"Listen up now, b****" / Memory loss anecdote (Dag related)

"Listen up now, b****" / Memory loss anecdote (Dag related)

Postby kel » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:42 pm

I need to start taking ginko.

Situation: Youtube suggested "You're Mine" in my listening mix. I'm like, "Hey, haven't heard that forever. Let's listen."

I'm reminded that I had the clear green vinyl as a youngster (Peaches record store!), and - IIRC - it had the chunka-chunka guitar part where low vocals interject a "Listen up now, b****" line. But I can't find that version anywhere. I *know* I've heard it someplace.

I google, and naturally it leads me back to daghouse, where the FAQ says: "Did Dag Nasty have any unreleased songs?...If you count alternate lyrics and variations, then they have several unreleased songs. Originally, "Fall" had very different lyrics and was called "What I Feel Today". "Mule" was originally called "I Wouldn't Cry" and had different lyrics. Two versions of "You're Mine" exist, the one that appeared on "Field Day", and the unreleased "Listen Up, Bitch" version. "

So I'm like, if it's unreleased, it must NOT have been that green vinyl. Ok, where did I hear it?

I hit Youtube, and realize I UPLOADED IT THREE YEARS AGO.

Geeeez.

I'm gonna start doing memory flash cards or something.

Unrelated, but also: was in a record store today and saw a $350 Germs GI 1st pressing. Random!
kel

Re: "Listen up now, b****" / Memory loss anecdote (Dag relat

Postby scannest » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:45 am

Always loved that song. It was on the short list of Dag tunes we considered doing with the Gerunds, but Peter wasn't having it.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:51 am

scannest wrote:Always loved that song. It was on the short list of Dag tunes we considered doing with the Gerunds, but Peter wasn't having it.

He was shocked when I told him I loved it haha!
When Field Day played the beginning as an intro at their show I got so stoked.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:24 pm

scannest wrote:Always loved that song. It was on the short list of Dag tunes we considered doing with the Gerunds, but Peter wasn't having it.

Yeah, when I interviewed him in 2008, he told me something like that he was fine with that song, but he's just not the right singer for it and that it reminded him of '80s arena rock or hair metal or something like that. Obviously, I disagree. I've always loved it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:00 pm

JGJR wrote:

Yeah, when I interviewed him in 2008, he told me something like that he was fine with that song, but he's just not the right singer for it and that it reminded him of '80s arena rock or hair metal or something like that. Obviously, I disagree. I've always loved it.

I love the song too, but he isn't wrong about that... that tune could have easily sat in random rotation on Headbanger's Ball in 1988 if they had bothered to do a video for it.
jaybird

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:38 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I love the song too, but he isn't wrong about that... that tune could have easily sat in random rotation on Headbanger's Ball in 1988 if they had bothered to do a video for it.

He did a cool electronic version of it a while back.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:07 pm

Immediately after the Dag Nasty/Swiz show in the fall of 1987, I was in the dressing room of the old 9:30 Club. Back then it was just one big room, shared by all of the bands performing that night. Brian was going on about how they had just recorded a single and one of the songs "could be Bon Jovi." He was and remains correct.

While I don't necessarily hate it, I never particularly cared for it. It definitely comes in a distant third place when ranking the songs on that record.
Hello.
pedro

Postby SamDBL » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:27 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

For sure. They were really edging towards straight up rock with just a smidge of alternative at that point, in general. Not a bad thing. I was just watching a live video from that era, today. Around 1987/88, I think. And you could totally see how Brian was inches away from joining a full-on LA rock band.
SamDBL

Postby fiestaware » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:30 am

kel wrote:I hit Youtube, and realize I UPLOADED IT THREE YEARS AGO.

This is hilarious, sorry. Mainly because it's so relatable - especially these days. ^That collection is the cassette Peter used to hand around in the '90s, no?

In related news, I acquired a small number of tracks someone entitled Field Day Sessions including an alternate mix of 'Things That Make No Sense', instrumentals of '13 Seconds Under Water' & 'La Penita' among other scraps, plus some practice tape jams. Idk why these never made the compilation tapes that used to circulate.
fiestaware

Postby kel » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:47 pm

fiestaware wrote:^That collection is the cassette Peter used to hand around in the '90s, no?

I *might* have gotten it from Peter. That makes sense. There's a tape with a "live" side and a "studio outtakes" side.
However, I also have a bunch of stuff that Mike Malinin from the Goo Goo Dolls sent me once upon a time ( I assume mostly his work with Careless/Brian Baker, so could have been from that... Hmm.)

fiestaware wrote:In related news, I acquired a small number of tracks someone entitled Field Day Sessions including an alternate mix of 'Things That Make No Sense', instrumentals of '13 Seconds Under Water' & 'La Penita' among other scraps, plus some practice tape jams. Idk why these never made the compilation tapes that used to circulate.

I've heard this, might have a copy, or maybe they've just been posted over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPzinIWfPY

This is the download site for those files Wyatt put up a while ago:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/msyvxobf58k5 ... XG4Na?dl=0

I always liked/was confused by the 13 Seconds Underwater abrupt ending. I'm sure that's been explained but I don't remember why that song is the way it is.

Also: Because it's Christmas!
kel

Postby Marc M » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:16 pm

I was hoping the entire Field Day album would be songs just like "You're Mine". It seemed like a great direction for them to head at the time, and fit right in with what was going on in LA during that timeframe.
Marc M

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:23 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Well, that's how I started out as a pre-teen buying cassettes of bands I heard on the ball, so of course I dig it. I wish they'd done that video Junkyard-style :lol:
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:37 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Well, that's how I started out as a pre-teen buying cassettes of bands I heard on the ball, so of course I dig it. I wish they'd done that video Junkyard-style :lol:

When I saw Junkyard in 1989, very shortly after that video came out, the singer did the same half-assed somersault move off Chris Gates' back as he does at 2:32, lol:

I also remember that when I saw Dag the previous summer when they came through Detroit on the Field Day tour, I wore an Underdog t-shirt exactly like the one Brian wears in that video, and he actually stopped me when I walked past him to tell me how cool it was. So I'm pretty sure he got that fashion-tip from me.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:51 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

When I saw Junkyard in 1989, very shortly after that video came out, the singer did the same half-assed somersault move off Chris Gates' back as he does at 2:32, lol:

I also remember that when I saw Dag the previous summer when they came through Detroit on the Field Day tour, I wore an Underdog t-shirt exactly like the one Brian wears in that video, and he actually stopped me when I walked past him to tell me how cool it was. So I'm pretty sure he got that fashion-tip from me.

I remember seeing that video and hearing that song a ton of times on my high school's radio station right when it came out (I was in 9th grade then), but I was today years old when I found out BB was wearing an Underdog shirt because back then, I had no idea who they were (didn't find out until probably '92 or something) and I've loved them (Underdog) for 30 years. I didn't realize the follow-up single was a Skynyrd cover back then, either. More innocent times. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:51 pm

Man, I remember almost crying when I heard about Junkyard and then saw this video on MTV. Not so much because of BB, but because of Chris Gates' involvement.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:29 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I remember seeing that video and hearing that song a ton of times on my high school's radio station right when it came out (I was in 9th grade then), but I was today years old when I found out BB was wearing an Underdog shirt because back then, I had no idea who they were (didn't find out until probably '92 or something) and I've loved them (Underdog) for 30 years. I didn't realize the follow-up single was a Skynyrd cover back then, either. More innocent times. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was Underdog, the 1960s cartoon character, not the 1980s NYxHC band.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:35 pm

:lol:
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:09 pm

Man, Junkyard really sucks. I would say that BB should be ashamed of that stuff, but I definitely remember a time circa 1988/89 when punk rock seemed very stale and bands like GNR and Circus of Power seemed exciting. In that short period, I probably would have joined a fucking L.A. hair metal band too, had I been given the opportunity. Thank god for the misfit girls I met around that time who steered me down a different path…
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:29 pm

version sound wrote:Man, Junkyard really sucks. I would say that BB should be ashamed of that stuff, but I definitely remember a time circa 1988/89 when punk rock seemed very stale and bands like GNR and Circus of Power seemed exciting. In that short period, I probably would have joined a fucking L.A. hair metal band too, had I been given the opportunity. Thank god for the misfit girls I met around that time who steered me down a different path…

When we saw Junkyard in '89, my buddies and I cornered BB at the bar for a bit and more or less gave him the "WTF, dude, hair-metal, really?" bit... his more or less verbatim response was" dudes, punk rock is fuckin over, and I just wanna get paid for playing my guitar... no way I could do that playing in Dag Nasty, but I can with this band". :lol:

That said, I do think Junkyard was significantly better than the typical outfit for that sort of thing... more Motorhead-ish than most of the bands in that year's crop of LA hair-farmers.
jaybird

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:04 pm

jaybird wrote:“dudes, punk rock is fuckin over, and I just wanna get paid for playing my guitar... no way I could do that playing in Dag Nasty, but I can with this band".

I can 100% see that point of view, especially at that time. Ironically, in the long run, I’m sure that punk rock actually paid quite well between his Minor Threat and Bad Religion money. At the time, though, he was probably broke and tired of busting his ass for very little return.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:55 am

jaybird wrote:
version sound wrote:Man, Junkyard really sucks. I would say that BB should be ashamed of that stuff, but I definitely remember a time circa 1988/89 when punk rock seemed very stale and bands like GNR and Circus of Power seemed exciting. In that short period, I probably would have joined a fucking L.A. hair metal band too, had I been given the opportunity. Thank god for the misfit girls I met around that time who steered me down a different path…

When we saw Junkyard in '89, my buddies and I cornered BB at the bar for a bit and more or less gave him the "WTF, dude, hair-metal, really?" bit... his more or less verbatim response was" dudes, punk rock is fuckin over, and I just wanna get paid for playing my guitar... no way I could do that playing in Dag Nasty, but I can with this band". :lol:

That said, I do think Junkyard was significantly better than the typical outfit for that sort of thing... more Motorhead-ish than most of the bands in that year's crop of LA hair-farmers.

I saw an interview with him a few years ago and the response was basically the same. "Dudes, I had a family to feed." :lol:

And yeah, they weren't bad at all for that genre. I mean, I just watched The Decline Part II last night for the umpteenth time. OOOOOOF.
FormerLurker

Return to daghouse