The Punk Rock Museum coming in Vegas

Re: The Punk Rock Museum coming in Vegas

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Weird location since the only punk band from Vegas I can think of is MIA (who moved to OC) but it sounds like it’ll be cool.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby creature » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:15 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Weird location since the only punk band from Vegas I can think of is MIA (who moved to OC) but it sounds like it’ll be cool.

Subterfuge, too
creature

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:36 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Weird location since the only punk band from Vegas I can think of is MIA (who moved to OC) but it sounds like it’ll be cool.

Maybe because it's the location for Punk Rock Bowling... I wonder if it is part of/related to that whole organization?
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Gosh, I wonder why anyone would put a tourist trap like a punk rock museum in a place like Las Vegas. It's a real stumper.
FormerLurker

Postby Knutsen » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:08 pm

Punk Rock Museum sounds fucking aggressive.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:25 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Gosh, I wonder why anyone would put a tourist trap like a punk rock museum in a place like Las Vegas. It's a real stumper.

:lol:
jaybird

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:39 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Gosh, I wonder why anyone would put a tourist trap like a punk rock museum in a place like Las Vegas. It's a real stumper.

Settle down, Craig.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:16 pm

oh dear lord.

If you were not punk rock then, you never will be. Or something like that.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby matt » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:03 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Settle down, Craig.

matt
Site Admin

Postby SamDBL » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:41 pm

:lol: :lol:
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:40 pm

SamDBL wrote:

:lol: :lol:

You guys are real dicks. Punk rock is not here to make money.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:15 am

Is this the thing Fat Mike is doing? I think we got hit up to put stuff in there. It makes perfect sense to put it near PRB. If you’ve ever been to one of those, it’s a total punk griswald family kind of vibe. I remember when we pulled up one year, with the streets overflowing with entire families dressed, head-to-toe, like they were roadies for the Exploited, or something. Our bass player said ‘ah, the re-enactors have arrived’. Lol. Not bagging on it (too much). Everyone seems to be having fun. But such a museum would probably pay its bills for the whole year that weekend. And I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stern bros are also involved in this.
SamDBL

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:32 am

If Joe Strummer came back from the dead and saw what was going on, he'd never stop throwing up.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby SamDBL » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:42 pm

It's the conundrum of countercultures. "Man, everything would be better if everyone saw it *my* way and was anarchist/diy/ethical towards animals/anti-capitalist/anti-nazi/anti-war/liked extreme music/etc..."

Mainstream majority: "Ok, sounds good"

Counterculture: "Fuck off, poser!"
Last edited by SamDBL on Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:19 pm

SamDBL wrote:It's the c0nundrum of countercultures. "Man, everything would be better if everyone saw it *my* way and was anarchist/diy/ethical towards animals/anti-capitalist/anti-nazi/anti-war/liked extreme music/etc..."

Mainstream majority: "Ok, sounds good"

Counterculture: "Fuck off, poser!"

TRUE DAT!!!!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:57 pm

scannest wrote:If Joe Strummer came back from the dead and saw what was going on, he'd never stop throwing up.

Yea, it’s just such bullshit.

If there were an exhibit of Arturo Vega’s photos of The Ramones, some of his initial artwork while coming up with the logo…etc..that would be cool. If it’s “here are the original Ramones leather jackets!” Hanging on manaquinns, that would just be drepressing.
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:48 am

drew wrote:
scannest wrote:If Joe Strummer came back from the dead and saw what was going on, he'd never stop throwing up.

Yea, it’s just such bullshit.

If there were an exhibit of Arturo Vega’s photos of The Ramones, some of his initial artwork while coming up with the logo…etc..that would be cool. If it’s “here are the original Ramones leather jackets!” Hanging on manaquinns, that would just be drepressing.

IIRC, the RRHOF outlet here that was only around a few years in the late 2000s had something like that along with (not sure if it was a replica or the real McCoy) Springsteen's mid-'70s boat of a car, but by far my favorite thing there was the hand-written lyrics for "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" that Elvis Costello wrote while commuting to his job at Elizabeth Arden on the London underground (the subway). It was worth going there just for that, honestly. There was also some Clash stuff there, too, but I forgot what at the moment.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 am

I've been to a couple of rnrhof knock-offs as well as the real thing. I absolutely love seeing artifacts from all those bands. DeeDee's bass, JT's guitar, Joe Strummer's pants, etc.
SamDBL

Postby kel » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:01 pm

I just flew into Vegas a couple weeks ago, had a hankering to get some of that yummy miso sea bass they do at Tao in the Venetian. While there, decided to check out the new Conrad and Crockford's hotel. (I'm a Hilton Diamond pointslut. It's a hobby...)

No shortage of flamboyant musician's memorabilia there at the newly-opened ResortsWorld complex.

:D

Heh.

On the memorabilia theme, a few weeks before my Vegas pop-in, I wanted to hike around the Colorado Red Rocks ampitheater. While there, saw the kinda cool museum they have. Signed guitars and junk from everyone from TOOL to Bonnie Raitt, and of course the famous U2 and John Tesh shows that kinda put it on the wider map. Beautiful facility even without the star power.

I dunno. Generally speaking I don't get too into looking at someone's old shirt they wore on stage, Michael Jackson's glove, or somesuch. A little too hero-worshippy to me, and I'm certainly not going to PAY to see Prince's sweatsocks.

I mean, I can appreciate some Smithsonian-level "this is some recognizable item from Live Aid" or the original Woodstock or something, but, like, Huey Lewis' autographed sportcoat on a wall at some Hard Rock Cafe in Amsterdam? Shrug.

Edit to add: If you ever are in Vegas, I'd recommend the Neon Museum north of the Strip. It's a fun & quick history of the area through neon signage that's been torn down and now shown in their boneyard, along with some neon-signage film props from Tim Burton movies. Musical tie-in: Jimmy Eat World filmed a video there:

kel

Return to daghouse