Postby version sound » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:31 pm

Nah.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Numero is trying to sell The Hated as forerunners of Emo

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Kinda close to it, really.

PS: If you say Rites of Spring, you are BANNED from this board.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:26 pm

I will say this, that if Numero is doing a discography re-issue, its probably one of the most important and sorely missed batch of records from the DC area to date. Worth it!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby BAIN » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:40 pm

I mean are we discussing whether it was the Hated or Moss Icon who started the first wave?

ROS was right there but solely my own opinion should not be in the conversation and Embrace didn't occur until 2 years later?

Fugazi are still the grandfathers
BAIN

Postby JGJR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:53 pm

BAIN wrote:I mean are we discussing whether it was the Hated or Moss Icon who started the first wave?

ROS was right there but solely my own opinion should not be in the conversation and Embrace didn't occur until 2 years later?

Fugazi are still the grandfathers

IIRC, most of the Embrace album was recorded in November 1985 like the RoS Lp (March 1985), but not released until 1987 when the Rites of Spring 7" came out, so I always thought of them as existing during the exact same time kinda sorta.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 pm

The one thing that Ian is certain to love, is the argument regarding who started emo. Embrace or Rites of Spring.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:41 pm

I like The Hated just fine, but nah. The roots of “emo” go back to the two-guitar Faith and Marginal Man, and maybe even late Minor Threat. The bands that more immediately sparked the whole Revolution Summer thing were Rites of Spring and Beefeater. Those two bands kind of brought DC back from the dead and helped fill the void that Minor Threat and Faith left when they broke up. Were The Hated in the mix? Maybe? They weren’t even from DC, though, and I don’t know how often they played there, so it seems highly unlikely that they were a driving force in that scene. OTOH, pretty much everyone who was in DC at the time acknowledges that ROS were hugely inspirational to a whole lot of people.

Of course, “emo” isn’t necessarily synonymous with Revolution Summer. IIRC, the much hated term (actually, it was “emotional hardcore”) was coined in the DC issue of Flipside. It was used to describe Embrace and ROS in particular. So, if we’re talking about a musical shift that began in DC, we’re talking about Faith, Marginal Man, ROS, and Beefeater really being the catalysts. If we’re talking about a fake genre that no one involved wants credit for, it’s Embrace and ROS.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:50 pm

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:04 pm

I had originals of all The Hated vinyl. That 2 x 7" was worth its weight in gold. When I sold my collection decades ago, I struggled with parting with their records. I gave everyone a pretty decent deal on my rare records not trying to rip anyone off, but I had to get market value for those. They were close to my heart. I THINK I sold them to Mike Simonetti from Troubleman records. Good guy.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:01 pm

I love The Hated and I hear there are hours and hours of unreleased stuff coming out. I remember being on tour in the early 90s and rocking unreleased dubbed cassettes for long drives. There were extremely high quality rips floating around online about 10 years ago (including lots of unreleased stuff) that I have been listening to since then. It's especially nice to hear What Was Behind at the correct speed.

Looks like Numero is going to trickle this stuff out in different formats. I imagine the legendary "BOXSET" will be one of the options.

Numero's tweets/publicity are over the top and silly, but that's pretty much what I expect from marketing in 2021 and don't really care.
the mean

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:39 pm

My buddy had some Hated tapes that came from band members. I seem to remember one being acoustic stuff. I like what I’ve heard by them and would likely buy straight reissues or some sort of discography. The website makes it sound like stuff is just going to trickle out a song at a time though, which seems ridiculous.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:59 pm

version sound wrote:The website makes it sound like stuff is just going to trickle out a song at a time though, which seems ridiculous.

Agreed. This is from Numero's twitter:

There will be vinyl, cassettes, CDs, t-shirts, and yes, box set(s) in due time. For now we’ll be dribbling their catalog out digitally throughout 2022.
the mean

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Sound like we have to wait until 2023 to buy anything in hard copy format (except t-shirts, they already have those). Good planning.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Was it Troubleman or Gern Blandsten that was supposed to do some kind of discography thing years ago that never happened? Don't remember. Not sure if either label is even active anymore.

I also wonder if there are any actual tapes of this stuff to work from, or if we are going to be treated to a bunch of needledrops that are cleaned up digitally.
patient_ot

Postby the mean » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:26 pm

patient_ot wrote:Was it Troubleman or Gern Blandsten that was supposed to do some kind of discography thing years ago that never happened? Don't remember. Not sure if either label is even active anymore.

Troubleman

patient_ot wrote:I also wonder if there are any actual tapes of this stuff to work from, or if we are going to be treated to a bunch of needledrops that are cleaned up digitally.

As I posted above, there were rips uploaded directly from the master tapes floating around about 10 years ago that sound amazing. I imagine that much of the stuff will come from these. Everything released on vinyl were part of the 3 CDs worth of stuff I downloaded at the time (except, I think, I Am A Rock.) But I think there is going to be lots, lots more as well.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:28 pm

the mean wrote:
patient_ot wrote:Was it Troubleman or Gern Blandsten that was supposed to do some kind of discography thing years ago that never happened? Don't remember. Not sure if either label is even active anymore.

Troubleman

patient_ot wrote:I also wonder if there are any actual tapes of this stuff to work from, or if we are going to be treated to a bunch of needledrops that are cleaned up digitally.

As I posted above, there were rips uploaded directly from the master tapes floating around about 10 years ago that sound amazing. I imagine that much of the stuff will come from these. Everything released on vinyl were part of the 3 CDs worth of stuff I downloaded at the time (except, I think, I Am A Rock.) But I think there is going to be lots, lots more as well.

My guess is no. i think Mike shifted his attention to Italians Do It Better years ago and I think Gern is just catalog at this point, but I'm not 100% sure on either point.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse