Black Flag

Re: Black Flag

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:22 pm

pedro wrote:I was unaware that on top of fronting Motley Crue, Vince Neil was forced to work 40 hours a week at some supposedly dead end job that forced him to DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! Regardless, it’s an awful song. And the sound effects are truly hysterical.

If it makes you feel any better, I think the song Clapton wrote about his kid is awful too.

Midge must be one of those folks who think film critics who hated DON'T LOOK UP are climate change deniers.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:32 pm

scannest wrote:
pedro wrote:I was unaware that on top of fronting Motley Crue, Vince Neil was forced to work 40 hours a week at some supposedly dead end job that forced him to DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! Regardless, it’s an awful song. And the sound effects are truly hysterical.

If it makes you feel any better, I think the song Clapton wrote about his kid is awful too.

Midge must be one of those folks who think film critics who hated DON'T LOOK UP are climate change deniers.

I don't know what Don't Look Up has to do with anything, but I thought it was great personally. I'm assuming you didn't from the above? I think Lefsetz pretty much nailed it, tbh. Anyway, if you didn't (or if you did), I wanna know why.

https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2021/12/26/dont-look-up/
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:39 pm

JGJR wrote:I don't know what Don't Look Up has to do with anything, but I thought it was great personally.

The point is that Midge claimed Pedro's hatred of that song showed an insensitivity to the circumstances that lead Henry to write it. Just like Andy McKay thinks that critics who hated his film don't understand or appreciate the dire circumstances associated with climate change.

I thought the movie was overly broad and condescending, but I did laugh a few times.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:49 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I don't know what Don't Look Up has to do with anything, but I thought it was great personally.

The point is that Midge claimed Pedro's hatred of that song showed an insensitivity to the circumstances that lead Henry to write it. Just like Andy McKay thinks that critics who hated his film don't understand or appreciate the dire circumstances associated with climate change.

I thought the movie was overly broad and condescending, but I did laugh a few times.

Well, it's Idiocracy for the modern era and with better acting, a bigger budget, and no overtly classist/racist overtones (thankfully), so what did ya expect, an Altman film or something?
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:19 am

The movie was vaguely ok. As usual, it suffered a bit because the allegories were so over-the-top and obvious. Do people think this stuff is clever, or just that it's somehow compelling? The characters, comedy and acting totally saved it from being abysmal. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of those people I really *want* to not like. But damned if he doesn't make every single role he plays awesome. Like, without fail. He has to be one of the greatest movie actors of the last 50 years.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:35 pm

SamDBL wrote:The movie was vaguely ok. As usual, it suffered a bit because the allegories were so over-the-top and obvious. Do people think this stuff is clever, or just that it's somehow compelling? The characters, comedy and acting totally saved it from being abysmal. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of those people I really *want* to not like. But damned if he doesn't make every single role he plays awesome. Like, without fail. He has to be one of the greatest movie actors of the last 50 years.

He deserves some sort of honor/award for that performance and totally playing against type (and he didn't even want to do it initially according to an interview with Meryl Streep and Jonah Hill we watched recently). Everyone else was good, too. I don't know if I'd rate him quite so highly overall (though I've always liked him), but even going back to What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, he always brings it in his performances. I haven''t seen some of the movies he's made with Martin Scorcese in more recent years, but want to.

I'm also starting to think Jonah Hill has been underrated by many critics, particularly as an improviser.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:06 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:The movie was vaguely ok. As usual, it suffered a bit because the allegories were so over-the-top and obvious. Do people think this stuff is clever, or just that it's somehow compelling? The characters, comedy and acting totally saved it from being abysmal. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of those people I really *want* to not like. But damned if he doesn't make every single role he plays awesome. Like, without fail. He has to be one of the greatest movie actors of the last 50 years.

He deserves some sort of honor/award for that performance and totally playing against type (and he didn't even want to do it initially according to an interview with Meryl Streep and Jonah Hill we watched recently). Everyone else was good, too. I don't know if I'd rate him quite so highly overall (though I've always liked him), but even going back to What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, he always brings it in his performances. I haven''t seen some of the movies he's made with Martin Scorcese in more recent years, but want to.

I'm also starting to think Jonah Hill has been underrated by many critics, particularly as an improviser.

Gilbert Grape was definitely the one that got him noticed as a serious actor. Jonah Hill is pretty great, too. As long as the role is comedic to some degree.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:41 am

Watched this last night, pretty much on the same page as you, though I've always liked DiCaprio, without any misgivings... did pretty credible job on the Michigan accent too.

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Good lord look at that roster.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:01 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Good lord look at that roster.

He's like Matthew McConaughey's character in Dazed and Confused. He gets older, but they somehow stay the same age. :lol:
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:27 pm

JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:Good lord look at that roster.

He's like Matthew McConaughey's character in Dazed and Confused. He gets older, but they somehow stay the same age. :lol:

Yeah, dude has life by the balls in a downhill drag.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:41 pm

At the same time, I'm also deeply offended by the lack of diversity/representation of otherness in his dating history.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:43 pm

FormerLurker wrote:At the same time, I'm also deeply offended by the lack of diversity/representation of otherness in his dating history.

:lol:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:51 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:At the same time, I'm also deeply offended by the lack of diversity/representation of otherness in his dating history.

Yeah, dude could branch out... I know I would if I were in his position.

Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman
September 1, 1996 (age 25)

jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:21 pm

jaybird wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Damn. Great minds. I had the exact same thought. These are a bunch of faceless up and coming generic models or some shit. I mean, I'd fuck them too. It's not like you wouldn't have the time to get to everyone with his schedule. But the main course would definitely be A-listers. John Mayer... there's a dude that made use of his fame. Jennifer Aniston, Katy Perry, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jessican Simpson, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift and Blake Lively (neither are my type... but still, why not). Fuckin' bravo.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:57 pm

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Damn. Great minds. I had the exact same thought. These are a bunch of faceless up and coming generic models or some shit. I mean, I'd fuck them too. It's not like you wouldn't have the time to get to everyone with his schedule. But the main course would definitely be A-listers. John Mayer... there's a dude that made use of his fame. Jennifer Aniston, Katy Perry, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jessican Simpson, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift and Blake Lively (neither are my type... but still, why not). Fuckin' bravo.

You people need to learn some social etiquette. Stop being so sexy.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:59 pm

And any chance we can stay on topic and get back to talking about what a shitty band Aerosmith was after 1979?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby kel » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:34 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:And any chance we can stay on topic and get back to talking about what a shitty band Aerosmith was after 1979?

Right? I popped into this thread to post a witty anecdote about my friend challenging Rollins to an arm-wrestling contest for guest list access, but was flummoxed by all the supermodel-shtuping/DeCaprio worship/climate change posts.

Apparently, I wasn't listening for the subtext in Black Flag lyrics hard enough. Maybe this stuff was covered in the backwards masking?
kel

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:37 pm

kel wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:And any chance we can stay on topic and get back to talking about what a shitty band Aerosmith was after 1979?

Right? I popped into this thread to post a witty anecdote about my friend challenging Rollins to an arm-wrestling contest for guest list access, but was flummoxed by all the supermodel-shtuping/DeCaprio worship/climate change posts.

Apparently, I wasn't listening for the subtext in Black Flag lyrics hard enough. Maybe this stuff was covered in the backwards masking?

EXACTLY!
Is seems that everyone on this board has spent too much time listening to...

xxxMidgexxx

Postby Mark T. » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:05 pm

That's why I saw them in 1978.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby kel » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:17 pm

Mark T. wrote:

Wait. Instead of that Titanic actor diddling 12 year olds like Zendaya, we're talking about Aerosmith now?

SO CONFUSED.

(But I did meet Steven Tyler to sell him some ammo once, though.)
kel

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Mark T. wrote:

I saw Queen in 1980. They were tremendous.
xxxMidgexxx

Previous

Return to daghouse