I just purchased tickets to see Flag and TSOL

I just purchased tickets to see Flag and TSOL

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:31 am

Frankly, I'm not sure why I waited so long. Must have something to do with being in Baltimore on a Monday night.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: I just purchased tickets to see Flag and TSOL

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:45 am

I wish you could learn to never go back.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 am

You've clearly lost the truth that used to live inside of you.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 am

Those aren't Flag lyrics.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 am

gregpolard wrote:Those aren't Flag lyrics.

There's another man's pants in my house.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Janelle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:23 am

Holy craps I just looked up the date of this for Irving NYC for my friend and I'm like, I don't know if I'm going yet, and then I see... TSOL playing too?! This is a must!
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 am

I will be at the Boston show. Cerebal Ballzy is opening the show. :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Those aren't Flag lyrics.

There's another man's pants in my house.

You're one of them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Cerebral Ballzy added to NYC! nice!
drew

Postby mommagriz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Frankly, I'm not sure why I waited so long. Must have something to do with being in Baltimore on a Monday night.

Just be sure to wear your body armor. Baltimore has gone insane in the past month or so. I think people here get all uppity when another city has a higher murder rate. This year, it's Chicago.
Oh punk rock, it's like you never left rock'n'roll high school.
mommagriz

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 pm

drew wrote:Cerebral Ballzy added to NYC! nice!

They're on the bill here in Philly along with TSOL. It should be great!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:17 am

Who is Cerebral Balzy??
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am

gregpolard wrote:Who is Cerebral Balzy??

Not bad, but overrated hipster hardcore kids. Totally wild etc, but you know, most of us have seen this before.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:05 am

Knutsen wrote:Not bad, but overrated hipster hardcore kids. Totally wild etc, but you know, most of us have seen this before.

Sounds exactly like Trash Talk. I just watched them at Pitchfork Fest and I don't understand how or why they've become the hardcore band for that crowd. Nothing special about them at all.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I liked the name but had not checked them out yet. Disappointing to hear they sound like Trash Talk. Watching Trash Talk play before OFF! was truly awful :roll:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:27 pm

I like Trash Talk but don't really feel the yearn to listen to another band that sounds like them. I still check them out though. Who knows?
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:I like Trash Talk but don't really feel the yearn to listen to another band that sounds like them. I still check them out though. Who knows?

I like what I've heard of them, too, but they sound like a band that would've come out of Cleveland in the early '90s.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:28 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I like Trash Talk but don't really feel the yearn to listen to another band that sounds like them. I still check them out though. Who knows?

I like what I've heard of them, too, but they sound like a band that would've come out of Cleveland in the early '90s.

That actually sounds quite pleasing. We talking early Integrity/Ringworm??
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:58 am

Knutsen wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Who is Cerebral Balzy??

Not bad, but overrated hipster hardcore kids. Totally wild etc, but you know, most of us have seen this before.

the singer wears wallet chains. they sound like beastie boys doing hardcore songs with a kind of crossover edge, but not in a good way. they are trying to be marketed to like the adult swim hardcore crowd, if that exists. they are pretty bad.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:58 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

i don't really see that in TT at all. the first ep or two was decent, but they got pretty bad after that.
yourenotevil

Postby drew » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:02 am

JGJR wrote:

Huh? I guess I only know Integrity & Ringworm and CB sound nothing like that....

Young kids playing HC with some downtown '77 NYC PunkNRoll thrown in. Short tunes & a 30 min. set is gonna be perfect for this show.
drew

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:04 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Huh? I guess I only know Integrity & Ringworm and CB sound nothing like that....

Young kids playing HC with some downtown '77 NYC PunkNRoll thrown in. Short tunes & a 30 min. set is gonna be perfect for this show.

was the comparison being made to CB? it's early and i am not alive yet. either way- i don't see that CLE comparison in either band.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Always wanted to see TSOL, but first time they were due to play the UK, they cancelled. I think it was like two weeks after 911. Second time, a bunch of us were actually in a car leaving for another city, and we found out they'd cancelled again. This time they ARE apparently playing one date in London outside of the old-fart-seaside-fest, but fuck it.
Welly

Postby Bill » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Trash Talk fucking suck.

Ha, I've seen a band that Welly hasn't! HA! It took me eleven years of waiting and exactly like Welly, multiple canceled shows to do it though.
Bill

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Welly wrote:Always wanted to see TSOL, but first time they were due to play the UK, they cancelled. I think it was like two weeks after 911.

In America we call it 9-1-1. Never again!
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Bill » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:35 am

Bill

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:15 am

Bill wrote:Trash Talk fucking suck.

Ha, I've seen a band that Welly hasn't! HA! It took me eleven years of waiting and exactly like Welly, multiple canceled shows to do it though.

Surprised so many people hate on TT. They seem like a good thrashy fast HC band to me. Not much to hate on.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:13 pm

gregpolard wrote:

Surprised so many people hate on TT. They seem like a good thrashy fast HC band to me. Not much to hate on.

check the first ep or two on malfunction. they got pretty bad after that. plus the whole public lashing of deathwish made it easy for people to hate them more. now they just play whack fucking fests. they were one of the main headliners at some lame fashion/music fest in L.A. and i honestly had no idea who any of the other groups were(it was like rap acts, etc). and then guys like the greg anderson sing their praises and call them a revolutionary hardcore band. pretty easy to see why people hate em, music aside.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:26 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

check the first ep or two on malfunction. they got pretty bad after that. plus the whole public lashing of deathwish made it easy for people to hate them more. now they just play whack fucking fests. they were one of the main headliners at some lame fashion/music fest in L.A. and i honestly had no idea who any of the other groups were(it was like rap acts, etc). and then guys like the greg anderson sing their praises and call them a revolutionary hardcore band. pretty easy to see why people hate em, music aside.

Oh I have all of their records (on mp3). Was just curious why everyone we seems to hate on them.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:30 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Oh I have all of their records (on mp3). Was just curious why everyone we seems to hate on them.

for the reasons i listed above, plus they seem to be marketing themselves to the same crowd cerebral ballzy does. i don't if you know the story, but they played sound and fury fest in 2008 and did a special press of their record containing a letter bitching about deathwish, who had just acquired malfunction, the label they were on. i think they had all of these demands that deathwish could not meet, so they essentially said fuck you. i guess they ended up apologizing and mending the fences, but i think that started the hatred of them.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:52 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

for the reasons i listed above, plus they seem to be marketing themselves to the same crowd cerebral ballzy does. i don't if you know the story, but they played sound and fury fest in 2008 and did a special press of their record containing a letter bitching about deathwish, who had just acquired malfunction, the label they were on. i think they had all of these demands that deathwish could not meet, so they essentially said fuck you. i guess they ended up apologizing and mending the fences, but i think that started the hatred of them.

Yeah I remember when it was a really big deal that they left DW and put out their own records. Not so much because they did it but because of the way they did it. The guys in the band definitely do not seem like the kinda guys I would want to hang out with but whatever.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:29 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yes exactly that kind of stuff or Face Value or you get the idea. I've only heard their most recent album, though. I didn't listen to it a bunch, but that's what it reminded me of. I guess their older stuff is faster and thrashier and less heavier?
Last edited by JGJR on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I was talking about Trash Talk, not CB.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:28 am

Definitely seeing the gig in B'more :!: :o
Last edited by john stabb on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:29 am

Oh, and Trash Talk were really pretty awful that night w/ OFF! :roll:
john stabb

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:57 am

john stabb wrote:Definitely seeing the gig in B'more but (even though I do love my Jack ... Grisham, that is) it's kind of strange that Mike & Ron are not in this TSOL. I know the kids in South America will go batshit crazy seeing American Punk so Jack being the original master entertainer frontman will be fine for them. And yes, the young bassist & older guitarist (HE and drummer Anthony play w/ D.I. when not doing this gig) pulled off the songs behind Jack that WDC night they played as Jack Grisham's Lost Soul but I feel conflicted about them calling this TSOL. If I got some other guys to play for say Tom, J., and Pete (1st real G.I. Reunion) or Tom, Brian, and Colin (2nd G.I. Reunion) called it Government Issue, I'd personally feel that it's a cheat to folks who wanted/paid to see us.

I know that Jack has paid more than his fucking share of dues with TSOL & I'd love to see my old band friend secure & happy in his life. I'd love to be there, too. I wish all life's best for my old band friends like Keith but I'm so glad he didn't just get his band friends together, call it Black Flag (doing those songs he was part of) instead of doing OFF! I'm incredibly excited about seeing FLAG with at least 4 original Black Flag members.

Am I just the minority here speaking about having 1 original member of a longtime infamous punk band & calling it that band name? Do most people even care if musicians do that as long as they get 1 guy their familiar with & hear the hits they wanna hear? Discuss ...

i am pretty sure i have said this numerous times- i might go see said punk band with a scab line up, but i am not going to delude myself into thinking i saw anything close to the real band in their prime. my rule of thumb is, if you don't have the guy up there with you who wrote the majority of the songs on stage, you are pretty much a glorified karoake band to me. i saw poison idea in portland in 08 and had a good time, but i am sure as shit not going to say i saw anything more than a semi sober jerry A with 4 guys playing a bunch of songs pig wrote. i have seen the cro mags a few times with JJ and mackie, the original drummer, but i would not say i ever saw the true mags line up without harley also being on stage. that said, JJ's version always brings it and by all accounts harley's last version of the mags with parris in 2000 was a trainwreck. maybe that is comparable to the current FLAG and Black Flag incarnations. do you want to see the guy who wrote the songs with his view of the band, or do you want to see a greatest hits vegas act? i guess both have their audiences, and in the case of BF i have seen both incarnations.

i can say i have seen some reunion bands like gorilla biscuits where all of the original members played and they played all of their songs and were totally into it and by all accounts played a lot better than they ever did in their first run as a band. i have also seen og line ups that were fucking horrible all around. some bands like sheer terror were always more about the singer. i had fun seeing them. i guess it comes down to a case by case basis. i saw TSOL and the adolescents at the frontier records anniversary show. they both had fill in players, but they were both really good.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:37 am

john stabb wrote:it's kind of strange that Mike & Ron are not in this TSOL.

What? Well it's not TSOL then. Those guy's signatures are crucial to that band. Hell, Barnes' drumming was, but they had an excuse with that one.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

john stabb wrote:Definitely seeing the gig in B'more but (even though I do love my Jack ... Grisham, that is) it's kind of strange that Mike & Ron are not in this TSOL. I know the kids in South America will go batshit crazy seeing American Punk so Jack being the original master entertainer frontman will be fine for them. And yes, the young bassist & older guitarist (HE and drummer Anthony play w/ D.I. when not doing this gig) pulled off the songs behind Jack that WDC night they played as Jack Grisham's Lost Soul but I feel conflicted about them calling this TSOL. If I got some other guys to play for say Tom, J., and Pete (1st real G.I. Reunion) or Tom, Brian, and Colin (2nd G.I. Reunion) called it Government Issue, I'd personally feel that it's a cheat to folks who wanted/paid to see us.

I know that Jack has paid more than his fucking share of dues with TSOL & I'd love to see my old band friend secure & happy in his life. I'd love to be there, too. I wish all life's best for my old band friends like Keith but I'm so glad he didn't just get his band friends together, call it Black Flag (doing those songs he was part of) instead of doing OFF! I'm incredibly excited about seeing FLAG with at least 4 original Black Flag members.

Am I just the minority here speaking about having 1 original member of a longtime infamous punk band & calling it that band name? Do most people even care if musicians do that as long as they get 1 guy their familiar with & hear the hits they wanna hear? Discuss ...

I didn't know that this version of TSOL is only Jack with no Mike or Ron. Interesting and odd. I'm curious why they're not in it anymore?

Also, Keith & co can't call it Black Flag because I think Greg owns the name, no?
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm

evil, if the original band members were awful onstage then I could accept that & feel that "Well, that sucked so I doubt I'll see that original band again". If the new kids/seasoned punk musicians are much better, I feel conflicted that I enjoyed the gig. I was fine with it being called Jack Grisham's Lost Soul (doing various songs of his bands: 3, Joykiller, TSOL, Manic Low)
Last edited by john stabb on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 pm

yourenotevil wrote:

i am pretty sure i have said this numerous times- i might go see said punk band with a scab line up, but i am not going to delude myself into thinking i saw anything close to the real band in their prime. my rule of thumb is, if you don't have the guy up there with you who wrote the majority of the songs on stage, you are pretty much a glorified karoake band to me. i saw poison idea in portland in 08 and had a good time, but i am sure as shit not going to say i saw anything more than a semi sober jerry A with 4 guys playing a bunch of songs pig wrote. i have seen the cro mags a few times with JJ and mackie, the original drummer, but i would not say i ever saw the true mags line up without harley also being on stage. that said, JJ's version always brings it and by all accounts harley's last version of the mags with parris in 2000 was a trainwreck. maybe that is comparable to the current FLAG and Black Flag incarnations. do you want to see the guy who wrote the songs with his view of the band, or do you want to see a greatest hits vegas act? i guess both have their audiences, and in the case of BF i have seen both incarnations.

i can say i have seen some reunion bands like gorilla biscuits where all of the original members played and they played all of their songs and were totally into it and by all accounts played a lot better than they ever did in their first run as a band. i have also seen og line ups that were fucking horrible all around. some bands like sheer terror were always more about the singer. i had fun seeing them. i guess it comes down to a case by case basis. i saw TSOL and the adolescents at the frontier records anniversary show. they both had fill in players, but they were both really good.

You didn't see Cro Mags in '01 / '02 when Harley was back in?
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 pm

JGJR wrote:

I didn't know that this version of TSOL is only Jack with no Mike or Ron. Interesting and odd. I'm curious why they're not in it anymore?

Also, Keith & co can't call it Black Flag because I think Greg owns the name, no?

You got a source, Stubbs? Mike and Ron were still in the band last month and there doesn't seem to be any mention of them being out of the band or not doing the Flag tour on any TSOL-related web site/Facebook page.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:47 pm

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

You didn't see Cro Mags in '01 / '02 when Harley was back in?

no, i wish. i can't confirm as i really was not too up on current hc at that time, but i believe they only did about 10 to 15 shows with that line up and they were all on the east coast as far as i could gather. i know they played in philly with the soul brains as an opener, and i imagine there were a few more dates on that tour. i also know they did the cbgbs show with burn, and played dc. i think the posi numbers fest was the last show with the big harley blow up on stage. if anyone knows for sure, chime in. i know the year before harley and parris came through with his version, but by all accounts it was fucking horrible so i never thought i missed much.
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 am

:oops: After seeing a recent video of TSOL live in South America tonight, I seriously need to do more research (and not listen to my source of info to the point of getting myself to believe it!). Hunter's right & it makes me incredibly happy that the real members of TSOL are doing these gigs. I seriously heard it was the other guys in Richmond but perhaps the source was wrong there, too. And when Jack Grisham's Lost Cause was on that last tour, I'd heard that they were being booked as TSOL. So now I wonder if that was true.

Please disregard my "sincere but misled posts" about my TSOL above. Hell, I wish I could delete them because I'm sure not trying to change anyone's mind on seeing them when they tour with FLAG. Ron & Mike will blow you away.
john stabb

Postby johnnotkathi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:23 am

John - I agree. I was getting worried about the Philly show and some diluted version of TSOL being there. Ron is FANTASTIC and a crucial part of the band (IMO) as is Mike.....glad it all seems to have been a rumor....
johnnotkathi

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:04 am

I'm so excited for this show, seriously.

yourenotevil - I saw the Mags in '01 when they opened for Soul Brains. They blew SB out of the water. It was amazing. They literally played AOQ front to back, minus "Seekers Of The Truth" and added "Death Camps" at the end. That was the whole set. I did not see the Posi #s set, that was in 2002 and it was the first year that One Up played but the Mags were the day before. Supposedly Harley was saying some sketchy stuff on stage. He also walked in and was smoking a joint like it was no big thing.
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:18 am

john stabb wrote:And when Jack Grisham's Lost Cause was on that last tour, I'd heard that they were being booked as TSOL. So now I wonder if that was true.

Sounds like you should fire your source, Stubbs. TSOL, The Manic Low, and Jack Grisham and the Lost Souls were all touring at the same time last summer. The latter two bands were made up of the exact same guys, but they were billed as the Manic Low when opening for Sublime with Rome and JG and the Lost Souls when playing by themselves. (This was likely for contractual reasons.) A night or two before JG&LS played DC, TSOL (with Ron and Mike) played the Borgata (or some other casino) in Atlantic City so if TSOL played Richmond on that tour, it was almost certainly Jack, Mike, Ron and Tiny.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 pm

johnnotkathi wrote:John - I agree. I was getting worried about the Philly show and some diluted version of TSOL being there. Ron is FANTASTIC and a crucial part of the band (IMO) as is Mike.....glad it all seems to have been a rumor....

So much this...I couldn't imagine seeing TSOL without Ron or Mike as both or at least Ron have been on board the two times I've seen them. I think they had a different bass player last time (in 2011 maybe?).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'm so excited for this show, seriously.

yourenotevil - I saw the Mags in '01 when they opened for Soul Brains. They blew SB out of the water.

Not hard to do...the one time I saw Soul Brains was in '99 at a now long defunct club near my parents' house called The Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. Anyway, I also saw Sunny Day Real Estate and Cheap Trick (not on the same bill) one time each, but anyway they were awful. They played 20 minutes of hardcore, which was cool, and then an hour of reggae and I left during their set. There was always a fight. It was just terrible.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:55 pm

JGJR wrote:

yourenotevil - I saw the Mags in '01 when they opened for Soul Brains. They blew SB out of the water.

Not hard to do...the one time I saw Soul Brains was in '99 at a now long defunct club near my parents' house called The Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. Anyway, I also saw Sunny Day Real Estate and Cheap Trick (not on the same bill) one time each, but anyway they were awful. They played 20 minutes of hardcore, which was cool, and then an hour of reggae and I left during their set. There was always a fight. It was just terrible.

I went to Birch Hill once, in '99 as well.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:56 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I went to Birch Hill once, in '99 as well.

What show was it?
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse