Dat Bowie Thread

Dat Bowie Thread

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:13 am

My Top 5 (with an Honorable Mention)
1) Low (especially side 2 but really all of it)
2) Young Americans (yes YA did I stutter?)
3) Ziggy
4) Hunky Dory
5) Scary Monsters

Honorable mention: Station to Station (sometimes creeps into the top 5)

Next tier great: Heroes, Lodger, Aladdin Sane

Best post-1980 albums: Heathen and blackstar

Sleeper/overlooked albums: Tin Machine II (not great but heaps better than anything he'd done since SM)

These are also worth hearing: Let's Dance, Outside, Earthling, The Next Day

Avoid: Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Black Tie White Noise, Hours
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Dat Bowie Thread

Postby Hal » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:18 pm

Reading Chris Frantz memoir recently, I was reminded how much I love the Eno-produced TH albums. It prompted me to give Low a spin last Friday night. First time in a while. Still great, especially side 2. Ziggy is the crown jewel of the catalog though. Blackstar has been the one that I've listened to the most since his death.
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:01 pm

Low (as a whole)
Diamond Dogs
Aladdin Sane.
Ziggy

In that order.

But by songs Imma say

Ashes to Ashes
Life on Mars?
Watch that Man
Let's Dance
Diamond Dogs
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:57 pm

Scary Monsters
Low
Blackstar
Ziggy Stardust
Hunky Dory

Nothing until “Tonight” is truly shitty, then it gets rough for a while.

Soundtrack to “Buddha of Suburbia” is very cool.
Tin Machine albums are cool too. I actually dig the first one a little more.
Last edited by drew on Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drew

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (Bowie mix)

That is all.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:32 am

version sound wrote:Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (Bowie mix)

That is all.

awful
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:52 am

He'll always be a singles artist for me. I could probably list 25-30 songs I absolutely love, but none of the albums in total mean much. Maybe this is because the first thing I ever spent any time really listening to was CHANGESONEBOWIE, followed by the SOUND + VISION box set. All bangers, all night (as Kendall might say).
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 am

Hal wrote:Reading Chris Frantz memoir recently, I was reminded how much I love the Eno-produced TH albums. It prompted me to give Low a spin last Friday night. First time in a while. Still great, especially side 2. Ziggy is the crown jewel of the catalog though. Blackstar has been the one that I've listened to the most since his death.

I love those, too. It's not a coincidence that my favorite TH album is Remain in Light and that I love My Life in the Bush of Ghosts and the related singles, too. Fear of Music is great, too. I think they improved greatly once Eno started guiding their sound, though overall I think TH 77 has better songs than More Songs about Buildings and Food. It's also not a coincidence that I kinda check out after the Eno era, though there are great individual tracks after that for sure.

I find blackstar really hard to listen to, honestly, even though it's really great and I think his best work since at least Heathen. I love how us fellow prog/art rock heads (I think all my favorite punks/hardcore kids are closet aesthetes up to one point or other and you're no exception) all love side 2 of Low. Stay strong. :lol:
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:06 am

drew wrote:Scary Monsters
Low
Blackstar
Ziggy Stardust
Hunky Dory

First one hasn't aged well at all IMO due to its production, but at the time, I really liked "Under the G-d."
JGJR

Postby drew » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:06 am

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:Scary Monsters
Low
Blackstar
Ziggy Stardust
Hunky Dory

First one hasn't aged well at all IMO due to its production, but at the time, I really liked "Under the G-d."

I was at the Murphy’s Law/SOIA/Underdog/Lost Cause show where Bowie was walking around looking for “punks & skins” to be in the “Under the god” video. :D
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:24 am

scannest wrote:He'll always be a singles artist for me. I could probably list 25-30 songs I absolutely love, but none of the albums in total mean much. Maybe this is because the first thing I ever spent any time really listening to was CHANGESONEBOWIE, followed by the SOUND + VISION box set. All bangers, all night (as Kendall might say).

OMG fucking Womsgans (the finale); great reference there

Back to Bowie, the first one I spent a significant time listening to was Ziggy. I liked it, but didn't really love it until later. I also had Young Americans in high school or college, I think. I liked the former and didn't really "get" the latter until I came back to it in 2016 when I listened to the whole catalog. Then it became one of my favorites and has been since then. Anyway, when Bowie *really* hit me was in the late '90s when I got the Rykodisc Singles 1969-1993 comp, then I started getting the albums, etc. so I sort of relate, kinda.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:25 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

That is all.

awful

Look, you know I love you, but don’t be stupid.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm

JGJR wrote:Anyway, when Bowie *really* hit me was in the late '90s when I got the Rykodisc Singles 1969-1993 comp, then I started getting the albums, etc. so I sort of relate, kinda.

When I was kid I always started with the greatest hits or live album. More bang your (parents') buck. The KIDS ARE ALRIGHT soundtrack, LIVE RUST, KISS ALIVE, WINGS GREATEST HITS, ROCK 'N' ROLL MUSIC (that double Beatles set with the silvery cover that came out in '76. I think everyone around my age started with that one unless you had older sibling). With all those artists I eventually picked up the entire catalog, but I started with CHANGESONEBOWIE and never went further.
scannest

Postby drew » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:33 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Anyway, when Bowie *really* hit me was in the late '90s when I got the Rykodisc Singles 1969-1993 comp, then I started getting the albums, etc. so I sort of relate, kinda.

When I was kid I always started with the greatest hits or live album. More bang your (parents') buck. The KIDS ARE ALRIGHT soundtrack, LIVE RUST, KISS ALIVE, WINGS GREATEST HITS, ROCK 'N' ROLL MUSIC (that double Beatles set with the silvery cover that came out in '76. I think everyone around my age started with that one unless you had older sibling). With all those artists I eventually picked up the entire catalog, but I started with CHANGESONEBOWIE and never went further.

My first Beatles was “‘62-‘66” & “‘67-‘70”. The red and the blue. Lol

I had the older sibling. When I was five years old my sister sat me down and had me listen to “Space Oddity” and explained the lyrics. Probably started my obsession with ROCK. When I started flipping through her roecords and wore the grooves out on all the Led Zep, The Who, Stones, Rod, Aerosmith……but I always loved Bowie the most.
I even dig the “Peter And The Wolf” reading. I remember one of the NY radio stations playing that in its entirety really late on a Saturday night………
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:47 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

That is all.

awful

Excuse you?? Excuse YOU???

Yeah, I'm sure if Bowie was alive and you were in his presence and had the chance to chat with him, you'd say...

'Nice to meet you, David. Y'know, the best and only thing you did that was great was.....remixing Raw Power."

:roll: :?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:19 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

That is all.

awful

Yeah, I'm sure if Bowie was alive and you were in his presence and had the chance to chat with him, you'd say...

'Nice to meet you, David. Y'know, the best and only thing you did that was great was.....remixing Raw Power."

100% would. I’m not a Bowie fan. Sue me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:34 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

That is all.

awful

100% would. I’m not a Bowie fan. Sue me.

1) How can anyone NOT be even a casual Bowie fan? It's like you're not even a human and you turned into a Martian or something. But not the Bowie Martian that's a recurring theme in his musical musings.

2) If Iggy was here, he would slap your face.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:52 pm

I listened to LOW today and while I enjoyed most it immensely, JGJR's 2 cents ("Side 2 of LOW is my favorite Bowie") is up there with the worst takes I've read on the Dagboard over the years. And yes, I'm including "SANDINISTA! is the best Clash album" in that category.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:43 pm

Watched 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me' for the first time....and you'll never guess who popped in for a quick visit.
captain2man

Postby pedro » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:24 pm

scannest wrote:I listened to LOW today and while I enjoyed most it immensely, JGJR's 2 cents ("Side 2 of LOW is my favorite Bowie") is up there with the worst takes I've read on the Dagboard over the years. And yes, I'm including "SANDINISTA! is the best Clash album" in that category.

I’m just happy you included the exclamation point.

captain2man wrote:Watched 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me' for the first time....and you'll never guess who popped in for a quick visit.

Oprah?
Hello.
pedro

Postby neutral knieval » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:45 pm

captain2man wrote:Watched 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me' for the first time....and you'll never guess who popped in for a quick visit.

one of my favorite entrances ever. the odd pause, the walking out diagonally at full stride. what did you think of the movie? im a fan of most lynch stuff but thats my favorite.
neutral knieval

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:16 pm

neutral knieval wrote:

one of my favorite entrances ever. the odd pause, the walking out diagonally at full stride. what did you think of the movie? im a fan of most lynch stuff but thats my favorite.

I finished up a rewatch of the full (original) Twin Peaks series....I loved it SO much more the second time through. Even in the episodes during the mid-second season doldrums....I found so much stuff to like.

I really liked the movie....but there's a lot to unpack and I need to watch it again before I finally take the dive into season 3. It's really focused on the horror elements....even moreso than anywhere in the original series. The re-casting of Donna Heyward was a little odd....but in many ways - the "Donna" of 'Fire Walk With Me' felt more like the age the character was supposed to be (a high school student) than Lara Flynn Boyle did (who felt like someone in their mid-20s playing someone in high school). I would like to have spent a little bit more time with the cast that was familiar to me....instead - you really only got quick glimpses.....and many of the characters weren't there at all.....but overall - for a first pass, I enjoyed it. I assume I'll enjoy it more the second time around - which is pretty typical when it comes to Lynch films.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:39 am

scannest wrote:I listened to LOW today and while I enjoyed most it immensely, JGJR's 2 cents ("Side 2 of LOW is my favorite Bowie") is up there with the worst takes I've read on the Dagboard over the years. And yes, I'm including "SANDINISTA! is the best Clash album" in that category.

If you wanna play that game, here are a few of your hot takes.

You think Warning is the best Green Day album?

Recipe for Hate is the best BR album?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:02 pm

JGJR wrote:You think Warning is the best Green Day album?

I've never claimed to be any sort of punk rock purist. I dig songs and those records are the best collection of songs by each band.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:43 pm

pedro wrote:

I’m just happy you included the exclamation point.

And I'm happy that I don't know who would make such an assertion.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:56 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:And I'm happy that I don't know who would make such an assertion.

Of course you do. We love him regardless.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:21 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:And I'm happy that I don't know who would make such an assertion.

Is it Lewdd?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:41 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:You think Warning is the best Green Day album?

I've never claimed to be any sort of punk rock purist. I dig songs and those records are the best collection of songs by each band.

I'm not a purist either (whatever that is) and I like songs, too, but I just prefer 39/Smooth and Generator if I had to pick one album by each band. RFH has its moments and I've gone back to it in more recent years and like it OK now, but it's kinda where I got off the train back in '93 (they brought me back with The Process of Belief) and they were one of my favorite bands for years before that. My point (in case you missed it) is that your takes are as wild/hot/whatever you wanna call it as my sincere preferences for Sandinista! and side 2 of Low.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:41 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Is it Lewdd?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:34 am

JGJR wrote:My point (in case you missed it) is that your takes are as wild/hot/whatever you wanna call it as my sincere preferences for Sandinista! and side 2 of Low.

I thought VS was the Sandinista! stan. Do you also think it's the best Clash record?
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:05 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:My point (in case you missed it) is that your takes are as wild/hot/whatever you wanna call it as my sincere preferences for Sandinista! and side 2 of Low.

I thought VS was the Sandinista! stan. Do you also think it's the best Clash record?

"Best" is arbitrary/subjective and I think a good case could be made for ANY Clash record up to and even including Combat Rock for that honor, but yeah, it's the one I go back to the most over the past two and a half decades mainly because of how much is there and how tough it is to absorb it all and the musical diversity, etc. I did buy a very nice reissue of London Calling recently (this one if you care about that sort of thing: https://www.discogs.com/release/1066570 ... on-Calling) so sometimes I go back and forth but yeah Sandinista! if I had to pick one.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:49 pm

HELLO!

Reality check for everyone.

Sandinista is NOT The Clash' best album. It is awful. And only to be outdone by 'Cut the Crap' for their worst.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:51 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Sandinista is NOT The Clash' best album. It is awful. And only to be outdone by 'Cut the Crap' for their worst.

You're lucky VS finds you more charming than me.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:29 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Sandinista is NOT The Clash' best album. It is awful. And only to be outdone by 'Cut the Crap' for their worst.

You're lucky VS finds you more charming than me.

I'm pretty sure the entire board finds me more charming than you.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse