What’s the most you’ve ever spent on a record or CD?

What’s the most you’ve ever spent on a record or CD?

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:18 pm

Early on (first post?), I asked if anyone was interested in some early Dischords (1, 3, 5, and 6 IIRC) before I put them on eBay. I feel like the general response was outrage that I would sully this sacred ground with talk of commerce. IIRC, Kevin said something like “I thought they were too expensive when they were selling for $15.” I know some of you have dropped a hell of a lot more than that on a single release, so fess up, what’s the most you’ve spent on a single release, be it LP, EP, CD, or even box set?

Most for vinyl:

GISM - Military Affairs Neurotic $160 (sold a few years ago to a shop for the same price because I didn’t feel like dealing with eBay)

Most for CD:

The Pop Group - For How Much Longer/We Are Time Japanese 2-fer $70 (still have it - probably not worth half that now)
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: What’s the most you’ve ever spent on a record or CD?

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:48 pm

I traded a Kustom bass amp which I valued for $100 in trade for a purple cover original of Walk Among Us with sleeve circa 1986??.

Other than that, I bought originals G.I. 'Legless Bull and Youth Brigade' 7"s off of Danny in his rehearsal space around 1997 for $60 each when I visited Emmapeel to work on releasing their 7".

Danny has always liked me. Still does.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:45 am

* On a CD, about a year and a half ago after shipping I spent $30 or $35 USD (I don't recall, it was an Italian seller) on an early Equal Vision Records release called "Kirtan Ecstasy - The Best of the New York Kirtans" that was at the time not available even digitally. It's got some great chanting on it and I'm happy to own.

* On vinyl, up until a couple years ago my limit was always $40 LOL. Since then I'll say two of my bigger ones are:

Sloan "Never Hear The End Of It" double LP in almost mint condition for $155 semi recently
Shudder To Think "Pony Express Record" OG - not sure how the cost worked out on that as I got it in a bundle from a seller with "Get Your Goat" and "Funeral At The Movies" for $200 about a year ago.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:18 am

I bought Elvis Costello's GET HAPPY on double vinyl, pressed at 45 rpm (from MFSL) for $65.
After that, a British (Creation Records) vinyl pressing of Velvet Crush's TEENAGE SYMPHONIES TO GOD for $45.
And then when I was a wee lad I spent $30 on an OG pressing of METAL MACHINE MUSIC, on a dare basically. I just checked and am very disappointed to say it looks like I sold that one at some point.

Oh, and box sets are another story. I spent over $200 on Neil Young's 2nd Archives box set, but seeing that it is currently on Discogs for no less than $580 I'm okay with that.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:26 am

$70 for the Lunchmeat/Mission Impossible split 7"
captain2man

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 am

I spent $30 for a rare Leatherface CD once. No way I'd ever spend more than that.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:52 am

$50 for the deluxe 2xLP .. And The Bees Made Honey in The Lion's Skull

jaybird

Postby neutral knieval » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:04 am

paid 400 for a very clean copy of the maroon cover 'unholy passion'. before that the most was 150 each for 'november coming fire' and a 2nd press of pay to cum with that stamped sleeve. used some of the stimulus money last year for the unholy passion.
neutral knieval

Postby Knutsen » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:50 am

The Lewd - American Wino 120 Deutschmarks back then
Recently
Turbonegro - Apolalypse Dudes on Boomba Rec. 100€
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby version sound » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 am

neutral knieval wrote:paid 400 for a very clean copy of the maroon cover 'unholy passion'. before that the most was 150 each for 'november coming fire' and a 2nd press of pay to cum with that stamped sleeve. used some of the stimulus money last year for the unholy passion.

I had Unholy Passion on white vinyl in the ‘80s. I think I traded it to someone for something or other. I just checked Pop Sike, and the most recent sale of non-autographed copy was over $1,700. Oof.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:29 am

I paid $40 for JFA "Untitled" a bunch of years ago because it was a pristine copy. That was really the only time I've spent that kind of bread

I've def made huge hauls at some record shoppes over the years and spent way too much
drew

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:40 am

I spent $100 on the Blasters Collection comp in 2000, when all their shit was out of print. Same with that Scientists comp. Sub Pop put out. The pre-YouTube/streaming days were dark ones if you wanted to hear something out of print.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:02 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:The pre-YouTube/streaming days were dark ones if you wanted to hear something out of print.

So many times I go to Discogs to check out some rare record and right there is a link to a YouTube video. 9.9 times out of 10 I listen and think, "Yeah, fine but no way I need to spend $$$$ on that."
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby pedro » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:07 am

When Comrade obik was selling all of his stuff I gave him $40 for Big Black's Sound of Impact. I think I gave him like $25 for a copy of the Effigies "Body Bag" single. They are both records I always wanted and I like obik, so I paid more than I normally would have. Never forget Comrade obik.

I think I have told this story before, but when I was in college I participated in a group purchase of an original copy of Germfree Adolescents. This was before it was re-issued in any format. Two guys at my school wanted to buy the record from the old Vinyl Ink in Silver Spring where it was for sale for $80. One guy paid $40 and the other chipped in $20. I chipped in $20 on the condition I got to keep the record. The guy who paid $40 was a trust fund type who was using Daddy's money. He didn't care. The other guy had the "Bondage" single but wanted to hear more. I had to tape the record for them as part of the deal. Now that it has been re-issued in various formats the original goes for about $50.

EDIT: I am not including multiple disc box set type things here. I mean, you are going to pay more when you buy the entire catalog of The Clash, The Beatles, Galaxie 500, Buzzcocks or The Smiths.
Last edited by pedro on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:The pre-YouTube/streaming days were dark ones if you wanted to hear something out of print.

So many times I go to Discogs to check out some rare record and right there is a link to a YouTube video. 9.9 times out of 10 I listen and think, "Yeah, fine but no way I need to spend $$$$ on that."

Yeah, I don’t really understand record collecting — I just wanna hear the music. But I own 12 bass guitars so I shouldn’t be casting any stones.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:57 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Yeah, I don’t really understand record collecting — I just wanna hear the music. But I own 12 bass guitars so I shouldn’t be casting any stones.

I understand record collecting and guitar collecting, but I don’t have the resources or desire to invest in either too heavily. I’m generally too cheap to spend more than maybe $30 on a record. My wife recently bought me Huremics by Dif Juz to complete my Dif Juz vinyl collection - technically not that hard, they only released one LP, one mini-LP, two 12”s, and a comp of the 12”s (with some remixing and re-recording) - but that one was always too expensive for me. She spent $55 for a very nice copy for my birthday, something I wouldn’t have done for myself.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:00 pm

$85 with shipping for a copy of this (Clem Snide EP of Journey covers).

https://www.discogs.com/release/3116803 ... es-Journey

It took years to even find one for sale at a resonable price from a U.S. seller.

CD: not counting box sets and whatnot, probably Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works in the late '90s when it was only available as an import CD. I think it was close to $30 at Vintage Vinyl.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:53 pm

I am not a big spender for single items when it comes to music media.

Around once or twice a year, I will drop $100 or a little more on something I really wanted for a long time. Very rarely will I spend much more than that.

Most of my purchases for used vinyl are in the $5-30 range. For used CDs, it's about the same. I am running out of room for vinyl so very picky with what new stuff I add to my collection. I have more space for CDs but need to do another round of condensing with the Space Saving Sleeves that convert each CD to a mini-LP. Likely a project for 2022.
patient_ot

Postby Dinko » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:40 am

Not gonna tell you how stupid I've been, but I'd pay stupid money for either of those two:

https://www.discogs.com/de/release/1969 ... o-In-Prism
https://www.discogs.com/de/release/2667 ... d-Spanaway

And given the bucks I've shelled out for Seam vinyl, I hope there will never be a boxset.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:33 am

Dinko wrote:
And given the bucks I've shelled out for Seam vinyl, I hope there will never be a boxset.

I was surprised that there's never been one given that Bitch Magnet had one a decade ago on Temporary Residence, so I checked and sure enough, Numero reissued the 1st album Headsparks recently. Maybe they'll do the others? I'd assume if they chose one, they'd do The Problem with Me, but maybe they're planning to reissue them all?

https://numerogroup.com/products/seam-bundle

Sorry to be the bearer of these tidings, but I'm only the messenger lol.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Dinko » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:49 am

JGJR wrote:
Dinko wrote:

I was surprised that there's never been one given that Bitch Magnet had one a decade ago on Temporary Residence, so I checked and sure enough, Numero reissued the 1st album Headsparks recently. Maybe they'll do the others? I'd assume if they chose one, they'd do The Problem with Me, but maybe they're planning to reissue them all?

https://numerogroup.com/products/seam-bundle

Sorry to be the bearer of these tidings, but I'm only the messenger lol.

It's okay, I've been aware of this. Sure looks cool. It's my least favorite of their albums, and my City Slang copy is in pristine condition. I really don't need this. That's what I keep telling myself. But between you and me, the ugly truth is: I just don't want others to have it. Yes, I'm unworthy of x-mas.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Headsparks was the only Seam LP not originally on Touch and Go. So Maybe Numero bought the rights to the others, but I'm not sure you can make that assumption.
the mean

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:07 pm

I just dropped $60 on a UK copy of the Tales of Terror reissue. It's unclear if the US pressing will ever happen.
the mean

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:45 pm

the mean wrote:I just dropped $60 on a UK copy of the Tales of Terror reissue. It's unclear if the US pressing will ever happen.

Totally worth it.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:25 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
the mean wrote:I just dropped $60 on a UK copy of the Tales of Terror reissue. It's unclear if the US pressing will ever happen.

Totally worth it.

This album is sooo good. Ahead of their time, etc.
the mean

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm

the mean wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Totally worth it.

Oh yeah. Did I tell you I saw them? Summer of 1984 at the Pi Lam fraternity on Penn’s campus.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:17 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
the mean wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Totally worth it.

Oh yeah. Did I tell you I saw them? Summer of 1984 at the Pi Lam fraternity on Penn’s campus.

No, you hadn't mentioned that. I can't imagine how Tales of Terror managed to make it across the country in 1984. Not like there was a good touring circuit or they were popular. And I assume they spent any money they had on beer. Those dudes lived hard. Out of the five, two are dead and one had multiple strokes before the age of 50 that makes it hard for him to communicate.
the mean

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:35 pm

the mean wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
the mean wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Totally worth it.

No, you hadn't mentioned that. I can't imagine how Tales of Terror managed to make it across the country in 1984. Not like there was a good touring circuit or they were popular. And I assume they spent any money they had on beer. Those dudes lived hard. Out of the five, two are dead and one had multiple strokes before the age of 50 that makes it hard for him to communicate.

They were second on a bill that included Raw Power and Riistetyt (and maybe Eric-era COC — my memory tends to conflate all the amazing shows I saw that summer). They were in pretty rough shape and they were touring in some weird vehicle like a hearse or fucked-up panel truck. They asked a dude from my school with extreeeeeemmmmmmeeeeelllyyyy permissive parents if they could stay at his house and even he was like, “Sorry. My parents will never go for it.” They played a great set, though.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:14 pm

In case you are interested in some early 90s post-ToT Rat's Ass work:

the mean

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:54 am

the mean wrote:In case you are interested in some early 90s post-ToT Rat's Ass work:

That’s good. Did they do any studio recordings?
xxxHunterxxx

Postby the mean » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:24 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:That’s good. Did they do any studio recordings?

No, none that I know of. Rat's Ass's post-ToT recorded output was pretty limited.

Pirates of Venus may have had a demo, but I've never seen or heard it. There's a live recording here:

His mid-90s band, Hot Rod Shopping Cart, definitely had a demo, and there are a couple songs that ended up on comps. Live video here:
the mean

Return to daghouse