Tribute albums that actually rule

Tribute albums that actually rule

Postby target » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:34 pm

I’ll start with Beat the Retreat. Richard Thompson tunes by the likes of Bonnie Rait, REM, and Bob Mould
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8gobgwcaC ... Z_&index=5
target

Re: Tribute albums that actually rule

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm

target wrote:I’ll start with Beat the Retreat. Richard Thompson tunes by the likes of Bonnie Rait, REM, and Bob Mould

Uncut Magazine put together a Clash tribute album about 15 years ago that was pretty cool — Pete Wylie did a great version of “Stay Free.”
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:57 pm

There were three volumes of Heaven & Hell, which was a bunch of bands covering the VU (including Swervedriver, The Telescopes, Terry Bickers, Ride, Chapterhouse, Buffalo Tom, and even Nirvana). That one was pretty foolproof, though. Any decent band covering the VU is going to be pretty decent. Those songs are pretty bulletproof. The person I’ve heard butcher them most egregiously was Lou Reed himself in later years.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:26 am

target wrote:I’ll start with Beat the Retreat. Richard Thompson tunes by the likes of Bonnie Rait, REM, and Bob Mould

The Bob track also features John Doe and DJ Bonebrake from X as the rhythm section.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:31 am

jaybird wrote:

The Bob track also features John Doe and DJ Bonebrake from X as the rhythm section.

Probably the only tribute CD I like.
FormerLurker

Postby scannest » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:31 am

There was that Neil Young one called The Bridge. It was pretty good. Soul Asylum, Flaming Lips, Dino Jr., and these jokers:

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am

It's actually kinda fucked up, because that tribute CD got me into Richard Thompson. Backwards af.

That 'mats tribute from like 2006 with Drag the River and a bunch of No Idea-type bands was pretty good.
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:44 am

scannest wrote:There was that Neil Young one called The Bridge. It was pretty good. Soul Asylum, Flaming Lips, Dino Jr., and these jokers:

Forgot about that one. It looks pretty good. Given when it came out and the fact that it has Nick Cave on it, it’s surprising that I didn’t buy it. I definitely remember seeing it in stores.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:53 am

The Minutemen one was pretty good.
captain2man

Postby Gary » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:15 am

I can't think of any that are even ok.
Gary

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:00 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Uncut Magazine put together a Clash tribute album about 15 years ago that was pretty cool — Pete Wylie did a great version of “Stay Free.”

Had that CD; wish I still did; Sparks' version of "We are the Clash" is one for the ages.

The blown-out even more dubby version of "One More Time" by The Fiery Furnaces is great, too.

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:02 pm

version sound wrote:There were three volumes of Heaven & Hell, which was a bunch of bands covering the VU (including Swervedriver, The Telescopes, Terry Bickers, Ride, Chapterhouse, Buffalo Tom, and even Nirvana). That one was pretty foolproof, though. Any decent band covering the VU is going to be pretty decent. Those songs are pretty bulletproof. The person I’ve heard butcher them most egregiously was Lou Reed himself in later years.

I saw Lou and band (with Antony and Sharon Jones on backing vocals) play Berlin in full back in 2006 and it was one of the best things I've ever seen. They encored with "Sweet Jane" and even though it's basically the Rock and Roll Animal version, I still enjoyed it greatly.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:04 pm

jaybird wrote:

X are on there themselves, right? I can't remember what song they did. I think it was "Shoot Out the Lights."
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm

scannest wrote:There was that Neil Young one called The Bridge. It was pretty good. Soul Asylum, Flaming Lips, Dino Jr., and these jokers:

My favorite Neil song (not joking and I mean Neil's original though from what I remember, the cover is good, too) with the possible exception of this. Not big on Trans overall, but that song = amazing.

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:08 pm

FormerLurker wrote:It's actually kinda fucked up, because that tribute CD got me into Richard Thompson. Backwards af.

That 'mats tribute from like 2006 with Drag the River and a bunch of No Idea-type bands was pretty good.

Elvis Costello's versions of a few songs from I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight (particularly "Withered and Died" but also "End of the Rainbow") is what initially piqued my interest in RT, but when I finally heard that album, it was cemented and I was hooked.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:The person I’ve heard butcher them most egregiously was Lou Reed himself in later years.

I saw Lou and band (with Antony and Sharon Jones on backing vocals) play Berlin in full back in 2006 and it was one of the best things I've ever seen. They encored with "Sweet Jane" and even though it's basically the Rock and Roll Animal version, I still enjoyed it greatly.

Hard pass. I was at the peak of my VU fandom when they reunited in the ‘90s and was so bummed that they didn’t play in the US. However, after I heard the live record from the reunion tour, I was completely ok with missing it. Lou’s playing (with his dumbfuck headless guitar) and singing was horrendous. Every now and then, I go back to see if that reunion record is as bad as I remembered, and it is 100% confirmed every time.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:34 pm

I remember liking the buzzcocks tribute but I think that’s because I like Buzzcocks
target

Postby Knutsen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:11 am

I always wanted to check out „Lean into it“, the Die Kreuzen tribute compilation.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Return to daghouse