:34 am

scannest wrote:Now, I don't think I've ever heard these guys. But early on in my musical education I read something like - "All punk rock isn't the Ramones and the Clash. Most of it is actually shit like Slaughter and the Dogs." I dunno, it was probably Lester Bangs. But anyway, I've always had that prejudice in my head whenever they come up.

Yeah, I read them described as pub rock bandwagon jumpers long ago and that has (rightly or wrongly) colored my perception of them ever since. They also sounded like right bastards in Peter Hook's biography.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:50 am

scannest wrote:Now, I don't think I've ever heard these guys. But early on in my musical education I read something like - "All punk rock isn't the Ramones and the Clash. Most of it is actually shit like Slaughter and the Dogs." I dunno, it was probably Lester Bangs. But anyway, I've always had that prejudice in my head whenever they come up.

I'm not the biggest fan of this band (only knowingly heard a few songs but liked what I heard), but if it is him then this is yet another example of why Lester Bangs (though great for canonizing VU, '60s garage rock and other bands like Suicide and embracing them when few others did) could be really frustrating and why I consider him to be way overrated. I liked DeRogatis' great bio of him much more than most of his actual writing if I'm being honest.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:51 am

version sound wrote:

Yeah, I read them described as pub rock bandwagon jumpers long ago and that has (rightly or wrongly) colored my perception of them ever since. They also sounded like right bastards in Peter Hook's biography.

So were The Clash (or at least Strummer), The Stranglers, The Vibrators and many others. The year zero stuff was always BS and more myth than fact. Lots of bands changed when punk hit.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 am

Also, Morrissey tried out for them and they were one of Manchester's first punk bands (not sure if Buzzcocks predated them).
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:57 am

#rockhistory
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

So were The Clash (or at least Strummer), The Stranglers, The Vibrators and many others. The year zero stuff was always BS and more myth than fact. Lots of bands changed when punk hit.

The 101ers were pretty boring, especially compared to The Clash. I've never been a huge fan of The Vibrators or Stranglers (that fuckin' organ) either. So yeah, not a big fan of warmed-over pub rock.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:07 am

JGJR wrote:... this is yet another example of why Lester Bangs (though great for canonizing VU, '60s garage rock and other bands like Suicide and embracing them when few others did) could be really frustrating and why I consider him to be way overrated.

You consider Lester Bangs way overrated because he didn't like Slaughter and the Dogs?!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay!

Agree or disagree with his opinions, there has never been a better writer who devoted himself almost entirely to rock'n'roll.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:14 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:... this is yet another example of why Lester Bangs (though great for canonizing VU, '60s garage rock and other bands like Suicide and embracing them when few others did) could be really frustrating and why I consider him to be way overrated.

You consider Lester Bangs way overrated because he didn't like Slaughter and the Dogs?!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay!

Agree or disagree with his opinions, there has never been a better writer who devoted himself almost entirely to rock'n'roll.

Nonsense, but no I didn't say that. He had lots of blind spots (anything he reviewed at the very end of his life but also before that he didn't like Elvis Costello or Graham Parker), but it's not even that. He just went on FOREVER about pointless or unrelated stuff instead of reviewing the fucking records. I read his piece on Fear of Music after getting the Talking Heads DVD video set as a present recently and I could barely make it through it (I've read a lot of his other stuff, too). Sure, he had some great insights, especially about Black Sabbath and The Doors, but overall yeah I stand by what I wrote.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:16 am

More to the point of what you wrote, it did annoy me when older rock critics who grew up on '60s and early '70s stuff badmouthed punk or reluctantly accepted a few bands (Ramones, Clash, Pistols) while dissing the rest and that's more of what I was reacting against, not that he didn't like that specific band (Slaughter and the Dogs). It's probably a generational thing with me.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

Jesus fuckin' Christ.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

Welly wrote:Jesus fuckin' Christ.

Would you care to elaborate?
JGJR

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 am

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:Jesus fuckin' Christ.

Would you care to elaborate?

The whole thread, not you. :D
Welly

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am

gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:

Heard of, never heard.

Yet you have all the Paramore albums right? :lol:
Welly

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 am

version sound wrote:Yeah, I read them described as pub rock bandwagon jumpers

Most were.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 am

Welly wrote:

Most were.

Yep or if not that former glam rockers or even prog-rockers or all or some of each.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 am

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

Most were.

Yep or if not that former glam rockers or even prog-rockers or all or some of each.

Maybe that's why I'm not a big '77 punk fan outside of The Pistols, Damned, Clash, Generation X, and The Slits.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 am

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

Most were.

Hence most of them being good players.

I think VS said he didn't like Vibrators. The first album is pub rock, but the second is an absolute classic.

Granted, Slaughter weren't the most outstanding of the era, but locals The Drones had better songs, but less notoriety later, and also got tarred with the bandwagon brush. Same for the Distractions. But you only ever hear of Buzzcocks and Joy Division when the official historians bang on about Manchester punk.

People mix up the year zero thing with the kids/fans who formed bands straight after (see: Eater, Rejects). Everything was moving fast, a creative explosion on both sides of the Atlantic. Not like now where people are so desperate for something good to come along that any band with more than one decent song that has the perceived stylistic edge on their contemporaries, is hailed as the new saviours of rock 'n' roll. Just because then there were a couple of hundred, don't knock it. ;)
Welly

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

Most were.

Maybe that's why I'm not a big '77 punk fan outside of The Pistols, Damned, Clash, Generation X, and The Slits.

Because... you preferred some former pub rockers/hippies making punk over others?
Welly

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:51 am

Most of those bands main influences were the Stooges and The Dolls, though Mick Jones was certainly a big Mott The Hoople fan and Strummer was a pub rockin' hippie. I don't dislike the named bands because they were pub rockers, I just don't particularly care for those bands. I DO like Dr. Feelgood, who were pretty much the biggest thing to come out of pub rock.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:04 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:

Heard of, never heard.

Absolutely.
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 am

version sound wrote:Most of those bands main influences were the Stooges and The Dolls, though Mick Jones was certainly a big Mott The Hoople fan and Strummer was a pub rockin' hippie. I don't dislike the named bands because they were pub rockers, I just don't particularly care for those bands. I DO like Dr. Feelgood, who were pretty much the biggest thing to come out of pub rock.

Each to their own. I feel I need to make you a '77 UK compilation. That era is an absolute goldmine after you get beyond the entry level stuff.

I enjoyed the Dr. Feelgood documentary, but the music doesn't do much for me. Eddie and the Hot Rods were far more interesting. Heard their first two albums?
Welly

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 am

gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:

Heard of, never heard.

Absolutely.

I rest my case. You're beyond hope. :D
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:

Heard of, never heard.

Absolutely.

Well duh....
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 am

gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:

Heard of, never heard.

Absolutely.

Well duh....

And I at least like the fact that you don't give a shit.

It's more 'rebellious' than 99% of 'punks'.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Welly wrote:

Heard of, never heard.

Absolutely.

Well duh....

And I at least like the fact that you don't give a shit.

It's more 'rebellious' than 99% of 'punks'.

I raise my mug of tea to you, sir :)
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:32 am

Welly wrote:I feel I need to make you a '77 UK compilation. That era is an absolute goldmine after you get beyond the entry level stuff.

If you made it, I'd listen to it. I was basically on a desert island with only the Sex Pistols for about 2 years before I was introduced to other punk bands. The first two non-Pistols punk records I heard were the first Clash LP and Wild In The Streets. My first exposure to earlier UK stuff beyond the big names came with Burning Ambitions. By that point I think I was way too wrapped up in hardcore to really appreciate most of it. I've gone back here and there to check out other stuff. The only band I've found so far that I really liked was Subway Sect. Also the Saints, who were '77, but not UK, though they did move over at some point, didn't they?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:41 am

version sound wrote:The only band I've found so far that I really liked was Subway Sect. Also the Saints, who were '77, but not UK, though they did move over at some point, didn't they?

Think so. They recorded their later big US hit in Wales.
Welly

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:45 am

JGJR wrote:He just went on FOREVER about pointless or unrelated stuff instead of reviewing the fucking records.

Ah, now it makes sense. He should have just cut out all the "pointless or unrelated stuff" (i.e. - creative, clever, provocative, thoughtful stuff) and just, you know, reviewed records. Why did he bother trying to be a great writer when all he was supposed to do is tell us if a record is good or not?
FWIW, there's more great writing in one Lester Bang review than has been coughed up in...what, the 42 years Big Takeover has been publishing.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:08 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:He just went on FOREVER about pointless or unrelated stuff instead of reviewing the fucking records.

Ah, now it makes sense. He should have just cut out all the "pointless or unrelated stuff" (i.e. - creative, clever, provocative, thoughtful stuff) and just, you know, reviewed records. Why did he bother trying to be a great writer when all he was supposed to do is tell us if a record is good or not?
FWIW, there's more great writing in one Lester Bang review than has been coughed up in...what, the 42 years Big Takeover has been publishing.

If you sincerely think that way and you're not just trying to get my goat (which I suspect you are), then that's fine. Lots of folks laud Leslie's writing, but I've just never drunk the Kool Aid. As for your continued trolling re: the magazine I write for, I won't take it personally even though some of my own writing has been featured there for the last 11 years. It is just a matter of opinion then. However, I will say that Jack's editorials in any given issue over the last 15 years are all of the things you describe (and way more organized than any Lester Bangs essay and also enthused with much more humanity instead of '70s decadence and ceaseless negativity about how everything sucks, one of my quabbles with Bangs), but I doubt you've read any of them since you seem to think we cover the same 10 bands or some such nonsense (and that it's only music we cover).

And your math is faulty. The Big Takeover has been around for 34 years now, not 42. The Bad Brains didn't even exist in 1972. If you're gonna go on the attack, get it right. Sheesh. :D
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:12 pm

As far as I'm concerned, Philip Seymour Hoffman playing a cuddlier version of him in Almost Famous (and that movie itself) plus him being referred to by R.E.M. > his actual writing. :D
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:33 pm

JGJR wrote:And your math is faulty. The Big Takeover has been around for 34 years now, not 42. The Bad Brains didn't even exist in 1972.

I know that, Matthew. I'm only 46 myself. It's a joke. That's why I put the ellipsis there. Don't worry, you'll figure it all out soon enough.
And "quabbles" isn't a word. I think you meant "quibbles".
But hey, you're right - I've never read one of Mr. Rabid's editorials. I just assumed they were about Chameleons UK. Or that time he DJ'ed at Folk City before the first Replacements show back in...
scannest

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Oh well this is going off the rails. I wonder why no one was badmouthing them when I first posted this months and months ago. I don't really care - I love the band and their straight-up sleazy rock 'n' roll/punk and am excited :D
Janelle

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Janelle wrote:Oh well this is going off the rails. I wonder why no one was badmouthing them when I first posted this months and months ago. I don't really care - I love the band and their straight-up sleazy rock 'n' roll/punk and am excited :D

A topic go off the rails here? Never! :)
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse