Life Of Crime

Life Of Crime

Postby SamDBL » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:27 pm

On HBO Max. Holy shit fuck. Some dark, depressing shit. Basically your typical 'let's follow the junkie around and see how they be livin' documentary. Except it starts in 1984 and spans almost 40 years. So you see these pathetic wretch's entire adult lives play out before your eyes, basically.
SamDBL

Re: Life Of Crime

Postby jaybird » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:06 pm

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:39 pm

jaybird wrote:

My first thought, too, but it all goes back to this.

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:24 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Yeah, i went with the LH version because A) Hometown pride and B) John and Larissa's well known issues with heroin, etc, which ties back to the thread topic... Were any of the Weirdos riding the White Horse?
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Yeah, i went with the LH version because A) Hometown pride and B) John and Larissa's well known issues with heroin, etc, which ties back to the thread topic... Were any of the Weirdos riding the White Horse?

Fair; some folks prefer the LH version, it's a super well-regarded cover, etc. as far as the Weirdos go, I don't think any of them had issues of that sort, but given that their initial run was in late '70s/early '80s LA, I wouldn't be surprised.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:10 pm

SamDBL wrote:On HBO Max. Holy shit fuck. Some dark, depressing shit. Basically your typical 'let's follow the junkie around and see how they be livin' documentary. Except it starts in 1984 and spans almost 40 years. So you see these pathetic wretch's entire adult lives play out before your eyes, basically.

Have you not seen Trainspotting?

Plus I watched a few similar episodes of Intervention on A and E. Depressing. Glad I never tried dope.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:13 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
SamDBL wrote:On HBO Max. Holy shit fuck. Some dark, depressing shit. Basically your typical 'let's follow the junkie around and see how they be livin' documentary. Except it starts in 1984 and spans almost 40 years. So you see these pathetic wretch's entire adult lives play out before your eyes, basically.

Have you not seen Trainspotting?

Plus I watched a few similar episodes of Intervention on A and E. Depressing. Glad I never tried dope.

I have seen Trainspotting. Drugs are terrible. This doc caught me off guard because it's such a long span. You *really* see how it ruins (and ends) entire lives, start to finish.
SamDBL

Postby captain2man » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:20 am

Watched it in pieces over the weekend....and then felt like I was in pieces. Absolutely brutal. We know what goes on, but seeing it over the course of a 36-year-span was really something. Thank you & no thank you at the same time for bringing this one to my attention.
captain2man

Postby jaybird » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Just finished this... tough watch. Felt bad for the little kids who had to grow up surrounded by all that chaos and degradation.
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Intense. Watching them constantly try and *almost* get their shit together in a life-long battle that they inevitably lose was very dramatic. Not to mention seeing the transformation of a young, charismatic, vibrant person with a family and potential degrade into a lonely old homeless person before the final stage of becoming a decomposed, near-anonymous bloated corpse in a rent controlled shit hole… good god, life can be an ass-kicker.
Last edited by SamDBL on Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:19 pm

Also, I wonder what happened to the woman-beating little psycho that opted out early on? I was hopping for an update on him. I can’t imagine he fared much better than the others.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:45 pm

I may watch this after MAYANS.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:00 am

SamDBL wrote:Also, I wonder what happened to the woman-beating little psycho that opted out early on? I was hopping for an update on him. I can’t imagine he fared much better than the others.

Watched the first hour last night. This loudmouth guy, beating on his girl like that and then crying like a little bitch to his mommy from jail. I don't feel bad about any beatings he may have received while in prison.
Hal

Postby SamDBL » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:33 am

Hal wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Also, I wonder what happened to the woman-beating little psycho that opted out early on? I was hopping for an update on him. I can’t imagine he fared much better than the others.

Watched the first hour last night. This loudmouth guy, beating on his girl like that and then crying like a little bitch to his mommy from jail. I don't feel bad about any beatings he may have received while in prison.

Yeah that whole story progression was just too perfect. It shows him a couple years later in jail, and he just looks like a bulked up prison thug. But I still wonder how shit turned out for him.

I recently listened to a podcast that talked about how, more than gender or race or whatever, the *real* determining factor of success in our society is intelligence. Our culture is naturally set up for people of average and above average intellect to have a decent quality of life. And if any thing should be legislated to correct inequities, it should be directed towards giving genuine dumbasses breaks.

It makes sense in tandem with this documentary. I’ve known plenty of people in life that were not mentally or emotionally deficient enough to qualify as mentally disabled… but damn close. They typically end up living in someone’s spare bedroom, never able to hold down whatever shitty labor job they get, usually some sort of drug addiction. Much of the time, intertwined in the legal system because they fuck up once and are too dumb to get out of the endless cycle of probations, fines, counseling, etc. God forbid they cross paths with someone similar of the opposite sex and have a kid or two with zero ability to care for even themselves. Anyway, the people in this doc seem to be exactly these types. I also get the impression that a lot of the prison population falls into this category.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:49 pm

SamDBL wrote:
Hal wrote:

Yeah that whole story progression was just too perfect. It shows him a couple years later in jail, and he just looks like a bulked up prison thug. But I still wonder how shit turned out for him.

I recently listened to a podcast that talked about how, more than gender or race or whatever, the *real* determining factor of success in our society is intelligence. Our culture is naturally set up for people of average and above average intellect to have a decent quality of life. And if any thing should be legislated to correct inequities, it should be directed towards giving genuine dumbasses breaks.

It makes sense in tandem with this documentary. I’ve known plenty of people in life that were not mentally or emotionally deficient enough to qualify as mentally disabled… but damn close. They typically end up living in someone’s spare bedroom, never able to hold down whatever shitty labor job they get, usually some sort of drug addiction. Much of the time, intertwined in the legal system because they fuck up once and are too dumb to get out of the endless cycle of probations, fines, counseling, etc. God forbid they cross paths with someone similar of the opposite sex and have a kid or two with zero ability to care for even themselves. Anyway, the people in this doc seem to be exactly these types. I also get the impression that a lot of the prison population falls into this category.

jaybird

Postby target » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:49 pm

“ Our culture is naturally set up for people of average and above average intellect to have a decent quality of life.”

What utter and complete bullshit. How is our culture “naturally set up?” The invisible hand of the market?
target

Postby SamDBL » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:14 pm

target wrote:“ Our culture is naturally set up for people of average and above average intellect to have a decent quality of life.”

What utter and complete bullshit. How is our culture “naturally set up?” The invisible hand of the market?

I’m not sure what you’re asking. Are you taking issue with the idea that a meritocracy transcends most cultures? Or are you implying that you don’t think a person with an IQ of 120 will fare better than someone with an IQ of 79 in such a system?
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:41 pm

I think it's more accurate to say that our society is structured such that it increasingly favors people of higher intelligence... like 120+... the top 15-20% of the population. People with lower IQs will likely have an increasingly harder time economically as more and more jobs continue to be outsourced, automated or made obsolete by advancing technology ... and they can look forward to joining the tens of millions people already on the low end of the IQ and income distribution and a bright future of service-industry wage slaving, opioid abuse, prison, etc.... assuming it doesn't all actually collapse first
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:31 pm

jaybird wrote:I think it's more accurate to say that our society is structured such that it increasingly favors people of higher intelligence... like 120+... the top 15-20% of the population. People with lower IQs will likely have an increasingly harder time economically as more and more jobs continue to be outsourced, automated or made obsolete by advancing technology ... and they can look forward to joining the tens of millions people already on the low end of the IQ and income distribution and a bright future of service-industry wage slaving, opioid abuse, prison, etc.... assuming it doesn't all actually collapse first

For sure. I just think there’s an area in below average IQ that is destined to be fucked. Not quite low enough to qualify for the allowances set aside for mentally disabled. But too low to have any good decision making skills, have any sort of emotional maturation to relate to others in a healthy way, or know the importance of behaving rationally or think ahead, extra susceptible to bad ideas, low levels of empathy, etc. I’m not saying it’s a forgone conclusion that genetic dipshits will end up in shitty circumstances. But the odds are definitely stacked against them.
SamDBL

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:43 am

target wrote:What utter and complete bullshit. How is our culture “naturally set up?” The invisible hand of the market?

Forget it, target. It's the Dagboard.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby SamDBL » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:00 am

scannest wrote:
target wrote:What utter and complete bullshit. How is our culture “naturally set up?” The invisible hand of the market?

Forget it, target. It's the Dagboard.

Bullshit. Make your claim, motherufucker. Rebut or admit humiliating defeat.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:26 pm

jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
Hal wrote:

That tells me everything I need to know about your sources.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:00 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
Hal wrote:

LOL... of course you can't even begin to consider his argument on the merits - which was actually not even an argument, just simple statement of facts on the history of IQ research and population demographics - because he's been turned into some alt-right bogeyman by the usual brigade of social media/social justice clowns.... which therefore tells me everything I need to know about your willingness to honestly discuss any viewpoints or evidence that conflict with your own.

Good day, sir!.... I SAID GOOD DAY!
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:38 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
Hal wrote:

LOL... of course you can't even begin to consider his argument on the merits - which was actually not even an argument, just simple statement of facts on the history of IQ research and population demographics - because he's been turned into some alt-right bogeyman by the usual brigade of social media/social justice clowns.... which therefore tells me everything I need to know about your willingness to honestly discuss any viewpoints or evidence that conflict with your own.

Just to clarify, I'm generally happy to do that, just not on a punk rock message board. I'm not saying that (as I said the other week) a broken clock can't be right twice a day or that everything shouldn't be evaluated on its own merits, because I really do believe in giving credit where it's due no matter what someone's views are, but did you stop to think WHY he's being turned into a bogeyman (your words, not mine). I think it's well-warranted and appropriate, but what you and others are doing is reacting to the backlash and defending him and others like him reflexively.

I'll say this much, though. target is right. Nothing in our society has much to do with the natural order. That's usually used as an excuse to take advantage of people and exploit them and continue prevalent abuse. t's all organized/planned. If you don't understand that, you understand very little even if you a PhD in rocket science.

My greater point? The source of an argument is incredibly important, especially in media. There is always a bias, so yes I'm a bit less likely to consider the POV of someone whose ideology doesn't speak to me or who I think has purposely spread anti-trans stuff and I'm not apologizing for it. Now YOU have a good day as well, sir.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:19 pm

WHY he's being turned into a bogeyman (your words, not mine). I think it's well-warranted and appropriate, but what you and others are doing is reacting to the backlash and defending him and others like him reflexively.

Your response makes that apparent. To avoid addressing the his claims.

I'll say this much, though. target is right. Nothing in our society has much to do with the natural order. That's usually used as an excuse to take advantage of people and exploit them and continue prevalent abuse. t's all organized/planned. If you don't understand that, you understand very little even if you a PhD in rocket science.

This is beyond ridiculous. The natural state of things is an unbridled meritocracy in the most basic sense imaginable. Throughout history, there were very few socialist utopias (sorry to break it to you). More like endless enslavement, warring and conquering based on brute strength.
In any case, you both totally misread my post (not surprising). I wasn't actually saying a capitalist society is a state of natural order. I was saying that as a capitalist society that supposedly at least *strives* for a meritocracy of abilities, *obviously* higher IQ individuals are going to be favored over below average IQ individuals. As in, it's a *natural* consequence of such a system, you knee-jerk dipshits.
Although since you brought it up, any system that favors survival-of-the-fittest meritocracy *is* closest to the natural state of things. You religious people are hilarious.

My greater point? The source of an argument is incredibly important, especially in media. There is always a bias, so yes I'm a bit less likely to consider the POV of someone whose ideology doesn't speak to me or who I think has purposely spread anti-trans stuff and I'm not apologizing for it. Now YOU have a good day as well, sir.

Critically speaking, the source of an argument is actually not important. The content of the argument and whether it's compelling or not is really the only thing that should matter. But since I'm more of a liberal than you, I guess I think a little differently. Carry on.
Last edited by SamDBL on Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:36 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
Hal wrote:

Just to clarify, I'm generally happy to do that, just not on a punk rock message board. I'm not saying that (as I said the other week) a broken clock can't be right twice a day or that everything shouldn't be evaluated on its own merits, because I really do believe in giving credit where it's due no matter what someone's views are, but did you stop to think WHY he's being turned into a bogeyman (your words, not mine). I think it's well-warranted and appropriate, but what you and others are doing is reacting to the backlash and defending him and others like him reflexively.

He's been turned into an alt-tight bogeyman because he is a prominent and significant - and I would also say difficult-to-easily-refute critic of many aspects of far-left orthodoxy, particularly around questions of gender norms and feminism. He may be right or wrong in some or any of his criticisms... I think he doesn't do himself any favors and often gets into trouble when he wades into areas well outside of his professional experience in psychology and social science... His bizarre dietary/nutrition sideline with his daughter borders on snake-oil carnival barking, for example - but the fact that so many on the modern left are instantly triggered at the mere mention of his name, even on topics/areas where he has long-standing expertise in the field is more than telling, IMO.

Sam just re-explained his take on the "natural state" of society better than I could, and I agree with it, so that's that.

I also completely disagree that Peterson is "anti-trans". He IS anti- having the government mandate the use of specific pronouns and such, which is a completely reasonable position, and has nothing to do with what one actually thinks of trans people.

GOOD DAY Again!
Last edited by jaybird on Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaybird

Postby target » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Sam! No need to call me names. And don’t blame me for misreading if your post lacked clarify and specificity
target

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:06 am

target wrote:Sam! No need to call me names. And don’t blame me for misreading if your post lacked clarify and specificity

Seconded; furthermore, how do you expect me to want to sustain this discussion if you consistently insult me, call me a dipshit or whatever. I'm done with this.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am

SamDBL wrote:
WHY he's being turned into a bogeyman (your words, not mine). I think it's well-warranted and appropriate, but what you and others are doing is reacting to the backlash and defending him and others like him reflexively.

This is beyond ridiculous. The natural state of things is an unbridled meritocracy in the most basic sense imaginable. Throughout history, there were very few socialist utopias (sorry to break it to you). More like endless enslavement, warring and conquering based on brute strength.
In any case, you both totally misread my post (not surprising). I wasn't actually saying a capitalist society is a state of natural order. I was saying that as a capitalist society that supposedly at least *strives* for a meritocracy of abilities, *obviously* higher IQ individuals are going to be favored over below average IQ individuals. As in, it's a *natural* consequence of such a system, you knee-jerk dipshits.
Although since you brought it up, any system that favors survival-of-the-fittest meritocracy *is* closest to the natural state of things. You religious people are hilarious.

Critically speaking, the source of an argument is actually not important. The content of the argument and whether it's compelling or not is really the only thing that should matter. But since I'm more of a liberal than you, I guess I think a little differently. Carry on.

The fact that you think that would piss me off is beyond laughable. I told you a million fucking times that while I used to call myself that before I became a Democratic Socialist, I no longer do because of its associations with neoliberalism, corporate Dems, et al. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not that you're more of a liberal than anyone else here. You're just an asshole and a troll. Now please go fuck off into whatever hellscape of the internets you came from, whether it's the dork board or somewhere else. I am fucking done with this (for the 2nd time).
JGJR

Postby the mean » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:41 am

jaybird wrote:

Crossover thread. Listening to this LP right now.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:12 pm

JGJR wrote: I'm done with this.

So you keep saying.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:17 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

The fact that you think that would piss me off is beyond laughable. I told you a million fucking times that while I used to call myself that before I became a Democratic Socialist, I no longer do because of its associations with neoliberalism, corporate Dems, et al. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not that you're more of a liberal than anyone else here. You're just an asshole and a troll. Now please go fuck off into whatever hellscape of the internets you came from, whether it's the dork board or somewhere else. I am fucking done with this (for the 2nd time).

Hey wait... weren't you just whining about me calling you names? This is exactly the lack of logical follow-through that I'd expect from a party-line Democrat that doesn't really think through any of the positions he stakes his entire identity on. *tsk*
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:18 am

SamDBL wrote:
JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Hey wait... weren't you just whining about me calling you names? This is exactly the lack of logical follow-through that I'd expect from a party-line Democrat that doesn't really think through any of the positions he stakes his entire identity on. *tsk*

I'm most certainly not a party-line Democrat and am only a registered Democrat because the real elections here are the primaries anyway. I was an independent in the '90s, have voted Green, etc. There's no real left-wing party in this country that has any electoral pull or influence, so there's that, too, but I certainly don't have any warm and fuzzy feelings towards the DNC, DCCC, the national party, most Dems, etc.

Plus, don't insult me. I've most definitely thought about this stuff a lot since I was 14 or so. If I never thought about it, I would not be here today, homes. :lol:
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:21 am

SamDBL wrote:
JGJR wrote: I'm done with this.

So you keep saying.

JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:32 am

Started watching this. Kinda depressing, but after about a half hour it's like "ok, these people actually want to live this way, so I don't really care anymore."
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:34 am

FormerLurker wrote:Started watching this. Kinda depressing, but after about a half hour it's like "ok, these people actually want to live this way, so I don't really care anymore."

This is kinda how I felt after the first hour or so of that Beatles doc on Disney+
jaybird

Postby akissfan » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:45 pm

Again, thought this was a Zoetrope thread.

akissfan

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:27 am

jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:Started watching this. Kinda depressing, but after about a half hour it's like "ok, these people actually want to live this way, so I don't really care anymore."

This is kinda how I felt after the first hour or so of that Beatles doc on Disney+

:lol:
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:28 am

FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:

SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:45 am

SamDBL wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I wonder how many other bands are sitting on hours ands hours of video tape of their rehearsals/jam sessions/just farting around in the studio...?

We'll probably find out in the next year or two
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:23 am

SamDBL wrote:Intense. Watching them constantly try and *almost* get their shit together in a life-long battle that they inevitably lose was very dramatic. Not to mention seeing the transformation of a young, charismatic, vibrant person with a family and potential degrade into a lonely old homeless person before the final stage of becoming a decomposed, near-anonymous bloated corpse in a rent controlled shit hole… good god, life can be an ass-kicker.

That was the most stunning part, just grindcore AF. I nearly vomited, which is rare for me with something like that. And all the cops and coroners in the room weren't fazed one bit.
FormerLurker

Postby matt » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:51 am

FormerLurker wrote:That was the most stunning part, just grindcore AF. I nearly vomited, which is rare for me with something like that. And all the cops and coroners in the room weren't fazed one bit.

A few years back, the family and I were rafting on the Colorado river and we found the body of a fisherman that had drowned. Looked a lot like that.
matt
Site Admin

Postby jaybird » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:53 am

FormerLurker wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Intense. Watching them constantly try and *almost* get their shit together in a life-long battle that they inevitably lose was very dramatic. Not to mention seeing the transformation of a young, charismatic, vibrant person with a family and potential degrade into a lonely old homeless person before the final stage of becoming a decomposed, near-anonymous bloated corpse in a rent controlled shit hole… good god, life can be an ass-kicker.

That was the most stunning part, just grindcore AF. I nearly vomited, which is rare for me with something like that. And all the cops and coroners in the room weren't fazed one bit.

When my uncle retired from the Detroit PD, he went to work for the Oakland County Coroner's office, driving one of the 'Meat Wagons". He always has some gnarly stories to tell over Thanksgiving/Xmas dinner every year.
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:56 am

FormerLurker wrote:

Can you imagine the smell, in person? Fuckin christ. Would probably make a newb vomit until they passed out into a mild coma.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:59 am

jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

When my uncle retired from the Detroit PD, he went to work for the Oakland County Coroner's office, driving one of the 'Meat Wagons". He always has some gnarly stories to tell over Thanksgiving/Xmas dinner every year.

I knew a guy that took a job collecting bodies for the city. He lasted about 48 hours. I think encountering a child that'd been killed in a car wreck caused him to immediately quit on the scene. I'd like to think I could deal with the physical discomfort. But I think having the futility and pointlessness of life constantly thrown in my face would fuck me up.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:07 pm

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

I knew a guy that took a job collecting bodies for the city. He lasted about 48 hours. I think encountering a child that'd been killed in a car wreck caused him to immediately quit on the scene.

Yeah, it's probably not the best idea to try to jump into a job like that from otherwise "civilian" life. But after a career of seeing the worst shit one of the highest-crime cities in America can dish out for 35 years, it's probably just another day at the office.

The best one he's told recently was how they went to pick up a suicide-by-hanging... when they got there, the body was still hanging from the rafters, and had been for a few days... one guy had to try to hold the body by the waist/chest, while my uncle got on a ladder to cut the dude down... he said as soon as he cut the rope, the body just slid out of it's skin from the waist up like a rotten banana... splat.

jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:12 pm

jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

I knew a guy that took a job collecting bodies for the city. He lasted about 48 hours. I think encountering a child that'd been killed in a car wreck caused him to immediately quit on the scene.

Yeah, it's probably not the best idea to try to jump into a job like that from otherwise "civilian" life. But after a career of seeing the worst shit one of the highest-crime cities in America can dish out for 35 years, it's probably just another day at the office.

The best one he's told recently was how they went to pick up a suicide-by-hanging... when they got there, the body was still hanging from the rafters, and had been for a few days... one guy had to try to hold the body by the waist/chest, while my uncle got on a ladder to cut the dude down... he said as soon as he cut the rope, the body just slid out of it's skin from the waist up like a rotten banana... splat.

Good God almighty. Somehow I've read about that stage of decay in the morbid books I used to read as a kid. It's called 'slippage'. Fuck. Just think... we are all going to be there one day. Merry Christmas!
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:19 pm

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

Good God almighty. Somehow I've read about that stage of decay in the morbid books I used to read as a kid. It's called 'slippage'. Fuck. Just think... we are all going to be there one day. Merry Christmas!

jaybird

Postby kel » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:56 pm

SamDBL wrote:But I think having the futility and pointlessness of life constantly thrown in my face would fuck me up.

Which is sort of like what spending too much time on Facebook & Twitter is doing to everyone. :lol:

Seriously though, I'd never wish the crap doctors/nurses/cops/firemen/etc see routinely on most people. That said, while it does mess with you, there's also LOT of people that could use a dose of how the world works and reality injected into their weltanschauung. A Slap of Reality if you will.
I know the first time I saw people die in a fire certainly caused some adjustments to how I viewed the world... my childlike thoughts on how "things should be" grew up and became a little more in line with how "things really are".

Something that really hit home once... Like most children, I grew up with the idea of fair play... how you should be able to reason with anyone, no? Gas station, badguy goes in and does the "your money or your life" line to the clerk. Clerk hands him the till. Badguy stabs him to death anyway for whatever his reasons were. I was like "Wait! Clerk followed the rules! The escape plan was to comply!" But guess what? In the real world, there's monsters, there's sharp things, there's evil people. Things that defy social programs, politics, justice, Hollywood endings, and fair play.

Side note to all the hanging/body found stories: It's always sad/hilarious to get in a chummy old times talk with a bunch of firemen and/or cops. Stories always start out with fun yarns "So I pulled over this guy doing 75 in a school zone - no pants, cocaine on his nose, and he says, - get this - "I'm on my way to a funeral!" (all laugh) then, in the back and forth banter, someone always tells the accidental mood killer story. Something like "So there's this ten car pile up, and I go to find the driver of the middle car, and - he's got no head. I had to dig it out from underneath the car, but I didn't want to have his 5 year old see it..." and everyone goes quiet and does the thousand yard stare.

Happens Every. Single. Time.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Like Sting sings "Lest we forget how fragile we are."
kel

Postby scannest » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:24 am

I just caught up with this. That final shot of the funeral home sign was a gut punch like I haven't felt in awhile. You're so ready to see one of them get out alive, and then...
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Next

Return to daghouse